Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 17-10-2011, 02:43 AM   #211
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: XC Cobra #140

The engine is now mostly complete. I still have to clean up the rocker covers and then it will be ready for paint.

From the start

Upon arrival at home last week - block, heads and crank

Getting everything ready

And before the rest of the pics, here are some detailed shots of the block.

When the block was stripped, I noticed that number 5 cylinder had a hole in the bore, not happy! Anyways, after having the block acid bathed, it was found that both number 1 and number 5 cylinder had sleeves fitted. I am not knowing when this was done but obviously, number 5 had to be removed. It was agreed that both 1 & 5 would be sleeved and the rest (currently at 0.030") would be taken out to 0.040". However, upon machining, it was seen that the cylinders were no cleaning up. Soooooooo, all 8 cylinders had to be re-sleeved, an expensive deal. However, I think it worth it so as to keep the car as original as possible.

Here are the pics of the sleeves

Moving along, camshafts ready to go (two there as I was doing the XD 351 at the same time)

Crank is ready to go

And the bearings

And in she goes

Next was getting the pistons and rings ready. Both the XD and the XC had to have some of their rings filed so as to make necessary clearance so this added a lot of time to getting this part done.

First piston going in

With the first bank in

And now with the rest of the pistons in

And now getting ready for the timing gear/cover and water pump

And tapping out the three new holes as well.

Timing gear in

And water pump on

Bottom end mostly done and ready for the oil pump

Oil pumps, pick ups and drives ready

And on she goes

Followed by the sump

And now for the heads

Heads on

With rocker gear

And lastly for the inlet manifold.

This is as far as I have gotten as I now need to get the rocker covers on and it will then be painted. Speaking of which....
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #212
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I got some paint stripper on the air cleaners and rocker covers this afternoon but they may need to doing again. At any rate, they will be cleaned up and then painted accordingly.

I have also had all of the exhaust manifolds sand blasted as well

And then painted

I also managed to buy some bearings for the Ac idler pulleys, will be interesting to see if these can be repaired.

The FMX is also home too. It will be painted as well.

More pics to follow.
Old 17-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #213
Paull
P6 LTD

Clinton, manifold????????
Old 17-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #214
Snake Bite

Hey Paul, you know tyres life spans are only recommended for 7 years?
.[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul looking good mate, I dont think I would worry to much about the age of the tyre, I think its just tyre companies trying to increase sales. I just got a new set of tyres for my car on Friday and they said the ones on the car were on it since 1984! I had it for 10 years now and the only reason I got new ones is I saved some loose change for a year and I went a bit fatter otherwise they could have lasted another 10 years. Good thing also is there seems to be lots of places you can buy the old size tyres now.

Keep up the good work
Old 17-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #215
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Love the detail Paul.

Especially how methodical you are with your engine build. Like a surgeon!

Keep it up mate. Nearly there
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #216
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Top stuff on the engine rebuild....There is something I'm going to try very soon. Does not seem overly difficult if doing just a stock rebuild.

Well done keep it up!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #217
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

A/C pulleys rebuild quite easy. A little bit of loctite & a couple of centre-pops just to make sure, and they'll be sweet!

Ed
Old 18-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #218
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
The whole time all of the tyres have been double wrapped in black plastic bags. The only time they came out was when the tyres were put onto the rims and then straight back in again.

I am not knowing if age alone will perish the tyres??? I know that they will suffer quite badly from UV, that is, being left out in the sun.
Mate, I dont think it's that they perish or the UV damage (which of course stuffs them up) but I think it's a case of the rubber denergrating over time. The compound breaks down. Thats how a guy at a tyre shop explained it to me once. They do have a shelf life apparently.
I'd be ringing a professional tyre shop to make sure.
Old 21-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #219
Paull
P6 LTD

The rear seat is in, well kind of. I need to get some more pinch weld for the B pillar and once that is done, hopefully the seats can go in.

Steering box is also in as well. Had to wait a while to get it but all is good now

FMX is also now ready as well. I had to come up with a way of painting the whole assembly and thought, "this should work"

Masking up for the centre section

And painted

Same again for the bell housing and extension housing

And painted

Engine is now also complete. Last things remaining were the exhaust manifolds and lifting brackets

And ready to come off the engine stand

And this is where it sits now. I have put in the rear oil gallery plugs as well as the camshaft core plug followed by the sandwich plate and flex plate

A nice NOS emissions cannister has also gone in as well

And lastly, one small problem - "old versus new" new stuff. I bought a couple of engine mounts quite some time ago and they have sat in the draw up until now. Recently, I bought another two sets, all Mckay products. See if you can spot the difference (which are the old new ones and which are the new new ones???)

Old 21-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #220
MAV50L
Banned

The lower ones are the new new ones.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #221
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Exactly what I was going to say.
Old 21-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #222
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
Yep, cheap and nasty.

I went into Superoo today and i was speaking with one of the guys there: he made mention that he too had also had problems with them. Will now try and get Kelpro ones to see if they are any better.
Old 21-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #223
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Bite
Hi Paul looking good mate, I dont think I would worry to much about the age of the tyre, I think its just tyre companies trying to increase sales. I just got a new set of tyres for my car on Friday and they said the ones on the car were on it since 1984! I had it for 10 years now and the only reason I got new ones is I saved some loose change for a year and I went a bit fatter otherwise they could have lasted another 10 years. Good thing also is there seems to be lots of places you can buy the old size tyres now. .
I will still send off the question to Yokohama but it is pretty much a moot point for now as I wont be buying new ones again (any time soon that is).

Last edited by Paull; 21-10-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 21-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #224
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Top stuff on the engine rebuild....There is something I'm going to try very soon. Does not seem overly difficult if doing just a stock rebuild.

Well done keep it up!
Doesn't matter how many times I re-build a clevo, I always refer to the 'bible'

Old 21-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #225
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Paul, looking good as always. Top job yet again. Do your rear door trims have the spots for the seatbelt buckle bitties or do you still need to drill/secure these to the trims? Or are the holes there and I am blind? I assume you bought the NOS carbon canister recently off Ebay like me?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #226
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Love the Charcoal Canister!

If only it would fit my landau I would buy one. This has connections top and bottom. Mine only has them on top :(

Last edited by gcg2503; 22-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #227
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

We had a copy of that Engine rebuild book but lost it. Trying to track down another one now. It is definitely the bible for engine rebuilds.
Old 22-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #228
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
Hey Paul, looking good as always. Top job yet again. Do your rear door trims have the spots for the seatbelt buckle bitties or do you still need to drill/secure these to the trims? Or are the holes there and I am blind? I assume you bought the NOS carbon canister recently off Ebay like me?
You mean this one here

I have actually fitted P6 LTD rear 'retractable' seat belts so I wont be using those buckle receptacles. And no, the door trims did not come with them nor did I ask for them.
Old 22-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #229
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
Correct. Cheap and nasty unfortunately

I am now trying to source some Kelpro ones to see if they are any better.
Old 22-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #230
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Love the detail Paul.

Especially how methodical you are with your engine build. Like a surgeon!

Keep it up mate. Nearly there
Certainly am

The engine and gearbox are now together awaiting fitting to the car

There are a few more items that need to be fitted;

- Active cable to RH engine mount
- AC evaporator drain hose
- Power steering return line
- Earth strap
- Window wiper motor
- Fire wall grommets
- 2 brake line clips plus the speedo cable and brake line clip
- Hand brake assembly (2 nuts on the fire wall, much easier to get to whilst the engine is out)
- Steering coloumn and rag joint coupling bolts to be done up

Tomorrow will be doing all of the last minute fiddly bits and all going well, engine and gearbox will go in on Sunday.
Old 22-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #231
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Yes, I have recently bought 2 of them, one for the XC and on for the XD. I will see if I can get another one for the LTD.

Old 22-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #232
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Love the Charcoal Canister!

If only it would fit my landau I would buy one. This has connections top and bottom. Mine only has them on top :(
Yours is the older style George (pre March 1978). I have never seen an NOS one unfortunately.
Old 22-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #233
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
We had a copy of that Engine rebuild book but lost it. Trying to track down another one now. It is definitely the bible for engine rebuilds.
Well worth whatever they cost to buy and heaps easier to read than the factory manuals.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #234
maccas66

Quote:
Well worth whatever they cost to buy and heaps easier to read than the factory manuals.
what a great job you are doing Paull, where do you get those unmarked rocker covers?

Geez Louise, try this link for the manual, different cover but same author!
http://www.penguin.com.au/products/9...engines-used-f
maccas66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #235
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man, she is almost ready to turn the key! You gotta be getting excited now?
She is looking real good mate. Love the way you are keeping the original look with the engine, A/C and P/steer set ups etc.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #236
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Man, she is almost ready to turn the key! You gotta be getting excited now?
She is looking real good mate. Love the way you are keeping the original look with the engine, A/C and P/steer set ups etc.
Currently trying to fit windscreen wiper motor, not having much fun.
Old 22-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #237
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW

Fantastic!!!!
Old 22-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #238
1967xrute
BOOST is Good

cant wait to see it completed. great photos
Old 22-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #239
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've seen those at swap meets before, I'll be sure to invest in one of those next time I see one..
Old 22-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #240
Geez Louise
Awesome

Jack used that book the first time he put together his 460 BB. Went together like a dream. Really need to track down another copy.

Thanks for the brilliant updates Paull.