Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Australia Awaits Its Most Successful Drag Racing Export/Grubnic Settles Back Into Aus

A former Brisbane drag racer, who has retained relative anonymity in Australia despite finishing in the top five of the World's richest quarter mile competition is set to ignite Queensland's Willowbank Raceway on January 6/7.

Forty-three year old Dave Grubnic has developed a cult status among North American fans, while driving in the super competitive Powerade NHRA Drag Racing Series the past 11 years.

Now for the first time he returns home to grace Queensland's traditional home of the sport during a New Year's Top Fuel spectacular.

He'll be supported by the entire Michigan based Kalitta Motorsport crew, piloting the proven StriVectin dragster that assisted him in recording a career best fourth placing in the NHRA this season.

That machine is capable of reaching speeds in excess of 330 mph (531km/h), which makes this International superstar of the sport the quickest and fastest competitor to ever test their mettle at the Ipswich strip.

That's a huge wrap for the former Carindale resident who'll be plying his trade among family and friends on January 6.

"It's another dream come true for me to be racing at Willowbank next year," said Grubnic.

"It does mean a lot to me and who knows how many opportunities like this will ever come along again.

"The car I'm going to be driving at Willowbank is my back-up car that I did a bunch of 4.40 second passes in during last season.

"We'll go out there and give it our best shot! I can't guarantee we're going to run 4.40's but we're definitely going to go out there and give it our damnedest and run as quickly as we possibly can."

Grubnic will arrive in Australia later this week and spend some quality time with his parents in Brisbane before heading to Sydney in preparation for a huge Boxing Day Top Fuel exhibition.

Then it's back home to Brisbane, back to where it all started for this dedicated self starter.

"I don't know what happened I went and watched a pair of Nitro Funny Cars when I was 16 and the needle went in and that was the end of it, I was hooked on drag racing for life.

"I'm the oddball! There was no family background in racing or anything.

"Dad's a spray painter and Mum's a seamstress and when I first committed to do this they looked at me as if I had two heads.

"But as it's all turned out they're both very proud and keep track of what I'm doing in the States.

"So it all seems to have paid some dividends again and it's going to be great racing in front of some familiar faces on January 6/7.

If Grubnic can continue his forward spiral in North America's elite drag racing scene he may very well become Australia's next International motorsport champion.

It's an exciting time for Willowbank Raceway and with such anticipation surrounding 'Aussie Dave's' debut, officials are confident of a huge show to kick start 2006.

thanks to NMD for the story.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
Mondie
Firm member

Never heard of the guy but would love to see him run.

l remember when the 300mph barrier was broken in 1992 by Kenny Bernstein. Now they run 330mph in 4.4 secs, just bloody amazing :evilsasmo

Last edited by SpoolMan; 21-12-2005 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
302donk

Should be an awsome event should see the boys run 4.50s i hope. we have been sluging our guts out down here to get our new engine in the altered, a 500ci ex pro stock chev from the states and if we can get it to go straight it could be the fastest n/a car in oz, only downer is that we are leaving chrismas arvo to get up there but its only a small price to pay so see the best fuel drivers in the world in our country.
www.myspace.com/2v_clevo_donk
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

I'll be there can't wait........
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Grubnic Settles Back Into Aussie Lifestyle
There's no doubt Powerade NHRA Series drag racing star Dave Grubnic fits the traditional stereotype created by all of Australia's home grown International motor racing stars.

Professionalism at work on the various tracks around the World is unflinching and it's that characteristic, without doubt, that sets this elite driver apart.

The Top Fuel heavyweight, who secured a career high fourth placing in the toughest of quarter mile competitions in the World, always loves coming home to Brisbane where he easily assimilates back into the 'Aussie' way of life.

But on this particular Christmas break, away from his usual North American base in Michigan State, 'Aussie Dave' will be showing that professional side of his character during his debut Top Fuel performance at Ipswich's Willowbank Raceway.

This morning it was like the calm before the storm, as this knockabout Queenslander hammed it up with his former school mates from Cavendish Road State High, during what has become an annual barbecue breakfast at Sheldon in Brisbane's South.

"This is pretty much what I always do when I come home. I catch up with a few mates and we share plenty of laughs," said Grubnic.

"The boys have been giving me a bit of a ribbing about representing the U-S in the International showdown at Willowbank on January 6/7, but I'm sure they'll be supporting me out there either way.

"I've been back here less than a week and already the overwhelming support of people in Queensland is absolutely flooring me so I can't wait to get out there and put on a good show."

Grubnic has never before plied his trade as a Top Fuel driver at home in Australia but will gain his first opportunity on Boxing Day in the first round of the International series in Sydney.

His 11 year stint in the main game of American drag racing was never an easy ride to the top and now he'll look to savor the chance to shine at two of the premier drag racing strips this country has to offer.

"When I first went over to the States I was just 28 years old and for someone at that age to try and get a fuel ride was very, very difficult, added Grubnic.

"But the opportunities and rides were more available in the States than here at home and that's where I followed my dream.

"I'd obviously love to race Top Fuel at home in Australia and be successful at it and possibly win championships.

"But ultimately, I still would have wanted to go overseas and represent Australia over there, so I just committed to going there and the results suggest it was the right move."

The New Year program being implemented at Willowbank Raceway and in Sydney shows genuine foresight on behalf of the promoters and if successful this time round it's hoped the International Top Fuel Showdown will become a regular on the annual calendar.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Don't know if they will run the numbers, the weather forecast is for hot hot hot. Only chance is if is cools down in the arvo's....
Old 24-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
302donk

they run the numbers in the heat over in the states. there should'nt be a problem getting hold of the race track its going to be awsome!!!!
Old 24-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302donk
they run the numbers in the heat over in the states. there should'nt be a problem getting hold of the race track its going to be awsome!!!!
It's pretty rare they run 4.5's and 4.6's in the heat dude.
Old 24-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
302donk

route66 raceway this year track temp 100+ degree f they were running mid 4.5's , but i would be suprised to see a 50 but i think a low 60 is on the cards if its going to be that hot.. the old mans worried now that his thing is going to rattle the tyres if its going to be hot as they say its going to be. bring on boxing day carnt wait!!!!!

Last edited by 302donk; 24-12-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 24-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Yeah i would be surprised if they ran 4.50's, should be a couple of 60's though. Should be a great spectacle. The 9.00 pm runs should be quite spectacular.
Old 24-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
302donk

can only wait and see dude
Old 27-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #12
302donk

Awsome Night!!!! Oh Yeh!!!!
Old 27-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #13
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Awsome night and come evening nobody had complaints about the numbers!!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post