Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Performance Club of ACT > Ford Performance Club of ACT Owners Club Events

Ford Performance Club of ACT Owners Club Events Meets, greats and timetables

Old 15-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Default Race Event

I've had a few members come to me asking if we do any racing events, in the past there has been traditionally only the one event, the annual Ford Forums Nationals at Heathcote Park Raceway on the June Queens Birthday long weekend for some 1/4 mile drag racing.

So in order to organise something, noting, it will most likely have to be a weekday, as weekends are usually taken up by race series events all year long. So be prepared to take a day off work.

So a Survey first, what would we like to do first up. Some options we can easily arrange as a club, with no minimum numbers needed. If we can get enough numbers things like private days become possible.

Q1: What style event?

1A: Drag racing @ Sydney Dragway
Will be a Wednesday night (gates open 4pm, racing from 6pm to 10pm), means leaving Canberra Wednesday afternoon (1pm, want to arrive for gates open to ensure we get spots, as entries are limited to 200 a night), and returning at midnight or 1 am. only a half day off work.

Cost: $60 per driver (plus your fuel expenses etc.),
License: no license requirement, unless your running 10's or better, and you probably already know about all you need if that's the case.
Safety: AUS/NZ standard helmet (motorcycle helmet is fine) or better (FIA or SA approved race helmet), long non-flammable clothes write to ankle. jeans and a cotton jumper are fine. Car to be in good condition tyres, brakes, steering all work 100%) if it's leaking stuff you'll likely been thrown out, no one wants fluids on the race surface.

If we can get 20 people, we can (potentially) get a private lane, so cna line each other up, otherwise we'll just be in the regular lanes with everyone else.

1B: Circuit racing @ Wakefield Park

Will be a weekday, the weekend sessions are rare, more expensive, and busier so you pay more for less time. Typically they start from 8am, and go through to 4pm. Circuit racing is harder on the car and tyres/fuel than drag, but IMHO much more fun

License: Yes you'll need either a CAMS (apply on the CAMS website quoting the club), or ASAA license (available from the track for $95). Another $110 or so for CAMS year license. CAMS accepted everywhere, ASAA only at Wakefield Park and Winton.

Q2: Do you want driver training? (from experienced track racers).
I highly recommend you get some training if you haven't before, I still go on a training day every year or so, helps sharpen your skills, even if you do it frequently.

2A: Yes, will cost more say $200 a day (to be confirmed depending who we get to do the training), but you get access to the track, access to experienced drivers for help. Added benefit here is they'll be closed training days so less people on track.

2B: No,
Cost: $150 for weekday pre-entered, $185 weekday pay-on-the-day. $185 weeked pre-entered, $220 weekend pay-on-the-day.

License: as above.

Safety: As per drags, you want your car in tip-top condition, no leaks, brakes, tyres, steering mechanically sound. wrist to ankle non-flammable clothing, AUS/NZ standard helmet, or race certified helmet.

Comments
Drag racing is typically easier on your car than circuit racing, you may have a hard launch but the whole thing is over in seconds. On the circuit, you can be out there for 15-20 minutes, heat starts affecting things.

After a day at the circuit, I budget for an oil and filter change, a set of brake pads every 3 days (you don't want them under half thickness or they'll over heat too quickly on track, but be fine for road use), rotors inspected/measured replaced as needed. It all depends how hard you want to go, you certainly don't want to go 10 tenths on your first time out, you'll end up breaking something or crashing. no one wants that.

So who's interested, in what. We'll figure out when later.

thanks.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
XBv8mmm!

Default Re: Race Event

Hi D_M.

Would be interested in some driver training, always good to brush up on driving skills so that aggressively manoeuvring around window lickers in the right hand lane is easier.

Gaz.

Last edited by XBv8mmm!; 15-11-2017 at 08:56 PM.
XBv8mmm! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
c_foz
Ford Performance Club ACT

I'm interested in all those things, but seeing as I'm a club member with no Ford right now I will probably have to wait until I have one
c_foz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

to make some of these things financially viable we may need to have some ring ins, depends how many Fords we get.

Old 16-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
richardxr8

I'm up for 1A anytime....
2B with some notice.
What about the 2B option at Wakefield with passenger ? I have heard these come up occasionally ?
I would probably join if/when one of these come up as a Club event
Matt (300SRT) would always tag along for both the above events also.
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I've only seen passenger rides on private run days, not the normal off street days (where they don't have much in the way of staff on hand to manage such activity).

Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
nelsonian101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm keen for anything at Wakefield.
What about Roll Racing too?

350,000kms+

Road registered Lap record holder at Wakefield for any Ford or 2wd 4 door, of any make.....ever!!

Wakefield 1.07.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Marulan 43.4 Winton 1.35.4
nelsonian101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
The Rocket
FPV & XR Owners Club ACT

Interested in 2A
The Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

1A or 1B any day of the week Chris.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post