Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 18-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
MYLO_XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Calder park dragway?

Hey all, i couldnt find a thread about this but im sure theres afew people curious (including myslef) as whether there is any news on the Calder Park dragway...will we see it open again? Are there any future development plans for that area? Whats Bob Jane doing?

Also there are afew rumours that a totally new drag strip will open on the melbourne northern suburbs, any news or goss on that?

Old 18-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Re: Calder park dragway?

From the Calder Park FB page on the 6th of June:

Quote:
DRAG RACING UPDATE:
We are working closely with ANDRA to return drag racing to Calder Park. The ANDRA full season calendar will be released shortly.
Bob isn't running it anymore, his son is.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Victorian drag racing association is holding a meeting on Tuesday night in Deer Park, its expected that an endorsement will be made to commence drag racing under the ANDRA banner to race at Calder Park, with a track test in September and a ANRDA meet in October.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

Would be great.
But i hope they can run test and tunes like they did in the past without an ANDRA tech on your car..
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts View Post
Would be great.
But i hope they can run test and tunes like they did in the past without an ANDRA tech on your car..
great to hear racing will be back on in VIC.

i doubt they will do it anymore, once it's an ANDRA track, they need to abide by ANDRA rules.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
f6 boss

What is andra tech?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

ANDRA Drag Racing returns to Calder Park Raceway

It's official – ANDRA Championship Drag Racing is returning to Calder Park Raceway.

In front of a packed house of Victorian ANDRA club members, CEO Malcolm Bulley delivered the news that all racers and fans were hoping to hear, drag racing is back in Melbourne, the sporting capital of Australia.

The first major event will be held on Saturday the 19th of October 2013, featuring ANDRA Championship rounds for Top Fuel, Top Bike and Pro Stock Motorcycle. This will be a 1 day event and entry numbers in the sportsman classes will be capped to make sure the event runs smoothly. Sunday the 20th is scheduled as a rain date.

1 to 2 test and tunes will be scheduled before the October 19 event and a number street meets are being organised.

"Racer participation, operational integrity and presentation quality are all key factors in the path to success," said Malcolm Bulley. "It's been 12 years since ANDRA Drag Racing has been held in Melbourne and it's vitally important that we reconnect with racers and fans in a professional and positive manner."

The previous management of Calder Park has often been criticised on how drag racing events had been run. According to Malcolm Bulley, "The only similarity between the previous management and the new management is the track, everything else will change. ANDRA is bringing in best practice and the best people to ensure drag racing's return to Melbourne is a success for all the key stakeholders – spectators, the track, ANDRA, racers and sponsors."

While Malcolm Bulley didn't elaborate on who would be promoting and managing the events, he did indicate that ANDRA had formed a joint venture with a number of parties and would be playing a more active role in the running of events at Calder Park Raceway.

As a priority, safety aspects have also been addressed so that the venue meets ANDRA's requirements. "We have access to all the concrete barriers we need and work is being done to repair the return road, "said Malcolm Bulley.

”Racing will be conducted over whichever is the safest distance for competitors, whether that is quarter mile, thousand foot or eighth mile."

Looking forward, after the completion of the October event, a national open style event has been pencilled in for early December.

The 2014 racing calendar is being finalised and will include, as a minimum, regular street meets, 2 national championship events, the Victorian State Championships and a major event towards the end of the year.

"It's vitally important that drag racing in Melbourne is seen as a going concern, a vibrant and active sport supported by the racers and fans," said Malcolm Bulley.

"Calder Park is not an indefinite home for drag racing in Melbourne. We must demonstrate through participation and stability that drag racing requires a purpose built world class facility."

With drag racing's return to Melbourne not far away, it's time for racers to get busy and fans to get excited.

http://andra.com.au/latest-news/andr...k-raceway.html

This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Cuyper

The place was like going to Disneyland in the mid 90s. Tens of thousands of spectators and a show you would never forget. I hope they can get some of that magic back.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyper View Post
I hope they can get some of that magic back.
I hope we haven't lost a whole generation to the sport, the absence of ANDRA in Victoria for so long means many will see top fuel for the first time live in a few months.
I still have my 1996 drag racing nationals sticker on my wheelie bin, keeps me remind of those awesome nitro 90's.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

It will only work if it's a fairdinkum 1/4 mile (NOT 1/8th or 1000ft)
And, somehow I just can't see ANDRA approving the full 1/4 for nitro at Calder?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good to see. I missed out on ever seeing the top fuelers and the other big bangers run and i'd love to be able to go see them to experience it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
It will only work if it's a fairdinkum 1/4 mile (NOT 1/8th or 1000ft)
And, somehow I just can't see ANDRA approving the full 1/4 for nitro at Calder?
I prefer 1/4 mile but 1000 foot maybe the only way it will work at Calder unless they extend the run-off.
1000 foot works in the States, et:3.7# its a safety issue tracks don't have enough run off area because the cars have become to quick.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
f6 boss

So do test and tunes type event will it still be 1/4 mile?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Cuyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
I hope we haven't lost a whole generation to the sport, the absence of ANDRA in Victoria for so long means many will see top fuel for the first time live in a few months.
I still have my 1996 drag racing nationals sticker on my wheelie bin, keeps me remind of those awesome nitro 90's.
I was there once, it was 42 or 43c in the daytime, people were being taken away in ambulances for heat exhaustion. There were tons of 9 and 10 second, monaros and chargers but man, once you feel a top fuel car in action and its about being hammered in the chest by each cylinder firing.. Well those 9 second monaros start to look mighty slow. Later in the night I sat at the right hand lanes finishing line and holy crap that's a serious terminal speed when they go past over the line. You never forget it, thec new generation of console playing unexcitable kids would love it if you get them some ear protection. Some blokes car fully exploded over the line and the whole crowd went silent.... Then they put the flames out and the crowd saw him get out safely and thousands of people screamed YEEEEEAAH!!!!!!!!! All at once, I tell you it was epic.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I remember mid/late 70's Calder was 1000ft, where Castlereagh, Willowbank, Ravenswood, etc were all 1/4mile.. And all us Victorians busy using numerous formulas like multiplying by 1.2 to convert our times.
It just wasn't the same!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
icer
Winning's Winning!

unless its 1/4 it wont be the same. I know people remenising about the 80s and 90s where calder was FULL of spectators all roaring... 20-30000 of them! Would be a regular spectator if not racing. Cant go wrong!

Just need to speed up cleanups etc. to make the flow of cars quicker as there is always so many cars racing at calder with 1-2 hours per run.

Build a roof over calder, like etihad stadium...that would be pro! Ill donate 10$ to the cause

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
I prefer 1/4 mile but 1000 foot maybe the only way it will work at Calder unless they extend the run-off.
1000 foot works in the States, et:3.7# its a safety issue tracks don't have enough run off area because the cars have become to quick.
Maybe they could seal Tommy Easton drive ?