Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #241
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Re: Gen F HSV GTS Review, 0-100 in 4.4s

I am one Proud Ford Fan Boy now

Every Magazine, Every journalist, Every Newspaper, 95% of the AFF HSV lovers jumped on the HSV GTS 430KW S/C as going to be the fastest BUT ITS NOT!!!!!!!!! even HSV themselves.........I always believed something was very suss with this Hero Car from HSV not being tested

HSV always has been reported by the Media as a better chassis, better handling, better this, better that blah blah blah BUT IS NOT FASTER even with all it's Tech on board.............FAIL

HSV has more power by 100kw
HSV has more torque by 170nm
HAS weighs approx. 30kgs more

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #242
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
I am one Proud Ford Fan Boy now

Every Magazine, Every journalist, Every Newspaper, 95% of the AFF HSV lovers jumped on the HSV GTS 430KW S/C as going to be the fastest BUT ITS NOT!!!!!!!!! even HSV themselves.........I always believed something was very suss with this Hero Car from HSV not being tested

HSV always has been reported by the Media as a better chassis, better handling, better this, better that blah blah blah BUT IS NOT FASTER even with all it's Tech on board.............FAIL

HSV has more power by 100kw
HSV has more torque by 170nm
HAS weighs approx. 30kgs more
Aww man, you still don't get it? It doesn't have 100kw more... On paper it does, so i suppose to the average Joe that must be right. But to those in know, it's much closer. The GT should have been badged at 375kw, then people wouldn't keep harping on about the 100kw difference, in the real world there is not 100kw between the two... In a round about sort of way, FPV should have badged it 375kw, as it would have held the Hero status by a long shot for all those years prior to this GTS (would have been great marketing)... It would have got the average Joe's talking up the 375kw monster. Average Joe's don't understand the difference between rwkw and fwkw... All they know is that it's only 335kw with a S/C yet HSV manage 325kw without a S/C, they don't get it..

The very few tests that have been done don't really mean anything yet. What if, a one off test they manage a 4.39 sec 0-100km/h... but only once ever, and then the rest of the times are 4.5-4.6... Who really cares, it's still a fast performance car.

I still think it will go faster, it's not even mainstream yet, so it's hard to celebrate any kind of win for FPV just yet. What we can celebrate, is the fact that regardless of what brand we buy, we will be getting some fantastic bang for buck. Any car that can match an E63 around Winton is a great bit of kit, regardless of the brand.

Imagine if FPV lived on; they could simple adopt some of the HSV's tech, and badge it at 375kw without changing a tune... Add an intercooler, up the boost, put on some wider tyres and tweak the Rspec suspension then badge it at 440kw with 700 odd Nm, and it would still accurately reflect it's true power output... I reckon performance times would be close to the GTS too, if not go well past it!
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #243
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 5150 View Post
I understand what you're saying, i've owned enough performance cars in my life, and taken enough flak from my Holden mates over my Fords for the past 25 years of ownership. I just think it gets so childish at times, and i'm obviously in the minority, but the final performance numbers just don't appeal to me when purchasing a vehicle, and are not the be all and end all in choosing a car on that alone.

With regards to HSV comparing themselves to Euro's, good luck to them, can I suggest if FPV took this route years ago and expanding their market share, rather than boxing themselves into a corner in a straight Ford v Holden dogfight, FPV may be in a better financial position than they currently are and have a viable future. As I've said it before, call it slick marketing, big budget advertising or smoke and mirrors, but HSV make a great product also.

Credit to them both.
I'd call it "creative" marketing mate and I don't like bull excriment.
Yes, technically the car appears to be good, is it really any faster than a SC FPV, I doubt it, has it got more technology and trinkets, definitly, is it butt ugly, OMG is the Pope a Catholic , is it over-priced, absolutly.
Are they absolutly full of it comparing it too Euro's, you betcha.
Would it have made any difference if FPV had taken this adsurd route with their marketing, very unlikely.
The simple reality is that HSV have a much longer history in Australia and received more financial support than FPV did....they also have enjoyed the ability to use crate engines direct from the States.

But I conceed you're right that credit is due to both of them and unfortunatly they'll both be gone before too long. People who havn't already would be well advised to open their shoulders and stump-up and get one of these last great Australian made muscle cars before its too late. Life can be full of regretts, not owning one of these last great cars is definitly one regrett to avoid !!

Last edited by Rodge; 23-08-2013 at 11:19 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #244
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post
Aww man, you still don't get it? It doesn't have 100kw more... On paper it does, so i suppose to the average Joe that must be right. But to those in know, it's much closer. The GT should have been badged at 375kw, then people wouldn't keep harping on about the 100kw difference, in the real world there is not 100kw between the two... In a round about sort of way, FPV should have badged it 375kw, as it would have held the Hero status by a long shot for all those years prior to this GTS (would have been great marketing)... It would have got the average Joe's talking up the 375kw monster. Average Joe's don't understand the difference between rwkw and fwkw... All they know is that it's only 335kw with a S/C yet HSV manage 325kw without a S/C, they don't get it.. !
lol as if I don't get it - I know all about power train loss especially manual vs auto on a Dyno and Engine Dyno.

HSV choose this way to badge their cars - the media and everyone jumped on with the most powerful Aussie Built Car EVER
So with this claim EVERYONE assumed the fastest as well - BUT ITS NOT.................. so yes it is HSV FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post
The very few tests that have been done don't really mean anything yet. What if, a one off test they manage a 4.39 sec 0-100km/h... but only once ever, and then the rest of the times are 4.5-4.6... Who really cares, it's still a fast performance car. !
There are very few test with the FPV GT Rspec as well - it has done a 4.5 to 100klms but everyone goes of what wheels did 4.6 - 100klms - Drive obtained the 4.6 to 100klms BUT the Wheels test only achieved 4.8 to 100klms

so FPV GT Rspec is a clear winner - BUT what your saying is keep on testing this HSV until it beats the FPV and leave the FPV record as 4.6 to 100klms

No Doubt this is what HSV will do BUT if your going to CLAIM & Badge your car 430kw at the very least make it go faster

EVEN on here we have the title as 4.4 to 100 - should be changed now

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 23-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #245
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol as if I don't get it - I know all about power train loss especially manual vs auto on a Dyno and Engine Dyno.

HSV choose this way to badge their cars - the media and everyone jumped on with the most powerful Aussie Built Car EVER
So with this claim EVERYONE assumed the fastest as well - BUT ITS NOT.................. so yes it is HSV FAIL

There are very few test with the FPV GT Rspec as well - it has done a 4.5 to 100klms but everyone goes of what wheels did 4.6 - 100klms - Drive obtained the 4.6 to 100klms BUT the Wheels test only achieved 4.8 to 100klms

so FPV GT Rspec is a clear winner - BUT what your saying is keep on testing this HSV until it beats the FPV and leave the FPV record as 4.6 to 100klms

No Doubt this is what HSV will do BUT if your going to CLAIM & Badge your car 430kw at the very least make it go faster

Tongue in cheek, i understand that 'you' personally get it... But the average Joe doesn't, and the media just jump on it. It grinds me too, that the media proclaim the HSV as the most powerful by a long shot, but in reality it's not. I wish FPV would have badged the GT as 375kw.

All i'm saying is, that the GTS is so new that i'm sure it will consistently get better times down at the track. Look at the GT, when the media would manage high 12s, but members managed low to mid 12s...

It's not the fastest yet, but it might be. And, until it's been put on several dyno's we won't know if it's the most powerful either. I'm tipping it will be about 330-340rwkw... It will be very close to being on par with the GT.
Old 23-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #246
Rodge
Banned

Just get a signwriter to fill in the missing bits of the second number 3 and change it to an 8 so we have the true output of a stock 385 FPV
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #247
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Just get a signwriter to fill in the missing bits of the second number 3 and change it to an 8 so we have the true output of a stock 385 FPV
That's just it, FPV could have marketed the GT as a 375kw car, maybe in hindsight, they should have? Average Joe would know it made big power then, as it is, average Joe assumes it's only comparable to the 325 clubsport...
Old 23-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #248
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AHAHAHA VF handbrake still activates when vehicle is moving. Guy goes to put up window and activates handbrake instead http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...dbrake-Warning

Holden ****
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 23-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #249
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
AHAHAHA VF handbrake still activates when vehicle is moving. Guy goes to put up window and activates handbrake instead http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...dbrake-Warning

Holden ****
It's purposely designed like that as an emergency brake in case the normal brakes fail. Response from Holden is that it will slow the car gradually, and still allow ABS/ESC etc, so the car can be safely brought to a stop in the event of brake failure. It won't engage fully, or straight away but give warning chimes to allow the driver to deactivate...

Nothing wrong with that in my IMO... Seems like a fantastic park brake/emergency brake should the need arise, i know what braking system i'd prefer if my wife ever had to yank on the handbrake in an emergency! The one that gradually and safely wiped off speed, without potential to lock up rear wheels causing her to lose control...
Old 23-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #250
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How do you figure the the R Spec is a clear winner? Havent these cars both run the 1/4 in the same time?

No one has dyno'd a GTS yet so you cant really say the R Spec is more powerful either.

And even if the R Spec has done a one off better 0-100 time by 1/10th or whatever doesnt change the fact that the GTS is the most complete aussie muscle car ever made and was designed to be more than a one trick pony that is good at going fast in a straight line. Hence the massive brakes, mrc suspension, torque vectoring, oil coolers etc
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #251
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why so much hate?
Old 23-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #252
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
How do you figure the the R Spec is a clear winner? Havent these cars both run the 1/4 in the same time?

No one has dyno'd a GTS yet so you cant really say the R Spec is more powerful either.

And even if the R Spec has done a one off better 0-100 time by 1/10th or whatever doesnt change the fact that the GTS is the most complete aussie muscle car ever made and was designed to be more than a one trick pony that is good at going fast in a straight line. Hence the massive brakes, mrc suspension, torque vectoring, oil coolers etc
Yep, i tend to agree mate... Not sure why so much hate for the HSV. If FPV had done exactly the same as HSV, but badged it a modest 375kw, everyone here would be hailing it as the new GTHO...
Old 23-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #253
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the HSV lovers should just go buy the GTS and leave us all in peace.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
6 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #254
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I enjoy all types of cars, i will never limit myself to one brand or one type. I like to consider all options when forking out money. I've owned new fords, new holdens, and even 4x4s... Not sure what all the angst is about, FPV and HSV both deliver great cars, at good prices for what we get.

Not sure why people feel the need to constantly put down the HSV, just because it's from the other camp? If FPV made exactly the same car, i bet this forum would have a different response.
7 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #255
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And I don't see why everyone feels the need to praise HSV. I don't care if their car has this or that and gadgets and blah blah. The cars are ugly as hell and the brand ******* sucks. They won't get any love from me.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
7 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #256
Uwish

Quote:
And I don't see why everyone feels the need to praise HSV. I don't care if their car has this or that and gadgets and blah blah. The cars are ugly as hell and the brand ******* sucks. They won't get any love from me.

Stazza, This is why most people think Ford owners are *******!
5 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #257
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And I think Holden owners are ****s too so we're even.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
6 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #258
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Wheels Test 4.8sec 0-100klms HSV GTS 430kw
Wheels Test 4.6sec 0-100klms FPV GT R Spec 335kw

Drive Test 4.6sec 0-100klms HSV GTS 430kw
Drive Test NO DATA FPV GT R spec 335kw

CLEAR WINNER - FPV didn't get tested by Drive who's test scenario is obviously different to Wheels so it would have gone faster with them - Best like for Like you can have is Wheels Test vs Wheels Test

Quote:
Correct BUT then you can also say HSV isn't the most powerful either - but the Media has and the AFF Fan Boys have

Quote:
So it should be for $100k

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #259
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why shouldn't a good car get praise... It just sounds so childish that because it's "X" brand, it should be put down...

Each to their own though. At the end of the day, if people don't appreciate what the opposition have brought out, they don't really need to participate in threads about them...

HSV fans should be grateful to FPV, as it was FPV who made them raise the bar... I have no doubt that the new GTS would be what the current R8 SV is, a 340kw clubsport but badged GTS... But, because FPV raised the bar, HSV had too... It's just a shame that Ford Aus is going down, i would have loved to see FPV's response to the GTS.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #260
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what I mean, all this bickering and argument over what, a lousy .1 or .2 of a second quarter mile run. Ridiculous!

Enjoy them both for what they are, brilliant performance, at incredible value for money. Those older members like me will remember the demise and scare mongering of the Phase IV 'coffin on wheels', and if these big horsepower numbers keep growing, the same will happen again.

So, if you got the money, grab one while you can!
4 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #261
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wheels Test 4.8sec 0-100klms HSV GTS 430kw
Wheels Test 4.6sec 0-100klms FPV GT R Spec 335kw

Drive Test 4.6sec 0-100klms HSV GTS 430kw
Drive Test NO DATA FPV GT R spec 335kw

CLEAR WINNER - FPV didn't get tested by Drive who's test scenario is obviously different to Wheels so it would have gone faster with them - Best like for Like you can have is Wheels Test vs Wheels Test

Correct BUT then you can also say HSV isn't the most powerful either - but the Media has and the AFF Fan Boys have

So it should be for $100k
Best like for like you can have is both cars on the same day in the same conditions with the same drivers, which has been done and the GTS was over half a second faster over the 1/4. So does this make the GTS the clear winner?

GTS isnt 100k either its only about 10k more than rrp of a GTP.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #262
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
Stazza, This is why most people think Ford owners are *******!
Hey Uwish! Don't start crying , because you bat for the other team. .
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #263
AD07

Quote:
Great post there....
I actually "dont" see alot of praise for the HSV, oh , sorry.... except for the
smart people on here that can look past a badge, and recognise when ALOT of effort has gone into a car.
And looks are subjective, what appeals to some, may not appeal to others, so that argument is invalid.
But it seems you wouldnt understand that........
Old 23-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #264
blk6t

At the end of the day does it really matter who is faster and just because some mag writer get a 4. something, doesn't mean I will get the same result or anyone else will.

4.6 vs 4.8 times for 0-100, it's so marginal....

I seem to remember the BA GT was very slow when compared to HSV's offerings back in the day as shown in many magazine articles and comparisons, but the GT was usually the better overall "GT" vehicle.

Whilst the GT may be a fractionally faster vehicle over the new GTS, I personally would still consider the new GTS as a better all round large RWD performance sedan, and this coming from a GT owner.....
Old 23-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #265
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Jezuzzz...

Is the womens restroom or something?

Yes, the R-spec is a briliant cat...but the VF GTS is just as amazing, if not more...

Im a ford fan through and through, but I can appriciate what HSV has done. its not just a big engine in a car, its a complete package...

Here I was asuming that Aussies would be happy at not only one, but two supercharged beasts taking on the world...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
8 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #266
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be honest if I was in the market for a new car right now I would over a gt. It's obviously better in every way.

When the new falcon comes out though..... Different story
Old 23-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #267
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t View Post
At the end of the day does it really matter who is faster and just because some mag writer get a 4. something, doesn't mean I will get the same result or anyone else will.

4.6 vs 4.8 times for 0-100, it's so marginal....

I seem to remember the BA GT was very slow when compared to HSV's offerings back in the day as shown in many magazine articles and comparisons, but the GT was usually the better overall "GT" vehicle.

Whilst the GT may be a fractionally faster vehicle over the new GTS, I personally would still consider the new GTS as a better all round large RWD performance sedan, and this coming from a GT owner.....
Yep, i too consider the HSV the better overall package, and even though i am a fan of it, i might not want to spend 100k. So, i'll more than likely opt for a GT, but that doesn't mean i can't like the GTS.
Old 23-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #268
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Best like for like you can have is both cars on the same day in the same conditions with the same drivers, which has been done and the GTS was over half a second faster over the 1/4. So does this make the GTS the clear winner? .
Yep great comparison that was in the wet - went to Heathcote on the weekend and they stopped racing with any drop of Rain as it is too dangerous to race 1/4 mile in the wet - that in itself shows how stupid that test was.

Enough with the lame excuses already

If you don't know how Wheels Test Cars 0-100klms and 1/4 mile maybe you should do some research and this is the reason why the Wheels Test has it .2 second slower.

Lets get this noted that I haven't said the FPV GT Rspec is the best car in the world, the fastest in the world, the most powerful and I am sure you can find things on a Hyundai I30 that is not on a FPV GT Rspec BUT HSV advertised this car as the most powerful Australian Built Car which leads everyone to assume it is the Fastest Australian Built car BUT this is not true

This is what annoys me - sure it has all the gear - sure it's a nice car...............

Same goes with the VF ute thing they took to the Nürburgring and claimed a world record

Same false advertising - if your going to claim it then prove it.................

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:

Last edited by Sorted; 23-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 23-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #269
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the GT-R spec in that test vs the GTS wasn't being driven too its full potential. example my missus pulsar is safer too drive in the wet then my falcon ute. put your foot down in the ute in the wet and see how far you get. just because a cars safer too drive in the wet doesn't mean its faster
Old 23-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #270
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Closed Thread