Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #571
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: My FGX XR8 denied warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
wot?

so to be clear, you think to reduce the burden of investigating claims it is sound policy to dismiss first, then if the customer persists investigate properly??
In this situation yes.
Dealer plugged scanner in. It comes up with a Flag that its been illegally tuned.
It weeds out the BS artists.

If the PCM said it hadn't been tampered with this thread wouldn't have been started IMO.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #572
Hally

I don't know if it has been said but I get a feeling that the dealer, who has a tuning division may have had a play pre-delivery or at the 1000km service. Just a hunch.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #573
Trump
bitch lasagne

Any news Ben?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #574
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally View Post
I don't know if it has been said but I get a feeling that the dealer, who has a tuning division may have had a play pre-delivery or at the 1000km service. Just a hunch.
A dealer is going to risk his rep giving a paid brand new car to a sub standard performance business at the back to have a play? Doesn't add up for me sorry.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #575
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
A dealer is going to risk his rep giving a paid brand new car to a sub standard performance business at the back to have a play? Doesn't add up for me sorry.
It's been done before !

Should it be the case that it does show as tuned, it should also show the date.

Am glad to see that Ben is doing the right thing here, he has kept his comments clear and precise, and not weighed into the actual "debate" !

Kudos to you Ben.

We all hope that Ben has a reply/result soon, and that the result is reasonable to all parties involved (and when that happens, results posted or not, that this thread is closed finally).
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #576
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Time is the great revealer of all things. . . .
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #577
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Just found this - interesting ....... its listed on an FPV brochure for the GT F - in the fine print at the footer.

^Power and torque figures derived using 98 RON. Peak produced for as long as possible throughout the full engine rev range, making the new GT F sedan even more responsive on the road or for track days.

Assumption here is that this car ( same drive train as FG X XR8 ) is intended for some kind of track use ?
Might be drawing a very long bow here - but its in print on this particular PDF from FPV. Just sayin....

Maybe the FPV cars are better. The FORD branded are inferior.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #578
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Just found this - interesting ....... its listed on an FPV brochure for the GT F - in the fine print at the footer.

^Power and torque figures derived using 98 RON. Peak produced for as long as possible throughout the full engine rev range, making the new GT F sedan even more responsive on the road or for track days.

Assumption here is that this car ( same drive train as FG X XR8 ) is intended for some kind of track use ?
Might be drawing a very long bow here - but its in print on this particular PDF from FPV. Just sayin....

Maybe the FPV cars are better. The FORD branded are inferior.
I've read this thread with a lot of interest given that I am in the process of purchasing an XR8 myself, but I have resisted the temptation to throw my two bob's in.

However, I will now.

Firstly, kempy, I hope it all works out for you.

Secondly, the above claim in no way means anything about the engineering or standard to which the FPV or Ford product are designed and manufactured. All it means is that one company is prepared to warrant for a particular use whilst the other is not. That is no different to a whack-load of other goods that are all made by one manufacturer but sold by different distributors. It just means that the different companies have decided upon a different risk profile based upon their business plan.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 06-05-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #579
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Interesting point. However, GT-F's are still covered by warranty which would be conducted at Ford dealerships. Given that Ford previously owned a large share of FPV, I'm sure they would have had some say in the wording of the warranty, given warranty claims would directly impact Ford/Prodrive and/ or FPV. Although they may have altered the terms of the warranty to save some coin in regards to claims on the new XR8.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #580
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
^ Interesting point. However, GT-F's are still covered by warranty which would be conducted at Ford dealerships. Given that Ford previously owned a large share of FPV, I'm sure they would have had some say in the wording of the warranty, given warranty claims would directly impact Ford/Prodrive and/ or FPV. Although they may have altered the terms of the warranty to save some coin in regards to claims on the new XR8.
I see your point but think of a warranty as an insurance policy. AAMI are not going to cover cars against their own policy just because Just Cars Insurance would cover it, even though AAMI owns Just Cars. FPV are a different brand and have different warranty, Ford are under no obligation to apply FPV warranty policy to a Ford product.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #581
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Are you saying Ford wont warrant GT's still in warranty? They will, they took on FPV's customers and revenue generated via servicing...you take the good with the bad.

I can see your point if it was a completely new entity but since Ford had a ~49% share of FPV then they are running out of excuses.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #582
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Are you saying Ford wont warrant GT's still in warranty? They will, they took on FPV's customers and revenue generated via servicing...you take the good with the bad.

I can see your point if it was a completely new entity but since Ford had a ~49% share of FPV then they are running out of excuses.
Of course they will honour the warranty of a FPV, they are not under any obligation to apply warranty policy of FPV's to non FPV Ford products though. A FGX XR8 is a Ford product, not FPV so Ford are under no obligation to apply FPV policy to that product.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #583
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Do we know if the policy is any different? I would find it hard to believe it is.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #584
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Of course they will honour the warranty of a FPV, they are not under any obligation to apply warranty policy of FPV's to non FPV Ford products though. A FGX XR8 is a Ford product, not FPV so Ford are under no obligation to apply FPV policy to that product.
That is absolutely correct
My intent with the post I made had some artistic license applied.

I was interested to see that publication from FPV as you don't often see any reference to track days in any standard advertising or brochures etc...

Fact remains though , the drivetrain in the GTF and the FG X XR8 is identical so you would think there is some engineering integrity in the package to allow it be driven in a "spirited" fashion on the road or track and it won't drop its load .....

Anyways , we'll wait for kempy's update.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #585
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
That is absolutely correct
My intent with the post I made had some artistic license applied.

I was interested to see that publication from FPV as you don't often see any reference to track days in any standard advertising or brochures etc...

Fact remains though , the drivetrain in the GTF and the FG X XR8 is identical so you would think there is some engineering integrity in the package to allow it be driven in a "spirited" fashion on the road or track and it won't drop its load .....

Anyways , we'll wait for kempy's update.
It may be the same driveline but the buyers paid a lot more for the GTF and FPV/Ford probably predicted that not many of those buyers would take the car near a track so the risk of that statement was low. This is where it acts like an insurance policy, the lower the risk the lower the costs.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #586
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I hope this turns out well for kempy.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #587
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Also, to add to the discussion re Ford vs FPV warranty for essentially the same thing, remember that even though the product itself is exactly the same, the warranty requirements for the FG X XR8 are Ford's not FPV's. Therefore the extant Ford policy would apply. Now Ford could have determined that the same warranty previsions would apply to the FG X XR8 as it did to the equivalent FPV product, but Ford probably has the same warranty provisions across its entire catalogue. Imagine the ruckus it would cause if one product in the line up had different warranty provisions to the rest!

The whole situation is muddied because the owner of the design has effectively changed hands, and the two companies may have completely different risk profiles ie what types of activities they will cover or not.

In saying all of that, I have no idea about the following:

- Whether Ford's warranty across its Australian available models is consistent.
- Whether the FPV warranty for the GT is the same or different to that of the FG X XR8.

My point was, and is, that just because FPV had advertising supporting track performance of the equivalent technical equipment does not mean that this would have any bearing on a warranty claim for a similar circumstance with the equivalent Ford product.

Anyway, a bit of postulating on my behalf.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 06-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #588
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

That would potentially be the subsequent argument after the fact.
The contentious issue is really the tune in the car and whether it has been altered from factory standard. If it's the factory tune and it's never been flashed or changed , then one could argue the merits of the FPV warranty v the ford warranty for essentially the same product. Mind you , it's just pure speculation that ford would warranty any FPV vehicle that lunched itself at a track , even if it was bog stock standard. The reference to track days on the GTF PDF is intriguing though ?

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #589
TRRTRY

Reading with interest.

I once asked to have my oil re-changed after ford service forgot to put the oil cap on after a service.

When I picked up the car I looked under the bonnet to check if there was a new cap put on given they had it for the day.

Second hand cap installed but no filter change ( had mud on it from dirt roads)

When queried if the oil was changed, dealer replied yes. When queried if the filter was changed, dealer replied yes.

When I pointed out it was obviously not changed the staff member bought the mechanic over for clarification and he also said he changed it.

I told them that lying to me was only making them look stupid and raising my blood pressure to which there was no response at all.

They lied.... and changed the oil again.

why does it need to be 'deny liability until proven otherwise'

I've had enough of this dealer crap. Good service is simply gone.

Best of luck, I'd pursue your claim all the way
7 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #590
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRTRY View Post
Reading with interest.

I once asked to have my oil re-changed after ford service forgot to put the oil cap on after a service.

When I picked up the car I looked under the bonnet to check if there was a new cap put on given they had it for the day.

Second hand cap installed but no filter change ( had mud on it from dirt roads)

When queried if the oil was changed, dealer replied yes. When queried if the filter was changed, dealer replied yes.

When I pointed out it was obviously not changed the staff member bought the mechanic over for clarification and he also said he changed it.

I told them that lying to me was only making them look stupid and raising my blood pressure to which there was no response at all.

They lied.... and changed the oil again.

why does it need to be 'deny liability until proven otherwise'

I've had enough of this dealer crap. Good service is simply gone.

Best of luck, I'd pursue your claim all the way
Yep, happens more than people realise.
I make a small scrape on the oil filter with a screwdriver as some mechanics will wipe it over with a rag to make it look new.
Caught out someone in Sydney years ago and he stood there denying it despite me pointing out the proof I had.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #591
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I am very happy with the service I get from my local dealer. In fact I had a warranty claim approved and parts ordered for a problem with my PX Ranger before they even looked at it. There are dealers with good service centres out there.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #592
TRRTRY

Im sure there is naddis but far less common than it could be.

Dealer pricing for work is generally at the higher end but isn't often reflected in the services provided.

Plus I hate being blatantly lied to :/
Old 08-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #593
MattstaF6

Dont you usually get a track day where you can flog the crap out of these things anyway once you buy them?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #594
kempy311
BEN

UPDATE. Just had the official call from Ford. They inspect the charger and it had a manufacturing defect something to do with the spring in the back. New one is being air freighted out Monday so would have the car back before the weekend.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #595
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

What a shame you had to go through all the grief to get that result. Bet you are glad you took it further and raised it on here.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #596
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whoo hoo!

So which pub are we all meeting at for celebratory beers?
5 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #597
Uwish

You should ask for an apology.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #598
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
UPDATE. Just had the official call from Ford. They inspect the charger and it had a manufacturing defect something to do with the spring in the back. New one is being air freighted out Monday so would have the car back before the weekend.
So what happened to the accusation of PCM flashing and abuse?

Hope they give you an apology.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #599
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news mate. Whether it had been dragged or not was irrelevant to begin with as I suspected was possible.

It is in Ford's interest to have potential manufacturing defects identified too. So both parties win in the end despite a bit of a bumpy road.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #600
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Well done to both ford and kempy, sounds like the spring loaded coupling I asked about earlier?
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread