Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Ken_AUXR8

Default Clutch replacement on WQ

Hi Folks

Lately our little Fiesta has a developed a short 'squeak' when you lift off the clutch after changing gear. It's worse when cold. At 130,000km's I expect that it's a bit of slip with the clutch plate getting worn.

I haven't changed a clutch in a front driver for 15 odd years, and I remember it as a fairly simple task, but that was on a 90's Pulsar. But looking through the WQ workshop manual, there's mention of 'special tools' etc, clutch aligners and so forth..

Has anyone here replaced the clutch themselves, how difficult is it? Can anyone tell me if I truly need these special tools? Or can I get away with common sense and elbow grease?

Cheers
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Ken_AUXR8

Default Re: Clutch replacement on WQ

Nobody's had a crack at doing this themselves? :(
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Pursya

http://www.fordxr4.com/media/PDF/XR4ManualMASTER1.pdf

1226 pages.
I'm not going to trawl through it but you may find some info in it.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Ken_AUXR8

Appreciate the response mate, but I've read through the manual as I said. Am just looking for some real life experience from someone who has done it already.

Might just have to have a go.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Pursya

Looks like your the pioneer.
Good luck. And don't forget to document it for future users.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #6
DDevine
Starter Motor

I am thinking I might be having some clutch slipping, so if you get this done I'd be interesting in hearing how it goes. Same problem as you - I really need somebody with some experience to help out.

A clutch alignment tool is just a thing that keeps the clutch plate centred while you put everything back together. $35 from Super Cheap apparently.
DDevine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
Ken_AUXR8

I've put this on hold for a bit, since the squeak comes and goes. I'll wait for it to get worse so I can confirm what it is. Some days its not there at all. Clutch doesn't smell in any case.

I'll definitely give it a go when it's time.

Cheers for the tip on the tool.
Old 17-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
DDevine
Starter Motor

I just remembered that I saw a video where somebody used a socket that was the right size to fit the clutch plate spline hole - and then a socket extender plugged into that to give it a handle to work with...
So if you already have a socket set you probably already have a makeshift clutch alignment tool!
DDevine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Ken_AUXR8

Right, well I have successfully replaced the clutch in this car. I did this almost completely by myself, save for refitting the gearbox up onto the spline, which is a two person job. The box is difficult to manoeuvre around the suspension lower arm, and it took a lot of wriggling and lifting to do.

I did not take enough photos or document every step for a how to, otherwise this post would be about 20 pages long, but I thought I'll post up a bit here to help provide a bit of guidance for others.

I followed the Ford Workshop manual which is downloadable, just google it.
It's mostly correct, and no, I didn't require any special tools, which were mainly used to support the engine and gearbox and would make life easier. A couple of jacks did it for me. I did fork out for a clutch alignment tool $35 from Supercheap, but you could probably do without it.

There was also a wide variety in pricing for this clutch kit - shop around! I bought it without the slave cylinder.

In short - if you follow the manual you'll do OK. Most of the bolts come off relatively easily, the worst is the ones for the cable brackets under the coil pack. I didn't bother undoing the exhaust/cat bolts. Probably safer to do this but I had no trouble leaving it connected.

Deep socket set is highly recommended. Buy some gearbox oil too, you will lose some. The old stuff was black, and it took about 1.5 litres. The manual doesn't show you where the filler hole is it's under the linkage cable cover in the photo below (The black bolt with the hex socket).

These came apart pretty easy, just undo the retaining bolt and lever down the lower arm with a screwdriver:

I didn't get the flywheel machined as it felt dead smooth and looked in good condition. Since the car has only just started having signs of a worn clutch (slip on clutch release) there wasn't any damage. I didn't 'rough it up' with any sandpaper or anything, just gave it a clean with brake cleaner. There's no shudder or problem driving with the new clutch:

Worn clutch:

Bleeding the clutch was fun too, there's no mention in the manual really on how to do this. I used a standard 6mm hose and container. You have to take off the little rubber plug on the bleeder nipple, then rotate the white plastic plug anticlockwise to open the nipple. No tools required, no nut. Then have someone pump the pedal, and twist to lock it off. Apparently it's self venting, so if there are any air bubbles these will clear in normal driving. It did not affect the brakes at all.

So, it can be done without special Ford tools, just hard yakka. Either it used to be easier on older vehicles, or maybe my memory has blanked out the bad bits from years ago! At least on the old cars then was way less wiring looms and stuff in the way to make things hard to get to.

It's not a job I'd want to do again in a hurry and not for the feint-hearted, but it wasn't too bad if you're reasonably mechanically minded. Two people should knock it over in a couple of days though.

Take photos, and keep the bolts together for each part. There's a lot of them.

Hope this helps someone.

Ken
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
Ken_AUXR8

Just an update, clutch has started slipping. It's only been in for 2 years, although my daughter had been learning to drive in it, so it has taken some more than usual punishment.

My regret is not getting the flywheel machined, and I probably should have replaced the slave cylinder at the same time.

Couldn't be bothered / too busy anyway to rip it apart again. Going to mechanic next week to get done.

Ken