Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are Mondeos any good?

I am looking to replace my FG XR6 and am considering a 2012 onward Mondeo.I have read many of the posts on here about various problems and would like to know the following:

-Which is the best engine? Either of the 3 would seem to be an improvement,economy wise,on the XR6.

-Is the Powershift transmission the same as the one used in the LW Focus? (My wife has one of those and I am well aware of the potential problems there)

-Do the later model hatches leak water into the car or was it only the early ones?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Are Mondeos any good?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the company I work for just coverted their rep fleet from Mondeo wagons to Hyundai i40 wagons, because they had so much trouble with the Mondeos. They also tried Mitsubishi Outlanders but found the ergonomics unsuitable to many long distance drivers.

I drove one of the 2011 Mondeos about 5 K's recently and thanked my lucky stars I'd been given the Hyundai.

I can't comment on any models newer than 2011 thoough, so hopefully Ford has fixed the many issues with the Mondeo. It's lightyears from being a viable replacement for the Falcon wagon, sadly.

It was sad, being a Ford man.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow nothing like opening a can of worms!

Are Mondeo's any good - YES! (but that is my opinion)

Engine wise, 2.3L petrol no idea, not really interested either. 2.0L EcoBoost fantastic! 2.0L Duratorq TDCi very strong! (but that is my opinion also)

I have never had an issues with water or anything of that nature. My car is nearing 3yrs of age and has only had the rear hatch struts and rear parcel shelf replaced under warranty. No other warranty related concerns.

Here is some info on the PowerShift, is it the same as the Focus? Not sure, maybe...

Ford PowerShift is standard equipment on new Mondeo with either the 203 or 240 PS 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine – creating an advanced combination that delivers new levels of fuel efficiency and low CO2, yet still demonstrates that driving pleasure does not need to result in high CO2 emission levels. Ford PowerShift is also optional with 140 and 163 PS versions of the 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi common rail turbo-diesel engine.
Developed by Getrag Ford Transmissions GmbH as a 50:50 Ford and GETRAG joint venture, the Ford Powershift transmission consists of two layshaft transmissions working in parallel, each with its own wet-clutch unit. Thanks to the layout of the intermediate shafts – one carrying the 'uneven' gears 1, 3 and 5, and the other the 'even' gears 2, 4 and 6 – subsequent gear changes can be prepared by pre-selecting the next gear while in motion and at full power. The change then takes place through the opposed activation of both clutches, this being co-ordinated to avoid torque interruption.
In contrast to conventional automatic transmissions, the basic technical configuration of the Ford PowerShift transmission offers numerous advantages. It does not, for instance, require any complex sub-systems such as torque converters, planetary gear sets, multiple wet-clutches and multiple bands – all of which significantly reduce gearbox efficiency through increased inertia and drag torque effects.
Homologated fuel economy data for the 203 and 240 PS 2.0-litre Ford EcoBoost engines paired with Ford PowerShift, clearly demonstrates how efficient a modern powertrain combination with automatic transmission can be. The new Mondeo with this state-of-the-art powertrain delivers a combined fuel economy of just 7.7 l/100 km (36.6 mpg)* and an average CO2 emission level of just 179 g/km. The combination of Duratorq TDCi engine (140 or 163 PS) and Ford Powershift, generates an even more impressive combined fuel economy of just 5.6 l/100 km (50.4 mpg)*, with an average CO2 emission level of just 149 g/km.
For the driver, using Ford PowerShift is as simple and easy as a conventional automatic transmission, with a standard automatic gear lever in the centre console and the usual P, R, N and D settings available. In addition to this regular set-up, sport and manual modes can be selected by moving the gear lever to the right and into another adjacent position. In sport mode the transmission adjusts the shifting points to a higher revs for more performance, and down-shifts are executed more instantaneously if harder acceleration is required.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well.....

I drove an XR6 during after we took delivery of our Mondeo, and, on balance, I'm glad that our wish for a diesel engined car guided us to the Mondeo (we had driven a Mk3 diesel in the UK and that car made a very good impression). We would probably have bought a Falcon IF there was a diesel engine option.

The Mondeo is a big car, in terms of interior space it is larger than a Falcon, and based on our experience better screwed together.

Our car has had no faults, excepting one due to dealer hamfistedness, in 60,000 km of distance. It is very economical - our long term average is 6.5 litres/100km at an average speed of 60 km/hour - live in a regional area and do a lot of highway km.

If the i40 is a better car then it must be very, very good indeed

Another factor is that the plant where our car was built (Gent, Belgium) got scheduled for shut down in 2013 and Ford intended to assemble the Mondeo in Valencia, Spain starting in 2014, but I am not sure if this has happened yet.

Senior executives need to learn a fundamental lesson, which is that if you forecast a shut down the morale of the workers gets a hammering and the quality of the product starts to suffer, I suspect that the Mondeos referred to Ducati's post might have fallen into this situation.

A further problem is dealers, bluntly, in my experience, they are not well versed with imported ford models. In our case they broke our car at the 3,000 courtesy service. The problem did not keep it off the road, but it was a different dealer that got the fix done at the 15,000 km service. Other than this the car has been faultless.

Reading the addition to OPE126's post, I'm not surprised if there have been some transmission unit problems, based on the description. There is an old engineering maxim, which is the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and since our car has an "old fashioned" straight forward transmission might be a reason for lack of problems.

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about car replacement for a couple of years, perhaps by then Ford will have ironed out the bugs and have gotten the Valencia Plant working like the Gent Plant used to.

Further, we deliberately bought the sedan version, based on our experience with a TX5 Hatch. That car had many rattles and squeaks from the hatch "door" as the seals wore and we preferred to avoid a potential repeat. The parcel shelf also stiffens up the car's back end. (The boot, by the way is huge, pity Ford Oz discontinued the importation of the sedan).

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok,I am considering a very late 2012 Zetec ecoboost with 30000kms.I was told this morning about an email sent by a national aftermarket warranty company to a large used car retailer asking them to cease selling their warranty on Mondeos as a result of too many transmission claims.
Obviously they would be referring to cars out of factory warranty,which I wouldn't be buying anyway so I'll have a closer look at one.

Last edited by Morexbs; 02-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Morexbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've thought about another Mondeo, a Titanium wagon with the TDCi engine.
I absolutely love our 09 Zetec TDCi hatch. Ours was made in Belgium in 09, which was prior to the factory issues.

I've often pondered the powershift and it's potential problems. Combined with the factory issues which caught the MC model, I guess many would wait until the Spanish plant got going full swing.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
GT014

Watching this with interest as I'm looking at a 2011+ titanium model to replace my fg2 xr6 turbo
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888 View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the company I work for just coverted their rep fleet from Mondeo wagons to Hyundai i40 wagons, because they had so much trouble with the Mondeos. They also tried Mitsubishi Outlanders but found the ergonomics unsuitable to many long distance drivers.

I drove one of the 2011 Mondeos about 5 K's recently and thanked my lucky stars I'd been given the Hyundai.

I can't comment on any models newer than 2011 thoough, so hopefully Ford has fixed the many issues with the Mondeo. It's lightyears from being a viable replacement for the Falcon wagon, sadly.

It was sad, being a Ford man.
this is very generic. care to be more specific about the problems? you should really quantify your statement rather than a broad sweeping statement about 'many issues and problems'.

always helpful for those in the market to know of specific problems.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT014 View Post
Watching this with interest as I'm looking at a 2011+ titanium model to replace my fg2 xr6 turbo
why?!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
The Mondeo is a big car, in terms of interior space it is larger than a Falcon,
nope, the only dimension that mondeo is bigger than falcon is front legroom, and given most wouldn't have the seat at its maximum distance, this is probably not that relevant.

not many other cars come close to the good ol' falcon(and territory) for shoulder room, esp across the rear if you have kids. there aren't too many that can fit 3 car seats across the rear.

also, centre console/cup holder area is wider in falcon.

i looked at mondeo when buying my FG and the falcon interior is what won me over. when it comes time to upgrade, mondeo will once again be a consideration as i do like them.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
nope.
I stand corrected. Based on straight dimension comparison.

But, when I drove the XR6 I could not get over how intrusive the transmission tunnel/console was in comparison with the Mondeo, so my comment regarding space was somewhat subjective, summing the legroom in the two cars gives the Mondeo an edge, and many tall drivers have commented how the extra front legroom is advantageous - not so much a concern for me, but with the seats in my driving position, the rear legroom is very generous.

Yep, narrower, but a smaller console allows seats to be very comparable.

But you live with what you have, and pretty soon the Mondeo will be the only "full" sized car in the ford line up - pity that.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
GT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
why?!
New baby, free up some $$ and build quality of the FG2. Only 18000 Kms and already have oil leak from diff
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

ah yeah fair enough
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
sande94
Starter Motor

Mondeo TDCi Wagon - 30000km and crankshaft seal needs replacing. Been off the road now for 3 days with the dealer. Thankfully a warranty job, although not that instilled with confidence when the service guy said he hadn't done one before!. A couple of other annoying things like curtain airbag rattle that has seen the airbags replaced, dealer has had a couple of goes at fixing but it still rattles, outside air temp failed. Worse part is the time it takes to get parts. Any parts that have require replacing is at least 8-10 weeks in my experience. Great car to drive. Tried the Hyundai i40 and the Mondeo was superior in terms of driveability and comfort.
sande94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Purchased mine Feb 2010. MA 2007 2.3ltr petrol 6 speed hatch. Built in October so it would have nearly been one of the first off the plant i believe. Was dealer used, came with 2.5 years new car warranty, 11000kms on the clock.

Now has 81000kms. Done front rotors, and both sets of brake pads (rears done twice). Original tyres lasted 55000kms.

Ultimately it was purchased due to family. Had baby on her way, had to upgrade. Boot space in the hatch is huge. Bride can pack in pram and shopping in any configuration imaginable and it all fits with plenty of room to spare.

Current configuration is 2 child seats in rear, still enough room with a squeeze to fit another adult.

Petrol engine is not powerful, but does its job well. On long trips 1000kms a tank is achievable when loaded.

Overall, the car is quite brilliant. Drive is good. Design internally and externally is great.

It all comes down to taste, and i have read this site for a few years now and read many many peoples issues. I find tho, that people are quicker to complain then praise. I would recommend a Mondy to anyone who asks my opinion, and to be honest cant wait till the Fusion / Mondeo finally makes it way to our shores.
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
jim
Starter Motor

Mc ecoboost, great car, not one problem!
jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sande94 View Post
outside air temp failed. Worse part is the time it takes to get parts.
Once upon a time it was a requirement in this country that a manufacturer/importer(?) was required to keep available for reasonable substitution, spare parts for 10 years on any device sold to the public. As a result there was a very large volume of storage devoted to spare parts and this impacted upon the cost of those parts.

That seems to be a part of history, but the spares cost has not decreased owing to the decrease in the cost of storage space.

Welcome to the new world, where a spare part may be weeks away and your car will be off the road until it arrives, and makes its way to the dealer/repairer.

And you are not going to be able to buy anything except an imported car soon. I wonder who we can collectively blame for that?

I think I'll start growing oats and buy a horse - if it can't carry me, provided I've treated it with love and respect, it might be a good companion....

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

AlanD said - But, when I drove the XR6 I could not get over how intrusive the transmission tunnel/console was in comparison with the Mondeo,

I'll second that opinion.
My BA XR6 Turbo experience only extended to the bum test at the dealers yard.
Falcon is a big car with (then) little inside space.

MB XR5 sitting in the driveway ....4 yrs down and counting.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

I can't say that's ever been a concern for me
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I can't say that's ever been a concern for me
or me, and i'm 6'2. i like mondeo's, but they aren't roomier than a falcon, even if they 'feel' like they are.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
or me, and i'm 6'2. i like mondeo's, but they aren't roomier than a falcon, even if they 'feel' like they are.
I reckon you've nailed it prydey.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Ok...I went and checked some numbers in the brochures on this forum.
Shoulder room (as published by Ford OZ)
MC Mondeo 1448mm
BA Falcon 1513mm
So yes, on paper the Falcon is bigger inside at the shoulder measurement.

Doesn't change the fact that the first thing that happened when I sat in the 2010 Falcon BA XR6T was knock my knee on the console, and felt horribly crowded by it. Just my experiences, and other people have their own. Peoples first impressions sell cars (or not).

And I'm 5'7".........
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #23
oldbar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
Ok...I went and checked some numbers in the brochures on this forum.
Shoulder room (as published by Ford OZ)
MC Mondeo 1448mm
BA Falcon 1513mm
So yes, on paper the Falcon is bigger inside at the shoulder measurement.

Doesn't change the fact that the first thing that happened when I sat in the 2010 Falcon BA XR6T was knock my knee on the console, and felt horribly crowded by it. Just my experiences, and other people have their own. Peoples first impressions sell cars (or not).

And I'm 5'7".........
My brother has a 2010 falcon i cant sit in it to drive it as i am very cramped .
I have sat in a Mondeo it has plenty of leg room for me I am 6ft 5in
After reading the posts on here I am not sure if i should buy a Mondeo .
The posts about the factory in Denmark and how hard parts are to get if something breaks down is a Bit of a worry
Also i have been told the services for the diesel are very expensive compared to petrol
The only other real choice i have is the VE commodore or the Holden Cruze which gives me a lot of leg room.
oldbar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

You're 6ft5 and can fit in a cruze but not an FG?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #25
oldbar
Starter Motor

Quote:
You're 6ft5 and can fit in a cruze but not an FG?

That is right ..I have been in his car a few times and i am cramped
Sat in a mondeo and the seat was great so was the leg room .it has a lot to do with the dash and the way it is designed.
The wrap around dashes are what gets my with my legs.
Also sat in a Cruze and it was great as well...I was surprised to be honest
oldbar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbar View Post
Sat in a mondeo and the seat was great so was the leg room .it has a lot to do with the dash and the way it is designed.
like professor, i find it hard to believe. if i put the seat all the way back in my fg, i can barely reach the pedals with my feet.

i guess luckily in this country, we have the choice to buy a car that suits us.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #27
ozbloke
Starter Motor

Hi all,
Have a TDCI/powershift wagon as company car ( second one ) seating position has your ankle at funny position relative to hips ( tho im an old fart ) and after a week in the car you feel it . The turbo lag /fire going out and the transmission combine to make a lot of "oh **** " moments at roundabouts , all who drive these things in the fleet agree ( 20 cars ) and no different from original wagon . Very quiet and can see designed to cruise at 140 in Europe easily . Audio on iPhone/iPod is crap currently ongoing issue with dealer again 20 cars.
My FG maybe not as quiet, but goes harder and is a much better thing .
Would I buy one NO
ozbloke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbar View Post
fair enough mate
Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #29
b2428

I have a ma mondeo. And yes have had a few issues as can be seen through a few threads. Would I buy another, I have decided(well this week anyway) that I sure would. Would love a titanium with a standard auto diesel. Unfortunately I can't and service costs for the power shift might mean I can't atm. But would be on the list.

What else can you fit 4 adults, one baby seat and in the booy 4 large bags, an esky and all the little things in. Travel from goulburn to the mid north Coast mainly at 110 into a head wind and average 6.2l/100.

Only other car I would consider atm was a g6 ecoboost. But would lose the boot space.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #30
GT014

Just a quickie for owners, what is the air cond like in the mondeo's? That's the one thing I can't fault with ford falcons, as they are iced cool in our hot summers in vic.