Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #61
aaaaplay

Default Re: Ford Sat Nav Map Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutanti View Post
Ford Either Need to get their Act together and Get these maps up to Scratch themselves or give us the Software so users of the Satnav can setup Some online system where the People who Purchase a Car from the for $30k + etc can update them ourselves....
I believe that as we Have paid for the Satnav within the vehicle we should be Entitled to be able to update If, The naviextras toolbox is a good example if it worked.... Imagine in 5 - 10 years they would be useless..... Not far from it now with any new estates..
I live in Albury/Wodonga so I totally get what you mean by new estates, our estate is 2 years old and not on the map. Interestingly part of the new Wodonga ringroad is on my maps that only opened a few months ago.
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #62
mutanti
Turbo

Ford Response via Facebook
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #63
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the update mutanti, I am looking forward to the official reply.
Old 20-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #64
Nichol

Just jumped onto the Ford website, and saw this..

Focus LW/LW MkII
A map update is available.
Part Number: AB3919H449AB
Please contact your Authorised Ford Dealer for pricing information and to order the update.
Old 20-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #65
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol View Post
Just jumped onto the Ford website, and saw this..

Focus LW/LW MkII
Please contact your Authorised Ford Dealer for pricing information and to order the update.
Where did you see that? I just checked the sat nav update section and it said there was nothing available....
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #66
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nichol is correct.

This looks like version "AB" which was mentioned earlier and some already have. My previous experience is that this will cost $250.
Old 20-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #67
Nichol

Quite coincidental that they've put an update up on the website, after a couple of members had all gone back to Ford to ask about an update on their SD cards.
The response from Ford (from the link above), states that there will be an update at the end of 2013. Sooo does that there's not really a point in purchasing the updated maps on the website if they're going to update it again at the end of this year anyway?

"Ford Australia Hi Fred, the latest maps that are available for Focus customers were compiled at the end of 2012. The Nagambie bypass was formally opened to traffic in May 2013 and so wasn’t completed when the maps were compiled in 2012. The bypass will be included in the 2013 version of the maps, which will be released at the end of 2013."
Old 20-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #68
mutanti
Turbo

I don't believe People should be paying for the update if the maps are Older than the Purchase Date of their new Car... You would expect the maps to be Current of the release of the Car Date Give or take a few Months. Not Years
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #69
KosCo

I can confirm that a map update is available as is now shown on the Ford website --

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

Cost of this map update is $238.16 - a nice way of Ford adding $200 to the price of your car for those who have purchased their car in the last 12 months and ended up with the previous 3 year old maps.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #70
black13
born to be mild

I called the dealer i purchased my st from about the update, the service manager told me an update is now available, they told me the car needs to be connected to a cpu & updated, I asked about the cost & he told me it is a warranty recall so my st is booked for this friday for the update.
After booking my car I then called ford au asking about the sat nav update & the person i spoke with told me its a new card plus cpu time.
So it will be interesting the outcome, but going by what i was told by the service manager it should be no cost, i will update the outcome after i pick up the car
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #71
KosCo

Ok - I ordered and received the V4 map upgrade. Naturally, took the old SD card out and put in the new SD card. Result - "Error" - wouldn't look at the new card - can't even turn the entertainment unit on at all without getting an error message.

HELP !!! - has anyone gone through what is involved in getting it to accept the new SD card - can't find anything in the Owners Manual about what to do.

May have to take it into Ford but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Thanks
Old 24-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #72
xmax
Starter Motor

Turn the stereo on, take the old card out, put new card in, unit will update itself
xmax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #73
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I removed the old card when the stereo was off, fitted the new card then started the car. It asks you to install a file to the vehicle, once that's complete you should be right.

Did you try changing the card while the stereo was on?
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #74
KosCo

Thanks for the couple of suggestions mentioned below.

There are no instructions on how to install the new maps - thought it would just be a matter of swapping SD cards. The only information that I have been provided on the overall operations of Sat Nav is what is contained in the Owners Maunual - all of 4 pages of it. The TomTom in the other car has a guide that is 116 pages long.

Anyway, what I found was that when I inserted the new SD card - I got an error message "Navigation - Data Error - Check SD card". What I then found out was to basically ignore this error message and press OK. It then went on and installed the software and finally it all seems to be working.
Old 29-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #75
alokin123

i took my car in for a service and I asked about the updates and was told I needed to take the SD card out myself and connect it to a PC with internet connection??? that doesn't make sense at all
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #76
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
i took my car in for a service and I asked about the updates and was told I needed to take the SD card out myself and connect it to a PC with internet connection??? that doesn't make sense at all
If Only It Was that Easy.....
Believe me I have tried ...
Firstly we Need Access to the Maps.
@ Secondly we need access to the Software to get around their Security on SD Card.
Go back And Tell them what you can read in this thread, get their Spare parts man to look Up Part Number for Sd Card with

Or If you Can wait for a Few Months there will be a
"AC" Card..
Old 29-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #77
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
I can confirm that a map update is available as is now shown on the Ford website --

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

Cost of this map update is $238.16 - a nice way of Ford adding $200 to the price of your car for those who have purchased their car in the last 12 months and ended up with the previous 3 year old maps.
$240 for an update. Is there any way for a customer to do this without the help of Ford? Seems over the top when many mid spec navigators cost that much or below with free updates.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #78
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
$240 for an update. Is there any way for a customer to do this without the help of Ford? Seems over the top when many mid spec navigators cost that much or below with free updates.
I have tried to "Copy "Card with many various Methods and none work.
if It Did I'm Sure if One of us had it we would Share, But Ford have made this extremely hard.
I'm Afraid at this stage its about the only way.
If there was a way in to the System I would Change it to Sygic Navigation or tomtom etc but its Locked and not easy to get in.
For the Cost your better of with a Tomtom Via Ebay for $150 With FREE MAP UPDATES..

I'm Also not happy about this as A new Car should have maps to the Date they were Released for a Minimun.
I am sure a Upload on the ford website would make Ford Owners very happy but that does not make them $$$.
And they will try every way they can to get a Few $$$ of everyone if they can.
$250 Is A Joke.
Had it been $50 then it would not be so Bad and everyone would do it.
Old 29-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #79
harveyr

We have an 18 month old Focus Sport with Satnav - very unhappy with the ancient mapping, and the cost of an upgrade (and how up to date will the mapping be?).

I've also just bought a new Kuga Trend without Satnav. So I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT with lifetime updates from Dick Smith for only $119. The Garmin outperforms the Ford system in every way. Come on Ford get your act together!
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #80
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutanti View Post
$250 Is A Joke.
Had it been $50 then it would not be so Bad and everyone would do it.
Yes, $50 would be reasonable.

I said the same thing to TomTom... I have an early 3.5" model that has no free updates and they keep sending me emails to update for between $70 and $99.

2 problems. 1) The unit cost me $99, and I can buy a basic 4.3" unit with life time updates right now for around the same price. 2) Their updates scheme is actually a bundle of 4 updates over 12 months.

Now, if I've been driving around with 4 year old maps without too much issue, why would I then need to get 4 in a year? Had the update been a 1 off fee of $20 for 1 update I would have paid that no problems once a year.

I did send them this by email but they didn't reply.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #81
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well a short period after i emailed Ford CRC, i had new maps fitted to my ST free. Very happy with the customer service i received from CRC and my dealer.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #82
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Well a short period after i emailed Ford CRC, i had new maps fitted to my ST free. Very happy with the customer service i received from CRC and my dealer.
what did you actually write to get it for free?
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #83
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well in short, it doesnt know where i live but the new ones do (Was tested in a mates ST). And that i have purchased 2 new Fords (Over 70k worth in 2.5 years) and the service i received was fantastic. My car is due for an update and emergency assist aswell so i booked it in for that next week and they said we will just fit the new card today.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 16-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #84
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my maps updated to the version 4 card back in January for free can anyone let me know what version this update is?

Daily: UA11 BiTurbo Everest
Weekend Project 1999 AU XR8
Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

RIP: FGX XR8 MANUAL Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447239

AU Fairlane Sparkling Burgundy thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....61#post5854961

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

UT Explorer limited Written OFF

BA XR8
Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1299363&page=7

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
EVL BOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #85
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Version 4, its the newest at this point in time.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 26-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #86
hazrd
Red Rocket...

I managed to get my maps updated to v4 for free (after a long winded discussion with my dealer, and CRC). Apparently mine was meant to be updated while it was sitting in the lot, but an update was not sent to the dealership for it. Thus, me picking it up with the old 'AA' maps.

Same process as WILDB... Put the card in with the stereo on, it cracks it, press ok, then it downloads an update to the unit. Happy days.

I was also told by the dealer that when CRC were telling people to download the update to the SD card via computer, this was legit, for a short while, then they changed the process back to having to order a replacement SD card (no one knew why this process was changed).

While $240 seems a bit steep for an update, I'll probably still give in, and pay it, if I have to travel anywhere. Seems a bit silly having an aftermarket satnav stuck to the windscreen where there is a built in one sitting there already
Old 26-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #87
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazrd View Post
I managed to get my maps updated to v4 for free (after a long winded discussion with my dealer, and CRC). Apparently mine was meant to be updated while it was sitting in the lot, but an update was not sent to the dealership for it. Thus, me picking it up with the old 'AA' maps.

Same process as WILDB... Put the card in with the stereo on, it cracks it, press ok, then it downloads an update to the unit. Happy days.

I was also told by the dealer that when CRC were telling people to download the update to the SD card via computer, this was legit, for a short while, then they changed the process back to having to order a replacement SD card (no one knew why this process was changed).

While $240 seems a bit steep for an update, I'll probably still give in, and pay it, if I have to travel anywhere. Seems a bit silly having an aftermarket satnav stuck to the windscreen where there is a built in one sitting there already
Most Smart phones have really good Sat nav these days, Using Sygic on my Samsung s3 beats the ford sat nav hands down. Pity it couldn't be installed over the Ford System
Old 26-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #88
aaaaplay

Probably isn't much point in saying this but the MyFord Touch system uses Garmin like Chrysler-Fiat group vehicles.
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #89
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

With the new maps its pretty bloody good, i hate having a nav/phone hanging from the screen.
If i have to pay for the next update i dont mind as it keep the factory unit.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 26-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #90
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
With the new maps its pretty bloody good, i hate having a nav/phone hanging from the screen.
If i have to pay for the next update i dont mind as it keep the factory unit.
After spending 30K Plus you would expect a reasonable unit to be up to date to when car was Purchased

Last edited by mutanti; 26-08-2013 at 09:55 PM.