Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2023, 03:36 PM   #3571
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

imagine how dudes in jail feel.... LOL

I'll take the dodgy saddle any day.

In all seriousness though, a pair of padded knicks under your shorts will help no end.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #3572
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
imagine how dudes in jail feel.... LOL

I'll take the dodgy saddle any day.

In all seriousness though, a pair of padded knicks under your shorts will help no end.
Would love to see a picture of Tonz in his knicks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 08:45 PM   #3573
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rest assured you ain't never going to see that. It won't ever happen.
the wife does often mention I have strange ideas but even she would stop that effort.
Old 22-02-2023, 08:52 AM   #3574
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A good chamois padded short works wonders, ive been back riding about 6 years and only discovered them about 3 years ago!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #3575
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Agreed.
Tonz could buy some NZ manufactured "Ground Effects" cycling shorts ("Supertankers" come to mind) with the chamois already built in. Just look like regular shorts, so you don't have to be a lycra lad.

This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2023, 10:15 PM   #3576
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Haven't ridden since Feb. Back injury. Had surgery mid July. L5 S1 microdiscectomy.

It's been a long road back. I can now walk without getting sore. I started back on the trainer about 2 months ago, just light spinning for up to 20mins. Just recently I've started to do a couple of work outs at reduced FTP. Hoping to do some easy outdoor rides in the coming weeks. Need to rebuild back and core strength.

To say I miss riding is an understatement.
Over xmas I went to Brisbane to visit the folks and rode 3 times whilst there, each time for about an hour, just cruising with my sister. Pulled up sore after each ride so shelved it for a bit longer.

About a couple of weeks after getting back home my recovery took a bit of a dive and I ended up needing another couple of weeks off work. Felt like back to square one. Very frustrating. After those 2 weeks off though I've actually improved a lot and last Saturday 4th march I ventured out into the real world again on my roadie. Did 43km and felt pretty good. Was sore the next day but not too bad. Improved during the week, spending time on the trainer and a walk or two and then yesterday headed out once more for another outdoor ride.

Here's the aftermath of what happened..
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/GNxxIIAy6xb
Garmin file corrupted too just to top it off..

Some 13yr old on his e scooter just came straight out on to the path from the train station. I had no time to react and just cleaned him up. I take it pretty ready through there too but still had no chance. Thankfully we both walked away.

I'm super sore in my forearms and left shoulder today but thankfully my back still seems ok. It's sore, but no worse than where it was.

Bike is damaged. Mainly front wheel but there is a decent scrape, quite deep on the forks and some cosmetic scratches on the shifters and derailleur. Bike is covered by insurance and in being assessed at the moment although won't get a quite until next Friday. Still gong to cost $500 in excess.

So not a great return to outdoor cycling. 2nd ride back and I found the pavement.

Very tempted to give up on the roadie and get a cx/gravel bike, but I do still like what the roadie offers.
Old 13-03-2023, 08:31 AM   #3577
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Bugger Rob thats not ideal at all and atleast you are mostly ok
I have been considering a road bike but i dont think i could ever get into it. A gravel bike possibly but still not sure id get into it.
Im still plugging away on the ebike. 34km yesterday, even after a late by my standards the night before.
Did a little more exploring of the trails i usually ride, there seems to be a heap ive not ridden
34km
900m Climbing
Bike clicked over 1000km also last weekend. Still on the original drivetrain also. Ive seen a few owners having to change cassettes/chains etc well before that. Shows that looking after ya gear makes it last.

Also speaking of gravel riding. There were 3 gravel riders going down a steep descent, i came up behind and tried my best to pick a line around them, ended up being tight. I got to the bottom a lot quicker than they did, was stopped having a drink and i could hear them as they were coming down saying something about how i went passed. I think the bikes they were on were well out of their depths.
- Antz Turboside Intake
4 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2023, 09:49 AM   #3578
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Sorry to hear Rob. I know the exact location you took the tumble too. I often am cautious considering numpties always exit that walkway without looking. It can be a bit hair raising. Hopefully you feel better soon mate. A gravel/CX bike is something I am in the process of looking at myself. Rest up bro

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #3579
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Bike clicked over 1000km also last weekend. Still on the original drivetrain also. Ive seen a few owners having to change cassettes/chains etc well before that. Shows that looking after ya gear makes it last.
Obviously off road can potentially wear out your components quicker with the dust etc but yes, keeping your drive train clean is critical.

The general consensus with road bikes is to change chains every 5k and cassettes every 10k, which prolongs the life of the chain rings. I take a slightly different approach. I run the chain to its wear limit and then change both chain and cassette together. Generally well over 10k. Yes, this wears the chain rings quicker but the cost of the chain ring isn't that high compared to the chain and cassette. It never made sense to me to run twice as many chains, around $70ea to protect a $100 chain ring.

I never cross chain, which means when on the small chain ring, I don't use the bottom 3 gears on the cassette and when in the big chain ring I don't use the top 3 gears on the cassette. This really helps prolong your chain life.

The bike I crashed has just shy of 20k km on it and both chain rings original and only changed cassette and chain once.

Last edited by prydey; 13-03-2023 at 10:44 AM.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #3580
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Sorry to hear Rob. I know the exact location you took the tumble too. I often am cautious considering numpties always exit that walkway without looking. It can be a bit hair raising.
I emailed Adelaide metro regarding the lack of signage or bollards or mirror as you exit the bridge on to the path. I went in to the walk bridge expecting to see some kind of warning or give way sign but there's nothing. I took a few pics. Not expecting a response or a change though.
Old 13-03-2023, 10:52 AM   #3581
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Over xmas I went to Brisbane to visit the folks and rode 3 times whilst there, each time for about an hour, just cruising with my sister. Pulled up sore after each ride so shelved it for a bit longer.

About a couple of weeks after getting back home my recovery took a bit of a dive and I ended up needing another couple of weeks off work. Felt like back to square one. Very frustrating. After those 2 weeks off though I've actually improved a lot and last Saturday 4th march I ventured out into the real world again on my roadie. Did 43km and felt pretty good. Was sore the next day but not too bad. Improved during the week, spending time on the trainer and a walk or two and then yesterday headed out once more for another outdoor ride.

Here's the aftermath of what happened..
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/GNxxIIAy6xb
Garmin file corrupted too just to top it off..

Some 13yr old on his e scooter just came straight out on to the path from the train station. I had no time to react and just cleaned him up. I take it pretty ready through there too but still had no chance. Thankfully we both walked away.

I'm super sore in my forearms and left shoulder today but thankfully my back still seems ok. It's sore, but no worse than where it was.

Bike is damaged. Mainly front wheel but there is a decent scrape, quite deep on the forks and some cosmetic scratches on the shifters and derailleur. Bike is covered by insurance and in being assessed at the moment although won't get a quite until next Friday. Still gong to cost $500 in excess.

So not a great return to outdoor cycling. 2nd ride back and I found the pavement.

Very tempted to give up on the roadie and get a cx/gravel bike, but I do still like what the roadie offers.

good to hear your ok. take it easy.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #3582
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

New whip day
2022 Giant Trance X Advanced E+1.

Pretty stoked to try something different although i would have got the current year model of my last bike if it were available.
Short run down
Full carbon frame
150mm Fox 36 forks with live valve
140mm Fox Float X rear shock
85nm motor by Yamaha (Giant partnership)

I need to get my head around the live valve and maybe fit a shorter travel dropper post. But its a stunning looking thing.
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2023, 05:03 PM   #3583
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
New whip day
Nice ride.

Old 23-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #3584
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Nice ride.
Thanks mate. Hoping to get it out in the next cpl days.
Just needs some tyre inserts in it, its set up tubeless.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 23-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #3585
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Thanks mate. Hoping to get it out in the next cpl days.
Just needs some tyre inserts in it, its set up tubeless.
Yeah, think I like good old tube tyres.

Old 23-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #3586
prydey
Rob

Quote:
New whip day

Pretty stoked to try something different although i would have got the current year model of my last bike if it were available.
Nice one.

I have a new bike coming. Still supply issues with bikes. Mines still 6 weeks away. Can't wait to get back out there.
Old 24-04-2023, 03:30 PM   #3587
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, think I like good old tube tyres.
Before i had my bikes fitted with tyre inserts but set up tubeless. I always carried a spare tube.
With tyre inserts its pointless as its near on impossible to get a tyre off with a tyre insert whilst out on the trail, (bloody hard enough to do in the workshop at work ) And even if you can, you have to take the insert with you.
But on a bike that weighs 22kg they are handy!
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 29-04-2023, 05:24 PM   #3588
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
New whip day

Short run down
Full carbon frame
150mm Fox 36 forks with live valve
140mm Fox Float X rear shock
85nm motor by Yamaha (Giant partnership)

I need to get my head around the live valve and maybe fit a shorter travel dropper post. But its a stunning looking thing.

Well that was short lived, discovered a size L is a tad too big. So its back on the shop floor. Ive always been between M and L depending geometry. This one even with a shorter travel dropper was never going to be ideal. Ill be safe on a medium i hope.
One of these in transit.
This is a 2023 model, but one model down from the previous which is no problems for me, its still well decked out spec wise.

Hoping to get this old girl out tommorrow. Whilst ebikes are epic i dont think they make you fit
- Antz Turboside Intake
4 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #3589
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I recommend a professional bike fit also mate. It helps no end with comfort.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-04-2023, 07:46 AM   #3590
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Whilst ebikes are epic i dont think they make you fit
I don't believe young riders should be over relying on them, tbh.

Can understand them as an aid but it seems like everyone is riding gently sloped railtrails on them now.

Old 30-04-2023, 09:11 AM   #3591
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I recommend a professional bike fit also mate. It helps no end with comfort.
Probably a good idea but ive never looked at it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
I don't believe young riders should be over relying on them, tbh.

Can understand them as an aid but it seems like everyone is riding gently sloped railtrails on them now.
It may have ruined me a little i dunno, this time last year i was preparing not doing a lot to get ready for my first enduro stage race. This year id battler to complete it i think. That to me speaks volumes. I mean i wasnt super fit (had the wuhan virus a few weeks prior also) and yeah it was taxing but i got through.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2023, 09:32 AM   #3592
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

It may have ruined me a little i dunno, this time last year i was preparing not doing a lot to get ready for my first enduro stage race.
In the last century, I would do all my commuting/training on road on the full suspension mtb dragging 2.3 Ritchey Z max tyres.

It served me 2 purposes, it was good strength building for work but it also gave me an advantage when it came time to do individual road time trials riding a lightweight.
Electric, I can see the advantages but its not for me.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2023, 08:31 PM   #3593
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

New bike arrived.
Built it up today.
Took the Shimano Shifter/Derailleur off it
Fitted Sram AXS.
- Antz Turboside Intake
4 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2023, 12:35 AM   #3594
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Any of you lads into watching the Giro d'Italia?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #3595
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Been meaning to ! but keep forgetting it's on.

IMO The Giro is better that the Tour de France.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:57 PM   #3596
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Been meaning to ! but keep forgetting it's on.

IMO The Giro is better that the Tour de France.
Aussie Michael Matthews won last nights stage! Was an uphill sprint finish.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 01:42 PM   #3597
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Aussie Michael Matthews won last nights stage! Was an uphill sprint finish.
Watched the highlights last night, it was a pretty good stage by the looks.
He did great winning even when forced to lead them out.
Another Aussie third or fourth ??

Old 10-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #3598
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Watched the highlights last night, it was a pretty good stage by the looks.
He did great winning even when forced to lead them out.
Another Aussie third or fourth ??
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...a/2023/stage-4

Have a look at the placings on this site.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 21-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #3599
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Pic overload/New bike Report

Travelled about 120kms on it so far.
My old bike had a 630Wh battery for comparison.
This one has 800Wh battery, first charge i got close to 100kms, last bike would be around 40km or so. Theres some variables in it all but still, that extra capacity goes alright.
Sram AXS is a bloody good thing, shifts so crisp with no lag. I miss the multi shift though. AXS does have it but it tells me i can void warranty if i set it up via the app, so ive left it as single shift.
Sram and Shimano components can work in harmony.
I put it on the scales at work
24.5kg, its a bit of a heifer and i can feel it too. But that just adds to the grip level.
I miss the actual display my old bike had. This one got nothing, only the battery/power level on the top tube. The giant app isnt bad and is the only way to tell how many kms the bike has done
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #3600
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default New to cycling

Wrong thread
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post