Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
screamingkiwi
Starter Motor

Default Focus LT - hole in engine block

Hi Folks,

My son's girlfriend just brought a nice used 2007 Focus 2.0ltr. It has reasonably low 40 kms and is in great condition.

A couple of days after she brought it it died on her on the road and she had to get it towed. She said it was a dramatic bang and steam and it stopped. She doesn't think she ran over anything. There are obvious signs of oil leak and when I had a look today I found a hole about the size of a 50c piece in the front side of the engine block.

It looks like something in the engine has blown out. I just want to check;
- this is a breakage and not supposed to be there
- what is the best way to progress - complete engine replacement, short block etc

Thansk guys

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

screamingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Default Re: Focus LT - hole in engine block

She's dead. Chuck in the bin job.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

That's a catastrophic engine failure; a second hand complete engine from a wreckers is likely the cheapest option.
Old 15-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Um, not familiar with Focus engines, but it's munted. Won't be a viable option to repair on the cheap at all. 2nd hand motor from the wreckers would be the best bet, but only a bet as you really don't know the history of the replacement engine. I'd hazard a guess and say she should be right as wreckers usually honour some sort of warranty.

Any chance the young lass bought it from a yard with a short term warranty? If not then I guess she's up for some very unwanted expense.

Good luck!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
screamingkiwi
Starter Motor

Thanks, suspected it was toast. Will look around Sydney for a motor and someone to install.
screamingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Just from an "academic" perspective, it would be interesting to know if the vehicle lost it's oil and or coolant before this catastrophic failure and what engine part exited or tried to exit through that hole. Probably a connecting rod.

Last edited by aussiblue; 15-12-2018 at 11:05 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

[QUOTE=screamingkiwi;6229060]Hi Folks,

My son's girlfriend just brought a nice used 2007 Focus 2.0ltr. It has reasonably low 40 kms and is in great condition.

A couple of days after she brought it it died on her on the road and she had to get it towed. She said it was a dramatic bang and steam and it stopped. She doesn't think she ran over anything. There are obvious signs of oil leak and when I had a look today I found a hole about the size of a 50c piece in the front side of the engine block.

It looks like something in the engine has blown out. I just want to check;
- this is a breakage and not supposed to be there
- what is the best way to progress - complete engine replacement, short block etc

Thansk guys

Big hole looks punched out from the inside.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
McWombo
Starter Motor

That’s a pretty astonishing bit of engine damage there! How exactly does a modern Ford engine with 40,000 kms on the dial do that to itself?

I would love to know what caused that, but I guess we’re not likely to ever find out...
McWombo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 2007 LT petrol engine was a mazda engine was it not?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post