Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #91
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Oh dear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
I have seen official stats presented by a policeman that without doubt supports their action. The graphs showed with the introduction of various police road focus's that deaths and serious injuries have dropped.
I'm willing to bet there were some cherry-picked stats there, and some not very rigorous statistical analysis. For example, when the NSW RTA trialled 50 zones, they pronounced them a success despite average traffic speeds still being well over 50, and only fell by tiny margin (nowhere near enough to impact stopping distances significantly). What their analysis completely omitted was traffic migration away from these 50 zones, no analysis of the increase in crash rate on the roads the traffic migrated to, and no accounting for the program of introducing traffic-calming devices on a number of the 50 zone trial roads by local councils at the same time.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #92
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In regards to stopping distances.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Dr...-vehicles.aspx
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #93
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
That doesn't seem right, stopping distance for a car at 60kph is 73m? am I reading it wrong?

says here its 45m and that includes 25m of reaction time.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf...istances/graph

personally Id like to think I could pull up in much much less
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #94
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Can you do better than a 1.5sec reaction time? ….
Old 10-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #95
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
In an emergency, I would think so.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #96
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
157 metres from100km/h ??? One and half lengths of a football field ??? Really, on a wet day, with bald tyres, and brakes on one wheel ??

Have a look here ………. https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/t...15-dry-braking

Yes, I realise that Luffy knows a bit on how to drive, and he had good tyres on a new car, but the Qld distances are four times longer, and quite unbelievable for normal circumstances.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #97
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
yep HV brakes have got better, much better, disc for an example

well I beg to differ on your assertion, truck drivers are on the road 8, 10 12 hours a day plying their trade, you are trying to tell me that the occasional driver has better skills - hmmm???? Don't judge the masses by the actions of a few
I'd make the point that a truck driver who has been on the road for long hours is probably fatigued ,and if anything would be more likely to have normal to worse reaction times than a driver who has only done a short trip.

But there are numpties in all sorts of different vehicles. How some people even get a licence is beyond me.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #98
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course.
a soccer Goalie has about 0.3 secs to react
They say Lewis Hamilton has a 0.2 sec reaction
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #99
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course.
LOL, sorry, I thought sarcasm would be obvious I could do better than 1.5sec on fentanyl. On the athletics track, 0.1-0.2sec is pretty typical. I'd be astounded if someone needed more than 0.5sec, and would question whether they should be operating any sort of machinery.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #100
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
157 metres from100km/h ??? One and half lengths of a football field ??? Really, on a wet day, with bald tyres, and brakes on one wheel ??

Have a look here ………. https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/t...15-dry-braking

Yes, I realise that Luffy knows a bit on how to drive, and he had good tyres on a new car, but the Qld distances are four times longer, and quite unbelievable for normal circumstances.
I would use those figures as a comparison between trucks and cars for the benefit for those that think a fully laden truck can out brake a car.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #101
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I'd make the point that a truck driver who has been on the road for long hours is probably fatigued ,and if anything would be more likely to have normal to worse reaction times than a driver who has only done a short trip.

But there are numpties in all sorts of different vehicles. How some people even get a licence is beyond me.
Are you fatigued after a normal days work?

Are you thinking about interstate truck drivers only? it is important that you realise that less than 15% of trucks go interstate, over 85% drive around within the State or intra-state
Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #102
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Of course.
1 to 1.5 seconds is about the average reaction time, those stats have been around a very long time

This is an auto forum so obviously there are people here who are passionate about cars, but take the blinkers off and think about "average" for a minute, old folk, young folk with no interest in cars, migrants, soccer mums whose only driving is to drop off the kids etc etc etc etc
Old 10-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #103
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
That doesn't seem right, stopping distance for a car at 60kph is 73m? am I reading it wrong?

says here its 45m and that includes 25m of reaction time.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf...istances/graph

sounds about right for the "average" driver
Old 10-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #104
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Been there and done that have you ?
Old 10-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #105
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have seen official stats presented by a policeman that without doubt supports their action. The graphs showed with the introduction of various police road focus's that deaths and serious injuries have dropped.

People need to remember where we have come from. The road toll in 1970 for Victoria only was 1071, last year in Victoria it was around 212, yes there has been improvements in roads, and massive improvements in vehicle safety, but the enforcement has also contributed, considering the amount of cars on the roads now versus 1970
I'm sure policing helps people pull their heads in and drive better, but it seems too much focus is put onto things that are hardly the worst driving habits.

I'm all for road safety. Driving country roads at night I worry about the other drivers coming towards me. I always watch them for anything usual. Veering out of the middle of the lane, delayed dimming of high beam, pretty much anything that isn't 100% normal. Ill be ready to drive off into a paddock to avoid a head on. Worse part is I have work colleagues who have actually done this to avoid a head on in the middle of the night. The other driver was so polite they kept driving.
I think there's not much worse then passing an oncoming vehicle at 2:38am, on a bridge, especially if it's a truck. They cross that centre line there is nothing you can do. I really don't worry whether they are doing 97km/h or 110km/h. Minor speed variations is pretty low down on my list of concerns.

You see it all the time. Some idiot high on drugs, .22 BAC, suspended licence, unroadworthy car will crash into a tree at 2am and kill themselves and some cop will get on TV and say "People need to slow down this holiday season"
Pretty sure almost every media release by the police with that "slow down" quote was always in response to a crash that had nothing to do with speeding.
I'm not saying speed is never an issue, it just seems that it's focused on a lot compared to all the other issues we see everyday.

Quote:
LOL, sorry, I thought sarcasm would be obvious I could do better than 1.5sec on fentanyl. On the athletics track, 0.1-0.2sec is pretty typical. I'd be astounded if someone needed more than 0.5sec, and would question whether they should be operating any sort of machinery.
Still not the worst I have heard. Last time I saw this topic on this forum a member said the normal reaction time was 3 to 4 seconds.
If you're zoned out I would hope your reaction time was a second at the most. That's actually a lot of time while driving.

Quote:
Are you fatigued after a normal days work?
Not allowed to drive while fatigued the police say. It's not good for safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed taxi View Post
on the very same rd Anzac Ave further up at Mango hill they have changed the speed limit from 80 to 70 why ??
I noticed in NSW they love doing major roadworks and making a road 1000% safer, then dropping the speed limit by 10-20km/h once the work is done.
Funnily enough you then see HP there every second day doing speed checks even though I had never once seen HP in that location in the past 15 years.
Coincidence I guess.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #106
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

He's waiting for this old codger: https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...27138871092451
Old 10-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #107
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't believe that truck drivers reaction times are any better than anyone else.

What I do think is that the experience garnered through long hours/long distances is the ability to anticipate a likely series of events before they actually happen.

We've probably all had a "feeling" about a car on the side of the road just before it chucks a u-ey in front of us.

I think that sense is heightened in experienced drivers.

Add to that the fact they have much better forward vision and need to be more attentive due to size, etc.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #108
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Alternative link for that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQKlbloIu1Q
Old 11-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #109
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
I don't believe that truck drivers reaction times are any better than anyone else.

What I do think is that the experience garnered through long hours/long distances is the ability to anticipate a likely series of events before they actually happen.

We've probably all had a "feeling" about a car on the side of the road just before it chucks a u-ey in front of us.

Add to that the fact they have much better forward vision and need to be more attentive due to size, etc.
driven many trucks?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #110
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Bloody hell, the one car that looked like it might take out the Gopher was the police vehicle....was there any need to dart down the inside at speed like that?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #111
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

He was a missing 92 year old https://www.9news.com.au/national/ne...7-cf451e33f7ad
Old 11-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #112
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
driven many trucks?
Somewhere around 2 million kms worth.

Why?

Old 11-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #113
hayseed

Quote:

^^^^^^^^Plus one to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #114
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Not allowed to drive while fatigued the police say. It's not good for safety.
the question was not particularly about driving, if it was I would have said so
Old 12-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #115
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
so, what you are saying is the people who ply their trade for 8, 10 and 12 hours a day are not going to be better skilled than a hobbyist who do it 1, 2 maybe and I mean maybe 4 hours per day?

What trade are you? Are very part time hobbyist's as good at you are your trade? Just think about it for a second

and I notice you have changed your tune from HV drivers being no different from any other road user, to adding things they are going to be better at
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #116
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I suspect someone who has done million plus kms of driving would be much more able to predict what's going to happen around them, than someone who does 5000km a year.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #117
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

I think the two go hand in hand, someone said before that Lewis Hamilton has a 0.2s reaction time, but that's because he is practiced at expecting a particular event to take place, the start of a race, average joe may never need reflexes like that and so they spend most of their day in their comfort zone until something unexpected happens which they aren't prepared for.
As you say, heavy vehicle drivers see a lot more of what the general driving public have to offer and so whilst behind the wheel they are continually expecting the unexpected and as a result have 'practice' at sharpening their reaction times, not to Lewis Hamilton's level, but certainly better than many others.
Im not as experienced as some of our career drivers but I know from my time behind the wheel that the heightened sense of attention required keeps you in anticipation and ready to react.
It transfers to everyday driving in that im continually scanning the road ahead for likely hazards and at the end of a long day, an interstate trip etc. I am exhausted from the experience.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #118
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so, what you are saying is the people who ply their trade for 8, 10 and 12 hours a day are not going to be better skilled than a hobbyist who do it 1, 2 maybe and I mean maybe 4 hours per day?
Reaction time is not a skill per se, its a physiological response. It can be trained, but we're talking about improving it from say 0.3sec to 0.2sec, or making it more consistent. Where experience matters is anticipation - learning what warrants a reaction and what does not.

Considering how unhealthy the average truck driver is, I'd honestly be very surprised if their reaction times are anything to write home about. OTOH, their ability to respond appropriately, I would expect to be above average.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #119
ronwest

Quote:

What trade are you? Are very part time hobbyist's as good at you are your trade? Just think about it for a second

and I notice you have changed your tune from HV drivers being no different from any other road user, to adding things they are going to be better at
Jeez, it can't be that difficult, can it?

Are we talking about skills or are we talking about reaction time?

They are not the same thing.

Yes I agree that someone who does more of something is likely to have more skills in that arena than a novice.

No, I disagree that the experienced person necessarily has a quicker reaction time.

Yes I think that anticipation goes with experience.

I can't make my view any clearer but in any case it's not written in stone that you and I have to agree on anything so I'm happy to have you disagree.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #120
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Jeez, it can't be that difficult, can it?

Are we talking about skills or are we talking about reaction time?

They are not the same thing.

Yes I agree that someone who does more of something is likely to have more skills in that arena than a novice.

No, I disagree that the experienced person necessarily has a quicker reaction time.

Yes I think that anticipation goes with experience.

I can't make my view any clearer but in any case it's not written in stone that you and I have to agree on anything so I'm happy to have you disagree.
All good here, mate. Trevs probably pssd you have more miles up and experience behind the wheel.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: