Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #421
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
That’s a current ad being played in New Zealand.
Yeah right! Petrol is up to 2.50 a litre there. There would be sfa AU Falcons left there and the few that are won’t be driven ..too hard on fuel.
There plenty of FG,s though.
Old 23-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #422
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Um, so, from one basket case of an American car company to an even bigger basket case of an American car company. Great move. Not.
When did Fiat become an American car company??

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #423
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
When did Fiat become an American car company??

D
Fiats an even bigger basket case than Chrysler.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #424
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

This is one of HSV's offerings it seems ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-_jVrEJC8 ..

Honest opinions please ..Would you buy one if money was no object ?

I'm not in love with the front end via vid but maybe more appealing in the metal ..
Old 23-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #425
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/holde...-23/76142.html

More GM lip service.

“If you get in early enough at the platform development stage designed for both right-hand drive and left-hand drive, then really, the world’s your oyster in terms of what you can bring in,” Mr Buttner said.

If that was really the case then there would already be a number of US GM models on sale today. But it just doesn't add up.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
Old 23-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #426
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Um, so, from one basket case of an American car company to an even bigger basket case of an American car company. Great move. Not.
Chrysler Jeep actually make some good looking and good value for money cars which stack up good against their direct competitors, unlike Holden which make boring looking cars which are even more boring when you compare them to their direct competitors.

Chrysler Jeep still have a bad reputation.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #427
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suss'd out the equinox last night to kill time, a demo LT 1.5T can be had for $21k and a LT 2.0T for $26k, thats about $11k off the normal price. bloody cheap new car but would you buy one still even with 7 year warranty??? nope

they can't give them away

oh and my brother who is a ford die hard got a new commodore loan car after his ranger blew up again and he said it was great, 2.0t LT and went like the clappers...but he still hated mainly because it had a commodore badge on a FWD
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
Old 24-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #428
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/holde...-23/76142.html

More GM lip service.

“If you get in early enough at the platform development stage designed for both right-hand drive and left-hand drive, then really, the world’s your oyster in terms of what you can bring in,” Mr Buttner said.

If that was really the case then there would already be a number of US GM models on sale today. But it just doesn't add up.
It's all well and good to say they can just make them in RHD, but if the numbers don't add up, like they didn't for Camaro factory RHD, then it just won't happen.

They will not just make RHD models to sell a few hundred in Australia and NZ per month, and with Chevrolet pulling out of Europe and other regions then they can't spread those RHD development costs across the UK or anywhere else. anymore.

It's all just typical GM bull**** trying to talk up a bright future when the reality is the brand is toxic.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #429
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are quite a number of RHD markets, but GM is forsaking them at the moment. even dropping down to two RHD vehicles in Japan, and we know already about UK. Not sure about other significant markets (HK, Malaysia). There is a decent range in India, but no sedan bigger than Cruze.
Old 24-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #430
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
There are quite a number of RHD markets, but GM is forsaking them at the moment. even dropping down to two RHD vehicles in Japan, and we know already about UK. Not sure about other significant markets (HK, Malaysia). There is a decent range in India, but no sedan bigger than Cruze.
GM have already announced they are pulling out of India haven't they?

The number of markets to sell RHD vehicles into is pretty small for GM now.

Edit-

http://fortune.com/2017/05/18/gm-india-withdrawal/

South Africa too

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...africa-9204405
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #431
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Malaysia have huge import taxes, eg Ecoboost Mustang is well over AU$100,000 and the average income is much lower than Australia so no go, Singapore, HK in a similar boat and I believe Thailand is too.

GM's biggest market is now China followed by the US and are virtually non existent in any RHD markets now, doesn't look that good for Holden in the future.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #432
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is not looking good for Holden, how are GM going to justify developing RHD models for them ?

I think not with the retreat from other RHD markets.

The future is gloomy regardless of the typical GM spin.

Didn’t their foolish recent CEO say they would be market leaders by 2021 ?
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #433
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

While Holden talks a good game, Ford has bitch-slapped them with the RHD Mustang,
they really don't have anything too exciting coming that's anywhere affordable..
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #434
xeeclipse
Banned

One of their premier dealerships in Watson Holden bundoora (melbourne) has colorados, ZB commodores and equinox almost pouring out onto the street. I've seen the same 3 zb's out the front for more than a month!

Back in the dark ages (early 90's) i remember what a big deal the 200kw VP GTS was and seeing it take centre stage in their showroom. Holden were a marketing machine back then and peter brock had golden tonsils.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #435
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeclipse View Post
Back in the dark ages (early 90's) i remember what a big deal the 200kw VP GTS was and seeing it take centre stage in their showroom. Holden were a marketing machine back then and peter brock had golden tonsils.
It was a very different time. If you wanted a performance car, you either got a V8 falcadore, or spent big on a euro. Nowadays, we're spoilt for choice, so much so that even those euros now have performance variants within or not far off the budgets of the average person.
Old 26-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #436
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The Commodore turns 40 today.

They say life begins at 40, probably not for Holden.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/motorin...9c5d68ac45c1b9
Old 27-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #437
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeclipse View Post
One of their premier dealerships in Watson Holden bundoora (melbourne) has colorados, ZB commodores and equinox almost pouring out onto the street. I've seen the same 3 zb's out the front for more than a month!
:d oh

Every car dealer in the world has new cars sitting in the lot for a month!!!
Old 27-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #438
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post

To be fair the sales of cars have been down for the last 5 months, and many brands are now overstocked.

There will be some new car bargains as we head into Xmas and the end of the year.

It will be a buyer's market...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/motorin...c6a709cee841fd
Old 27-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #439
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post

Most of your posts are pretty negative and inflammatory JOEY. Got anything of substance to add??
Old 27-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #440
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

City holden in Sadelaide sold 13 Acadia's , 2 Comaro's several Silverado's including 2 top of the range @ over $100,000 this week but nothing else!
Old 28-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #441
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was that just the one dealership or all of them?

Looks like the US product is what people want
Old 29-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #442
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just City Holden
Old 29-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #443
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope Ford are taking notice of Siverado sales rhd F trucks would sell well in Australia
Old 29-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #444
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
I hope Ford are taking notice of Siverado sales rhd F trucks would sell well in Australia
I can't believe this . I STILL have yet to see a ZB Commodore on the road after all this time. Not one . Today though as I walked up to the servo after work to collect my old 1984 Honda Accord from a service that I bought 18 months ago to cart the muttleys around in and save the Falcons from short running crap I had a look at a parked white Dodge Ram .

Didn't look too bad at all. I agree that maybe Ford should consider the possibility of the modern F Trucks here at some stage especially if the 2 litre bi turbo Ranger Raptor doesn't sell too well over time .

In the meantime I keep an eye out for seeing a ZB Commodore in the metal ,SOMEWHERE..
Old 29-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #445
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

In the meantime I keep an eye out for seeing a ZB Commodore in the metal ,SOMEWHERE..
Your not missing much Roddy. Even more underwhelming in the metal than in the in pics.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #446
CATXR8
OWN THE ROAD

I have seen plenty in SA.

They all have POLICE on the side.
WORK HORSE - P250
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #447
stig_3754

I've seen quite a few around Melbourne, so they are around.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
Old 30-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #448
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No Holden wont survive in its current format. I can see another cull of dealers coming very soon.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #449
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I can't believe this . I STILL have yet to see a ZB Commodore on the road after all this time. Not one . Today though as I walked up to the servo after work to collect my old 1984 Honda Accord from a service that I bought 18 months ago to cart the muttleys around in and save the Falcons from short running crap I had a look at a parked white Dodge Ram .

Didn't look too bad at all. I agree that maybe Ford should consider the possibility of the modern F Trucks here at some stage especially if the 2 litre bi turbo Ranger Raptor doesn't sell too well over time .

Agree .. I think I've seen more NEW imported Rams, Chev pickups and even Toyota Tundras than ZBs ..
Old 30-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #450
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Holden are in a bit of trouble. To justify the expense of the RHD cars from overseas they had a quota presented to GM that they must fulfill to sell. For example each month they must take on 1800 Astras.

If they don't meet that quota then GM can issue a "fine" to them, not anything insignificant either. Many dealers are now overloaded with stock to get rid of, hence there are some deals happening on particular cars.
One of the biggest stuff ups was ordering Astra sedans.
Closed Thread