Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 17-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Fitting Stretch Fit Belts

Several forum members have found out (either the easy way or the hard way), the WP / WQ Fiesta 1.6L Duratec does not have an adjustable tensioner that can be used to fit the accessory drive belts. Instead, the belts are 'stretch fit,' meaning that they are designed to be stretched over the crankshaft and accessory drive pulleys, using special tools. Stretch fit belts are also designed to be 'single use only' and should be cut off, and not 'stretched-off,' then re-used (according to manufacturers).

Ford once sold the Fiesta stretch belts in a kit, with the special tools required to fit them. I recently spoke to Ford Spares and they confirmed that the kit is no longer available, only the belts themselves. Thankfully, there are some aftermarket alternatives, which I will give details of below.

Firstly, here is a diagram (courtesy of Gates) of the correct routing of the 1.6L accessory drive system:

As you can see, the crankshaft pulley is a double belt system,: a longer one that drives the water pump, alternator and A/C, and then a shorter belt that drives the power steering pump only.

The longer belt rides on the more 'inboard' section of crankshaft pulley, and the shorter power steering belt rides on the more outboard section.

The following video (proudly brought to your by Kincrome) shows the power steering belt being removed / fitted, using a 'universal' stretch fit belt tool, on the 1.6L Duratec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhOSXmOW4I

Here is the link on the Kincrome site: https://www.kincrome.com.au/stretch-fit-belt-kit

An alternative tool to the Kincrome one is shown at the start of the video, which is the threaded/adjustable type, such as the following:

Gates make these, and sell them as SFT001 and SFT003 (pictured above). From what I can see, these are quite expensive, and you may want to consider the less expensive Laser tools versions, eg. Laser Tools 4999 and 4881 from eBay etc.

Fitting the longer accessory drive belt is a bit more of a mission, the easiest way being the Gates SFT002 kit or the Laser Tools 5919 kit (again, much cheaper). According the Laser, the 5919 is, "designed to be used where the universal tools will not work due to the double width crankshaft stopping the belt being fitted."

The kit contains a guide that fits over the water pump pulley, as well as a guide that fits over the crankshaft. Essentially the water pump pulley is rotated first, to help seat the belt over it, then the crankshaft pulley is rotated to finish the installation. Here is a video from Gates, showing the SFT002 being used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRkzBqM4uPU
Full instructions are here from Gates:http://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/m...0003.pdf?la=en
And better instructions (IMHO) from Laser: http://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/PD...structions.pdf

The Gates belts part numbers are as follows:
5PK692SF (PS belt - shorter )
6PK1019SF (WP / Alt / A/C belt / - longer)

Bosch belts part numbers are:
5 EPK 690 1 987 946 141 (PS belt)
6 EPK 1019 1 987 946 142 (WP / Alt / A/C belt)
Set of two above: 1 987 946 197

As a matter of interest, the LS / LT Focus with 2.0L Duratec engine also has a stretch fit belt, driving the A/C only. The water pump / alternator is driven by a belt that also runs over an adjustable tensioner (thankfully). The power steering is electro-hydraulic.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Fitting Stretch Fit Belts

If anyone would like to purchase new accessory drive belts for their WP/WQ/WS Fiesta, I am currently selling them on eBay:
Gates 5PK692SF: eBay item number:232269521259
Gates 6PK1019SF: eBay item number:232269520580

As well as the stretch fit belt tool Laser 5919: eBay item number:232269516993

It is time to sell the wife's Fiesta soon, so I am getting rid of some of these spare parts.
Old 14-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Does old the Lisle tool not also work http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magnetic-...QAAOxyYYlRonX8 and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lisle-593...UAAOSw8cNUSyKq etc?
Old 14-03-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Or this style: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Insta...MAAOSwVFlT4Eri
Old 14-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those universal style tools do not work for the longer accessory drive belt for reasons already mentioned in my post - it is a double width / double row crankshaft pulley, so those tools do not reach the second (inner row).

The universal style tools you listed are the same as the Kincrome one I listed at the start of the post. The universal style are fine for fitting the outer row (power steering belt), as shown in the first video in my post, but do not reach the inner row.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
If anyone would like to purchase new accessory drive belts for their WP/WQ/WS Fiesta, I am currently selling them on eBay:
Gates 5PK692SF: eBay item number:232269521259
Gates 6PK1019SF: eBay item number:232269520580

As well as the stretch fit belt tool Laser 5919: eBay item number:232269516993

It is time to sell the wife's Fiesta soon, so I am getting rid of some of these spare parts.
Sold.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone is interested, I've got the Laser Tools UK 5919 stretch belt fitting kit up on eBay, for a fraction of the price of importing it yourself from the UK. Suitable for fitting the long accessory drive belt to the WP WQ WS WT Fiesta with the 1.6L petrol engine as well as the Focus LW with the same 1.6 petrol engine. I cannot post a direct link here but it shouldn't be hard to find.
Ebay Item number 232884887335