Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
Unknown1
Starter Motor

Default 2008 Ford Focus LT 2.0L Fuel pump

Hi guys, recently discovered a pin hole leak in the top plastic of my ford focus fuel pump. Tried to repair it but with no success i order a new EFP 358 Bosche unit.

Install was super straight forward today although when attempting to crank the car over, it will not start. Ive turned the key back and forth a fuel times, allowing the pump to get power but it wont start the car. Everything is repositioned exactly how the old came out. Upon disconnecting the new pump from the fuel line i do not have an fuel come out my line, to me this shows me the new pump isnt sending fuel down my line.

I removed it all and put the old pump back in and instantly the vehicle kicks over. So with my old leaking pump and car starts fine,but installing the new Bosche pump i get nothing.

Any one have any suggestions? Any possibility this thing is fault from factory? I would have doubted that, but seems weird im not getting fine in my line.

Thanks.
Unknown1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 2008 Ford Focus LT 2.0L Fuel pump

Curious to see if the polarity is backwards on the new pump assembly - ie the positive and negative are reversed in the pump assembly to whats in the wiring loom - spinning the new pump over backwards.

Does it make any noise if you go to ignition to fuel system prime with the new pump assembly?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
Unknown1
Starter Motor

Thanks for the reply. To me, the external wiring on the pump looks fine. Internally i do not want to take it apart just yet as its brand new (waiting to hear back from the supplier)

If i turn ignition so the "reds" are on, on my dash- i hear the pump for the 3 second roughly, then goes off again, but my old pump does the same.

Im kind of at a loss. Am i not wrong in saying, it should just be a straight swap? As long as my fuse etc are fine, i should just be able to interchange no issue?

I thought maybe its a pressure thing, but when i put my old pump in after sitting removed from the vehicle, it starts right away so cannot be a pressure issue.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. To me, the external wiring on the pump looks fine. Internally i do not want to take it apart just yet as its brand new (waiting to hear back from the supplier)

If i turn ignition so the "reds" are on, on my dash- i hear the pump for the 3 second roughly, then goes off again, but my old pump does the same.

Im kind of at a loss. Am i not wrong in saying, it should just be a straight swap? As long as my fuse etc are fine, i should just be able to interchange no issue?

I thought maybe its a pressure thing, but when i put my old pump in after sitting removed from the vehicle, it starts right away so cannot be a pressure issue.
Yep - either the new pump is faulty and its moving precisely zero fuel, or its reverse polarity and spinning backwards.

There's no rubber protective caps or anything over fuel pickup points by any chance? When you buy a new pump (by itself) usually the fuel outlet has a rubber cap over it to protect it.

I know it sounds stupid but its worth a quick look.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
Unknown1
Starter Motor

Yeah did have a blue cap on the outlet valve which was removed to attach the fuel line. Apart from that, thats it.

Im going to stick a multi meter to it over the weekend and see what i can come up with.

Do not want to start pulling it apart to check everything when its brand new- but i assume the supplier will want a report from a proper mechanic to take it back. Going to try it with the old pump and the new pump hooked up into a glass jar to see if it pumps at all.

Thanks for the replies though, appreciate it.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:35 PM   #6
Unknown1
Starter Motor

Thought id update with a resolution in case anyone else finds this useful. At a second inspection ive discovered the "2nd valve" on the fuel pump which isn't used on this model vehicle and is meant to be sealed/blanked off by Bosch, in turn hasn''t been, creating a vacuum

So its not allowing pressure to build within the pump assembly to send the fuel.

Glad i found the issue- now speaking with Bosch / supplier to find out where to go from here.
This user likes this post: