Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Smile Fuel Pump Replacement How To

As I have just spent most of the past few weekends figuring out why #2 sons SR splutters and stops for no reason in the heat We have moved on to the fuel pump (having done plugs.leads,coilpack,fuel filter,ext) so I thought why not another how to :Reverend: this can also be used to spin your Fuel sock around to help prevent surging, (Note; this car was purchased new and has 170 ks on it, and all servicing has been by Ford or in house) This thread is just a guide to help others that may wish to try it for them selves, and is just how I did, it be it the rite or wrong way it worked for me.
First it is a good idea to have little or next to no fuel in the tank (although no essential ). Tools Needed will be Pointy nosed pliers, 7mm open end /ring spanner, 2 medium blade screwdrivers, 1 flat bar or screwdriver.
If replacement of the pump is needed I purchase mine of Ebay from a Deerpark supplier for $50 + postage took 4 days to deliver it Came complete with all fittings in kit form, and for what it's worth looks no different to the original

1. remove boot mat and on the left / passengers side floor is a flat round disk that covers the pump this is stuck to the floor with sicaflec type stuff and needs to be pryed off, (don't worry if it bends a bit you can easily tap it flat again with a hammer

2.With the cover removed, unplug the wiring, at this stage I opened the fuel cap to release any pressure in side it. the fuel lines now need removing from the top of the tank this can be done by gently squeezing the clips at the side together a levering the inside with a small blade screw driver whist sliding back at the same time (easyer than it sounds really : )
Note; some fuel may still be under pressure and a small amount my leak out so keep a few rags handy.

Now with the lines removed you should be able to see a 5" hose clamp securing the lid this is best removed with a 7mm ring spanner as a screw driver wont fit in the hole, unless you have a flexi drive

Now at this stage I vacuumed any loose dirt and gunk from around the cap to avoid it falling into the tank
Next part becomes a bit tricky as you have plastic screwed into plastic which tends to bind up ,it has been suggest that if you loosen the tank straps both sides about 1/3 of the way it will help to stop the distortion of the tank. as I only found this out later I haven't tried it out,Now if you don"t have the proper removal tool to unscrew the cap this is what I did. with the lines and hose clamp removed I levered around the outer edge of the cap with a large screwdriver against the body of the floor as you move it round the lid you can see the cap flex thus appearing to loosen and more gunk build up then re vacuumed the hole.

Next with one medium blade screwdriver on each side of the cap in the slots that can be seen in the lid , push then in so they sit fairly securely , then with a 3rd larger screw driver or flat bar as near to the base as practical twisted the cap anti clockwise ( to the passengers side for those with digital clocks :togo: )

with the cap now removed the unit can be removed completely

Good idea to put the plate back over the hole while you mess with the pump to

My guess is it is not supposed to be coated with black sludge

:
The disassembly / reassembly of the pump and components is fairly straight forward as all the bits are there already, at this point time to check if your fuel sock is facing to the rear of the car (this how this S3 SR came out of the tank My S2 was facing forward ) the new pump sock only clipped in to the rear the OM could clip in either way
with the new pump fitted to the unit replacement is the reverse of the removal with just a few tips to help
1. a finger full of Vaseline jelly around the thread on the lid made it easyer to tighten
2. make sure the O ring is in position on the inside of the unit and sits flush
3. the complete unit sits flush when back in the correct position , you may need to turn it to the left or right slightly as the in and out pipe do not sit square to the front of the car. then just Silastic the cover back down an your done.
Once again this is just a guide on how I did it ,it may not be text book but it worked for me and I would think any one else with a basic mechanical knowledge
Cheers Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Nice one Whoosha!

I hope it ends the hassles your son has had with the AU.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Fantastic how to.

I assume this would be very similar if not the same to the EF pump? Does anyone know if that hose clamp would be the same in an EF?

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Nice one Whoosha!

I hope it ends the hassles your son has had with the AU.

GK
You and me both : but there is one more thing left that Leeroy has come across so may have to give it a try, that relates to ware the fuel lines pass through the fire wall they appear to sit next to the heater hoses and can get fairly hot and may cause evaporation in the lines
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Very good writeup whoosha. I'm always amazed at the excellent things ford do that holden do not, ie to change a fuel pump in a commodore, you better have an empty tank! And if you don't have a hoist, forget about it!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

nice write up mate.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Nice write up there Whoosh, pretty much the same way I do mine.

WTF is with that fuel sock?!?!?!?!? Last I checked they weren't black!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`ve been threataning to do this on mine, but motorvation has`nt been there(hey i`m old...... : ) , i see how easy it is now, good job Whoosha.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks mate; I'll be doing this before our next trip away.

edit: I notice you don't need the big furry helper with this one. That will make it a bit easier for the rest of us ;)
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rotating the sock helps prevent surging ?

Facing the rear is better than forward ?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Rotating the sock helps prevent surging ?

Facing the rear is better than forward ?
Most of the early AUs suffered fuel surge when the fuel level got below 1/4 of a tank ussually when cornering hard or quick take offs ,most prominently at track and drag days.Fords explanation of this was as the pickup, sock faces forward (to the front of the car) the fuel would run to rear thus creating the surge problem, the dealership fix was to spin the pickup point around 180' : Note; this was a "FORD FIX" go figure it seems to work
Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Great write up Whoosh. Was the 180 a recall? My series 1 has 350 K and never a surge problem. It does have 3 recall stickers inside the driver's door frame.

If you havn't done so already, get one of the mods to edit into the 'how to' thread.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
Great write up Whoosh. Was the 180 a recall? My series 1 has 350 K and never a surge problem. It does have 3 recall stickers inside the driver's door frame.

If you havn't done so already, get one of the mods to edit into the 'how to' thread.
Not sure if it was a recall as such a few of the better dealerships just did it as part of the factory service, mine came with the 3 year 60000k free service , It may have been the one to end that deal :

Last edited by Whoosha; 11-01-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Most of the early AUs suffered fuel surge when the fuel level got below 1/4 of a tank ussually when cornering hard or quick take offs ,most prominently at track and drag days.Fords explanation of this was as the pickup, sock faces forward (to the front of the car) the fuel would run to rear thus creating the surge problem, the dealership fix was to spin the pickup point around 180' : Note; this was a "FORD FIX" go figure it seems to work
Mine is a series 2 and it surges if i corner hard with less than 1/3 full, Only on corners though. I will have rotate it soon.

Beer Baron.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Thumbs up Similar Experience

Nice work Woosha. It is great to see someone going to the effort to document their work and sharing it with others.

I had a similar problem with my 2002 LTD. Under warranty, Ford dealers were looking at the electrical / computer issues, but could not replicate the problem, let alone fix it. The key for me is that I could replicate the surge with 1/4 tank or less, take it to a Ford dealer and nothing would show up on the computer diagnostics.

I finally made the 1000Km trip to the dealer that I bought it from - keeping the tank above 3/4 as not to give me grief on the way. When I got to the dealer I had let the tank run down to under 1/4 of a tank. I replicated the problem for the Ford 'Technician' with predictable reliability.

What they found was that the pump was 'self destructing'. My second fuel filter was full of black gunk within 2500 KM. I can only assume that the 'black gunk' was rubber from within the fuel pump. Fuel pump was replaced and so all is now good - touch wood.

A couple of tips from my experience - check your fuel filter now that you have replaced your son's pump. I also have an after market workshop manual for the AU range - it advises to loosen the bands holding the tank in place to avoid distortion and not allowing you to get the new pump in.

Well done - keep up the good work. As I work more on my car (now out of dealer warranty), I will try and document as well for the benefit of other members.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
luckykar

Great write up mate , it certainly helps others out who are wondering how to go about fixing these problems. Makes it so much easier to do things when you have a great how to like this...thanks Whoosha
luckykar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
AU_Wagin

You are lucky you dont have a wagon. Having almost zero fuel in the tank is a must. The full tank has to be lowered and is a pain in the ****! Three Fuel later - I should know

I didnt no abou the sock, I must ahve a look at one of the removed ones I have saved

Ray
Old 20-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #18
Aublokes
Starter Motor

Woosh, Ive got a 6cyl 99 au ute that just dies on you after driving for a while on a hot day, I need to wait 15-20 mins for it to cool off or reset or whatever before I can start up again. Is that the same problem you were having and did the fuel pump replacement or the fuel line near the heater hose fix the problem? cheers.
Aublokes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aublokes
Woosh, Ive got a 6cyl 99 au ute that just dies on you after driving for a while on a hot day, I need to wait 15-20 mins for it to cool off or reset or whatever before I can start up again. Is that the same problem you were having and did the fuel pump replacement or the fuel line near the heater hose fix the problem? cheers.
Sounds the same, the pump and sock were clogged solid with gunk. it has been fine ever since .

Quote:
Old 23-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
whiskers
gone fishing

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement How To

thanks woosha for this info, I know I know thread mining lol

I just used this to change my fuel pump, I couldn't find this info on the forums straight up although there is a link for fuel pumps and filters but it takes you else where, I ended up doing a google search.

thanks again job well done
Old 23-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Should be linked up in the top of Use full threads in the "How Too s" Mite have to add a bit more to the heading

Quote:
Old 25-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
kayyan
Starter Motor

Hi Whoosha
Below is the symptom of my AU ii Faclon's problem. Someone suggested it seems similiar to the problem of your #2 son's car. Could you have a look and give me some advice. Thanks, Kayyan

''My 2001 AU ii with mileage 350000 has a system cut up problem whcih can't be identified by my electrician and mechanics. Sometimes it suddenly stops on the road and I can restart the car srtaight away after that. The problem happens at low speed such as 30 to 40 km/hr. And it happened when car was idling once.

My electrician scanned the car and found no relavant code. He guessed from experience that ''crank angle sensor'' is likely to be the problem and changed it on Dec 2013. I drive the car for around 2000 km since then and the problem come back again. Same electrician inspected and scanned the car again and still could not find out what's wrong, ie no relavant code turned up. He cleaned up throttel body as well although it is perfectly clean.

Nb My mechanics inspected the car before my electrican changed crank angle sensor last Dec and found no relevant mechanical fault re the problem as well.''
kayyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: