Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2023, 10:48 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ute buying

With family situations I dont have the freedom to be away from home for a week or so
how does one select a vehicle when you are 8 hours drive north westish of Adelaide and their are private sales in Victoria. How could I know I am not be sold a banger. Looking at FG11 XR6 utes.
If they are through Carsales.com can I be guarranteed there is no loans on the said utes and the same with damage

advice please
Old 04-12-2023, 11:25 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: ute buying

Car10002 is that you?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 12:04 AM   #3
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

..��..
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 01:38 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
With family situations I dont have the freedom to be away from home for a week or so
how does one select a vehicle when you are 8 hours drive north westish of Adelaide and their are private sales in Victoria. How could I know I am not be sold a banger. Looking at FG11 XR6 utes.
If they are through Carsales.com can I be guarranteed there is no loans on the said utes and the same with damage

advice please
Safest way in that situation is to buy from a dealer.

Private sale, for a small fee you can do a check on the car you are interested in to make sure it's not encumbered (REVS).

For physical condition there are no guarantees. Just the photos and the word of the seller.

I believe there are brokers around that will check out cars for you but you pay for the privilege.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #5
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I've used redbook independant check on a ute bought from a dealer before. I'm in Vic and the car was in Sydney. The mechanic was great and the inspection was very thorough. He even picked up that the front end had a respray but could not see any signs of repairs having been carried out.

Can't remember the cost, but when you're spending circa $15k on a vehicle, I think it's a sound investment.

The other thing I do, assuming the car has a service history, is contact the company that did the last service and talk to them about the condition of the vehicle. Again, I've had pretty good success with this approach, too. If buying from a dealer, I also try and contact the previous owner. At that point, they have no investment in the outcome, so I've found they'll be pretty open and honest with you.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2023, 11:46 AM   #6
Swordie

I'd use a reputable organisation or company to do do a car pre-puchase inspection.

Here is link to Tips for Buying a Used Car fom Budget Direct
https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/car-...-used-car.html. It has a link to confirm the owner of the car by going through Budget Direct's free Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) search.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2023, 11:51 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s no guarantee that last ute’s fate won’t be replicated. Maybe set a threshold of “it will do just fine” instead of worrying too much.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yep as mentioned arrange a pre check even a private sale its no prob and peace of mind.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 12:35 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The other thing, is it worth asking the more savvy Ford wreckers in SA how hard it would be to “petrolise” an LPG ute? Maybe it’s becoming an option now due to overall scarcity.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Could you maybe get a forum member to take a quick look for you for cosmetics and basic mechanical condition and if it checks out then maybe pay someone like RAA or the equivalent to give you a thorough report.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 01:01 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The other thing, is it worth asking the more savvy Ford wreckers in SA how hard it would be to “petrolise” an LPG ute? Maybe it’s becoming an option now due to overall scarcity.
Athol Park Ford wreckers would be the go to in that case.
Certainly worth asking the question.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 01:11 PM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dhrus old stomping ground was Ford Spares down Lonsdale they are a good mob.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:40 PM   #13
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
fuel tank & possibly mounts, both fuel lines, intake manifold, engine loom, left rear loom for petrol pump etc, maybe pcm, not sure on dash loom .. possibly missed something¿.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #14
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
fuel tank & possibly mounts, both fuel lines, intake manifold, engine loom, left rear loom for petrol pump etc, maybe pcm, not sure on dash loom .. possibly missed something¿.
thanks but bad idea, 2 reasons
1, down to 2 LPG suppliers in town and Wollies stop when their licence comes up for renewal.
2. Ive had white vehicles for 30 odd years. In my senior years I want something that ticks my enjoyment boxes not practical use. therefore the kinetic blue is what I hunker for.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:16 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You’re not reading him right. That’s a list of the basics to make an LPG ute run on straight petrol. Then you can drive fearlessly (roos notwithstanding).
4 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2023, 04:12 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
2. Ive had white vehicles for 30 odd years. In my senior years I want something that ticks my enjoyment boxes not practical use. therefore the kinetic blue is what I hunker for.
Must be a certain age thing, first Cav now you want the blue chick magnet.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2023, 07:36 PM   #17
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: I do not want the chickie babes

another Q how many private sales provide finance? or is this someone selling after 'work hours?'
I would have though if private you are jo blow trying to sell your privately owned vehicle, but when finance is available I want to know how private the seller really is?

Last edited by Tonz; 05-12-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Tonz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 08:08 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I personally would not lend my privates to buy a car. Obviously, you are entitled to your own choices. 🙂
Old 05-12-2023, 08:14 PM   #19
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
thanks but bad idea, 2 reasons
1, down to 2 LPG suppliers in town and Wollies stop when their licence comes up for renewal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
You’re not reading him right. That’s a list of the basics to make an LPG ute run on straight petrol. Then you can drive fearlessly (roos notwithstanding).

Tonz - as Mr. Bender mentioned .... it was a reply to Mr. Benders previous comment re changing a LPG only ute to petrol only ute.

i'm not concerned what colour your next ute is - that is your personal preferance.

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 08:17 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
another Q how many private sales provide finance? or is this someone selling after 'work hours?'
I would have though if private you are jo blow trying to sell your privately owned vehicle, but when finance is available I want to know how private the seller really is?
Is that through carsales?

I think I've seen that as well, where the ad says finance available, but it's a private seller.

It's probably nothing to do with the seller. Perhaps carsales pay the seller and provide finance to the buyer?? Never looked in to it.

I don't think it's the actual seller offering you the option of paying in instalments.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Tonz: Did you buy anything?
Old 12-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #22
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yup
fg11 xr6 148k 1 owner. Waa picked up from gold coast 30 minutes ago.