Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #31
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Endura Pricing and Specs announced from $44,990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It should have a petrol option. Even just the 2 litre ecoboost would have been sufficient. Although with the way the market is increasing in terms of sporty SUV's the ST should have been a no brainer.

But who knows if they ever developed the V6 versions for RHD. Probably not.

Europe screws us here because we share models with them and they prefer mostly diesel. We do too but we have segments of buyers who only want petrol, which they don't.
Just thinking that before, a few decades ago European style, driving dynamics, performance... etc was what mainstream Australian car buyers wanted...American products were considered inferior.
And now here in Oz dual cab utes and SUV's rule. Add the fact American passenger cars are not the "yank tanks" of old as their biggest selling models are Accords and Camry's and add the enormous sales of large pick-ups..and we are more closely aligned with US buyers in driving tastes then ever before....if we had US priced fuel and drove on the RHS we would have very similar buyer demographics right now.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

We're only one fuel price shock away from showing just how different our market reality is yo that of the USA.
If our dollar softens any further oil prices will jump and our mostly imported petrol and diesel will jump higher.

While we would love to see Ecoboost versions of our favorite Fords, the reality is that higher fuel prices
makes them a risky prospect to get over the line, the diesel stuff is too easy, almost off the shelf for us.
The reason more models are not through developed to RHD is that the bigger UK market just doesn't
want a bar of them and our small market plus the other RHDs can't prove a business plan.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-10-2018 at 10:40 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Looking at the specs for this car, I'm thinking perhaps its not an accident that they've waited over 2years since Territory ended before bringing this in, to try to distance people from making the comparison. It really is no comparison to the Territory sadly. Even the old 2.7 diesel in the territory has more power and torque.

This looks to be targeting those who buy an SUV as a city car, rather than those who bought the territory as a tow car.

Be interesting to know if even the FWD model gets the 2T tow rating, and if it gets 10% tow ball download limit (200kg). This may give it a slight edge over rivals like Santa Fe/Sorrento etc.

I don't think the 5 seat only spec will hurt too much. most people that 'need' 7 seats buy cars more suited to full time 7 seat carrying, like larger 4wd's or vans.

Being a Ford, it will no doubt have quite good driving dynamics. If it has a decent kit then it should still compare reasonable well with its competition.

Better to view it as a new car rather than a territory replacement. a car for a different purpose. although I tow with my Territory, its only a campervan around 1400kg so this car would still suit. The engine might be a bit on the light side, but the 8 speed should compensate for that somewhat.

Ford are my 'footy team' so to speak, and I normally defend them in most things they do, but this car has even me scratching my head with its spec level.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #34
kenj

I'm in the sole minority here and say that things will never be the same as they were, yes no petrol variant but I am waiting to drive one and am pretty sure it will be my next Ford.

I've had a few over the years, XP Station Wagon, XA GS 302 Ute, XC GS Panel Van, XD Sedan, XE Sedan, EA Sedan, AU Sedan, BA XR6, BA F6 Typhoon, FG Super Pursuit Ute, MA Mondeo and a Kuga Titanium. All different but I loved something about all of them, even the AU .

I'll move with the times, I'll stick true to my brand and I'll find something in the Blue Oval line up that suits my needs, a petrol engined Endura would not be any more fit for my purpose than a diesel so I'll be one of the mugs (by looks of things) that will front my cash at a disinterested dealership and drive out yet again a happy customer.

Ken
kenj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #35
spvd02

Is this engine a bi-turbo?
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not with those power figures. but I think the UK model get both to choose from.

From the UK Ford website:
An advanced 2.0 TDCi engine gives you two power options: 180PS and 210PS Bi-Turbo. Both variants incorporate the latest technology to maximise performance, torque and economy, whilst lowering emissions.

180PS. 400Nm of torque. From 5.8 l/100km (48.7mpg), CO2 149g/km.
210PS. 450Nm of torque. From 5.8 l/100km (48.7mpg), CO2 149g/km.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The biggest head scratcher isn't the lack of petrol, but rather the lack of the highest power diesel.

Baffling.

Should have been standard on Titanium and ST line.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sounds like we get the old diesel same as the Mondeo has?

Shame we dont get the Bi Turbo, I do not get this?

I only bought the Mondeo for the Mrs as it was cheap and fully loaded with tech and safety. Shes not into SUV's so the only cars I looked at were the new ZB Calais V and Mondeo Titanium (Mondeo won on price).
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #39
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The irony is the 2.0 tonne Transit has been announced with upgrades that include a 185hp (~138kW) version of the Ecoblue diesel and by 2020 it will get the 10 speed auto for RWD models.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think... the Endura has the older Durtorqe engine, where as Ranger Everest & Transit get the Ecoblue.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

possible competition for the Endura...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...ec091d1e54a034

the cx8 is a 7 seat, so if someone needs 7 seats, obviously they won't be cross shopping with the Endura, but it highlights that pricing has moved on from the territory era.

also of note is the mazda 2.2L twin turbo diesel only has 140kw. torque is 450Nm, which if you aren't in the habit of lugging loads around isn't going to be all that noticeable compared to the 400Nm of the Endura.

Possibly the need to develop these engines to comply with ever increasing emission targets is making it harder to get the power from smaller capacity? Fuel efficiency is probably the bigger priority in this market, rather than performance.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Not at all. Everest is a totally different vehicle being a full chassis off roader, and can tow considerably more.

Escape is much cheaper and smaller. Probably not a lot of crossover in terms of size and price.
actually, looking back, I think there may be something in what kevino said. If Endura was released with a better engine and 7 seat capacity, there is a real chance that it would steal some of the more lucrative Everest sales. Perhaps limiting the options to 5 seat only, and one engine option, is in part to protect the other two segments they are already competing in.

People cross shop all sorts of vehicles these days, and the fact that a car is categorised as MC class, doesn't mean people won't buy it for general duties. Look how many LC's are bought only as family cars. Plenty of Everests will never go off road.

Everest is starting to consistently sell 450+ each month. I doubt ford would want to eat in to that in any way with a lesser value vehicle.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #43
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will be interesting to see if NZ continues to get the Bi Turbo ST-Line that we currently have, be a big backwards step if we don't.

I cant fathom why people compare them to large suv's like Santa Fe, Sorrento and CX9, they are definitely not large.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
I cant fathom why people compare them to large suv's like Santa Fe, Sorrento and CX9, they are definitely not large.
kluger, santa fe, sorrento etc are all Territory size, so I guess one would assume they would be competition for Endura also.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #45
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
kluger, santa fe, sorrento etc are all Territory size, so I guess one would assume they would be competition for Endura also.
Endura doesn't look as big as a Terri though, to me it looks like a Outlander/CX8 rival, even Ford calls it a mid sized suv.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
I think... the Endura has the older Durtorqe engine, where as Ranger Everest & Transit get the Ecoblue.
No all the diesels are ecoblue, but one is single turbo, the other the bi-turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
actually, looking back, I think there may be something in what kevino said. If Endura was released with a better engine and 7 seat capacity, there is a real chance that it would steal some of the more lucrative Everest sales. Perhaps limiting the options to 5 seat only, and one engine option, is in part to protect the other two segments they are already competing in.

People cross shop all sorts of vehicles these days, and the fact that a car is categorised as MC class, doesn't mean people won't buy it for general duties. Look how many LC's are bought only as family cars. Plenty of Everests will never go off road.

Everest is starting to consistently sell 450+ each month. I doubt ford would want to eat in to that in any way with a lesser value vehicle.
The only 7 seater version is built in China. We had no choice, it was 5 seat or nothing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #47
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

There is no point protecting your own "garage" of vehicles from cannibalizing each other if the buyer goes to another brand altogether. IMHO, Better to overlap your range then have no sale at all.

And while I'm at it, if Ford Aust. are going to market this product as premium, and offer an ST-Line when not able to offer a proper ST why not put the twin-turbo version built in the same Canadian factory for the EU into the Australian version.

I cannot wait to hear the Ford staff explain that one when questioned by all the press in the next few months when it's time to test drive them....or are they going to say the twin-turbo is only for LHD Euro markets?
And my gripe isn't about having a version that gives me pub bragging rights, (I had that once with the G6ET) I just want something offered that makes me want to buy it.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 09-10-2018 at 04:43 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A nice alternative might be a Ford authorised power up flash with say 150 Kw and 440 nm.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post