Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Budget Direct

Renewal time, and my existing insurer has increased the premiums significantly. Budget Direct via Iselect has come up with some very good premiums.

But I have a feeling in my waters that they have a crappy reputation on claims handling, but I cant find any details.

Any experience.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Default Re: Budget Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Renewal time, and my existing insurer has increased the premiums significantly. Budget Direct via Iselect has come up with some very good premiums.

But I have a feeling in my waters that they have a crappy reputation on claims handling, but I cant find any details.

Any experience.
My wife used to work for them... run away....

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Run away from YOUi. too. my daughter wrote her car off, Police cleared her of all fault. YOUi refused to insure her new car.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's like medical insurance, would you shop around for the cheapest premium
knowing that the day you really need them, they abandon you...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

They used to be cheap when they started. Not so much now.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

So hawke tell us the benefits of Budget Direct other than being cheap?

Do they have choice of any repairer?
Do they have same excess for undisclosed drivers?
Is it a named driver policy and other drivers are not insured?
Do you have a Rating or No Claim Bonus and if so is it protected.
Do they insure your car if you fuel contanimation?
Do you have under 25 year old drivers and if you do will they be insured to drive your vehicle?
Do you have windscreen / glass protection?
Do they cancel your policy in the event of a claim and you haven't disclosed every accident and speeding fine in last 5 years?
Do they give you a free hire car for 14 days if your car is stolen?
Can you call them and talk to them with ease to discuss your policy or a claim?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
So hawke tell us the benefits of Budget Direct other than being cheap?

Do they have choice of any repairer?
Do they have same excess for undisclosed drivers?
Is it a named driver policy and other drivers are not insured?
Do you have a Rating or No Claim Bonus and if so is it protected.
Do they insure your car if you fuel contanimation?
Do you have under 25 year old drivers and if you do will they be insured to drive your vehicle?
Do you have windscreen / glass protection?
Do they cancel your policy in the event of a claim and you haven't disclosed every accident and speeding fine in last 5 years?
Do they give you a free hire car for 14 days if your car is stolen?
Can you call them and talk to them with ease to discuss your policy or a claim?
Brettos wife here.
Allow me advise after working for them for 7 yrs in claims/ total loss

Yes choice of repair, but if not theirs no guarantees on reps
Yes excess on undisclosed driver & can deny claim
If a driver would be covered on a policy of their own then will be covered
You pay extra to protect rating
They will go out of their way to deny fuel contamination
Under 25 covered if driving history ok, once again beware as they like to decline
You pay extra for glass cover
Yes will cancel & deny claim for undisclosed information
You pay extra for hire car to be added to policy
You can hold forever to talk to them & talking about a claim will turn into a nightmare unless you get experienced operator.

Overall I would avoid, they care about their bottom dollar, not customers or even their staff. After a full nervous breakdown they offered no help, just gave me more work. Not a pleasant company at all

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Any experience.
Do a quote online for your current insurer. If it's cheaper ring them and you should be able to get your premium reduced. I did this recently.

Unfortunately being loyal to a company means you pay more.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

We have the wife’s Mazda 3 insured with Budget Direct.

Two years ago she was rear ended, Budget Direct were adequate. Their repairer took 10 days to paint a bumper but got a fair match to the Mazda velocity Red.

Last year she was rear ended again, hard hit pushed her into the car in front her car was written off.

We were promptly paid out market value. Market value was determined by the assessor finding a similar car on carsale.com.

After being involved in 2 accidents our premium doubled despite not being at fault, life time rating 1 etc. I believe this is standard practice with all insurance companies.

We have found Budget Direct adequate...
Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Any experience.

Had to claim twice through them, once for car, us at fault and once for a house burglary. Both times there was never an issue, car fixed, house stuff replaced. Both in last 5 years. I also use Coles for another car and although I have had a claim through them they are very hard to deal with in regards to returning calls but if all is going smoothly no issues.
After saying that I had to end my wifes policy with them because they do not allow someone else to drive your car at all full stop. My daughter is 30 with only 1 infringement ever and no accidents. If she was to take my wifes car just down to the shops if hers was out of action or something she is not covered at all. Coles allows a casual or once off driver, even on my XR6T. Wifes car 2004 BMW.

Last edited by deesun; 04-10-2018 at 12:17 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2018, 01:35 AM   #11
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got my renewal with RACV. Now you have to pay extra for choice of repairer.

A mate was insured with one of the supermarket insurance companies.
Car was parked at a local strip shopping centre, a large branch from a council tree fell on the car and caused significant damage.
A Fire station is near where the incident happened the Fireys heard the noise, came outside took photos and removed the branch.
The Station Commander wrote up a report stating this was third incident in recent times caused by this tree and gave him the report with the photos.
The Insurance company approached the Council, Council denied anything was wrong with the tree. Insurance company refused to fight the Council and he ended having to pay the excess.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many thanks for all who responded.

The cars involved are Porsche 987, Mercedes B200 Turbo, Ford Ranger and Ford Fiesta.

Allianz invited renewal at $5000. On line quotes from GIO - $4100, NRMA - $4400. Got one price from Shannons - where I have a policy for some other cars - they wanted $7,500.

Budget Direct - $2,600, with similar excesses, and coverage. It's a compelling price.

Just as an aside, Shannons charge $730 for a Lotus Europa, and a Formula Ford race car, including race cover. I struggle in working out insurance pricing.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have around 8 policies all with NRMA.
I highly recommend NRMA and of the claims I’ve made over the years I’ve never had an issue, never once did they try avoid paying out or denying fault. My falcon was a write off and they paid out well over market value.

Having 8 or so policies, plus years of loyalty means I get some good discounts. I still shop around on every policy renewal and it’s never cheaper anywhere else. However, I don’t quote at dodgy budget insurers like YOUI or budget direct.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Avoid at all costs. Tried to screw me out of a claim that wasn't even my fault.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Interesting experiences being recounted here.

I used to be with my state motoring association, but after they told me to go somewhere else if I was unhappy about their determination as to whether a house related claim was valid or not, I went to Budget Direct.

I've had two claims through them. The first was a not at fault claim and the second was an 'at fault' claim (hit a hare which did some moderate damage). In both instances I chose my local repairer, and the claim process was extremely easy and efficient.

A couple of years after i took out policies with them, I sought advice form a brokerage service. The broker asked who I was with. When I told them BD, they asked if I was happy with the service they provided. i answered 'yes'. She then said that there was little point in her getting quotes for me from any of her suppliers as they would not be able to compete with BD. She also stated that any clients of hers looking at moving away from BD did so because of the perceived lack of service rather than cost.

Based on my experiences, I would recommend BD and not my state's motoring association, both on price and service.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Godzilla73

Avoid them, claims process is pathetic and insulting. I was called a liar and then a smug so and so to my face after an inspection on a hail damaged car. Told me I was lying about damage then got stroppy when I produced video and photos... then accused me of I'm not sure what but they disputed the low k's on a 13 year old car.

Then to top it all off, put my premium up because it was an at fault claim and none of the other mobs do.

Avoid, not worth the price of admission...
Godzilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #17
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

There’s one thing we all need to understand. Insurance companies are there to make money like every other company. Their not your friend and they don’t share your passion. They will play on your knowledge and use terms most don’t understand. I’ve been in the panel industry most of my life, my wife has worked in the insurance industry most of hers. Before I met my wife I had a not at fault claim with RACV over 25 years ago. It pushed me to the edge to the fact that I found where the person was I spoke to and threatened to come down to the Footscray branch and drag him over the counter. I don’t recommend doing this, it will end up bad now days.
My point is don’t take no for an answer. They will try all the tricks in the book to get out of paying a claim. Do your home work, look at the fine print and make your own judgement. Don’t take no for an answer.
I had a horrific not at fault claim through Shannon’s regarding my XB GT. I went through 3 assessor’s and two repairers, the first being their own preferred repairer. I explained to the assessor and owner of the panel shop I was a panel beater and would go over the repair with a fine tooth comb. I’ll leave it at that.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I was with them for a good number of years. I made 3 claims with them. 2 not at fault rear enders, and one kangaroo hit. All with my BF MkII Fairmont Ghia.

All 3 claims were flawless. I was thoroughly impressed with them. I simply could not fault them at all. They called me several times throughout the process to keep me informed of where things were up to, to ensure I was happy with the progress etc. They moved things along quickly. I was impressed with the entire process.

When people tell you to "run away" or "they're budget for a reason", they are simply on the bandwagon without knowing what they're talking about, or have just been unlucky.

I guess I got lucky on 3 seperate occasions, across multiple years then.

Only reason I changed is when I got the G6ET, I got a much cheaper quote with Progressive, so I moved to them. otherwsie I would have stayed with BD.

Progressive (now PD) were the best by a LONG way for me, give them a try with a quote. Agreed value, lowest premiums, lowest excess, best of everything basically. And cheaper by several hundred dollars.

And I know their service is good as I only just made a not at fault claim 2 months ago.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
There’s one thing we all need to understand. Insurance companies are there to make money like every other company. Their not your friend and they don’t share your passion. They will play on your knowledge and use terms most don’t understand. I’ve been in the panel industry most of my life, my wife has worked in the insurance industry most of hers. Before I met my wife I had a not at fault claim with RACV over 25 years ago. It pushed me to the edge to the fact that I found where the person was I spoke to and threatened to come down to the Footscray branch and drag him over the counter. I don’t recommend doing this, it will end up bad now days.
My point is don’t take no for an answer. They will try all the tricks in the book to get out of paying a claim. Do your home work, look at the fine print and make your own judgement. Don’t take no for an answer.
I had a horrific not at fault claim through Shannon’s regarding my XB GT. I went through 3 assessor’s and two repairers, the first being their own preferred repairer. I explained to the assessor and owner of the panel shop I was a panel beater and would go over the repair with a fine tooth comb. I’ll leave it at that.
Why didn,t you take the money and repair it yourself to make sure the job was done properly?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #20
creative
I am Batman

as with all insurance there will be good stories and bad stories.

Another one here with a missus used to work for them. Her quote was "hope you dont need to claim"

Echo the sentiments of them looking after the bottom line and no support to staff. This was a few years ago when they went through the sale of the company, maybe its improved.

My experience with Shannons was great with the ute. Paid out in full, car bought back with no issues. I was investigated due to the nature of the incident but the chap dealing with it was prompt and polite and all done and dusted in 7 days.

All my mods were declared to Shannons but werent engineered.

Still have the contents insurance and the missus car insured with them.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #21
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Run away from YOUi. too. my daughter wrote her car off, Police cleared her of all fault. YOUi refused to insure her new car.
What do you mean? If YOUi paid her claim, then there isnt any reason to run away from them. In fact its all the more reason to insure with them.

Many car insurers will no longer offer you insurance again after one claim, especially those who market themselves as cheaper because they only insure safe drivers.

and if they do insure you again after a claim, the premiums will sometimes skyrocket. again, thats no reason to avoid an insurance company in the first place.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #22
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
I was with them for a good number of years. I made 3 claims with them. 2 not at fault rear enders, and one kangaroo hit. All with my BF MkII Fairmont Ghia.

All 3 claims were flawless. I was thoroughly impressed with them. I simply could not fault them at all. They called me several times throughout the process to keep me informed of where things were up to, to ensure I was happy with the progress etc. They moved things along quickly. I was impressed with the entire process.

When people tell you to "run away" or "they're budget for a reason", they are simply on the bandwagon without knowing what they're talking about, or have just been unlucky.

I guess I got lucky on 3 seperate occasions, across multiple years then.

Only reason I changed is when I got the G6ET, I got a much cheaper quote with Progressive, so I moved to them. otherwsie I would have stayed with BD.

Progressive (now PD) were the best by a LONG way for me, give them a try with a quote. Agreed value, lowest premiums, lowest excess, best of everything basically. And cheaper by several hundred dollars.

And I know their service is good as I only just made a not at fault claim 2 months ago.
Or their talking from personal experience. When I’m asked for an opinion I’ll give it the way I experience it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Why didn,t you take the money and repair it yourself to make sure the job was done properly?
The simple answer is lack of equipment. How many people do you know who have a rack in their garage, a spray booth at their disposal.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports

Last edited by GasoLane; 05-10-2018 at 08:46 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #23
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Why don't you just use different insurers for some or all of your cars? I have my wife's WRX and house insured with Shannons whilst my XR50 is insured with RACQ.

For your "special" cars I'd check out Shannons and for the others, just pick one that is cheap and has all the "features" you want.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

Any experience.
With insurance, you get what you pay for.

If you want budget insurance, that is what you will get.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #25
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Why don't you just use different insurers for some or all of your cars? I have my wife's WRX and house insured with Shannons whilst my XR50 is insured with RACQ.

For your "special" cars I'd check out Shannons and for the others, just pick one that is cheap and has all the "features" you want.
Yes, I have done that, Lotus and Formula Ford with Shannons. Unfortunately, their pricing for daily drivers, was four times higher than Budget Direct. And as an aside, Shannons claims service on a recent claim, was pretty poor.
Old 14-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #26
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Yes, I have done that, Lotus and Formula Ford with Shannons. Unfortunately, their pricing for daily drivers, was four times higher than Budget Direct. And as an aside, Shannons claims service on a recent claim, was pretty poor.
Shannons wanted over $900 for my XR50! Even my old (fairly modified) WRX was cheaper with them. I pay about $450 with RACQ.

I've made car and house claims with Shannons and I've not been able to fault their claim services. Also had to make a claim recently with RACQ and they too were excellent.