Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
Fordford2

Default Sikalex first then clips/scrivets or reverse order?

When installing or replacing stuff like side skirts, rear skirts etc where you have to glue the top edge with sikaflex are you supposed to put all of the clips & scrivets on first then apply sikaflex or glue it first then put all of the clips on?
Fordford2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: Sikalex first then clips/scrivets or reverse order?

My understanding is that you don't Sikaflex these things, you use automotive double sided tape (if needed at all) and appropriate scrivets and screws.

What car are you working on?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SikaFlex first then clips/scrivets or reverse order?

Hi,
Usually you need to apply the polyurethane (sikaflex or similar) to the skirt / panel, without smudging it onto the paint surface, then fitting the skirt / panel onto its clips. You may need to park the car near a wall and use some wood plank pieces or similar to put pressure on the skirt /panel against the car, and leave it over night while the polyurethane is going hard.

If you have applied too much and it squeezes out where it shouldn't be, it needs to be cleaned up quickly, for example with a rag with petrol on it.

Polyurethane is a lot stronger than double-sided tape, but a lot messier.
Side skirts on BF FPV is one example of parts glued with Polyurethane.

If some of the original clips / fasteners are broken off, it is often a good idea to add some polyurethane to hold a panel or skirt in place.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: SikaFlex first then clips/scrivets or reverse order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi,
Usually you need to apply the polyurethane (sikaflex or similar) to the skirt / panel, without smudging it onto the paint surface, then fitting the skirt / panel onto its clips. You may need to park the car near a wall and use some wood plank pieces or similar to put pressure on the skirt /panel against the car, and leave it over night while the polyurethane is going hard.

If you have applied too much and it squeezes out where it shouldn't be, it needs to be cleaned up quickly, for example with a rag with petrol on it.

Polyurethane is a lot stronger than double-sided tape, but a lot messier.
Side skirts on BF FPV is one example of parts glued with Polyurethane.

If some of the original clips / fasteners are broken off, it is often a good idea to add some polyurethane to hold a panel or skirt in place.

Cheers,
My brother and my BFII FPV F6 Typhoons are double sided taped on the side skirts from factory. I've also fitted BA FPV which are the same to a BA Futura, which I turned into a look a like Typhoon years ago with double sided tape. You must use really good quality tape, not rubbish Supercheap Autos useless attempt.

B series XR and low models skirts are simply clipped on. No need for tape, and my Territory uses clips only as well. Never seen a modern Falcon with side skirts attached with Sikaflex from factory. But then again I haven't touched FG onwards or AUs.

Also a tip of you are attaching FPV shirts or anything with a rear dog leg, attach from rear to front! This stops the common problem of the rear dog leg fouling on the rear door so long as you line that up first.

It would be very helpful to know what FordFord2 is fitting and to what! As this discussion is starting to go in circles.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Fordford2

Default Re: Sikalex first then clips/scrivets or reverse order?

Fitting stock skirts to a bf ute, I would prefer to use the 3m tape but at the top of the skirt the part that touches the car body is about 2mm wide & it turns in so there is a triangular shape below it with single sided foam tape about 10mm beneath that and the side part has about a 15mm gap between the body which is where the sikaflex should go, the double sided tape would need to be about 20mm & triangluar shaped to work.
Fordford2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post