Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Another reason why we'll miss the Falcon later on.

G'day ,On Wednesday at lunch time I drove down to the local bakery to grab a home made pastie made by Evelyn and one of her real cream horns for lunch in my XR6. As I walked out pulling in behind me was another FG XR6.
To say that this was a stunner would be an understatement .
The bloke who owned it and who I didn't know got out as I opened my car door and I had to ask him about his ride. Twenty minutes later we were still talking about FG's , Falcons in general and Mustangs.
This Mystic XR6T was just plain beaut. The paint was literally immaculate , he'd fitted later XR50 wheels , the full Brembo brake package , the later GT suspension upgrade and the engine upgrades and mapping had given him 365 rwkw as the data sheet he had showed.
After he'd told me about the unbridled passion he has for his Falcon he told me that he'd owned a few upmarket Euro cars in his time , a couple of HSV's before he switched over to this FG by chance because he wanted to try a Turbo and that without spending a fortune on his XR6T he had a car that was quicker , handled and stopped better than any previous car he'd owned.

Best bit for his improvements was they're surprisingly affordable according to Dave , the proud owner. Done in stages though he said over a couple of years.

His boss was looking at buying a Mustang a few weeks ago and they took one for a test drive . Then he asked him to drive his FG on the way home and he said his boss was literally blown away by how good the upgraded 'old car' was. In fairness I expect a Mustang GT would do up pretty great too , maybe not as affordably though .

My point is this . The humble Falcon is a car that is eminently capable of numerous levels of upgrades , can be done without a second mortgage and can be done as the owner desires. This car that we all grew up with allows you to go a long way with it and inspires a lot of passion and pride. Somehow I think that this is what later generations will not get to enjoy the same way.
Eating a cold pastie on the run after enjoying the car and the owner's (Dave) clear passion for it was terrific . My only regret , no mobile phone to get a photo of it..Bugger... Cheers Rod ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-10-2017 at 08:51 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Another reason why we'll miss the Falcon later on.

Yes well I own a Lamborghini gallardo lp550-2 and a R35 GTR and I couldn't agree more. I love the falcons I own.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon that Roddy's experience will become common place in a few years, when two old blokes with similar Falcodores have a chance meeting, sort of like in the '70s when MGB drivers used to raise a fore-finger as another MGB drove past.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Lunch
Wait, what?

Moral of the story: never leave home without your phone
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I reckon that Roddy's experience will become common place in a few years, when two old blokes with similar Falcodores have a chance meeting, sort of like in the '70s when MGB drivers used to raise a fore-finger as another MGB drove past.
I still have those experiences driving the ol cabover Kenworth.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Like this one Roddy, i loved Mystic, great colour, my FG XR6T was the single best and most honest car i ever owned, it was modded to 300rwkw and i had it for 4 years with not a single issue, it just had no soul, give me an XR8 though I don't miss the car but I do miss that interior though.

fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Like this one Roddy, i loved Mystic, great colour, my FG XR6T was the single best and most honest car i ever owned, it was modded to 300rwkw and i had it for 4 years with not a single issue, it just had no soul, give me an XR8 though I don't miss the car but I do miss that interior though.

G'day ...Beaut car too..It's a fantastic colour is Mystic ..Yep , don't leave home without your phone . Never know what you might miss. It really was a fantastic example.
The days of being able to pick up a fairly contemporary Aussie built Falcon or Holden Commodore for that matter and modding it as you see fit like the bloke a couple of days ago without breaking the piggy bank completely might soon be a thing of the past now that Falcon has been gone for a year and Commodore is about to go west.
While I'm at it , what's your favourite upgrade/s you guys have done to your Falcons or Commodores over the years ? Cheers Rod.
Old 13-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
While I'm at it , what's your favourite upgrade/s you guys have done to your Falcons or Commodores over the years ? Cheers Rod.
Mk2 Zephyr > too many mods, far too much money spent, big lessons learned..
HK 186S > solid valve lifters, front and rear stabilizer bars, 7’’ steel wheels.
Torana SLR > front and rear stabilizer bars, mag wheels.
HQ Monaro LS > GTS wheels, GTS steering wheel and dash, HJ seats.
HJ (GTS) wagon, VN 5litre Calais, VT Calais, Territory > nil.
Monaro CV8 > CV8R wheels.
As I got older, the desire to modify got less, and I bought what I wanted/needed/desired. As with all older men, I can look, but not allowed to touch.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you really mean that that?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

So I'm not the only crazy one who sulks that all the so called high end performance cars aren't worth their price tag , compared to what the Falcon can do. The Falcon really was a car greater than the sum of its parts. To me every German car is worth less than the sum of its parts. The Japanese performance cars are about equal to the sum of their parts.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #11
sixman

My father in law was having a go at me one time, saying I should have bought an AMG or M car.
I gave him the keys to my Falcon and told him to drive it.
Twenty minutes later he came back, muttered "I take it all back" and went back in the house.
After that the only thing he would say is "can I drive it".
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
.:4:.
Kicking back

I don't know how the market brain washed people into believing a suv which is front wheel drive is what you need. The full size rwd sedan may no longer be available to the regular Joe like myself, so I'm going to keep the bf and fg I have, but in essence the full size sedan will stick around but be something that's a premium vehicle like the benzes, bmws or audis. It makes no sense to me. For the day to day what's wrong with a sedan? If I have to move something I just use the work ute. Honestly I much prefer towing with bf ghia then with the ranger that has I higher towing rating but less power and less brakes.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Must have been an auto!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I don't know how the market brain washed people into believing a suv which is front wheel drive is what you need. The full size rwd sedan may no longer be available to the regular Joe like myself, so I'm going to keep the bf and fg I have, but in essence the full size sedan will stick around but be something that's a premium vehicle like the benzes, bmws or audis. It makes no sense to me. For the day to day what's wrong with a sedan? If I have to move something I just use the work ute. Honestly I much prefer towing with bf ghia then with the ranger that has I higher towing rating but less power and less brakes.
SUV's do make sense, well the well designed ones. And the Terri is more versatile then the ranger.

I still prefer a falcon or commodore but most people don't cause they don't care about driving.
Old 14-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
SUV's do make sense, well the well designed ones. And the Terri is more versatile then the ranger.

I still prefer a falcon or commodore but most people don't cause they don't care about driving.
Yeah I was a little hypocritical and the wife had a cx9 mazda for a bit, but for the one or 2 times the extra space is needed, why cop the extra fuel and no go for all the times you don't. The cx9 was a pig on fuel over the eb g6. Zoom zoom.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TCraig View Post
Must have been an auto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17
Yep I mean it, it was an auto.

Two things the XR6T taught me was that I am a V8 man and a manual man. I thought I wanted a fast car but realised I didn't. It stayed for 4 years because it was a pleasure to drive and gave me zero issues, just not fun unless i was at WOT and that was too risky on the licence. For me cruising around in a V8 swapping cogs is what i missed.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Two things the XR6T taught me was that I am a V8 man and a manual man. I thought I wanted a fast car but realised I didn't. It stayed for 4 years because it was a pleasure to drive and gave me zero issues, just not fun unless i was at WOT and that was too risky on the licence. For me cruising around in a V8 swapping cogs is what i missed.
I hear what you are saying... The modern auto XR6T's are very "clinical" to drive compared to a V8 manual.
The turbos are certainly deceptively fast and are "silent assassins" on the road in comparison

But they don't have that same fun factor, especially of slower old school V8's such as a XY GT HO.

I remember driving a manual XY GT HO years ago and seeing the bonnet shaker move, the gnarly raspy and throaty old school pre-emissions exhaust note and how the whole car shaked with the lumpy engine... It just felt more like a muscle car even though by today's standards it was slower.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah that V8 and manual is the most involving combination. Now Commodore nearly gone, the path for affordable RWD performance is either a lot more expensive, or lacking in torque. Either Chrysler, 3/5 Series, AMG or Jags. To replace the Territory, thats the Porsche, X3/X5 or F-Pace. All quite a bit more coin. It was good while it lasted. Edit: or Range Rover Sport.

Last edited by Sprintey; 14-10-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: How could I forget that beast?
Sprintey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #19
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I guess the closest thing we will get to our RWD 4 door Falcons and Commodores in the foreseeable future at an affordable price point will be the Kia Stinger.

Somehow though... No matter how good the kia might turn out to be, it will never have the presence and same sentimental value as driving the last of our Aussie icons.
Old 14-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #20
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day all , So many good comments and I do agree that the Falcon was under estimated and misunderstood by too many over the past decade or two.
To think that at different times Falcon came in Sedan , Coupe , Station wagon , Ute . One tonner , Panel van and even RTV briefly. Chuck in luxury/limo with associated Fairlane and LTD models and it covered a heck of a lot of bases off one basic platform.A variety of different engines , SC V8, N/A V8 , Turbo 6 , N/A 6 , LPG 6 , Dual fuel 6 and Ecoboost 4. over the 56 years. If you sling in the Territory , there's the SUV and a Turbo diesel as well.

Then you get a nice stock Falcon and without going bankrupt you can make an already well sorted , bloody reliable , generally low maintenance car even better.. I'm glad many on AFF recognize that but sad that too many others are probably oblivious to that or too brainwashed into buying the now fully imported fare . All academic now anyhow..Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 14-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #21
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
So I'm not the only crazy one who sulks that all the so called high end performance cars aren't worth their price tag , compared to what the Falcon can do. The Falcon really was a car greater than the sum of its parts. To me every German car is worth less than the sum of its parts. The Japanese performance cars are about equal to the sum of their parts.
Im not biased. i had a few falcons before a foray into euro hot hatches. i loved em believe me. Suited me just fine, the 5 cylinder in the XR5 turbo i loved so much and still do.
But the XR6T ute i have now is just a barrel of laughs to drive. Ive began to realise how versatile the falcon is(had a good idea anyway) Yeah sure it doesnt corner like a hot hatch. But it does almost everything i want.
That said id have never bought my ute if the N/A barra is all we had, the turbo 6 does it for me all over.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
smally289
growing up is optional

The later Falcons will eventually turn into the car you keep in the shed for weekend blasts, just like the old ones are now, instead of your everyday driver. The BA, FG & FG-X will probably never reach the cult status of the XR - XC but will certainly have their own following.
I have a PX Ranger as a daily & '66 Mustang for fun. Life ain't all doom & gloom!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
FWD SUVs are easier to park than a sedan since they are slightly shorter.

FWD SUVs have more cargo space than a large sedan since the SUV is a wagon. Sedan are not as practical when you consider everything above the boot height up to the roof height is wasted space in a sedan since that space is apart of the interior in an SUV.

FWD SUVs don't slam the front of back bumper into driveways when you exit at 3km/h heading straight.
Sedans, especially the larger ones you have to exit some driveways at 1km/h at a 45 degree angle.

FWD SUVs most adults can slide sideways into the drivers seat.
Someone who is tall like myself have to fall into the drivers seat of a sedan.
When exiting sedans I feel like my knees have to be lifted to chest height.

I'm not really a fan of FWD SUVs, but I see why they are popular.
Sedans are cool, but I would tell my missus to buy a FWD SUV before a large sedan any day of the week.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #24
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Sedans are cool, but I would tell my missus to buy a FWD SUV before a large sedan any day of the week.
It's funny isn't it when you think about it... When I was young, I imagined in the future we would be driving more sleek and aerodynamic designed cars shaped like Lambo's or Ferrari's or even more Jetson bubble like.... Maybe from watching too many futuristic sci-fi movies I guess

In a world where most modern items like phones and computers have become sleeker and curvier...
Instead as a motoring society we are going backwards to truck like dual cabs and boxy SUVs as the people mover of choice
Old 14-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #25
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go further, we do drive sleeker cars than yesteryear. The Cd of most hatchbacks is superior to most supercars. Their wings and ducts arent very aerodynamic. Good for reducing lift but not so good as slippery designs. But with all the power you don't need it.
Like phones etc cars have just become more efficient at meeting the publics need!
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day. In a ideal world Ford and Holden would be ready to reveal the latest Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore (not the Insignia Commodore imposter of course) .
The platforms would feature new innovations , newer more efficient 4 ,6 and V8 engine options along with hybrid tech ,and new transmission/drivelines etc and there'd be utility and RV vehicles that'd be a realistic alternative to SUV's. Market share would make both companies viable and a great choice to imported vehicles. Australian R&D would match world levels and genuine export markets would open up .

Then you wake up from that impossible dream and the stark reality is what we see these days. No car manufacturing whatsoever . The only G20 country that doesn't as it happens I've been informed. A once sustainable car industry that got left behind , probably got too comfortable in it's own skin , took too long to move with new trends and enhanced by some ill informed short sighted political calls that led to sucking up to Free Trade deals that done us great harm and was not recoverable as it turns out .

Then of course we didn't own Ford or GMH in our own right which somewhat limits how far you can develop products . In Ford's case , no matter how far the Falcon or successor could have gone with future development , the Dearborn mob would never have funded or marketed it for anywhere but here. They had only global markets in mind and it could turn out to be right for all we know.

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-10-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 15-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
It's funny isn't it when you think about it... When I was young, I imagined in the future we would be driving more sleek and aerodynamic designed cars shaped like Lambo's or Ferrari's or even more Jetson bubble like.... Maybe from watching too many futuristic sci-fi movies I guess

In a world where most modern items like phones and computers have become sleeker and curvier...
Instead as a motoring society we are going backwards to truck like dual cabs and boxy SUVs as the people mover of choice
Most SUV's are very 'rounded' in shape when you compare them to older similar vehicles.
Plus modern SUV's are pretty decent on fuel considering their size and aerodynamics.

Australian manufacturing may have had a chance at survival if they actually built cars that are popular today (hatchbacks, small-mid SUVs and dual cab utes)
You can't keep building a dying segment in a country that has higher labour and build costs and expect it to work long term.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #28
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Australian manufacturing may have had a chance at survival if they actually built cars that are popular today (hatchbacks, small-mid SUVs and dual cab utes)
You can't keep building a dying segment in a country that has higher labour and build costs and expect it to work long term.
I saw an interview today where the person was commenting on the demise of our car industry (holden in particular) and he mentioned the exact same point you raise here, but he added to make any variation in model viable, we need to sell min of 50.000 units per year.
Old 16-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #29
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day. In a ideal world Ford and Holden would be ready to reveal the latest Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore (not the Insignia Commodore imposter of course) .
The platforms would feature new innovations , newer more efficient 4 ,6 and V8 engine options along with hybrid tech ,and new transmission/drivelines etc and there'd be utility and RV vehicles that'd be a realistic alternative to SUV's. Market share would make both companies viable and a great choice to imported vehicles. Australian R&D would match world levels and genuine export markets would open up
It does certainly make me wonder what Ford could've done if they had the funding to design and build an all new generation Falcon, in particular, whether they would've taken the Falcon upmarket by incorporating all the latest tech and innovations like those found in the Mondeo, but with the refinement, quietness and smoothness of much more expensive cars like the 5 Series.

Whether or not you like the new Insignia, most impartial reviews I've read have commended just how much of a step up the Insignia is compared to the VF. It is clearly a more advanced car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
We do drive sleeker and more aerodynamic cars. The drag coefficient of my Mondeo is 0.27, compared with 0.29 of the BA/BF Falcons. Drag coefficient of the current BMW 5 series is 0.22, and the current E-class is 0.23.

Modern everyday cars are becoming more and more aerodynamically efficient to reduce drag. SUVs, however ...
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 16-10-2017 at 04:40 PM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #30
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FWD SUVs are easier to park than a sedan since they are slightly shorter.

FWD SUVs have more cargo space than a large sedan since the SUV is a wagon. Sedan are not as practical when you consider everything above the boot height up to the roof height is wasted space in a sedan since that space is apart of the interior in an SUV.

FWD SUVs don't slam the front of back bumper into driveways when you exit at 3km/h heading straight.
Sedans, especially the larger ones you have to exit some driveways at 1km/h at a 45 degree angle.

FWD SUVs most adults can slide sideways into the drivers seat.
Someone who is tall like myself have to fall into the drivers seat of a sedan.
When exiting sedans I feel like my knees have to be lifted to chest height.

So basically you're saying that everyone should be driving a box-van.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post