Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club

ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club The one and only place for the ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club members Forums

Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Default ORSM Tasmainia Road Trip (2008)

hey All

There has been some talk of a Tasmaina road trip around the orsm meetings and also a bit in depth yesterday at the cruise yesterday, so i have decided to start up a thread so we can get some idea on what we can do as I and many others wold love to do this trip, Its going to take a lot of planing and preperation to get it to happen.

A time frame for this cruise would be put say in 6 months time so all memebers have to chance to orgainise around work and generally prepare to join.

The idea would be do do a lap of tassie, so to allow us enough time it would take a week, We would be going across on the boat and starting in launceston, working our way down to Hobart and back agian. all the finer details would be worked out later.

Costs etc will depend on how many night what accomidation we will be using etc.

Post up you thought and intrests in this, We may be able to gather some more sponsorship for this also.

Tristan

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep thouught about this last year Tristan, I actually went to devenport last year to check out some stuff . Plenty of good drives in tassy so yes we would need a week . A member of our club Dave who is currently based in Hong Kong mum and dad live in tassy and we could stay there we would need to contact dave and see if this still available. Its a great concept and a number of club members are interested. People would need to start saving the money needed but gee it would be worth it
ORSM-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I'd be very interested. I may even tie it in with a business trip and either fly over or back, and someone else can drive my car for one of the legs of the trip. No matter what, I'm in.

Cheers
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I would be in for this cruise. The roads down Tasmania's west coast are some of the best I have driven.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Well i have spent most of today checking out prices accomodation etc,

A few factors that will greatly reduce cost is, numbers if we can get 12+ people idealy if we can get 10+ cars and 20 ish people it would really be benificial to all of us,

I have roughly worked out a round trip of tassie would be 7 days, and 1300km of driving broken up over these days with 2 nights spent in hobart and 2 nights in launceston. It give us a chance to visit the cadbury factory, car museums, port arthur etc etc.

The most expencive part is the trip over and back, but as i say if we can get numbers we can get it cheaper.

I have put together a sperad sheet of costs and destinations that i will bring to the next meeting and put it forward to all members,

Also if we could get sponsorship for a trip like this it would be great it might help to off set some of the costs in food as we can have group BBq's, a thought of a sponsor may be CAR-BRA as all of us will probly have one on each car great addvertising for them.

Tristan

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
MR_LON
ORSMT5

i'm interested but depends on when it will happen, early parts of next year will be getting things ready for Gelong AFD, 17th Feb & SA AFD, 9th mar, somewhere around easter would be reasonable as most people have time off work then for 4 days but it's only 2 weeks after Adelaide so may be a bit close.
Anzac day is on a friday so maybe try to incorporate that
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

If you want to be cheap as possible Easter will not work as prices and availablity are through the roof.

l organised a 3 day cruise a few years ago which we did 3,000 klm from Dandenong up through the Great Alpine Hwy and back along the coast to Melbourne, so in saying you only going 1300klm's would do it easy in 7 days.

l would try and plan it around late July early August as you get your Tax back and no school holidays.....
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
If you want to be cheap as possible Easter will not work as prices and availablity are through the roof.

l organised a 3 day cruise a few years ago which we did 3,000 klm from Dandenong up through the Great Alpine Hwy and back along the coast to Melbourne, so in saying you only going 1300klm's would do it easy in 7 days.

l would try and plan it around late July early August as you get your Tax back and no school holidays.....

yeah most definatly avoid school holidays, the idea for the road trip would allow us to have a nice cruisy time. i think july august would be a geat time to go as the Orion will be out by then and i know a certain member who is waiting to get his hands on one.

Ive been looking into costs, most places cabin's at caravan parks sleep 4 people and will allow us to share the cost a bit. most places are 80-90 per night twin share, i averaged the trip to be $750 per adult including, boat there and back (including car) accomodation for 7 nights, fuel for 1300 aprox km. This however will become cheaper if we get enough member involved.

Tristan

Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
ORSMEB
Steve

I Am In.

FOR SURE!!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
XXRR-50
Formerly ORSMT-2

I'm very interested, it would be great to do it. I too reckon we should avoid public holidays as it will be cheaper. Also some people, like me, work on those days. As long as I know say 1-2 months upfront, I can take a week or two off work. Should we start a list of people who are interested?

1. TOPGIA

Previous cars:
'03 BA G220 Fairlane
'00 T2 TE50 #063(ORSMT-2)
'96 EFII Fairmont Ghia 5l V8(TOPGIA#2)
'03 BA Fairmont Ghia I6(TOPGIA#1)
'94 ED XR6(TKFRD-6)
'93 EB S-XR6

FOR SALE: ORSMT-2 NUMBER PLATES
XXRR-50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

People that are interested, place your name down on the list.

1. TOPGIA
2. BLKPHN
3. ORSMEB
4. GTGTP
5. ORSMFC
6. ORSM8
7. ORSMT5

Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #12
ORSMF6
ORSM Ford Cruisers

People that are interested, place your name down on the list.

1. TOPGIA
2. BLKPHN
3. ORSMEB
4. GTGTP
5. ORSMFC
6. ORSM8
7. ORSMT5
8. ORSMF6

Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSMF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #13
Steve
torque is your friend

1. TOPGIA
2. BLKPHN
3. ORSMEB
4. GTGTP
5. ORSMFC
6. ORSM8
7. ORSMT5
8. ORSMF6
9. Steve
Old 08-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
aUteChick
*GriD GirL*

How Cool. Tassie is the place for it

I live in Tas at bridgenorth, where they have the Targa Tas. :

Cadbury is definitely worth visiting
Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
Steve
torque is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aUteChick
How Cool. Tassie is the place for it

I live in Tas at bridgenorth, where they have the Targa Tas. :

Cadbury is definitely worth visiting
Tassie rocks. I might end up living there one day.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Do we have a map of Tassie ???
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Do we have a map of Tassie ???
Several..Ill even show ya round if your into that...........

Anyway, if I am still here Ill meet up with you guys!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #18
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I been to tassie and it very gets cold especially from may to september. What about camping part of the way. Would be great near the franklin, hence the time of year. Put me down. GT0280
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #19
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Craig, The map of tasmania is shaped like mmm they call it the tassy medal.
ORSM-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I think Sept or October would be good time for a cruise down there, just at end of winter coming into Spring. Not too long after tax so deposits etc can be firmly placed and good start to bonnet up season.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
TadKa
Wait? What?

G'day guys. I'm in Tas. If I was you I wouldn't spend 4 nights in Hobart and Launceston. I would come down the east coast spending time in St Helens, Camp at Coles Bay (Freycinet), then through Bicheno and down to Tasman Peninsula (Port Arthur) onto Hobart for the night. Then Up the West Coast through Strahan and up to Stanley etc. Don't Bother about the Midlands Not much to see. I'll tell you some fun places to go when your planning gets closer. I love taking the Falcon for a drive around Tas. We hopped in the car the other day and went to Gordon Dam which is awesome but a bit out of the way from anything.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

1. TOPGIA
2. BLKPHN
3. ORSMEB
4. GTGTP
5. ORSMFC
6. ORSM8
7. ORSMT5
8. ORSMF6
9. Steve
10.GT0280
11.EL-351
Old 08-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #23
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Why not school holidays?? u want more members to come to make things cheaper, we do have partners & kids who are members 2, that would like to come
Some places get more expensive around holiday time, but if booked early enough, things may not be so bad price wise
RED FGII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #24
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFC~EL
Why not school holidays?? u want more members to come to make things cheaper, we do have partners & kids who are members 2, that would like to come
Some places get more expensive around holiday time, but if booked early enough, things may not be so bad price wise

Trying to aviod school holidays will allow the price to be decresed, we are planning this way way ahead in time so people can get a chance to work around this and get time off, evan if we book early the costs on holidays are more,

Quote:
G'day guys. I'm in Tas. If I was you I wouldn't spend 4 nights in Hobart and Launceston. I would come down the east coast spending time in St Helens, Camp at Coles Bay (Freycinet), then through Bicheno and down to Tasman Peninsula (Port Arthur) onto Hobart for the night. Then Up the West Coast through Strahan and up to Stanley etc. Don't Bother about the Midlands Not much to see. I'll tell you some fun places to go when your planning gets closer. I love taking the Falcon for a drive around Tas. We hopped in the car the other day and went to Gordon Dam which is awesome but a bit out of the way from anything.
What i looked in to doing was spending 1 night in strahan, then to hobart 2 nights, up to Bicheneo 1 night and across to Launceston 2 nights. what would you suggest we do?? any help is greatly appreciated

tristan

Old 08-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #25
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

yep of corse it will

1. TOPGIA
2. BLKPHN
3. ORSMEB
4. GTGTP
5. ORSMFC
6. ORSM8
7. ORSMT5
8. ORSMF6
9. Steve
10.GT0280

Old 08-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #26
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Yeah l would avoid camping cause it sucks just for one night and 2 nights in Hobart would be very boring as everything is closed by 8pm and l mean everything.
Hey Tristan l think fuel will cost alot more as you have to include a heavy foot at times and hills and corners as it's not just highway klm.....On my cruise it cost me $780 in fuel as you only but premuim to avoid pinging in high altitude.

Cheers Chris....

P.S Just ask Steve how much fun we had and the $$$$$ spent....
Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #27
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

[QUOTE=BLKPHN]Trying to aviod school holidays will allow the price to be decresed, we are planning this way way ahead in time so people can get a chance to work around this and get time off, evan if we book early the costs on holidays are more,

the point I was trying to make was that even with time to organise holidays or time off from work I would have to take my son out of school if me and my family wanted to attend.
RED FGII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #28
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Yeah l would avoid camping cause it sucks just for one night and 2 nights in Hobart would be very boring as everything is closed by 8pm and l mean everything.
Hey Tristan l think fuel will cost alot more as you have to include a heavy foot at times and hills and corners as it's not just highway klm.....On my cruise it cost me $780 in fuel as you only but premuim to avoid pinging in high altitude.

Cheers Chris....

P.S Just ask Steve how much fun we had and the $$$$$ spent....

Hey chris yeah i factored an average fuel of 19ltrs/100km over the 1300 km which should average out hwy and hill and yes there are lots. The more info we can coupe up the better prepared we will be for such a trip. Cheers mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFC-EL
the point I was trying to make was that even with time to organise holidays or time off from work I would have to take my son out of school if me and my family wanted to attend.
Hey Tony yeah mate I understand, However it's not going to hurt to take you son out of school for a holiday, Both my parents are techers and i have been on holidays outside of school holiday times, Things can be organised around schooling talk with his teacher im sure they will be more than happy to help out, Not to mention your son getting a week school free. Im not trying to tell you what to do just a sugestion.

Tristan

Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #29
TadKa
Wait? What?

Don't forget guys Our school holidays are different from yours. we only have three school terms so you might be able to bring your kids but still avoid having our tassie brats cluttering up the place
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #30
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Just a thought,
I noticed that PERFORMANCE FORD magazine is a sponsor here on AFF I was thinking if we could put it to them, That we as a club are doing a Road trip Around Tassie with 10+ modifyed late model fords and see if they would want to do an article about us or evan join us, would be a different read and it also supports us and AFF.
What do you think??

Last edited by BLKPHN; 09-11-2007 at 05:41 PM.