Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #61
FgNewbie
Australia

I won't put my hands where I can't see any more.

A redback nearly got me when I was cleaning a web inside a garden tap.

One of my side gates regularly had a big spider on it. One night it was too dark to see but I reached over to open the gate, YUK!!!!! I squished him in my fingers when I grabbed the gate. (Gate since removed).

A few years ago, a spider put me in hospital for a month after working in the backyard. Found the fang marks, not the spider.

In the 80s something bit me on the neck while I was driving interstate on the Hume. Doing 140 kph I was slapping my neck like a lunatic and braking as hard as I could. Stopped the car, jumped out, ripped my shirt off and stomped all over it. A scene fit for Youtube. Took a detour to a country town to find a GP. The GP saw the marks and asked me what sort of spider it was. I offered to go back and retrieve my shirt and what was left of the splatter. I got antihistamines instead.

I've had bloody big huntsmen / tarantulas live in or under nearly all my cars over ther years till I could give them a headache. I assume they fall out of trees (which I won't park under any more). They have run across the inside of my screen, outside of the screen then inside the passenger window, across the dash, dropped off driver's sun visor, from inside the driver side trim up the seatbelt, around door hinges & jams, across the roof then in the tailgate. They are just the ones that put the wind up me.

The best one was something really big and furry, ran across the dash in front of my brother in the passenger seat. While my brother was self-ejecting at a set of lights, he wanted to squash him on the dash with a shoe "NO!!!!!!!!" The bugger followed my brother out of the car into the darkness and under the car. Brother wouldn't get back in the car and caught a cab (I was tempted to join him). I drove to a servo and used 3 cans of Baygon before he dropped down under the car.

My new FG has the standard mirror spiders. Not sure what has made a web between the towball and back of the car. I spray and they come back.

I could keep going but I'll leave it with... a female friend has a handful of big spiders living in her kitchen, she has NAMED them.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #62
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been bitten 3 times now by redbacks , first time hospital and serious monitoring then released the next day , second time Hospital fellt a liitle unwell released 6 hours later , third time barely even noticed any effects at all . Doc says I have built up an immunity by producing my own antibodies from exposure to the venom .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #63
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
You haven't lived until you've bin stung by a scorpion, I'll tell you about it one day, but when it comes to spiders.... I'm a bloody hero......

http://bloggercav.blogspot.com/2010/...1-tomorra.html
Do tell!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #64
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
ltd - don't know what part of the world your in, buy I seriously doubt you have funnel webs on the underside of your mower. Thats just not funnel web behaviour. Yes they will get into a cool garage/house but its usually after a very wet period and they travel uphill trying to avoid the flooding.
I should clarify, my mower is one of those mulching mowers which requires hosing through a hole in the frame with the engine running to clean. If it is not done you get build up. I have had two funnel webs in the mower frame, the first one jumped out when I tried to start it and scared the ever loving crap out of me, the second was when I moved the mower and it fell out dead.

What I was getting at before is the reason they come into your house or garage, they typically prefer to be in their nests.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #65
aj1964
FPV Boss 290 #0213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Theres a spider behind my side mirror which will not vacate, I pressure hosed the hell out of it and though surely i thought it was gone, woke up the next morning to see yet another cob-web, good heads up though, now where did i put the mortien
Lol, me too. Spider living in the drivers side mirror of the wife's AU. the cobwebs always came back no matter how much pressurised water I sprayed there. I took the scalp off to paint it and soaked the inside of the mirror assembly with mortein surface spray. Haven't seen any cobwebs since!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #66
aj1964
FPV Boss 290 #0213

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Been bitten 3 times now by redbacks , first time hospital and serious monitoring then released the next day , second time Hospital fellt a liitle unwell released 6 hours later , third time barely even noticed any effects at all . Doc says I have built up an immunity by producing my own antibodies from exposure to the venom .
No extra spider senses tingling, ability to climb walls or anything?? Lol
Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #67
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

No radioactive red backs around.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #68
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Huntsman

This little beauty crawled across my windscreen at about 3am one morning.

Wayne

XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #69
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

You guys are all wusses... Tuffen up !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #70
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad who was a mechanic says the most dangerous part of being a mechanic are the hidden spiders.

actually I just realised, my profile pic to the left has a spider on the headlight, although its fangs are too small to penetrate human skin it still creeped me out.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #71
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently had to pull an engine from an EF that had been sitting on a bush block for the last three years. Car was covered in redbacks so gave it a good spray first. Still managed to have one land on my hand while it was wedged under the inlet manifold taking the top starter bolt out. No bites...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #72
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

i had a whitetail hiding in the corner of my shed and i didnt have any mortein or anything so i gave it a hit with some wd40 instead... that didnt kill it and i thought oh damn now its gonna be quick! so i painted it yellow so i wouldnt lose it lol
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #73
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v[]
i had a whitetail hiding in the corner of my shed and i didnt have any mortein or anything so i gave it a hit with some wd40 instead... that didnt kill it and i thought oh damn now its gonna be quick! so i painted it yellow so i wouldnt lose it lol
hahahahaha

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #74
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Thumbs up, top notch thread.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #75
TRRTRY

The ones with no legs freak me out also - hanging down below the 4 on the number plate

Fan killed it for me - hehe

TRRTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #76
nb_351
building the xe...

nice snake pic haha
when i was working at the4 army base i had so many near misses, you learn to go and wash them front to back forst, especially when they go out bush, come and sit around for a while...
found snakes a few times, not to mention how many spiders have scared the bejesus out of me lol
spent one morning chasing one out in the paddock in a army rover haha theyre too quick though
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #77
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

had another funny story toady with a spider (damn i hate em!) i was pulling some stuff off my parts ute and i see half a spider dissapear into a hole in the ground... and me being the spider hating meanie i decided to pour some thinners down the hole and flush him out! it was a big one and he didnt like the free drink i gave him so it came out and i squished it.. i think it may have been a funnel web but probly not because theyre not in vic apparently.. but still sorted him out nicely!
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #78
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v[]
had another funny story toady with a spider (damn i hate em!) i was pulling some stuff off my parts ute and i see half a spider dissapear into a hole in the ground... and me being the spider hating meanie i decided to pour some thinners down the hole and flush him out! it was a big one and he didnt like the free drink i gave him so it came out and i squished it.. i think it may have been a funnel web but probly not because theyre not in vic apparently.. but still sorted him out nicely!
ASFAIK, funnel web spiders are in many places, they're just not the Sydney funnel web.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #79
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

im plannin on respraying the cat and a thread like this comes up....
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #80
FgNewbie
Australia

FMC351 thanks for motivating me to google.

I found this interesting. Australian funnel webs are restricted to the south-east of the continent, and mainly in coastal areas. There are at least 40 different species, and not all are dangerous, unlike the notorious Sydney Funnel-web spider.

I wish I hadn't read the female can live for 20 years and female redbacks produce up to 1000 eggs. Enough reading. Ignorance is bliss!
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #81
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

If you check back through this thread to one of my previous posts, it'll ease your mind. No one has died from a red back and funnel web bite in many years. And if you're an adult you're pretty safe anyway. Sick, old, or kids are at greater risk.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #82
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
im plannin on respraying the cat and a thread like this comes up....

How are you going to keep the cat still till the paint drys?
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #83
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
How are you going to keep the cat still till the paint drys?
Witchcraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
FMC351 thanks for motivating me to google.

...Enough reading. Ignorance is bliss!
Im here to help.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #84
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
nice snake pic haha
when i was working at the4 army base i had so many near misses, you learn to go and wash them front to back forst, especially when they go out bush, come and sit around for a while...
found snakes a few times, not to mention how many spiders have scared the bejesus out of me lol
spent one morning chasing one out in the paddock in a army rover haha theyre too quick though
When I did army cadets we had camps, and on one of our once a year week long camps we had this one cadet sleeping right next to me and two other officers, he woke us up around 1.00am screaming that he had a snake in his sleeping bag. So we walk over with a shovel and a machete and 'lo and behold there is two browns in his bag. Me and a sargeant battered them to death and told the junior to harden up(we where secretly pooing our pants.)
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post