Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Re: Focus ST beats Toyota 86 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Shame there is no DSG available. Would have considered it as a daily but Sydney stop start traffic 5 days a week in a manual is a deal breaker.
Seconded. Reading another carsguide write up on it, they made mention of the fuel economy - stated for the 6 speed manual version. It sort of implied there's possibly an auto version kicking around somewhere.

I spend a lot of my day driving in Sydney traffic and after owning a manual XR8, then buying a DSG R32 (which my knee thanked me for..) then going into a manual R8 - I think my manual days are over.. and I can bend my left knee again.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

After playing around with a st yesterday I am seriously considering trading in my gt for one. They are a lot better than u might think
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its not competing in the same "class", but they're the same price, really the only difference is one drives the rear wheels and the other drives the front, I don't care about that.

For me that means I'd cross shop them both.

To me, "hot hatch" and "sports" are the same.
Yes and to some people Camry and Falcon are in the same class.

But then others who actually have some understanding about motor vehicles would think that those people had no idea and would be very amused should there be a post of a car enthusiast forum by someone stating this.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #34
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Shame there is no DSG available. Would have considered it as a daily but Sydney stop start traffic 5 days a week in a manual is a deal breaker.
Yeah, I hear the Focus ST has a pretty heavy clutch, be a lot of work
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes and to some people Camry and Falcon are in the same class.

But then others who actually have some understanding about motor vehicles would think that those people had no idea and would be very amused should there be a post of a car enthusiast forum by someone stating this.
Meh, I don't profess to be gods gift to motor vehicles, I just state what I think and probably what mr joe average is thinking.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #36
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I often wonder if people who bark on about the evils of not having RWD are the same people that their own car is a RWD and Auto. Can we even taken those people seriously? At least sell your auto for a manual and then you can add weight to the arguement.
WTF are you on about? That would have to be the most stupidest post I have read in a long time! You are very narrow minded obviously?

I would say comparing the 2 vehicles biggest factors would be as stated:
no auto option, and 2 door would be no good for families. They would be big limiting factors in peoples final decision.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
LukeyST
ST fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisosicko
After playing around with a st yesterday I am seriously considering trading in my gt for one. They are a lot better than u might think
THIS is a big statement to make. Good to hear from someone who has actually driven one also!
Old 14-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Meh, I don't profess to be gods gift to motor vehicles, I just state what I think and probably what mr joe average is thinking.

But Mr Joe Average isn't a car enthusiast, so who really cares what he thinks?

What I do agree with you on though, is that the Focus and 86 can, and will be cross shopped by a lot of buyers. And I suspect to the people who do cross shop them, the RWD vs FWD aspect will be less of a factor than other points of difference such as rear seats or an automatic transmission.

Make no mistake though, the Toyota is the sports car, the Ford is the sporty car. Big difference.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Good luck to them?

It seems all the RWD fanboys on here drive auto Falcons/Commodores and its superior to any FWD car, just because it drives the rear wheels.

Falcon and Commodore do their job perfectly fine as a family sedan, don't get me wrong, but they're hardly the best in handling and driving dynamics really, it goes fairly quick in a straight line and thats it.
Read this thread: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11379071 and tell me once again how awful the falcon and commodore is with its handling and bad dynamics. Can you see how fast the F6 and XR6 Turbo goes around that track, and the cars its beating? (All cars are stock)

Last edited by XR6Runner; 14-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mr Joe Average will buy neither as they are both above average in performance and price while both below average in comfort, fuel economy and ease of operation.
Old 14-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Mr Joe Average will buy neither as they are both above average in performance and price while both below average in comfort, fuel economy and ease of operation.
I'd buy one and I'd consider myself "average", its on the list, but I'm not a "car enthusiast" either because I like modern FWD cars?
Old 14-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #42
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

Seems to be a lot of people knocking them without driving either of them, use should expect to see a lot of both of these cars on the road.
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd buy one and I'd consider myself "average", its on the list, but I'm not a "car enthusiast" either because I like modern FWD cars?
Why would you buy the ST for $40k over a standard Focus for $20k other than you are a car enthusiast?
Old 14-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

How does a positive thread end like this? If you don't like the car or FWD of vice versa why post. Some people will never be happy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'll go on record as saying that the average new vehicle buyer profile does not prefer Ford or modern RWD cars.
Our Aussie market is now so fragmented that using terms like average buyer are pretty much meaningless.....
No one is an average buyer, we all have set criteria our new vehicles have to fill, that's why the market is so diverse.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Why would you buy the ST for $40k over a standard Focus for $20k other than you are a car enthusiast?
Its a nicer car, with some power behind it, its like how you see the middle aged men and their wives driving Mazda 3 MPS etc I guess?
Old 14-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #47
Vormund

Thought I'd pop into this thread since I've actually just put an order for a 86.

I'm not going to lie, RWD was a factor in me choosing the car. I like the way it sounds, handles and the low seating and centre of gravity. FWIW, the GTS model suffers from an 18 month wait, the cheaper GT (which I ordered) is around 4-6 months. My price is $33k driveaway.

In the end buy what you like, and be thankful for the amount of choice in the market that we have.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its a nicer car, with some power behind it, its like how you see the middle aged men and their wives driving Mazda 3 MPS etc I guess?
And you cannot understand that a person who chooses a nicer, more expensive, more powerful model of a car with a rougher ride and manual only transmission is a "car enthusiast"?
Old 14-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #49
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read the review in the Sunday times today - just half-a-point in it (20.5 to the ST Vs 20 points to the Toyota 86) but a win is a win; more so as it's Cars-guide awarding the win!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #50
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting seeing peoples opinions on hot hatches and FWD layouts.
I guess I'm super lucky to have a hot hatch that's RWD
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #51
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I read the review in the Sunday times today - just half-a-point in it (20.5 to the ST Vs 20 points to the Toyota 86) but a win is a win; more so as it's Cars-guide awarding the win!
"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile: winning is winning."

Considering the amount of positive press (tho some significant negative, but we'll let that pass) the 86 had got, the fact that the ST stayed with and beat the 86 has to be great news for Ford fans...

Who cares if the car is fwd or rwd? Really? Would those rwd die hards prefer a Gemini to a fwd ST? Please.

Fun is fun.

A sports car is a sports car: rwd or fwd or awd....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #52
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
There is one big box it doesn't tick... RWD
Shhh...don't mention that...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #53
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I'm seriously considering this car to replace the partners Mirage. It sounds like a beauty. Manual is perfect for us because that's all we want to drive.
Old 14-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #54
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Who cares if the car is fwd or rwd? Really?

Not sure who cares. Maybe the people waiting up to 3 years for their RWD 86 on order?

Or maybe the dealerships care, the ones who are selling more RWD 86s than all other models combined?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #55
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Can we keep the chat about the ST vs 86 thanks. I dont go into other new car threads and complain they are wrong wheel drive so id expect the same in return.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 14-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Or maybe the dealerships care, the ones who are selling more RWD 86s than all other models combined?
So the Toyota 86 is outselling the Toyota Camry and every other Toyota model put together? Ok then..... lol

Or are you claiming the 86 is outselling the Golf Gti, Wrx, megane 250, Clio Cup, old Ford XR5, Mazda mx5, Polo gti, Fabia rs, Veloster n/a and turbo etc. combined?

Oh well. Don't let facts get in the way I guess.....

Again, the huge wait is due to extremely limited numbers... ie. very few available...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Veloster turbo is 0-100 in high 6's for the manual, mid 6's for the auto. My buddies' Veloster turbo is about a car length slower down the quarter mile than my Polo Gti, and the Polo runs high 14's. So in terms of outright performance, the Veloster turbo would be on par with the Focus ST. The Veloster is also a surprisingly good handler, although my mates has aftermarket rims and rubber.

Also, I've said it before, but its such a pity the Focus ST doesn't come with an automatic option of any sort. It limits the buying audience substantially, and counts it out as a possible upgrade for me completely.
Mid 8's more like it. The Veloster turbo is a bit of a dissapointment cause its not really that quick. All reviews come to the same conclusion, thats its a warm hatch and nothing more, and would be carved up by any decent hot hatch on the market.

To compare it to a ST is laughable, it would eat it in everyway.

I do agree with you thats its dissapointing it didn't come with the option of a DSG, which I can't understand because they already have one in other versions of the Focus. It definately cuts out a huge potential number of buyers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #58
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mid 8's lol. It's dead even to 100 with our Polo GTi and its high 6's to 100. What would I know though, I've only driven them lol.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Veloster on par with the ST, that made me hell it wouldnt even keep up with an XR5.
Then get them on a decent road and the ST would run rings around the Veloster (I like the Veloster)
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 14-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #60
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Veloster on par with the ST, that made me hell it wouldnt even keep up with an XR5.
Then get them on a decent road and the ST would run rings around the Veloster (I like the Veloster)
So you've driven the Veloster turbo?
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post