Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 17-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford releases info on Aussie Fiesta ECOnetic

The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor...1016-h0ck.html

To be launched in December. Official web: http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ction=econetic

Quote:
Ford has released details of a new fuel-sipping small car that uses less fuel than any hybrid on the market. By RICHARD BLACKBURN.

The Toyota Prius hybrid is no longer Australia’s most fuel-efficient car. The car, which has held the mantle since its local launch in 2001, has been knocked off its green perch by a fuel-sipping diesel small car from Ford.

The Ford Fiesta ECOnetic model uses just 3.7 litres of fuel per 100km in official tests, shading the Toyota by 0.2 litres per 100km.

But the Prius still puts out less C02, emitting 89 grams per kilometre, compared with the Ford’s 98g/km.

At today’s pump prices, the Ford will cost just 14c less than the Prius for every 100km driven, but company spokeswoman Sinead McAlary says the title of Australia’s most fuel efficient car is worth much more than that.

“The bragging rights are important because this is a real brand changer for Ford. It’s something people wouldn’t expect from Ford,” she says.

“More and more people are concerned about fuel consumption. No matter what type of vehicle they are buying, they still want the most fuel efficient in that segment.”

The Fiesta ECOnetic will also have a big price advantage over the Prius, with a driveaway price of $24,990, compared with more than $40,000 for the Toyota.

The ECOnetic version of the Fiesta uses an efficient diesel engine matched to a manual transmission with gear ratios specially calibrated to reduce fuel consumption.

Other fuel-saving tricks include low rolling resistance tyres, low friction engine and transmission oils, aerodynamic aids and weight reductions, including the replacement of the spare tyre with a repair kit.

The car also has a green shift indicator light in the instrument cluster that tells the driver the most efficient time to shift gears.
The ECOnetic is the latest of a range of ultra-efficient conventionally-powered small cars developed to combat the increasing popularity of petrol-electric hybrid vehicles.

Aside from Ford, BMW, Mini, Audi and Volvo all have special frugal models that use similar fuel-saving technology.

The trend highlights the importance of being the greenest car on the block in a world increasingly focused on petrol prices and CO2 reduction.

Buyers have flocked to more fuel-efficient cars in recent years as concerns about dwindling oil supplies and global warming have become front page news.

McAlary says Ford will launch a wide-ranging communication campaign to promote the new car and compare it with hybrids already on the market.

“The car has been extremely popular in Europe since its launch eight months ago. They can’t build enough of them,” she says.

Last edited by RapidTyphoon; 17-10-2009 at 09:41 PM.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/44542/fo...efficient-car/

This site is packed full of pictures from stock in Australia.

Care of CarAdvice
Old 18-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford can't sell 2,000 Fiesta's a month with this included they might as well give up now . Should sell by the millions
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford will sell bugger all unfortunatly, because the likleyhood of is getting our hands on them is slim. Europe is lapping them up by the thousands.
Old 18-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Zetec-4-Me
Finally have my Zetec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Ford will sell bugger all unfortunatly, because the likleyhood of is getting our hands on them is slim. Europe is lapping them up by the thousands.
I have to say that you're very likely right Rapid, unfortunately. IF the sale price in Oz for these does end up in the mid-20K then they will definitely be in short supply ---- well for the few that end up here anyway!
Zetec-4-Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
doctamick

Another article here: http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...at-prius-17090

Ford Australia's reported extra-urban fuel consumption of 3.2 L/100km puts it way ahead of the other fuel misers. Great work, Ford.

However, the price may be of some concern, considering it loses many of the features seen on the 5 oor Zetec. I know it is still way cheaper than a Prius or Mini D, but it still will be quite an expensive light-class car. (And also a bit dull in the looks department, compared to the Zetec.)

"...the Fiesta is priced at $24,990 (driveaway) and is broadly specified as per the Fiesta Zetec -- barring the Zetec's bigger alloy wheels and other features that don't contribute to fuel efficiency. Compared with the Zetec grade, the Fiesta ECOnetic lacks: rear electric windows (standard for five-door Zetec), leather gear knob, 'aesthetic' lighting, sports cloth trim, driver's seat map pocket, chrome tailgate handle, sports bodykit, chrome trim for door uppers, projector-beam headlights, front foglights and an alarm."

Finally, looking at the spec sheet on the CarAdvice website (http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...s_Oct-2009.pdf)... the overal ratio in 5th gear is about 30% lower than the manual petrol car. I wonder how the petrol motor would go with these ratios. I do a lot a of freeway driving in my Zetec, and would have loved a taller fifth gear or maybe even a sixth.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Until our supply comes from Thailand.

I think Ford Australia have an opportunity to compete with Yaris and Getz with a Thai Fiesta, where Australia is the principal market.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it's LX spec then? Read some of the Euro Ford sites, if you put bigger wheels with alloys on fuel consumption goes up to mid fours. Not a massive increase.

I believe the ECOnetic will still come from Europe, as will our XR4 in due time (that's if Ford Australia want it). It'll be like the Focus, two different factories.
Old 23-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Paxton - not to mention they will be ~10% cheaper due to no import duty from Thailand.

RT - yep bigger wheels will be heavier & take more energy to accelerate, although that is quite a difference % wise. At least they could have standard alloys (same size as the steel rims) rather than cheap-looking plastic trims, on what is a premium-priced car for its class.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the width of the tyre that buggers your fuel economy, I bet the CL's do much better than the Zetecs
Old 23-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
doctamick

It's a combination of the weight (or more specifically the rotational inertia), rolling resistance and width. The aerodynamics of the wheel face will also have a small impact. The EcoNetic uses narrow 14 inch steel wheels, with 175/65 low rolling resistance tyres and smooth wheel covers. This is a far cry from the 17x7 inch 5 spoke alloys and stickier 205/40 rubber on my Zetec.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Cespenar
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
It's the width of the tyre that buggers your fuel economy, I bet the CL's do much better than the Zetecs
Do those lower resistance tyres have less grippiness than an LX type mag and tyre?
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cespenar
Do those lower resistance tyres have less grippiness than an LX type mag and tyre?
Probably..... It may not be that noticeable though unless you are really pushing on purpose. Certainly the tyre compound will affect the grip level just as much as the narower tyre itself. However, tyre manufacturers do their best to maintain good lateral grip from the tyre while still lowering their rolling resistance.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Until our supply comes from Thailand.

I think Ford Australia have an opportunity to compete with Yaris and Getz with a Thai Fiesta, where Australia is the principal market.
Things are looking good longer term for Fiesta in this country. Not only will the Thai factory dramatically affect the landed cost for the cars here (meaning higher profits despite lower prices) but depending on what models it makes it will also lead to greater avaibility of options/features and models. The sedan for example will join the lineup once thai production starts.

I don't think people should expect Ford to cut the price of fiesta dramatically...it will come down as much as $1-1.5k (which is alot for that segment) but you won't be seeing a $12,990 fiesta any time soon. Its a premium product and so it demands a premium price. Either way if you had to pick between a $14,990 fiesta or a $12,990 barina i know where i'd spend the coin....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find my continentals are useless on a roundabout with only a slight kick. The DSC struggles to start up too. Adding low rolling tryres would be appauling IMHO! Maybe the Continentals just lack grip? They always seem to be slipping and sliding, but then again I do push it hard. Too much tyre shine!!! ;-)
Old 27-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our's came with the Hankooks, very good, very sticky tyre, couldn't be more happen with how it performs on wet rutted highways either, drives VERY straight even through the deepest ruts. But they wont last 40,000 ks on the front. Will be replacing them with somthing a little less costly next time (soon). One of the fronts has a nail in it anyway since almost new and has a slow leak that needs pumping up each couple/few weeks so it's good that its lasted this long
Old 27-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do I push mine too hard? The whole front tyres just looses grip and you can feel the whole front drifting away. Maybe I do push it too hard sometimes, but the old Fiesta could handle it
Old 27-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mine have Continentals too, the 15s but they seem alright, I took it up the mountains and drove it very hard, but they seemed to stick. The front end got really floaty when I was doing 90km/h on a dirt road once though (100km/h speed limit), but they're not rally tyres so you would get that on anything I'm guessing.

How did you manage to get the front tyres to lose grip? I'm yet to do that, they seem to hold on well for me. I've made the front right tyre lose traction from a standing start though.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go around a round about at a moderate speed. I know my car is not a sports car, but I can take an Astra SRi around the same round about and it just sticks. Add a tiny bit of wet and goodbye front end, it just drifts away...Meh, it's FWD. Just my WP was a rock around corners.
Old 27-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Go around a round about at a moderate speed. I know my car is not a sports car, but I can take an Astra SRi around the same round about and it just sticks. Add a tiny bit of wet and goodbye front end, it just drifts away...Meh, it's FWD. Just my WP was a rock around corners.
Hmm, sharp corner? We've got this long sweeping bend on the way to school and we can do that at 100km/h. How many KM does your car have on it? Mines about 1200km.

Who cares if its not a sports car hehe
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
BruceT

It's an impressive car, but the $24,990 driveaway is already $1000 more than a manual 5-door Zetec. And the econometic has specs similar to the LX. Diesels must be expensive engines.

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #22
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we first got the car my wife was following the gps up some goat track, single lane bush road 100 zone and then while I was zoned out looking at the floor and she was driving she started screaming WHERES THE ROAD!. We had come over a crest and all I could see was a fence a gate and trees and about .... not much road left. I was just waiting for the impact. Then my wife just reefed the wheel as hard as she could and the entire car sounded REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 90 degree turn at 100 km/h no lies:!) and by some total fluke she went the right way and we were cruising down the road again. She started crying for about the next 15 minutes from the shock and was saying how she almost killed us n her birthday. That day I learned that the ESC works and works good, the G's the thing pulled around that corner and stayed stuck were very impressive, most cars would have had us in gate/fence/trees.

So I don't know about this whole lack of traction story
Old 28-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
When we first got the car my wife was following the gps up some goat track, single lane bush road 100 zone and then while I was zoned out looking at the floor and she was driving she started screaming WHERES THE ROAD!. We had come over a crest and all I could see was a fence a gate and trees and about .... not much road left. I was just waiting for the impact. Then my wife just reefed the wheel as hard as she could and the entire car sounded REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 90 degree turn at 100 km/h no lies:!) and by some total fluke she went the right way and we were cruising down the road again. She started crying for about the next 15 minutes from the shock and was saying how she almost killed us n her birthday. That day I learned that the ESC works and works good, the G's the thing pulled around that corner and stayed stuck were very impressive, most cars would have had us in gate/fence/trees.

So I don't know about this whole lack of traction story
try using the handbrake when doing a quick 90 degree turn, maybe impact a difference impression, no?
Old 28-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your sure you don't have an elf greenfoam!!! Perhaps it's the roads, my driving, or my car is specific but it's not as solid ad the WP. I do the roundabout every day, and it's always the same. The DSC light flashes but it keeps drifting. In saying that I have a hoot driving up the Peachester range neat Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast. It's a hoot there, only loosing traction on very sharp corners. Then again that road is a good road?
Old 28-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #25
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got no clue: )? I've seen the traction light flash driving in a straight line through deep water filled ruts on the highway before and on the change to 2nd in the rain but apart from that it sticks pretty good. I don't know if the hankooks are any better or not but that's all I know
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #26
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The advert has started. A Squeeze Econetic is driving with a more funky version of the Falcon/Territory/Focus/Mondeo ads music and they say it's Australia's most fuel efficient car. Coming soon.

Shows the car, no crap approach, with the facts. It good. Although the Squeeze looks extremely green.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwu9DNTIbc

Good advert