Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #61
kenny21
This is really me :)

yea but if they running the same fuel map as the old focus then it is leaner because of higher compression
kenny21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #62
MikGan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny21
quik question with all these ppl that are having these issues, can i ask is it doing it when ur on the throttle or when ur lifting off the throttle.
For me its definatly pinging on throttle. From a standing start, or accelerating on an incline. If I have more than just me and the wife in the car, say 3 guys in the back seat, then it'll ping on a flat road also.
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #63
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
yea but if they running the same fuel map as the old focus then it is leaner because of higher compression
ROFL. And why would that happen? Its a totally different engine and ECU mate
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #64
kenny21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
ROFL. And why would that happen? Its a totally different engine and ECU mate
Yea totally new engine but whats to say they havnt taken the old ecu and used that programming, maybe not exactly but close to it. I dont know and neither do u unless u work in the design team who made the new focus. Im just puttin up the question cause with higher compression u need more fuel thats all and i dont know wat ecu and programming they use in the old and new focus.
Old 29-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #65
BlackLS

Quote:
Yea totally new engine but whats to say they havnt taken the old ecu and used that programming, maybe not exactly but close to it. I dont know and neither do u unless u work in the design team who made the new focus. Im just puttin up the question cause with higher compression u need more fuel thats all and i dont know wat ecu and programming they use in the old and new focus.
Because it would take 1000000000x more time and effort to work out how to port the old ECU mapping and parameters over to the LS Focus ECU than it would to hook up a running LS to a computer, get the A/F ratio and adjust as necessary, concidering how many LS's they sell world wide, its not like they had a 1 man development team. I may not be part of the Focus design and development team but I do have common sense.

What your suggesting is the equivelent of Ford trying to flash the AU Falcon XR8 windsor tune to the BA Falcon Boss ecu. Not going to happen.

I'm guessing the number reason why we get pinging is because of our poor Aussie fuel and the tight tune due to the pressure on Ford Europe to have good fuel economy without VCT or VVTI.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #66
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But it's a total mystery why some cars do and others don't.

Bit like girls actually...

I hate that song and now damn it it's in my head...

More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #67
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I've just been running 98ron, it pings a bit now and then.
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #68
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing you could do is change to a colder plug number.

I know it's a bit of messing around and some cost is involved but Ford seem unwilling to do anything until some engines fail.

Other than that there's very little you can do while it's under warranty and it's a long shot anyway.
Old 30-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #69
MikGan

I was recommended by 13FORD over the phone to advise the mechanic about using colder plugs at my next service. When I called to book I mentioned this and he pretty much called me a liar that that will have no effect and its not something that ford is recommendind. I know the that it may help but Ford need to get their house in order.
Old 30-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #70
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
No offence intended kenny, but when Ford develop a new car with a DURATEC engine not a Zetec S(E) engine the team of highly Qualified engineers dont tend to use old out of date and non compatible software.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #71
MikGan

How funny would it be if one of those hightly qualified engineers was reading this thinking 'oh **** we forgot to update the software!', lol.... well not really funny, anoying infact, but unlikely all the same I would suggest.
Old 30-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #72
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Well seeing as though the Old focus used the Zetec-R (Not SE as sean seems to think) which used a MAF sensor while the new Duratec uses MAP sensing I don't see that even remotely happening. Not to mention all the cold start, temperature correction etc maps that would be totally wrong
Old 30-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #73
kenny21

yea i know i totally agree its like the same when in the race car we put new engine and upgraded ecu and you start fresh i just wanted to know wat u guys thought bout it, its just weird cause as u say they are suppose to be highly qualified engineers and you would think they would either fix this problem or tell us wats happening or something instead of just totally ignoring the problem all together because im sure they are losing sales from it and a few other things with the focus
Old 30-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #74
Guliver_TwiSt
Yes, laminge changed me

I honestly regard the software writers for the duratec ECU to be a bunch of idiots.

On my trip to Queensland about 4 months ago, the engine fault light on the dash lit up. Once I finally managed to find a Ford dealer, i was told that the system was incorrectly reporting an ignition coil fault, and the problem was then rectified by flashing the ECU...This caused a lot of frustration and ruined the trip for me.. The first serious journey in a new car resulting in what appeared to be an enormous disaster.

My car with its even more recently upgraded ecu software on the dash, shows the speed and milage in KM/H and temperature in F.. If i change my settings to imperial, i get miles per galon and degrees. If they can't even get such basics right after god knows how many revisions, how can you expect them to tackle more serious issues..

This problem was not there before the ECU upgrade.

My 2C to Ford Engineering (Laugh) :eclipsee_
HIRE SOME REAL ENGINEERS!!
Guliver_TwiSt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #75
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

The more focus' on the road, the more of a chance of Ford bringing out a recall.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #76
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

When you get ping how much Throttle are you giving it and what RPM does it happen at?
Old 31-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #77
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
When you get ping how much Throttle are you giving it and what RPM does it happen at?
VERY ROUGHLY FROM MEMORY:
When taking off at the lights it can happen briefly when you first put your foot down. (Taking off relatively sedately, not foot to the floor)
Going up an incline travelling at approx 90km/h under moderate throttle with the revs at about 2500 approx. If it changes down to 3rd it doesn't seem to do it.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #78
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guliver_TwiSt

My car with its even more recently upgraded ecu software on the dash, shows the speed and milage in KM/H and temperature in F.. If i change my settings to imperial, i get miles per galon and degrees. If they can't even get such basics right after god knows how many revisions, how can you expect them to tackle more serious issues..
Scroll to the temprature display. Hold down the Set button for about 3 seconds...
Old 31-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #79
BlackLS

Thing is, if they bring out a recall, you'll probably end up with worse fuel economy and possibly less mid range power when running higher octane fuels.

Similar with the BA XR6T and their boost spike problems.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #80
MikGan

Well the car is in this monring for the 45K service.

Last night I had to fill up and after a small brian fart I found myself filling it up with regular unleaded, "oh well im sure it'll ping its **** off now" im thinking to myself, too late to stop.

So I gave it stink all last night and this morning trying to get that pinging sound back, but.... it seems to have disapeared! I dont know if it's temp or if the fuel actually made a difference. With my track record it'll play nice while at the mecahics and start pinging its **** off the moment I get it back home, but fingers crossed my focus is just a big fan of 91octane fuel.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #81
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikGan
So I gave it stink all last night and this morning trying to get that pinging sound back, but.... it seems to have disapeared! I dont know if it's temp or if the fuel actually made a difference. With my track record it'll play nice while at the mecahics and start pinging its **** off the moment I get it back home, but fingers crossed my focus is just a big fan of 91octane fuel.

Ours doesn't do it all the time. According to the "experts", air temperature and humidity can make a difference. We know that if we take it in it won't do it for the mechanic. Cars are evil..... Maybe we should try 91ron again. It might have changed it's mind.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #82
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Mine doesn't ping and its got 4 month old fuel.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #83
MikGan

lol so u reckon the trick is to buy petrol in bulk and store it for 4 months....mmm sounds reasonable! :P

Well it did ping for them again and they have recommended that we take it infor a day that they can sit on it and find the problem. The guy behind the counter reitterated that they have had a number of ppl with the same problem and they themselves are now just waiting for ford to do something about it.

Ahh well im going to try to forget about it, if the thing ****s it self in the near future as long as its under warrenty Im not going to care that much I spose.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #84
WASP
Whipple Induced

These cars are very fuel sensitive. One brand of fuel will make them ping while another won't. Ours hasn't pinged since the re flash at 12,000km. We use 95 octane fuel, but the fuel economy sits around 8.9lts per 100. Damn European cars!!
Good luck with it.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #85
Fusspot
Starter Motor

I'll just re-iterate what someone said earlier. MIne pinged on 91 RON particularly on inclines. Really sore about this as it it's so called ability to run on 91 RON was a buying point for me. Anyway here in Brissy I have changed over 95 RON 10% ethanol blend which is cheaper than reg unleaded and it runs fine with no pinging. Only on my second tank of this fuel so I'm curious to see how the fuel consumption is affected.
Fusspot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #86
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusspot
I'll just re-iterate what someone said earlier. MIne pinged on 91 RON particularly on inclines. Really sore about this as it it's so called ability to run on 91 RON was a buying point for me. Anyway here in Brissy I have changed over 95 RON 10% ethanol blend which is cheaper than reg unleaded and it runs fine with no pinging. Only on my second tank of this fuel so I'm curious to see how the fuel consumption is affected.
Sounds like a fuel supply issue with the intank fuel pickup (its at the front of the tank so when your on a hill, it'll go dry.)
Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #87
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Consumption should increase as ethanol has a lower calorific value than petrol. ie less energy per litre.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #88
Markus85
Starter Motor

I have a standard 2004 Ford focus LR 2.0 CL and since i've bought it i've experienced continuous pinging issues along with trouble starting and the motor has also cut out on me while turing around a corner, it's a 4 speed Auto!.
Anyway i've taken it ford and told them about the pinging and that i always put 95 or 98 RON in it, they said they were unable to detect anything at the time of test, so they just updated the computer with the latest software and recomended that i run my car on 95 RON (Which i was already doin) and they said they took a sample of the fuel and said it was STALE, WTF!!!. I took my car last week to a mobile mechanic to service my car on 25000K and when he was inspecting the motor he found a vaccum hose hanging in the engine bay not connected to anything, when he looked around he saw a plastic area on the air intake duct where a hole should have been drilled through it so the vaccum hose can connect into it. I got it fixed at ford and they said it's never happened before and start asking me how i can drive around with the hose like that, they then drilled a hole through the air intake duct and connected the vaccum hose and now the car has more power, brakes a bit better, also it's is a little more fuel efficient and i haven't noticed any pinging yet.
This shows that when you service your car through ford and pay through the roof you don't even get a proper service.

Does anyone know if action can be taken?
Markus85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #89
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Action???

Yeah take a dozen dohnuts around to that mobile mechanic immediately.

The Ford guys do the best they can, they're not gods so relax and give them a chance.

But don't feed them dohnuts until they earn it eh..
Old 26-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #90
Homer
Poor IT dude

Hmmm I put regular unleaded in my LS from Gull and it’s started pinging.
I use BP ultimate 99% of the time but have put BP regular in before without any issues.

I thought it was just a dodgy servo!
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post