Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default "Carsguide" FG XR6 vs. VE2 SV6 comparison.

Today in "CarsGuide", there was a comparison between the FG Falcon XR6 and the VE Commodore SV6. Of course the VE won, even though they said the Falcon drove better.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...ord_falcon_xr6

Two main gripes with the comparison:

Value Falcon scored 3/5, Commodore 3.5/5. The Falcon price was quoted at $42,990, whilst the Commodore at $42,790. Even though they acknowledged that a Limited Edition XR6 was the test car, priced at $34,990. But they said they will stick with an "apples for apples standoff" and compare the full prices.

Now who buys a XR6 at $42,990? I remember last year when the VE1 was being run out the price was still a couple of thousand higher than the XR50, which was by far the better equipped package.

Carsguide should compare 'real' prices for the cars, prices which people normally pay, and doing so the XR6 LE would have been shown to have a much better value than the SV6.

Safety, Falcon scored 3/5, the Commodore 3.5/5. The curtain airbag issue was mentioned again. No mention that the Ancap tests actually gave Falcon a higher score 34.61/37 from the testing, than Commodore 33.45/37, even with the airbag issue taken care of in the scoring.

Seems the journalists at Carsguide know better about what makes a safer car than the professional engineers doing the crash test evaluations.

Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: "Carsguide" FG XR6 vs. VE2 SV6 comparison.

What can you expect from Carsguide, they will find any reason to award Commodore the win.

They haven't even mentioned the FG MkII yet and Ford released pics and info around 3-4 weeks ago?

They also fail to mention that the MkII gets the curtain airbags standard across the sedan range too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They also forgot to mention that the FG was found to be the safety car on the road in real crushes in the real world!! yet was said to be less safe.. Go figure!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What can you expect from Carsguide, they will find any reason to award Commodore the win.

They haven't even mentioned the FG MkII yet and Ford released pics and info around 3-4 weeks ago?

They also fail to mention that the MkII gets the curtain airbags standard across the sedan range too.
Are you surprised they needed to get one last cheap-shot article in before MkII?
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Carsguide who? Never heard of them....

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've got a VE2 SV6 at work, and apart from the touch screen, the car is crap, the number one thing I hate about it is that you can't really see much out of it, it feels like visability is very poor.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
RAPID_BA
Banned

The falcon has more punch at any revs under 5000rpm, loads more torque. That's where 95% of the driving. Above 5000rpm they are about equal.

So the rest if the 5% driving at wot ill call it equal
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

My opinion was just summed up on carsguide after I just read them mention the "Stone Brothers Commodore" in the QLD edition.
Enough said lol.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ancap does not test the safety for rear seat passengers, something curtain airbags protect. I have been saying for ages that Ford's stupid RRP costs Ford sales with people using internet for car research.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Danny
GT4.

Hang on. The Commodore has rear curtains doesn't it, while the Falcon doesn't.

In which case, I suspect the win by a slight margin to commodore could well be warranted.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Hang on. The Commodore has rear curtains doesn't it, while the Falcon doesn't.

In which case, I suspect the win by a slight margin to commodore could well be warranted.
Wow, did you not read anything in this thread?

The people who test all our cars for safety (ANCAP), rated the FG Falcon (without curtains) as having higher safety than the VE Commo (with curtains).
This has also been verified in real world conditions.

Airbags are not the be all and end all of safety.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL_250
Wow, did you not read anything in this thread?

The people who test all our cars for safety (ANCAP), rated the FG Falcon (without curtains) as having higher safety than the VE Commo (with curtains).
This has also been verified in real world conditions.

Airbags are not the be all and end all of safety.
Rear seat passenger head injuries are not included in the ANCAP scoring system,
that's why Ford gets a win on superior front seat injury score but fails with rear seat passenger safety.

Without curtain Airbags, your rear seat passengers stand a good chance of dying due to
significant head strike against the upper door frame, something ANCAP doesn't score.

That's why Ford's decision to jiggle points to get five star rating without curtain airbags
for rear passengers was morally bankrupt. In my books, that is far worse than Holden
conjuring a win on fuel economy numbers out of the pathetic 3.0 SIDI...

Last edited by jpd80; 08-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I think that was fair, they gave the Falcon the win where it counts - how it drives.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Rear seat passenger head injuries are not included in the ANCAP scoring system,
that's why Ford gets a win on superior front seat injury score but fails with rear seat passenger safety.

Without curtain Airbags, your rear seat passengers stand a good chance of dying due to
significant head strike against the upper door frame, something ANCAP doesn't score.

That's why Ford's decision to jiggle points to get five star rating without curtain airbags
for rear passengers was morally bankrupt. In my books, that is far worse than Holden
conjuring a win on fuel economy numbers out of the pathetic 3.0 SIDI...
agreed , it does seem a poor decision to make the curtain air bag for rear passengers an option, 99.999999 % percent will never need them more than likely, but for some buying a new car it could be a deal breaker when both cars are similar but one has an an extra safety aid.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are no longer an option from Nov 2011 build... they are standard.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They are no longer an option from Nov 2011 build... they are standard.
Carsguide don't want to mention it though, as it takes away their number 1 potshot at Falcon. MkII press release was 3 or 4 weeks ago and still no mention in Carsguide. The MY 12 Commodore got a 2 page right up.

What are they going to do once MK II goes into production, they will have to find something else to bring up in every Falcon and Commodore article to give a whack to Falcon about.

They will probably just stick to talking about low sales numbers and the FACT, which isn't even a fact at all, that the Falcon is going to become a Taurus, because they pass it off as fact.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both Ford and Holden told us, regarding the XR6 and the SV6, that we would be advised not to sit down and order a special car in a special colour with certain features, rather to pick one off the lot or ask if they have access to one close to what we wanted.
I seem to recall (back in March) that an XR6 (off the lot) was between $32,500 and $37,000 drive away, depending on the dealer and the features, but if we sat down and ordered a specific car, it was going to cost well over $40,000 to $45,000.
The figures were much the same at Holden.
It all depends on whether someone walks in off the street and is hapy with what the cars on the lot at the time have to offer, or if they really want a special car built to thier specs from an option sheet. When a magazine prices a car, they don't ring all the dealers and ask what prices the cars sitting on the lot are...they look at the "official" sale price of the car.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Put it this way, I think two weeks ago they did a review on the XR6 LPi, couldnt help themselves to add a couple of paragraphs on on GMH system which is obviously nothing like the Fords...anyway, when it came to the verdict do you know what two key points where...

1. Could do without the spoiler....ah its a XR6!
2. Didnt like the purple colour.....

Now, you can probably guess the gender of the writer (no offense, I know some good car chicks) but how are those two bits even worth mentioning at all, let alone in the conclusion.

These people are blog writers, not automotive evaluators and such their pieces should be seen as nothing more than a qualitative opinion..thats it.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Both Ford and Holden told us, regarding the XR6 and the SV6, that we would be advised not to sit down and order a special car in a special colour with certain features, rather to pick one off the lot or ask if they have access to one close to what we wanted.
I seem to recall (back in March) that an XR6 (off the lot) was between $32,500 and $37,000 drive away, depending on the dealer and the features, but if we sat down and ordered a specific car, it was going to cost well over $40,000 to $45,000.
The figures were much the same at Holden.
It all depends on whether someone walks in off the street and is hapy with what the cars on the lot at the time have to offer, or if they really want a special car built to thier specs from an option sheet. When a magazine prices a car, they don't ring all the dealers and ask what prices the cars sitting on the lot are...they look at the "official" sale price of the car.
But they were testing a Limited Edition XR6, which is available by order from the production line for $34,990 driveaway (as they stated), which is what is available right now, when this comparison was published.

So did you actually sit down with a dealer to a point where the deal was ready to sign at a price of $42,990? Very much doubt that would happen especially in the last days of the FG1. Anyone paying $42,990 obviously wouldn't have done their homework at all, doubt there would be many, if at all any XR6's sold at that price at this point of the FG1 production.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
4stanger