Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #61
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GM Detroit to Holden "No more Excuses"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
That is to say, if it wasn't for foresight & planning, the local market would have collapsed post-Falcon production?
Fiesta, Focus, Kuga and Mondeo aren't setting the sales charts on fire ! The only cars selling for Ford are the Mustang and Ranger. Ford would have banked on Everest selling more than it is. One of the girls I work with her husband bought a BT50 GT considered the Ranger XLT but Mazda won on price. Its a very competitive market out there. There are too many vehicles on the market.
Button Plan didn't work.. Hyundai i30 now comes with 5 year free servicing. Holden have 7 year warranty,,etc etc
Old 14-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Fiesta, Focus, Kuga and Mondeo aren't setting the sales charts on fire ! The only cars selling for Ford are the Mustang and Ranger. Ford would have banked on Everest selling more than it is. One of the girls I work with her husband bought a BT50 GT considered the Ranger XLT but Mazda won on price. Its a very competitive market out there. There are too many vehicles on the market.
Button Plan didn't work.. Hyundai i30 now comes with 5 year free servicing. Holden have 7 year warranty,,etc etc
Ford has the price there for Everest starting above $50K and topping out at around $90K,
that leads to asking what the actual sales mix is, I have a feeling that it's pretty rich.

And that's how it seems to go these days with Ford as an importer, they only follow the easy sales
and don't chase down every last discounted sale.

While Hyundai i30 has superior sales, Focus now starts at Trend (~$24K) and every sale now
carries a higher profit than in the past but that's not to overlook the very good work of mazda 3.

these days of multi franchised dealer, a lot of them can offer Fords and whatever they
manage to sell is enough, gone are the days of desperation to maximize monthly sales.

what am I saying?
Ford has given up trying to convince the un-convincable, it just focuses on products it has
that people want.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #63
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jpd80 my local Ford dealer sells Ford, Mitsi, Kia, Isuzu, Great Wall !!
Old 14-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

And that's how it seems to go these days with Ford as an importer, they only follow the easy sales
and don't chase down every last discounted sale.
some manufacturers seem to put a lot of importance on being at the top of the sales charts. in some ways this can work for you from a marketing standpoint because people do tend to think that popular equals best, but it doesn't mean its the best strategy for all manufacturers.

Everest will grow, but with Territory now finished, Ford have quite a gap between Escape and Everest. They need Edge here pronto.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #65
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Next Friday is lights out at the Holden Elizabeth plant.

Last year it was Ford fans who went through the closure of its manufacturing presence in Australia.

Now Holden fans are living our nightmare.

Personally for knowing what they must be feeling right now and as a show of respect for an old enemy, I just want to let them all know that I share their pain.

No matter how much we debate the subject and try to understand the logic or lack of, it's all over in a few days.

Massive rally on at Elizabeth tomorrow to honour the GMH brand and I'll probably go to have a look because the show of support for local manufacturering to this level in this country may never be seen again, ever.
Old 15-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #66
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels is releasing a 196 page magazine on Oct 19 about Holden in Australia. I don't remember them doing this for Ford ?
Old 15-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #67
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wheels is releasing a 196 page magazine on Oct 19 about Holden in Australia. I don't remember them doing this for Ford ?
G'day , Not an avid reader of Wheels these days ,just here and there but I think both Wheels and Motor did issues that focussed heavily on Ford last year. I agree though with you , not 196 pages worth..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #68
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The sad part for Holden fans is that they can't say a proper goodbye to Commodore,
Holden is chucking the badge in the next Insignia to draw more sales.

I applaud Ford for hanging on for so long and letting Falcon go out as a winner
by retiring the name and not putting it on the Mondeo.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
some manufacturers seem to put a lot of importance on being at the top of the sales charts. in some ways this can work for you from a marketing standpoint because people do tend to think that popular equals best, but it doesn't mean its the best strategy for all manufacturers.

Everest will grow, but with Territory now finished, Ford have quite a gap between Escape and Everest. They need Edge here pronto.
Imagine if Edge was called Territory and Everest was made more trucky and had the name Bronco.....

(Please Ford, don't use poxy Equator name, that's about as Meh as Mondeo...Fusion please?)
Old 15-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #71
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Lol, hardly debunked, just because some random on the internetz says his is ok
I wasn't referring to his post but, the view of someone who owns one carries more weight than some random on the internetz who hasn't owned one trying to convince us otherwise.
Old 15-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Imagine if Edge was called Territory and Everest was made more trucky and had the name Bronco.....

(Please Ford, don't use poxy Equator name, that's about as Meh as Mondeo...Fusion please?)
If Terri had real money put into it. It would be a great global vehicle. Unfortunately Ford don't wanna revamp it.
Old 16-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

In terms of selling to private buyers, Ford have made huge steps forward here. I think it's like 80% private sales. And the model mix is very rich. Profits would be very, very good.

Hyundai have tried to pitch the new i30 at a higher price point and sales have dropped a lot. The previous model sold 90% base model, and they could only get them out the door for under 20k drive away. They have already blinked and will introduce a cheaper entry level model that loses equipment to bring the price down. Despite selling heaps of the previous model i30, the profits would have been tiny. Ford have moved away from this sales at any cost tactic.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #74
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
If Terri had real money put into it. It would be a great global vehicle. Unfortunately Ford don't wanna revamp it.
True, but it's based on an aging RWD platform that wasn't shared with existing models besides the Falcon. It's counterpart in the US/One Ford shared its platform with many models, including Mazda so it never made sense to make the Terri a global vehicle.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post