Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 30-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default Protecting Paintwork

After much deliberation, confusion and growing concern for the speed of chipping to the front of my GT, I bit the bullet and got a car bra.

I have never been a fan of these things, having seen the damage to cars from poorly fitting, covers through to damage csused by debris getting under them and grinding away the paint, but necessity prevails, I am not sure what type of plastic FPV are using for the bumper bars on these cars but the paint chips off way too easily. The other reason to start this thread is to let you all know of the excellent service, and quality of the product that I got from Car Bra Australia, I sent an e-mail, was rung the following day sent some pictures of what i wanted, and the thing turned up 3 days later, WOW for a custom unit, I am impressed. I also like the results and thought I would show it off.

Old 30-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
After much deliberation, confusion and growing concern for the speed of chipping to the front of my GT, I bit the bullet and got a car bra.

I have never been a fan of these things, having seen the damage to cars from poorly fitting, covers through to damage csused by debris getting under them and grinding away the paint, but necessity prevails, I am not sure what type of plastic FPV are using for the bumper bars on these cars but the paint chips off way too easily. The other reason to start this thread is to let you all know of the excellent service, and quality of the product that I got from Car Bra Australia, I sent an e-mail, was rung the following day sent some pictures of what i wanted, and the thing turned up 3 days later, WOW for a custom unit, I am impressed. I also like the results and thought I would show it off.

I had the same experience with the Phoon, except mine was made the day I ordered it and I had it the next day, they must be getting busy coming up to christmas for a 3 day turn around LOL. And the plastic they use on the bumpers is a 40% talc filled polypropylene, how do I know, cause Im a plastics engineer and have been in the game for 27 years. Looks great Chris, cant wait to see it up close.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

That should also make it difficult to weld as well, I think that is the same stuff used on the HSV sills which is an absolute bugger to weld
Old 30-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes apparently they cant be welded the FPV front bars... Im very interested in your carbra and mirror covers, do you mind me asking how much?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
Blue Thunder 2

We received our Car-Bra as well on Monday. Like you Coyote we were not a big fan of them either, but fitted it on Monday night and we must admit it looked better than what we thought it would. Pleased with the colour match and the GT stripes lined up real well too. Also a nice snug fit. Looking forward to Warwick on Saturday and giving it a try out. Just hope these storms stay away from our beasties. Don't want no hail on Blue Thunder, and we are sure nobody else wants it either. See you at Willowbank.

Shane
Blue Thunder 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Blue Thunder 2

Okay here is the prices-

Black- $374

Black with coloured stripes- $440

Coloured with black stripes- $550 Will include stripes, XR6 or XR8, Boss 290, GT, whatever you want on it.

Delivery is included.

Mirror Covers- $110 a pair and includes writing.

Delivery is

Shane
Blue Thunder 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default welding and remoulding plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Yes apparently they cant be welded the FPV front bars... Im very interested in your carbra and mirror covers, do you mind me asking how much?
Well the prices have already been quoted, so that saves me but on another note do you know if the rear b bars are made of the same stuff
I want to remould the section on the passengers side to duplicate the exhaust hole when i put the twins on.
It was easy enough on the xr but i am concerned with the plastic on the gt
any advise
No use knowing an expert if you are not going to lean on them a little.
Thanks Chris
e-mail me if you do not want to post it. thanks
chris@onspotpaint.com
Old 01-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The rear bars are the same, my mates at Q Ford have alot of trouble getting paint to stick to them aswell and have been waiting 3 months for a replacement on a demo that got *** ended!

Anyways you shouldnt have any trouble cutting the rear bar as i know herrods etc do it all the time for quads, maybe give herrods new qld branch a ring and they might be able to help you out!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

I like them but the mirror covers are a little much for my liking. The carbra looks like a great fit and match though.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #10
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I like them but the mirror covers are a little much for my liking. The carbra looks like a great fit and match though.
I have the mirror ones for my phoon as well. I dont leave them on, they only take 5 seconds to put on and off. They are great for trips, no bugs on backs of mirrors to clean off.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Well the prices have already been quoted, so that saves me but on another note do you know if the rear b bars are made of the same stuff
I want to remould the section on the passengers side to duplicate the exhaust hole when i put the twins on.
It was easy enough on the xr but i am concerned with the plastic on the gt
any advise
No use knowing an expert if you are not going to lean on them a little.
Thanks Chris
e-mail me if you do not want to post it. thanks
chris@onspotpaint.com
Chris, the material used for these applications, bumpers, side skirts etc, are not hydroscopic like alot of other plastics. The material doesnt like being glued or have anything stuck to it (just about impossible to do), it doesnt like paint as the paint cant key itself into the plastic, once again because its not hydroscopic. But the material is tough, flexible up to a point and it has a memory so it always wants to go back to its original moulded state after being bent. Thats why its used for these applications.
Hope this helps. See you on Sunday mate.

Cheers
Jeff