Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #1081
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

A simple break down is - Fat doesn't make you fat - Carbs make you fat.

My diet is about 40/40/20 PFC. Carbs in my diet come from fruit and vegetables, and I keep my fruit to max 2 serves a day. Im pretty lean, pretty fit and pretty strong. I'd look at cutting carbs before I ever thought of dropping fats.

Protein is essential. Fat in your diet is essential. There is no such thing as an essential carb. Your body can make carbs from protein - its called gluconeogenesis.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #1082
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yes carbs were my biggest enemy. However since i want to lose the weight at a decent rate i have reduced my fat intake as well. Down to 90.5 now.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #1083
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyxe
A simple break down is - Fat doesn't make you fat - Carbs make you fat.

My diet is about 40/40/20 PFC. Carbs in my diet come from fruit and vegetables, and I keep my fruit to max 2 serves a day. Im pretty lean, pretty fit and pretty strong. I'd look at cutting carbs before I ever thought of dropping fats.

Protein is essential. Fat in your diet is essential. There is no such thing as an essential carb. Your body can make carbs from protein - its called gluconeogenesis.
Carb's do not make you Fat, Excesive calories against expenditure make you Fat.

At that ratio I believe your body would be eating itself, not enough Carb's full stop, Carb's are the most important nutrient for the body as a fuel cell.
To say Carb's are non essential is ignorant, as I said it is the most important fuel cell, if you don't eat Carb's in larger number's then the other's , you will not got fit, you will not get strong, but you might get lean, very lean because your body will be eating itself looking for nutrient's.

Anybody wanting to loose weight, your best bet is to gain weight, yes that's right, gain weight as in muscle, as the more muscle you have the more calories your burn and the better you feel, it's not about the number on the scales, it's about how you look and feel, your body fat index.

some people might think that just because they weigh 70-80 kg and lean they are healthy....WRONG.. they are the prime candicates for heart problem's etc as they eat crap because the think they can get away with it cause they are lean.

A solid big strong person that eat's healthy in order to gain weight/muscle and eat's all the right nutrient's that the body need's will be healthier then a slim person.

Eat right and eat to your goal's and lifestyle.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #1084
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should also caveat that with my blood work is also great.

Trans fats are bloody terrible for you. Don't eat them. Saturated fats aren't the best, but should not be avoided - in the case of red meat you can't avoid them.

I've eaten this way for quite a while. People get stuck in to much of a mind set that carbs are important and need to be eaten in large %s to get anywhere.

Its a massive cultural problem, (eating grains), however, each to their own. I spend a fair bit of my time looking at this stuff, not for a job, but a hobby. I agree protein works better when ingested with carbs, if timed correctly, hence post workout nutrition is very important. That'd be ignorant of me to not admit.

At low carbs, your body doesn't eat itself. Like you noted, its due to lack of calories. At low protein intake your body does. I eat ~2900 calories a day.

We both, we all agree, that its important that the food you do eat is timed right and not rubbish.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #1085
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carbs are not essential - look at tribes/cultures historically raised without them. Namely groups in ice covered areas where incidences of CVD are much lower than 'developed' countries.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #1086
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i still eat a fair bit of plain rice, vegies, beans etc but my fat intake is vastly reduced. For instance the meal i have planned for tonight is

1 x chicken breast fried (no oil) in mild spices with canilini beans and lettuce/tomato on the side.

It works out to about 2.5g of fat lol, might be a little on the lean side to be honest.

I'm happy with the weight loss but feel very drained for the last week, may have been hitting it a bit hard.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #1087
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm of the opinion that carbs are a necessary evil... more so for people wanting to build muscle. If simple weight loss is required and people don't plan on doing weights, then maybe limit them. But i wouldn't cut them out altogether, they are one type of food that has the ability to make a person feel 'good'...

Personally, i don't really worry too much.. Carbs, or not, if you limit your daily intake and exercise more you will lose weight...

One thing that people forget about carbs is their ability to hold water. This is pretty important for building muscle, and the fact they hold water is going to put on 'weight'...

A lot of people who diet and cut carbs will lose massive weight in the first week or so, but don't be fooled... Most of the weight lost is water...

When i was dieting prior to lifting weights again, i dropped a heap of weight, yet i still ate carbs... I was exercising though.

My diet was 2 or 3 weetbix in the morning, with full cream milk. A sandwich, maybe two with tuna or ham/salad... In the arvo i might have a piece of toast, and dinner was whatever the wife was cooking... The important thing for me was not over eating at dinner, i had to limit my portion..

Many would say i was eating too many carbs, but i still lost a heap of weight (20kgs in 2-3 months)..

Carbs don't put on as much 'fat,weight' as people think.. Each to their own though, if something works for you, stick to it... Everyone is different
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #1088
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Interesting thread. Tapers down to a bit too much of the body building side of things and well, perhaps there actually should be a thread for it.

I don't usually like to publicly speak about my weight stuff, but this thread kinda compelled me to do it.

At XMAS in 2007 I went to visit my parents on the Gold Coast where they were living at the time. My mum hadn't seen me for a few months and was surprised to see the weight I was carrying had kept growing. I hit the scales and was 102.5kg. Im 181cm tall and 26 years of age.

By XMAS in 2008, my parents were down in Melbourne for XMAS and were staying at an aunty and uncles. Two days prior to christmas I hit the scales at 80kg.

By XMAS in 2009, I was at around 90kg.

By XMAS 2010, nothing much had changed.

This XMAS, I'm 99kg.

How that sucks!

I've been through the various cycles. During 2008, I had my best mate who I actually worked with 6 days a week as my gym buddy. We both had the same goals and were a similar weight with him being slightly shorter than me. So we used to hit up the gym in the morning and at night and hit it pretty hard. This was probably the best time I had, of course, I lost 22.5kg.

Since then, everything changes as usual and whilst I go through phases of wanting to eat right, exercise plenty, employ personal trainers and what not things just don't seem to hit any consistency.

So here I am again, I have tried to put myself back into it. I'm choosing not to use a personal trainer at this stage due to current financial goals, but will perhaps engage one again come February 2012.

My newest little fad is that I've created a blog page to use as a weight loss diary. I have a bad habit of weighing myself every day, which has never changed and as bad as some people seem to view this, I'm going to anchor it in. As a motivation tool, every time I weigh myself now I'm taking two photos of myself in the mirror (one front on, one side on) and posting to my blog with diary entries, one in the morning and one at the end of the day to provide a summary of how the day progressed.

I don't subscribe to diets, but I read 'The ABS Diet' by American Mens Health a while back and figured it made a lot of sense. It doesn't really have a "no carb" or "no fat" approach, it focuses on what it calls the 12 power foods: Almonds and other nuts, beans and legumes, spinach and other green vegetables, dairy (fat free or low-fat milk, yoghurt, cheese) instant oatmeal, eggs, turkey and other lean meats, natural peanut butter, olive oil, whole-grain breads and cereals, extra protein intake (whey) and raspberries and other berries to summarise it.

I've devised the best diet I could possibly stand without wanting to hang myself based around their suggestions, and worked in a full body weight program to use 2-3 times a week focusing once on abs and once on legs specically. At every other opportunity, cardio work will come in through either cross trainer, treadmill, walking outdoors (local), and I'm even considering buying or renting an exercise bike to keep in my bedroom for down times where I can just ride at a moderate pace and watch tv or something.

I would like to drop back to somewhere between 80-85kg.

My problem is more so motivation. I can go great for a week, some times even a month but it's like something is ticking inside that will set me off on the binge food and binge drinking then it all comes apart. I CBF going to the gym and here we are a month later (seriously 6 weeks ago I weighed about 94kg) and you're pushing 3 digits on the scales.

So here's hoping I can produce some results. I will keep you posted!
Old 13-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #1089
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeh i weigh myself daily which is a no-no apparently but i don't care. I know weight can fluctuate from day to day but who cares.

sticking to it without grabbing a burger is the hardest part with my type of low carb, low fat diet, but there are options. For example, if you choose subway, go for the roast chicken, and a low fat sauce like honey mustard, which is 0.3g per 6 inch sandwich compared with say mayo which is about 5g per 6 inch, or southwest sauce which is about 9g per 6 inch. It makes a big difference. Also at maccas there is a seared classic chicken burger which is actually pretty nice and only 12g from memory. It's quite filling. Just don't get chips or anything with it. It gives you the illusion of eating pretty badly but not, and tides you over for a while.

Joke of it is, as i said earlier i didn't even become overweight from eating junk, just too much home cooking and a dodgy med. But there are ways of breaking the monotony if you choose the occasional junk-meal properly. Kebabs can be healthy too, with the right ingredients.

If you want to get an idea of the nutritional value of anything you want to eat, to plan your daily food intake, try www.calorieking.com.au <-- pretty good site. You don't have to join, there's a search form on the right side of the front page where you can quick search various ingredients or pre-made foods.
Old 13-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #1090
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Interesting thread. Tapers down to a bit too much of the body building side of things and well, perhaps there actually should be a thread for it.

I don't usually like to publicly speak about my weight stuff, but this thread kinda compelled me to do it.

At XMAS in 2007 I went to visit my parents on the Gold Coast where they were living at the time. My mum hadn't seen me for a few months and was surprised to see the weight I was carrying had kept growing. I hit the scales and was 102.5kg. Im 181cm tall and 26 years of age.

By XMAS in 2008, my parents were down in Melbourne for XMAS and were staying at an aunty and uncles. Two days prior to christmas I hit the scales at 80kg.

By XMAS in 2009, I was at around 90kg.

By XMAS 2010, nothing much had changed.

This XMAS, I'm 99kg.

How that sucks!

I've been through the various cycles. During 2008, I had my best mate who I actually worked with 6 days a week as my gym buddy. We both had the same goals and were a similar weight with him being slightly shorter than me. So we used to hit up the gym in the morning and at night and hit it pretty hard. This was probably the best time I had, of course, I lost 22.5kg.

Since then, everything changes as usual and whilst I go through phases of wanting to eat right, exercise plenty, employ personal trainers and what not things just don't seem to hit any consistency.

So here I am again, I have tried to put myself back into it. I'm choosing not to use a personal trainer at this stage due to current financial goals, but will perhaps engage one again come February 2012.

My newest little fad is that I've created a blog page to use as a weight loss diary. I have a bad habit of weighing myself every day, which has never changed and as bad as some people seem to view this, I'm going to anchor it in. As a motivation tool, every time I weigh myself now I'm taking two photos of myself in the mirror (one front on, one side on) and posting to my blog with diary entries, one in the morning and one at the end of the day to provide a summary of how the day progressed.

I don't subscribe to diets, but I read 'The ABS Diet' by American Mens Health a while back and figured it made a lot of sense. It doesn't really have a "no carb" or "no fat" approach, it focuses on what it calls the 12 power foods: Almonds and other nuts, beans and legumes, spinach and other green vegetables, dairy (fat free or low-fat milk, yoghurt, cheese) instant oatmeal, eggs, turkey and other lean meats, natural peanut butter, olive oil, whole-grain breads and cereals, extra protein intake (whey) and raspberries and other berries to summarise it.

I've devised the best diet I could possibly stand without wanting to hang myself based around their suggestions, and worked in a full body weight program to use 2-3 times a week focusing once on abs and once on legs specically. At every other opportunity, cardio work will come in through either cross trainer, treadmill, walking outdoors (local), and I'm even considering buying or renting an exercise bike to keep in my bedroom for down times where I can just ride at a moderate pace and watch tv or something.

I would like to drop back to somewhere between 80-85kg.

My problem is more so motivation. I can go great for a week, some times even a month but it's like something is ticking inside that will set me off on the binge food and binge drinking then it all comes apart. I CBF going to the gym and here we are a month later (seriously 6 weeks ago I weighed about 94kg) and you're pushing 3 digits on the scales.

So here's hoping I can produce some results. I will keep you posted!
I don't think it needs a different thread mate... The title is weight gain/loss... Putting on fat isn't the only way to gain weight

Having said that, a lot of people focus too much on the 'diet' side of things. Sure, maybe it's easier to just limit food intake and hope to lose weight, but it's much easier to keep eating the same with smaller portions (provided you don't eat a heap of junk) and just exercise a few days per week.

Also, if i was you, i wouldn't focus too much on your ab muscles mate. Working the abs rarely burns enough calories, or builds enough muscle to be worthwhile as a fat burning exercise... Unless you have already lost most of the gut and are simply trying to define the abs, it's almost a waste of time...

You'd be much better off spending that time lifting weights for the legs and chest, or other bigger muscle groups. Alternatively, you'd be better off doing cardio, or a mix of weights and cardio.

You're right though, motivation is the key.. My problem is beer, i love to have a drink with mates... So, my motivation to train comes from knowing that at least if i train hard, i can have a few beers and not 'put' on weight, and maybe at least stay the same!

Good luck with your training, i know how hard it can be! The trick is to stick at it, don't hope for the quick fix and then slip into old habits... The change needs to happen forever. Even once you reach your target weight, ensure you train, and still watch what you eat...
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #1091
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Squats. Do Squats religiously. This will develop your abs...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1092
Poetic Justice

Sorry, what I meant was I was taking the good parts of the abs diet and using it for myself. I couldn't give a **** about my abs right now.

The weight training is full body, in order to burn calories at rest with muscle recovery and compliment it with plenty of cardio and a good diet.

In my eyes, this seems the best way to go about it. There's nothing crash diet about what I'm doing it, just better choices!
Old 13-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #1093
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

In Feb this year I was knocking on the door of 140kgs. I figured the only way to lose the weight was to get off my fat lazy a$$ and start walking and eating less. I've tried almost every type of diet to no success...reduce this..only eat this...load up on this...prepare this...boring!! Eat what you like and gain a little knowledge about whats foods are good for you and what its kj value is. Stay within the boundaries and don't over indulge regularly...kind of like what the French do! they eat all the good stuff but generally don't pig out. But the biggest thing was getting off my fat lazy a$$ and getting active. As time went on the exercise started to get easier and didn't hurt as much and with that the mindset came with it. Losing weight, getting healthier and getting fitter only made my mindset become healthier too! At the moment i'm sitting on 102kgs. I don't have any particular goals...I just keep doing what i'm doing and what I enjoy doing but the biggest thing for me was getting active.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #1094
Poetic Justice

Well done. Some people can make it seem so simple!
Old 13-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #1095
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Well done. Some people can make it seem so simple!
Trust me SCUD...it wasn't easy in the beginning! Before I plonked myself on the lounge after work each day I would just get straight into the half hour of exercise. If I sat down straight after work I would have just lost the interest in doing anything.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #1096
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

my 10.5KG in 6 weeks hasn't been easy either. Nothing easy about weight loss unless you're just lucky.
Old 15-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #1097
Poetic Justice

This is going to sound trivial and it is, but I found it amusing nevertheless.

Ever tested your scales against another set?

I recently bought a set of scales to keep an eye on myself and didn't want to spend much so I bought a set of mechanical scales. I regretted this after a week because, as absurd as I am I like to see even a gain of 100 grams. Stupid, I know, but that's another story.

So yesterday I went out and bought a set of digital scales. On my original ones, I was hitting 99kg.. on the new set I was 96.8 - wtf! I thought bugger me I've bought ****** scales! But I figured I'd do a little more investigationing and went to weigh myself on the digital scales in my parents bathroom. 97.1kg - further wtf!

I guess I'd probably be inclined to trust the ones that are 300grams apart rather than over 1kg. I'm not taking it in a win by any stretch as whilst this is a bit of a numbers game, it's all about how I look and feel when it all boils down.

Just strange, I thought!
Old 15-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #1098
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i have two sets of digital scales, they usually read somewhere between 500 grams of each other, depending on the day. They're highly temperamental.
Old 15-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #1099
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

down to 89.7 now been a while since i've been in the 80's.

not too far off the goal

edit - just checked back on some dates of when i started. It was actually the 12th of November so it's actually been under 5 weeks. Total loss so far is exactly 11kg which equals about 2.2KG per week, and a lot of sacrifice.

Biggest thing about it is just changing your mindset. I'm craving a reward meal when i'm at the goal, but the exercise and better choices are set to continue to maintain the weight, with some fattier options thrown in.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 15-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 15-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #1100
Poetic Justice

Before you gained the weight were you always relatively light?

Sounds amazing to lose 11kgs in 5 weeks. Here I was thinking I'd be lucky to drop 1kg per week.
Old 15-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #1101
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i've generally been around 83KG with a large frame. My 'ok with me' weight is 85kg. That's about my normal healthy looking weight. So no, not light.

Everyone loses weight at different rates, but if you scroll back through my posts, particularly this one you can see what i've eliminated to do what i'm doing. It's not easy for sure. I usually go all or nothing with most things, and this is another case. Doing this may not work for you though. Go to the doc and get your thyroid function tested, and your metabolism in general. If you have a slow metabolism, you'll lose weight slower, and sometimes not at all.
Old 15-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #1102
Poetic Justice

I've been there and done it, I went from 102.5kg to 80kg so I know it's possible. Just gotta put my head into it and be a good boy haha
Old 19-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #1103
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

down to 88.8Kg now

had chinese last night, but not very much at all, and no fried stuff, couldn't help myself, exercised twice to compensate.
Old 19-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #1104
thedutchman92

Chinese is fairly ok, just steer clear of lemon chicken haha
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #1105
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

lol i would have killed for some battered chicken..
Old 19-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #1106
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've put on 3kg in the last couple of weeks.

The things men do to impress a girl they like.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #1107
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Day and a half left of work before a couple weeks off, can't wait to get stuck into my training over the break, time to set some new goals.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #1108
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Im sitting happily in a range between 105 and 109 kg.... this seems like a big variation but in reality its a worst on Sunday night (after a big weekend eating what I want) and Friday morning (my leanest time of the week).....

I was 156 kg in Sept 2009.

What I have found is that I eat similar to how "sexyxe" posted above, (40/40/20 PFC) with 100g of Nutri-grain and a splash of peanuts for breakfast, Low-salt Beef jerky and toasted Chickpeas for smoko, Chicken or Fish at lunch, an arvo snack something simple like Nuts and Nutrigrain (a couple of handfuls) and then a big kickass salad or veges at nighttime with some lean chicken or beef.

Having ruined my body being so big it will take time to get to the leaness that I want (~13-14% bodyfat) but i'll get there and I wont be suicidal doing it......... its so easy now with 40 minute gym sessions 5 days a week and just eat well.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #1109
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

just found this thread.
8 days ago i bought a set of scales when i could not buy and xxl shirts and felt pretty crap about my self.

8 days in and ive lost 8 kg by eating 5 times a day and not really having more than 1000calories a day when my body just running itself for a day does 2600cals. plus my trade burning more energy (carpenter).
im dead set sick of eating. i used to only eat lunch and dinner. seems like all im doing is eating

so i started at 133kg and am now 127kg. im also 6 foot 5 so i hold it well.

cant wait to get down to 110kg with a solid covering of muscle. looking forward to see how much i have under the fat.

hoping to be the fittest one in the bridal party at my mates wedding in october.

wish me luck
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #1110
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

CAT600: how tall are you? (if you'd rather not say, that's fine)

Giant Cranium: good work

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 19-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.