Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #61
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by richzx View Post
If you don't want to think about a performance RWD Korean car
You'll have the option of the AWD model too. In one of the videos it says the RWD model has the option of a mechanical LSD also......I thought that was standard, either way after Ford stuffed up and put an open diff in the rear of my F6 I'd definitely tick the LSD option.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #62
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Everyone is raving about the expected price of the Stinger. In 2013 I paid $37600 drive away for my brand new (at the time) FG MKII XR6T with leather interior, reverse camera and 5yr/200000km factory warranty. $50k plus is a big step up in my opinion.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #63
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Everyone is raving about the expected price of the Stinger. In 2013 I paid $37600 drive away for my brand new (at the time) FG MKII XR6T with leather interior, reverse camera and 5yr/200000km factory warranty. $50k plus is a big step up in my opinion.
A lot of car for the money, but it turned out to be non sustainable. There is a lot Ford could have and should have done to make it a global vehicle and increase demand, I shared many of those ideas here over the last decade or so now. My ideas were laughed at. But basically I said it needed to be reinvented as a sports sedan with higher margins and an EcoBoost V6, instead of being a large mainstream model. I still think Ford should do it, and Kia is about to prove me right.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #64
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good price - I didn't think they offered a 200000km 5 yr warranty. Not bad at all. The XR6T will go down in history as an absolute legend. Awesome vehicle.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #65
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It was a Ford promotion at the time of purchase.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #66
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
A lot of car for the money, but it turned out to be non sustainable. There is a lot Ford could have and should have done to make it a global vehicle and increase demand, I shared many of those ideas here over the last decade or so now. My ideas were laughed at. But basically I said it needed to be reinvented as a sports sedan with higher margins and an EcoBoost V6, instead of being a large mainstream model. I still think Ford should do it, and Kia is about to prove me right.
Without going off topic too much and s good as the EcoBoost V6 is, it would be hard to see it go that way instead of the Turbo 4L we had.

IMO its the best engine OZ has produced!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Next time I'm in Aus, we should race. I get the Stinger GT, you get an XR6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
You've driven the Stinger?
No one has cause it hasn't been released. And I was not referring to Falcon, I was referring to other Kia stuff vs equivalent Ford stuff. ie Focus Vs i30, Territory vs Sorrento etc.TheFalcon is dead, it will never be a competitor to Stinger. And the way a Stinger drives is yet to be determined. But being RWD I reckon it will be pretty good.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Not like the Falcon is the epitome in regards to handling either!
Sure isn't.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #68
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stinger GT4 concept car.....

Old 08-06-2017, 01:05 AM   #69
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
The only thing I got from that article is the revised 0-100 time in 5.1 seconds in ideal perfect conditions. So realistically it's a 6 sec sprint to the metric ton in the real world.... not exactly $&)t off a shovel these days hey .

The car has launched in Korea. The video is in Korean, but the 0-100 test was achieved in 4.92sec (watch starting from the 50sec mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6kfWjpnhQ
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #70
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep would buy one

Sent from ASUS ZE551ML ^_^ using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 AM   #71
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

That goes alright, sounds ok too.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #72
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Without going off topic too much and s good as the EcoBoost V6 is, it would be hard to see it go that way instead of the Turbo 4L we had.

IMO its the best engine OZ has produced!
It was.. But the Ecoboost is better, and would have put Ford Australia closer to a global platform.
It would have put Falcon & Territory ahead of the game IMO.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #73
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
It was.. But the Ecoboost is better, and would have put Ford Australia closer to a global platform.
To Ford's defence, Ford did at one stage contemplate dropping the in-line 6 for the V6 and the public (notice I didn't say buying public) jumped up and down and said they would never buy a Falcon with a V6.

So Ford carried on with the in-line 6.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #74
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
The car has launched in Korea. The video is in Korean, but the 0-100 test was achieved in 4.92sec (watch starting from the 50sec mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6kfWjpnhQ
Yeah- looks good, sounds ok. Would be a pretty handy car as a fast daily, liveable in traffic with the auto.

But in that clip- when it is accelerating above 140 kph, that is where I see a huge difference compared to my Miami on song, because the Miami only comes into its own above 130 kph odd, and the Stinger is not in the race at that upper end.

That's why I intend keeping my FGX XR8- not many cars can compete in that 140 kph and upwards range- and that is even before I go a tune, jets, pulley, carbon fibre tailshaft etc etc. I have said it before, for 520 hp bog standard, and with tune a lazy 600 LINEAR hp, with a manual box, you will really have to pay $$$ for a 4 door car to get in the ring with the blown manual miamis.

But the Stinger looks like a useful nice car that would be good as a daily, but I could never let my FGX XR8 go for a Stinger. But could be tempted having my FGX XR8 as a weekender/occasional track toy, and a Stinger as a daily.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #75
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
To Ford's defence, Ford did at one stage contemplate dropping the in-line 6 for the V6 and the public (notice I didn't say buying public) jumped up and down and said they would never buy a Falcon with a V6.

Ford Oz carried on with the online 6 because they were able to meet emissions requirements and extend its life though to 2016. Economies of scale on dwindling sales wouldn't have worked with the imported V6, but with help from the government Ford Oz kept the engine plant ticking along.

I'm not sure that public sentiment was a factor.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #76
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
And I paid 32500 for the same car at the same time, brand new. However Australia doesn't make cars any more, so the argument is no longer valid. 50k for what is a pretty quick car with a lot more gear than the turbo ever had, in 2017 is very good value.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #77
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

That might be one story, the truth is always about $$ and knowing the long term plan.

Imagine dropping the I6, tooling for a V6 for only a couple of years....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #78
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Ford Oz carried on with the online 6 because they were able to meet emissions requirements and extend its life though to 2016. Economies of scale on dwindling sales wouldn't have worked with the imported V6, but with help from the government Ford Oz kept the engine plant ticking along.

Your right mate. Comes down to $$'s and other factors. Ford AU never considered making the engine here, it was either imported fully assembled or built from kits like the V8. Problem with that was costs weren't fixed and it would have increased the costs of the Falcon which wouldn't work in the shrinking large car segment. In comparison, the I6 was well and truly 'paid for', was a fixed cost and importantly, had a turbo, just need to be Euro 4 compliant. Of course, this was around GFC when Ford was fighting for its life and the Falcon/Territory was facing the chopping block.

As for this Stinger, if I were in the market to replace my FG XR8, it would certainly be on the shopping list. With a 7 year warranty, can't go wrong, the car will be a flagship for Kia and you can bet they will do everything to ensure it succeeds.

Mod wise, if it sells, the modders will come.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #79
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
That might be one story, the truth is always about $$ and knowing the long term plan.

This one is a complete mystery. If Ford knew the Falcon had such a short time left, why did they put all that effort into fitting in a 2.0L EcoBoost into the front end of the Falcon? Why did they bother redoing e-Gas as EcoLPI? Why did they develop the 5.0L Miami engine and not just finish without a V8? Seems like Browdmeadows put up a massive fight to stay alive , but the powers that be in Detroit made sure that would not happen, and Ford Australia persisted right up to the bitter end.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #80
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are already modifying the Hyundai Genesis & Genesis Coupe. In the US 600HP and even 1000HP Claimed.

For this wanting a V8 there is talk the GenesisG8 Sport will have that Option, but im not sure if Australia is getting it.

That could depend how the Stinger is received.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #81
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
This one is a complete mystery. If Ford knew the Falcon had such a short time left, why did they put all that effort into fitting in a 2.0L EcoBoost into the front end of the Falcon? Why did they bother redoing e-Gas as EcoLPI? Why did they develop the 5.0L Miami engine and not just finish without a V8? Seems like Browdmeadows put up a massive fight to stay alive , but the powers that be in Detroit made sure that would not happen, and Ford Australia persisted right up to the bitter end.
IMO Ford US took advantage of the green fund offered by the AUS government to offset the cost of engineering the RWD application of the EcoBoost engine (that ended up in Mustang) tin foil hat type stuff I know, I'm probably wrong.

Also if I recall correctly, For AUS had already started on EcoLPi but stopped to engineer the Duratec V6. That wasted a whole lot of time which resulted in EcoLPi's late arrival.

I thought the V8 investment was ProDrives alone not Fords (who stuck with the Turbo 6 which was well and truly paid for)

On topic, I think Stinger will do very well and with that warranty is very tempting. RWD and AWD options make the car a great option for Emergency services all round Australia.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #82
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
EcoBoost, diesel Terri and EcoLPI where funded by the labour govs green innovation fund which was around 2009, Ford would have had to commit to it well before then so where compelled to do it. IIRC, the Miami was initially a FPV project and Ford Au were not happy with the $$'s FPV spent on it.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #83
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Will be interesting to see how strong the engine is. Barra could take a fair bit before needing internal upgrades.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #84
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yeh it will be. Their engines are pretty tough. The GDi 1.6 in our manual Rio has copped a shallacking since new and is still going rock solid at 109,000km. Obviously it's N/A but they do put a lot of effort into their mechanicals these days.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #85
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Your right mate. Comes down to $$'s and other factors. Ford AU never considered making the engine here, it was either imported fully assembled or built from kits like the V8. Problem with that was costs weren't fixed and it would have increased the costs of the Falcon which wouldn't work in the shrinking large car segment. In comparison, the I6 was well and truly 'paid for', was a fixed cost and importantly, had a turbo, just need to be Euro 4 compliant. Of course, this was around GFC when Ford was fighting for its life and the Falcon/Territory was facing the chopping block.

As for this Stinger, if I were in the market to replace my FG XR8, it would certainly be on the shopping list. With a 7 year warranty, can't go wrong, the car will be a flagship for Kia and you can bet they will do everything to ensure it succeeds.

Mod wise, if it sells, the modders will come.
Reading my post back, it was poorly worded. I didn't mean it to say that Ford dropped the V6 because of the public reaction but people did get upset over the proposal of a V6.

Ford considered the V6 back in the AU days. They were going to shut down the engine assembly plant and import them. IIRC the government stepped in at the last moment with incentives to keep the engine plant open.

No, it wasn't going to be the ecoboost V6 but if they had gone V6 back then I would assume that the V6 ecoboost would have found its way into the FG series.

Anyway, I'm getting way off topic here. I think the Stinger will be a great car.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #86
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Dont know if better as such but it was an engine that was ready. The turbo 6 probably needed some development to get it to the same levels (not power) as the EcoBoost 6
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #87
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I personally think the you can trace a line back to when the Falcon was killed. And it was when they announced that the Inline 6 would continue instead of investing in the Duratec V6.

I have said it before, but a new engine was never going to save the Falcon. It was the wrong body style competing for the minds of SUV buyers.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #88
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
IMO Ford US took advantage of the green fund offered by the AUS government to offset the cost of engineering the RWD application of the EcoBoost engine (that ended up in Mustang) tin foil hat type stuff I know, I'm probably wrong.

Also if I recall correctly, For AUS had already started on EcoLPi but stopped to engineer the Duratec V6. That wasted a whole lot of time which resulted in EcoLPi's late arrival.

I thought the V8 investment was ProDrives alone not Fords (who stuck with the Turbo 6 which was well and truly paid for)

On topic, I think Stinger will do very well and with that warranty is very tempting. RWD and AWD options make the car a great option for Emergency services all round Australia.
I couldnt have put it better. On both counts.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #89
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone doubting the 0-100 times, watch the following video. They have a few goes at it and remember this is with 3 people onboard.

https://youtu.be/OR02618mOnU

Best time of 4.8s at around the 3:00 mark of video.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #90
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Effortless.