Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Scruba
15+ Years!

Default AU2 Fairmont Ghia Head Unit Replacement

Hi all. My Fairmont Ghia has the factory sat nav in the dash.

I want to replace the CD changer with an aftermarket head unit with bluetooth as a minimum.

There's a plethora of units available with the looms to connect directly to the vehicle however, having the factory sat nav I'm looking for some guidance as to will the aftermarket hu and loom kit connect or can I expect issues.

My finger is pointing to the loom the aftermarket loom will connect to. 2nd loom I'm guessing is the sat nav connection to the factory hu?

Can I expect other issues with regards to amp etc as part of the premium factory system when fitting an aftermarket hu?

TIA. 20210727_205305.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU2 Fairmont Ghia Head Unit Replacement

i presume you want the new HU to work with the steering wheel controls yes?
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
Scruba
15+ Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
i presume you want the new HU to work with the steering wheel controls yes?
Not important for now if not a simple setup

Work in progress

Old 28-07-2021, 05:14 AM   #4
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruba View Post
Hi all. My Fairmont Ghia has the factory sat nav in the dash.

I want to replace the CD changer with an aftermarket head unit with bluetooth as a minimum.

There's a plethora of units available with the looms to connect directly to the vehicle however, having the factory sat nav I'm looking for some guidance as to will the aftermarket hu and loom kit connect or can I expect issues.

My finger is pointing to the loom the aftermarket loom will connect to. 2nd loom I'm guessing is the sat nav connection to the factory hu?

Can I expect other issues with regards to amp etc as part of the premium factory system when fitting an aftermarket hu?
Do a search on here re. the amp, you will have to snip one wire on the factory loom that goes out of the factory hu and to the factory amp... and add an AV connector/end so it can plug into the aftermarket hu.

Offhand i cant remember which wire it was, (green maybe?) i remember I bought the AV ends that have a grub screw so you can put the wire in there and tighten it down. Alternatively you can just run 2 new AV cables from the hu to your factory amp along/under the sill covers. (Series 2's only have 1 AV wire hooked up but all the amps ive seen have the 2 jacks on them.)

Ive put a single din hu in the satnav fascia using the aerpro single din plastic that I bought on ebay, bought their loom also to do the job and my factory steering wheel buttons work with a pioneer hu, now i have bluetooth, hands free phone etc etc.

Although my car wasnt a factory satnav car so cant help you there, ive put a satnav fascia in it I got from an LTD and a different screen in the satnav part.

around 13 seconds you can see the single din hu...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ3BoEamrao

I like the extra storage space I have now, and it sounds better despite the factory amp and speakers remaining.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Scruba
15+ Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Do a search on here re. the amp, you will have to snip one wire on the factory loom that goes out of the factory hu and to the factory amp... and add an AV connector/end so it can plug into the aftermarket hu.

Offhand i cant remember which wire it was, (green maybe?) i remember I bought the AV ends that have a grub screw so you can put the wire in there and tighten it down. Alternatively you can just run 2 new AV cables from the hu to your factory amp along/under the sill covers. (Series 2's only have 1 AV wire hooked up but all the amps ive seen have the 2 jacks on them.)

Ive put a single din hu in the satnav fascia using the aerpro single din plastic that I bought on ebay, bought their loom also to do the job and my factory steering wheel buttons work with a pioneer hu, now i have bluetooth, hands free phone etc etc.

Although my car wasnt a factory satnav car so cant help you there, ive put a satnav fascia in it I got from an LTD and a different screen in the satnav part.

around 13 seconds you can see the single din hu...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ3BoEamrao

I like the extra storage space I have now, and it sounds better despite the factory amp and speakers remaining.
Wicked set up. Cheers.

Work in progress