Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #31
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: Qld flash for cash cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Monty ... I started this thread as a politician bashing thread. Some people take advantage to start cop bashing, but there you go.
Mate its all good, we all have opinions and thats sweet, what makes Australia great. I dont believe anyone in this thread has upset anyone else? Just trying to throw in perspective. You guys think getting a ticket sucks, get one in a police car and enjoy recieving the pineapple raping! It sucks, but thats life. Just cop it on the chin I guess.

In relation to the new cameras, not sure Im a fan but thats govco for us.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #32
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
Cops sitting at roadworks is not an "overtime rort". Most safety procedures employed by road works etc include police in the safety plan as a detterent to speeders. Spending $1000 on a car and cop for a 12 hour overtime shift out of a $100 000 roadwork budget to get people to slow down and keep there workers safer is absolutely worth it.
Really? Like you say,we all have opinions and I certainly respect your take on it..I have no doubt there are policies in place that require police presence during night roadworks,absolutely get that. But we may as well just have a cardboard cut out of a police car there,every police I have seen on roadworks sites are either in the car sleeping,reading the paper or talking to the road workers. Yes,the presence of the car is a deterrent,but I have never seen them actually pursue,book or care about anything that's gone on,and I've seen some pretty dumb crap go down.If it's so dangerous for the road workers why aren't they actively policing the speed limits in these areas with the masses of speeding exceedances that occur? I travel that road a lot,often late at night...actually the remote cameras would be far more active in this situation than the real person. I'm not knocking them,I do respect the police,it's a tough gig and I thank them just the same as I thank every other emergency service provider.. but my opinion is if you have them there and your paying them,well how about some action ...NEVER seen it at roadworks over the last 20 years I've been travelling that road at all hours. I know Govco want return on investment plus interest these days,I've seen our hospital system let family members down in a massive way in recent times,life threatening as a matter of fact,I'm not taking aim at them either,they are overworked and are given poorly assigned duties plus short staffed and as a workforce likely fairly disorganised and make do because they give a stuff,I'm sure cops are in a similar boat. Still doesn't make it right.

Last edited by XByoot; 24-12-2016 at 01:13 AM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #33
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
A number of years ago the late Bill Tucky made an interesting comment.
He said that if you took into account the increasing number of cars on the road every year the actual road toll has gone through the basement.

Back in the 80's (I think) a Melb newspaper ran a road safety campaign called "Declare war on 1034."
1034 was the number of fatalities the previous year. How does that stack up these days with the extra cars on the road now.
Exactly, and that's what is not being taken into account by the anti police/camera brigade. On top of this, there are also the accident that don't result in deaths that need to be factored in before anyone knocks what the authorities do.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #34
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus car safety has come a long way as well. I'm sure half the relatively minor bingles of today would have had the driver impaled by the steering column years ago.
Old 24-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #35
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Nobody put a gun to a persons head and made them be a cop. What they deal with is their problem and they chose it. Don't agree or beleive in what that they have to police? Don't be a cop.
Mate I know what your getting at,if your hearts in it then you put up with the crap,we all do that in our jobs,crap pile bigger than good pile? Time for a new job...but I'm glad someone still puts up their hand to do it. Reckon they'd see stuff that would be pretty ugly for the average punters mind to tolerate. It's there "job" sure,bit like ambos and the fireys,it's there job too,but they must deal with a lot of ugly stuff that is average punters don't want to think about.
Old 24-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #36
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It is not Speed that Kills, it is Morons.
Here is a bunch of Morons that have trouble seeing other vehicles on the road the size of trucks.
God help rest of us in smaller vehicles if a small % of the population can't even see trucks.
You could take 10km/h off all these people and it would still happen.
You can't legislate against idiots. It is blatant cash grabbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJFQWHepSA
Always wondered why govco hasn't made it illegal to cause or have an accident, and have harsh penalties for those who do. Or make car insurance so unbearably expensive that average Joe will be on guard and too afraid to have an accident. Blind 80 year old freddy would be too afraid to get behind the wheel, and 18 year old novices would think to get some defensive driving practice off-road before practicing on the road. Would make everyone think twice to drive tired, drink drive, use their phone while driving or do anything stupid with others around. Surely it would be a towards zero road toll situation before long. The stupid speed kills mantra and enforcement of how fast a vehicle can move, when road safety involves so many other factors, goes nowhere.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #37
jandj

I was coming back from noosa 2 days ago with my 2 sons in the car, and we counted 3 mobile speed cameras.
I can understand the need for speed cameras, now it's just a revenue raising machine.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #38
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"More than 3300 motorists have been fined across Queensland since Friday, including a 72-year-old man who was caught driving allegedly five times over the alcohol limit.

More than 11,000 random breath tests were conducted across the state with 68 drivers charged with drink driving, including a Burleigh Heads man, 72, who allegedly returned a Breath Alcohol Concentration of 0.257, more than five times the legal limit, at Burleigh Waters on Friday." http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...24-gthmd1.html
How many were just over the limit? ie : up to 5km/hr over ?????? Police wont say...
Old 25-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #39
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
Police dont have quotas. Full stop, the end. Doesnt happen.

Looks like a duck, smells like a duck and tastes like a duck then it's a duck.

Whether they're called quotas or kpi's a or whatever the latest tech term for it is, it's all the same thing.
Police working traffic have certain targets to meet every shift, whether or not it's x amount of random stops, targeted stops or actual infringements, it's a quota by another name.

Most people that work for larger companies or govt departments have to deal with the same thing, it's just that the police doing it is less palatable to joe average because it generally means it's costing someone money when they've broken the law.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #40
The Monty
Just slidin'

Saw one on the Gateway/Pacific merge the other day. Stand out like dogs clackers.

Last edited by The Monty; 25-12-2016 at 07:14 PM.
The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #41
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5 View Post
Maybe it will reduce the toll -who knows. One thing I do know is that you dont speed you dont get fined. Put em on every street corner for all I care. If im speeding fine me whatever. If im stupid enough to want to throw my money away who cares. But please dont complain abot cameras or where they are placed. You do the right thing you dont get caught. Simples....
Been caught plenty of times over the years and paid the price. I just suck it up and move on. However now I am in my 50s ticket accrual is far less than before.
Hopefully less deaths on the road this coming Christmas and new year. 1 is too many.
Cheers
They finally won you over did they? I'm not budging. They are a trap to steal money, not a safety enhancement. I'm all for safe driving, but this is not the way to do it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #42
damo6
turbo pilot

Im in nsw atm.had a speed camera set up right out front where im staying.went and had a sticky at it.at least down here they give you a chance to spot them, yellow marked signs front and rear,vehicle covered in hi vis markings.what do we get in qld? Fixed cameras with one small sign miles before the actual camera, completely unmarked vans and now mobile cameras the look like roadworks generators.nah.. they're not out to get you in qld are they, its for road safety thats what the camera signs say remember?
Old 26-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #43
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
They finally won you over did they? I'm not budging. They are a trap to steal money, not a safety enhancement. I'm all for safe driving, but this is not the way to do it.
No ones won me over buddy. You just keep on winging about it and keep getting caught. Your money not mine.
Dont speed - dont get caught.
Not a hard concept to grasp is it?
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #44
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Always wondered why govco hasn't made it illegal to cause or have an accident, and have harsh penalties for those who do.
Most car accidents are caused by somebody being stupid ......... unfortunately there are no laws relating to stupidity being illegal. This also refers to bushwalkers who get lost, rock fishermen, surfers who can't swim, drivers who think river crossings in flood are only 5cm deep, disregarding crocodile warnings, ..... etc, etc.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #45
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Most car accidents are caused by somebody being stupid ......... unfortunately there are no laws relating to stupidity being illegal.
No, but we do have laws that cover acts of negligence, yet when they're applied, the punishment is never anywhere near stiff enough. Its ridiculous the lengths they go to pursue and prosecute acts with a potential to cause harm (speeding, DUI), but actually cause a crash (even if only a fender bender) and you seldom get more than a slap on the wrist.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #46
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
Im in nsw atm.had a speed camera set up right out front where im staying.went and had a sticky at it.at least down here they give you a chance to spot them, yellow marked signs front and rear,vehicle covered in hi vis markings.what do we get in qld? Fixed cameras with one small sign miles before the actual camera, completely unmarked vans and now mobile cameras the look like roadworks generators.nah.. they're not out to get you in qld are they, its for road safety thats what the camera signs say remember?
Look at it another way.
They put up a sign miles before the actual camera, so you have to slow down that whole time if you don't want to get fined.

Any car you see on the side of the road could be a mobile camera, so you probably shouldn't speed, just in case.

That's got to be more of a deterrent than the fixed cameras where people hit the anchors to 20 below the speed limit before flooring it again right after.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #47
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No ones won me over buddy. You just keep on winging about it and keep getting caught. Your money not mine.
Dont speed - dont get caught.
Not a hard concept to grasp is it?
And let me guess your God.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #48
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
And let me guess your God.
Not really.lol.
However I consider myself smarter than you.
Which is quite obvious.
Old 26-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #49
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not really.lol.
Which is quite obvious.
LOL! Yes! You must be smarter than me. Your the Wyle E Coyote. Super Genius. The Coyote that couldn't catch the Road Runner. Beep Beep!
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #50
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Not really.lol.
Which is quite obvious.
There should have been a comma behind the word however. Anyhow, the case I bought this arvo isn't going to drink it's self. Atleast I won't have to fang it down to the bottlo for a refill.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #51
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
LOL! Yes! You must be smarter than me. Your the Wyle E Coyote. Super Genius. The Coyote that couldn't catch the Road Runner. Beep Beep!

Love your work. Glad we know where we stand.
Enjoy christmas and Ny buddy.
Just dont get caught speeding lol.
Old 26-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #52
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Love your work. Glad we know where we stand.
Enjoy christmas and Ny buddy.
Just dont get caught speeding lol.
LOL! All the best to you and have a great New Year.
Old 26-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #53
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Speed camera at the bottom of a hill (hotspot) . Yeh right. Instead of wasting time with speed cameras, just use a printing press to make the CASH....

Its not the speed. Its now the in-car distractions that cause the accidents.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #54
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I am yet to see any conclusive evidence showing how receiving a speeding fine in the mail several days after the event has done anything to directly prevent a fatality.
Old 26-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #55
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Exactly, and that's what is not being taken into account by the anti police/camera brigade. On top of this, there are also the accident that don't result in deaths that need to be factored in before anyone knocks what the authorities do.
But nor is it taken into account by the police, government or road safety experts. We, as drivers, are continually subjected to accusations of irresponsibility, told we're not getting the message, and used as justification for ever more draconian enforcement.

You cant have it both ways. Either things are getting better, or they're not. Police want to take credit for improvements while telling us we're getting worse.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #56
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yesterday, we went to the Sunshine Coast for lunch with in-laws.

Our Bruce Hwy on ramp was chockers and traffic on the hwy was stop start for about a kilometre until we saw the cause.

One of the new trailer cams was doing it's duty saving lives.

Having given it long and hard thought, it occurs to me that we now have the technology for everyone to have a win.

The life saving cams will still gain revenue for govco BUT surely if the geniuses operating these life saving devices place them where it's impossible to speed (because of traffic volumes) and they, in fact, slow traffic to a crawl, or to a stop, surely we could be credited with the extra time it takes to get to our destination?

On top of that maybe 10% extra allowance for being ****** around by officious morons?

So, if our time to Noosa is usually 1hr 20mins but because our lives were saved it takes 2 hours 20 mins I'm thinking that it's reasonable that we are permitted to do 160 - 180kph (when traffic thins out) to make up for lost time?

I can't see a downside...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #57
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
So, if our time to Noosa is usually 1hr 20mins but because our lives were saved it takes 2 hours 20 mins I'm thinking that it's reasonable that we are permitted to do 160 - 180kph (when traffic thins out) to make up for lost time?

I can't see a downside...
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Old 27-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #58
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #59
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Suprised some entripeniral type hasn't towed the trailer down the road.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #60
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Suprised some entripeniral type hasn't towed the trailer down the road.
Probably got cameras watching the cameras lol