Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Default FG Fuel Sender/Float Orientation

Hi

I have a 2007 Series II BF Ghia (which I've had since new) and have had to replace the fuel sender from inside the tank. However, upon removal I've found out that my car has an FG sender. There has been quite a few parts over the years that I have found to be FG and doesn't match my VIN. This drives the parts guys nuts.

However, as the sender / float was different to what I expected when I reached inside the tank (you sort of have to do this blind) I lost track of the orientation of the assembly when rotating to retrieve it through the fuel pump opening.

So my question is, does anyone have a sketch / drawing of the FG tank that shows the orientation of the sender / float assembly? This would help me greatly.

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: FG Fuel Sender/Float Orientation

I can’t help with a pic unfortunately, but it can only go in and seat one way so you may have to give it a crack and see how you go.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2023, 05:53 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: FG Fuel Sender/Float Orientation

This may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY3M7E_ppE as may this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmqVXpaRfdQ
Old 13-09-2023, 11:20 AM   #4
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
I can’t help with a pic unfortunately, but it can only go in and seat one way so you may have to give it a crack and see how you go.
Thanks Phantom

I'm just not sure which direction the float points when installing, as the assembly is sort of spring loaded, I want to make sure that it's at least pointing in the right direction when I start installing (front ,back, drivers side or passengers side), otherwise I might risk bending the float wire arm.

Swampy
Old 13-09-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Thanks Aussiblue.

Unfortunately those videos only show fuel pump removal and not the fuel sender / float assembly.

Thanks anyway.

Swampy
Old 13-09-2023, 09:18 PM   #6
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swamp - the part for late BF2 was specific to that car so it should come up under VIN when your Ford dealer searches it properly - however, this part is obsolete as of a couple of years ago.

I put a FG tank in my BA F6 (has a better / bigger swirl pot design), and had to use the specific part which I bought new at the time. It can only be installed one way, and when installed will move to the correct position. From memory, you have to compress a shock absorber looking device and insert it in to the correct slots inside the tank, when you do that it'll just move to where it needs to be.

I'll see if I can find the part number. I'd expect June or Sept 07 onwards BF to all have the same sender. These will be the ones with the push ring pump retainer instead of screw down.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: FG Fuel Sender/Float Orientation

See if this is of any assistance.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=48

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #8
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Swamp - the part for late BF2 was specific to that car so it should come up under VIN when your Ford dealer searches it properly - however, this part is obsolete as of a couple of years ago.

I put a FG tank in my BA F6 (has a better / bigger swirl pot design), and had to use the specific part which I bought new at the time. It can only be installed one way, and when installed will move to the correct position. From memory, you have to compress a shock absorber looking device and insert it in to the correct slots inside the tank, when you do that it'll just move to where it needs to be.

I'll see if I can find the part number. I'd expect June or Sept 07 onwards BF to all have the same sender. These will be the ones with the push ring pump retainer instead of screw down.
Thanks FPV.

Yep, mine definitely has the push ring pump retainer. However the fuel gauge sender definitely looks like an FG. I have managed to buy a second hand FG unit, so if I get a chance this weekend, I'll swap it out and see if they are the same.

Funny thing about my VIN as I had mentioned previously, I have had a few different parts from FORD to match my VIN that don't fit. Funny enough, one of them was the fuel pump module. They gave me the type that was screw down and said that defiantly matched my VIN, which of course didn't fit.

It's all a bit weird....

Swampy
Old 16-09-2023, 10:11 AM   #9
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Thanks Phantom

The pics and tutorial are great. The pictured unit certainly looks like mine. Hopefully I get a chance to swap it out this week end.

Swampy
Old 19-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #10
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

So, just a quick update on my situation.

I managed to change out the fuel sender OK with the FG unit. While the FG unit is a slightly different in the orientation / angle of the float to look at, the dimensions from mounting point to float centers at low and high were about the same, so I went with that.

I completely cleaned out the tank, wiped it out, even vacuumed up the crap in the bottom (my last float wire was rusty and dropped scale when removing).

Put it all back together, added fuel and the gauge is still not working. I checked the unit that I removed and resistance varied from about 40ohms to 240 for full to empty, therefore the sender was probably OK.

So I guess that means that I have a faulty fuel gauge? Have others had trouble with that and how do you go about a fix?

Swampy
Old 19-09-2023, 02:21 PM   #11
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FG one doesn’t work in the BA I tried the same thing. Before putting it in the tank I plugged it in and checked it and various points and it didn’t read to the cluster. Plugged a BA BF one in and it did. You definitely need the BF2 specific part for it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #12
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FG Fuel Sender/Float Orientation

BAF29275A was the part number.

Have confirmed this part went in to cars from 30/09/2007. So you will need a sender from a sedan built between then and end of BF2 production.

Old 20-09-2023, 11:49 AM   #13
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
BAF29275A was the part number.

Have confirmed this part went in to cars from 30/09/2007. So you will need a sender from a sedan built between then and end of BF2 production.

Thanks FPV. Your advice is very much appreciated.

I'll see if I can get one.

Swampy