Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
loony888

Smile how do i bleed the cooling system?

that's the sum of it, i need to replace the top hose in my AUII 6cyl and i need to know how to bleed the system?
thanks in advance guys n girls.
paul.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fill the coolng system, leave the cap off the reservior, hold the revs on about 2k for about 5 or 10 mins will be completely bled, although with you only replacing the top hose, i doubt there will be much air trapped in the system
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Crash Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888
that's the sum of it, i need to replace the top hose in my AUII 6cyl and i need to know how to bleed the system?
thanks in advance guys n girls.
paul.
Not sure on the Falcon, as I've never checked, but I used to have a Pajero, and it had a screw type nut thing on the top of the top housing where the hose met the block. You simply unscrewed it so that the air escaped as you filled the radiator. Once full, tighten it, run the engine for a few minutes to move the air around, and then carefully loosen off the nut again to release any trapped air. Once nothing but coolant starts to come out, tighten it, and the system has now been bled.
One assumes the Falcon would have a similar setup.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
fill the coolng system, leave the cap off the reservior, hold the revs on about 2k for about 5 or 10 mins will be completely bled, although with you only replacing the top hose, i doubt there will be much air trapped in the system

Was going to say that wth a top hose replacement it probably won't need bleeding ... unless you have dumped all of your coolant and given the engine cooling system a flush out (which won't hurt if you haven't done one in a long time).

But as mentioned .. the procedure as mentioned above .... oh .... put you heater on full blast as well while doing this.

It might take a while to get to full operating temperature though ... but it will get there eventually ... if i get bored of sitting on the accelerator for that long I just partially close the bonnet and let it idle till it gets there .... and top up reservoir if necessary as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also, if your lazy you can put a 5 or 10 cent peice between the throttle linkage and the idle screw on the throttle body
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Lander
Not sure on the Falcon, as I've never checked, but I used to have a Pajero, and it had a screw type nut thing on the top of the top housing where the hose met the block. You simply unscrewed it so that the air escaped as you filled the radiator. Once full, tighten it, run the engine for a few minutes to move the air around, and then carefully loosen off the nut again to release any trapped air. Once nothing but coolant starts to come out, tighten it, and the system has now been bled.
One assumes the Falcon would have a similar setup.
Why would one assume that? While it does hold true for older falcons, it does not apply to AUs. No point posting if you don't know, especially when someone asks for specific help.

The top off the tank method is the only way to get the air out of the system.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
also, if your lazy you can put a 5 or 10 cent peice between the throttle linkage and the idle screw on the throttle body
Oooooh ... I like that ... thanks for that tip ... will keep that in mind for next time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
loony888

thanks heaps everybody, i flushed the system and replaced the coolant 5000klms ago so no need to dump the lot, i'll replace the hose, and run it up to operating temp, check the res and top up if necessary.
cheers,
paul.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
Crash Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Why would one assume that? While it does hold true for older falcons, it does not apply to AUs. No point posting if you don't know, especially when someone asks for specific help.

The top off the tank method is the only way to get the air out of the system.
Mate, take a pill will ya? Jeez! I posted because I had experience with the Pajero, and knew it held true for the older Falcons. How many times have people posted possible answers to other peoples problem, and none of them have solved the original posters problem? You gonna tell them not to post unless they know exactly how to fix it?

I've posted several problems with my AU, and so far, nobody's suggested anything that's actually made a difference. I posted a few times about my dad's Fairmont, and not one person suggested what actually turned out to be the problem. Do I have a go at them for posting an answer when the solutions they offered turned out to not help? NO! I thank them for at least trying to help.
Some people appreciate anyone at least trying to help. It's how a place becomes friendly. Ever heard of that, friend? :
Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

crash, i think maybe you need to relax, yes its true people do sometimes offer advice that is useless to the original poster, but there is no need to cause arguments over the subject, not only does it get off topic, but it puts in posts that are of no use to anyone and makes you look like a fool. besides, what is offered as advice to one person, may actually help anohter, did you ever think of that? late model cars, unless the coolant fill point is lower then the highest point of the cooling system, can be bleed in the above mentioned process. however, if the fill point is lower then the highest point of the system, there is often a bleeder valve similar to that of your braking system, as offered by crash in his first post. now we have this cleared up, be happy people....thats why our forum is so good, lots of happy helpfull people

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
loony888

well, the dealers are closed till tuesday so i'll wait till then to change this hose, bummer really, i wanted to do it today and go for a roll tonight, oh well.....
au2sw, are you saying that because the reservoir with the pressure cap is above the radiator and cyl head that that is the fill point and it will self bleed through running it?
i'm really paranoid about cooking my head, they're never the same after.