Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #61
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_7
once you've driven one you wont want one..everyone thinks there great till they drive,of the 10 people i was with on the drive day we all agreed there underpowerd
I assume you are joking? Everyone that has ever test driven the ST in the UK was compelled to buy one almost immediately, even if they weren't really intending too! You have got it wrong - once you have driven one you WILL want one!

Granted they are not as quick as an XR6T in a straight line, but most of the people on here are more concerned with handling, an area in which the car excels. You also say that it doesn’t throw you back in your seat - almost every review I have read has said the exact opposite, and that there is instant hard acceleration in any gear at any revs! The only shortcoming of this engine is apparently some ‘breathlessness’ above 5500 rpm.

However, if all you’re about is chest beating over power outputs and quarter mile times, then the XR5T is not the car for you, but I think most people on this forum are above that anyway. Interestingly, two other Ford people posted here recently after driving the XR5T and said they would take it over the XR6T any day of the week - their words not mine.

Teki04, the ST170 is a great car….but only when modified. It has a brilliant chassis but the engine is found wanting. I spent about $1800 on engine and exhaust mods and it is now truly a hot hatch. Having said that, being a NA 2 litre, you really have to use the high end of the rev range to get the most out of it. While this is great fun, I do miss having heaps of low down torque, which is why I have an XR5T on the way!
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #62
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Yer the XR5T isn't going to sell..

Considering 99% of the initial shipment has been pre-sold with NEXT TO ZERO information and ZERO TEST DRIVING available to buyers in Australia...

It's not fair to compare them to a WRX in their current form they aren't an all out go kart platform like a WRX.

They certainly shouldn't be lacking urge and going by all opinions available and my friends (who works @ Prodrive) these things are great total package that will appeal to a wider market. Heck, they are advertising the car in Motor for the boys and even Womans Day for the well... the boys who read Womans Day.
Old 14-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #63
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
steven,i spend 8 hours on an xr5 focus drive day,i spoke with the guy from germany who is here to launch the xr5 turbo i asked him if we will see an AWD,his words were with a sly look ..europe will get the awd first,and then down under within 2 yrs,i said to him what if it doesnt sell well as awd he said no chance of that?! go figure expert
That is Awesome! So in 3 years time, when the lease runs out on my Focus LX, I can upgrade to an AWD focus! FANTASTIC!

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #64
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
xr5 aint that great,they look the goods but dont throw you back in your seat..they will be releast mid june..
This post alone proves you're not a salesman. You have come onto this forum in your first 8-10 posts and dissed a car that according to the Motoring Media worldiwde, including BBC Top Gear (Jeremy Clarkson himself no less) is very quick, great value, the cheapest mid-sized turbo hatch you can buy pretty much and has enough grip IN THE WET to lift an inside rear tyre... Best car in the world? Not at all. But absolute rubbish that won't sell? I'd like to try some of the fresh sticky green magic you've been smoking.

You don't talk like a salesman... how do I know? I was one myself for 6 months and sold 2 ST170's, including one to a forum member here. Were I selling XR5's now in comparison, I'd have to hospitalise myself at the excitement of the SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER performance and value proposition AT A CHEAPER PRICE.

You lack the basic grammatical skills just like FRA and it has been brought to my attention that you are posting on the same IP addres as FRA.

You are lving on borrowed time if this is correct.
Old 14-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #65
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the xr5 does look the goods inside and out,you cant go wrong with recaro's and sony premium sound but at the end of the day if your into fast cars you'd need to run the xr5 at around 10psi then they would be potent,handling is better than a wrx even as a FWD..and there will be an AWD version in the next 1-2 years
*Grain of Salt*

That just like a new user registering and saying a GHTO V10 is confirmed and will be available by years end (Which we know wont happen)

Chances are there could be an RS down the track, which DOES have AWD. BUT, There is no confirmation anywhere in Europe at the moment, and definitely not OZ.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #66
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
steven,i spend 8 hours on an xr5 focus drive day,i spoke with the guy from germany who is here to launch the xr5 turbo i asked him if we will see an AWD,his words were with a sly look ..europe will get the awd first,and then down under within 2 yrs,i said to him what if it doesnt sell well as awd he said no chance of that?! go figure expert
Might I refer you to a post I made earlier, post #45. Try reading it.

Quote:
No, the LR RS was a front wheel drive, actually not too dissimilar from an LS "ST" XR5 Turbo... in European magazine "Car", Jost Capito the Director of Ford Team RS was quoted as saying regarding the potential new RS:

"I think with this new ST, a new RS would be much more accepted than the last model. You don't need any more than the ST, but if you offer it people will want it.
Financially, to spend money on a very low-volume model such as an RS is a very difficult decision at the moment. When you've achieved the volume in sales then you can do a car for enthusiasts, a car that really respests your motorsport activity. Things very much depend on the success of the ST, but if it goes well then an RS would be possible."

Here's hoping!!!!!!!
Hmm Jost Capito or a new random forum member... who to believe? :
Old 14-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #67
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
has enough grip IN THE WET to lift an inside rear tyre
WOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO - Evidence that the car will be an awesome handling car! How do I know? Because mine is one of the few Hot Hatches which does so _2:

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #68
used

Xr5t is great i want one .. once i have the money
Xr5t is going to sell... at least one more coz i will be buying one in a very near future!
if they have an RS... yes pls sign me up for one as well~!
No i wont be buying a Xr6 over a xr5t coz i dont lik the shape of a taxi and i would like to be able to find my car easiler in a carpark!
BUT if someone is willing to give me a XR6 then i will sell it and get my xr5t...

XR5T all the way... but i hope it will come in 2dr....
used is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #69
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
......and it has been brought to my attention that you are posting on the same IP addres as FRA.

You are lving on borrowed time if this is correct.
I had a sneaking suspicion this was the case the moment I started reading these last few posts.

I reckon a mod should ban both accounts, ban the IP, and delete all posts from when 'those two' started adding their 2 cents to the topic.

Anyone with me?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #70
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those in favour, Should the IP address match say I

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Old 14-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #71
simonr
Focus Rookie

Finger/Trace the IP and see where bouts its actually located...!!

So Blake Whats geelong like ? lol
Where bouts u live??
Old 14-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #72
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Come on guys, let's not get out of control here. I have reacted to a PM sent to me suggesting the IP addresses match, I have not assumed that they do but I have placed a warning and I have PM'ed a Mod to resolve this issue. I don't have the ability to views these not being a mod myself (something which I choose not to be). Let's just wait to see how it turns out.
Old 15-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #73
Lagom

Quote:
the xr5 does look the goods inside and out,you cant go wrong with recaro's and sony premium sound but at the end of the day if your into fast cars you'd need to run the xr5 at around 10psi then they would be potent,handling is better than a wrx even as a FWD..and there will be an AWD version in the next 1-2 years
Run the XR5 at 10psi?

Considering it runs 0.65BAR/9.6PSI, I really don't think 0.4PSI will make much of a difference ;)
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #74
RATT

I think Blake_7 has bitten the dust. BAN I say.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #75
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, the amount of shiit some people spray from their faces is disturbing, i'm concerned that most of these so called people on here are just 8 year olds with too much spare time, but not enough to google things to get the facts, just like when you were in kindergarten and thought that by now there would be flying cars.....
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 02:34 AM   #76
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
lol, the amount of shiit some people spray from their faces is disturbing, i'm concerned that most of these so called people on here are just 8 year olds with too much spare time, but not enough to google things to get the facts, just like when you were in kindergarten and thought that by now there would be flying cars.....
And to think he's selling Focus performance parts....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 04:22 AM   #77
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Anyone who thinks the XR5 is not going to sell is kidding themselves.

The cars are being pre-sold months before a dealer can get it in the country, we ordered one without seeing an flyers or test drive as both not available but so pleased with the general inclusions and reviews on the ST, pricing and not to forget $2,715 discount we got under the Ford Partnership program.

What people also need to remember is that they will not be bringing out XR6 quantities of these cars, so comparing them as such is a deceiving yourself.

Anyone that has done first year economics will also understand that supply is exceeded demand, therefore there is no need to therefore worry about them not selling.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #78
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Grunt
Anyone that has done first year economics will also understand that supply is exceeded demand, therefore there is no need to therefore worry about them not selling.
Only people worried about sales, are the people that want one, and will have to wait for the next shipment! As I think supply will be tight for the first 6 months, and then settle down.
Old 15-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #79
Nappa
Impressive...

i agree with most of you gents who aren’t going insane. The XR5T buyer and the XR6 buyer are looking at completely different vehicles, the xr6 is a great car and I’d love one, but they are a great combo of some fun sports handling and performance combined with the practicality of a family size car that can tow 2.3 ton. Think of the XR6 as a 60% family friendly and 40% sports fun. In contrast the Camry Sportivo which is 99.5% family friendly 0.5% sports fun, has another completely different buyer. The xr5 on the other hand while still practical and spacious is better suited for those who are more interested in performance and particularly handling, its no evo, but it was never meant to be nor is it aimed to steal sales away from evo and sti. The xr5 is more of a 80% sports fun and 20% family friendly and then you can up the sports fun and reduce family friendly buy optioning leather recaro’s and buggering off the middle rear seat. Anyway what im trying to say is the two different cars will attract very different people, granted there may be the odd case someone comparing both, but so far I’v only had one customer who was interested in the XR5 Turbo and the XR6 Turbo.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #80
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

If Ford gave us the 3dr, that would be more sports orientated than family. Or were they burned by the ST170
Old 15-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #81
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Only people worried about sales, are the people that want one, and will have to wait for the next shipment! As I think supply will be tight for the first 6 months, and then settle down.
I actually screwed up, said that wrong way round (not suprised as post was at 3 in the morning) sleep:

Mean't to say demand is far exceeding supply. Hence no problems for dealers to obtain a sale as they have more willing buyers than they do available stock.

From my personal buying experience I reakon it settle down until about this time next year, also UK buyers are experiencing similar problems and they have been released there, they are waiting up to 4 months ive read.

From what im hearing is that a good deal of the XR5s are already pre-sold out for the good part of this year and this is before people have been able to test drive them.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #82
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I reckon it's pretty safe to say there is a business case for the 3 door now. Admittedly we are getting a VERY small shipment of XR5s per month, but it's already a case of "If you want a XR5 before 2007, stiff" for customers who havent preordered after various motorshows. A 3 door would not only (probably) increase the number of XR5s coming to Australia, but also give punters a bigger choice.

Next year I'd like to see a couple of more options though, sun roof, HID lamps (if they can be made ADR compliant), sat nav.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #83
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
If Ford gave us the 3dr, that would be more sports orientated than family. Or were they burned by the ST170
For me it's a simple business decision.

If small volumes dictate only one model choice - 5dr vs 3dr - of course you bring the 5dr. Someone who wants/needs a 5dr probably won't settle for a 3dr, whereas a good handful of 3dr customers will settle for a 5dr. Looking at the way the Golf GTI has sold, looks like there is no shortage of 5dr customers.

Personally I think the Focus 5dr looks better than the 3dr in the current model, unlike the previous model. There's something a little bland about the 3dr at the moment, whereas the Astra 3dr has a reasonable amount of visual differentiation; in my opinion, pretty good looking too.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #84
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Personally I think the Focus 5dr looks better than the 3dr in the current model, unlike the previous model. There's something a little bland about the 3dr at the moment, whereas the Astra 3dr has a reasonable amount of visual differentiation; in my opinion, pretty good looking too.
Totally agree with this statement. The LS 3 door is still nice, but somehow visually unbalanced. Perhaps the doors are disproportionately large or too small for the car? I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is definitely something letting the 3 door version down in the aesthetics department ……. Or, is it that I have been told by the wife that we are going to start trying for a family, and that we must have a 5 door car soon : ..... and I have just convinced myself that the 5 door looks better because I have no choice in the matter? :

And I’m really gonna have to eat humble pie here, I watched that Ford XR5 promo video (for the 8th time), and during the scene where the car pulls up on the grass and gets covered in petals, I thought to myself, man those rims look nice (I have previously stated my utter loathing of these wheels) . It could have just been the lens filter and angle of the camera shot, but for the first time (to my eyes), they looked great….maybe I will wait a while before ordering some new rims after all.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #85
amlohac

The shape of the old focus made the 5dr version look crappy. But i think the new shape makes the 3dr look crappy.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #86
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

-: NEWS FLASH :- XR5T have just came off the boat and on the docks of Melbourne tonight!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #87
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Personally i'll take the 5 door when i get the chance... but it'd be great for the 3 door version to be available for those who want it....
Old 18-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #88
kooky
WRX terrorist

Memo to FRA, better to close your mouth and be thought of an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt......
Old 18-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #89
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

it's also best not to jump to a conclusion without all the facts at hand... :rolleyes:
Old 18-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #90
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Few suggestions in this thread saying XR6T and XR5T arent related....

Im not sure thats true. We're going through a buying decision at the moment with two things in our heads...growing family and fuel consumption.

We've swayed from our initial thought of Territory for me (the commuter) to Territory for the wife (who actually moves the kids around and does 1/4 the kms). Why drive the big Terri to work and back empty every day (100kms a day)?

Anyway, leaves the gate open for me. Ordinarily I'd likely slap for the XR6T. Its what I'd REALLY like...but the timing is making me think.
1) My car is no longer going to be the 'people mover', so Im happy with enough extra space to carry the kids or some of them occasionally
2) The Falc is much dearer than XR5T to buy
3) The Falc is much dearer to run than the XR5T

What Im trying to say is Im that sort of buyer who has the two on my list. The XR5T being 5 door makes that happen. It means I can downsize and still enjoy something interesting and fun. And show some economic responsibility to the family by spending less initially, and having lower ongoing costs.

So for a buyer like me its a very real alternative. Im a bit distressed about supply suggestions above though....I dont have a ton of time to source a car and it may be that I'll have to pass it over just because I cant get one in the needed time frame (end of lease)....

I think Ford have brought this car out in a very timely fashion....and it will steal some XR6/6T sales courtesy of being a 5 door cheaper/smaller/more economical option for the mid-life crisis type

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post