Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #61
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: Focus Titanium vs Cruze SRi-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
I'm at work, just spoke to my wife who is running around with the Focus; she informs me that "it's noisy" and "bumpy". That's the tyres,I heard it last night. At first I thought it was a gearbox whine, but after a bit more driving realised it was the tyres.

We're not fussy, we drive a Territory and it is smooth, quiet and has a better turning circle than the Focus with 17inch wheels.

The Sport was fine, but I'm wondering whether the Titanium with 16in wheels will have a better turning circle than the 17in. The problem I see is that the dealer changes the wheels over, but it's the factory that adjusts the steering to stop wheel scrub with the 17's.

Will the dealer be able to re-adjust for the 16's?
Should read like this:

I'm at work, just spoke to my wife who is running around with the Focus; she informs me that "it's noisy" and "bumpy". That's the tyres,I heard it last night. At first I thought it was a gearbox whine, but after a bit more driving realised it was the tyres.

We're not fussy, we drive a Territory and it is smooth, quiet and has a better turning circle than the Focus with 18inch wheels.

The Sport was fine, but I'm wondering whether the Titanium with 17in wheels will have a better turning circle than the 18in. The problem I see is that the dealer changes the wheels over, but it's the factory that adjusts the steering to stop wheel scrub with the 18's.

Will the dealer be able to re-adjust for the 17's?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #62
wombat66

Ford need to correct their website then. I think 18" wheels are starting to get a bit big. That's just my opinion though.
Old 28-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #63
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66
Ford need to correct their website then. I think 18" wheels are starting to get a bit big. That's just my opinion though.
You were correct; Sport 17in wheels.

18's should be an option on the Sport, for people that care more about handling than comfort.

I'll be asking for the Sport 17's on the Titanium. Fingers crossed it's all good.

Old 28-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #64
wombat66

I'm sure you'll love the car.
Old 30-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #65
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66
I'm sure you'll love the car.
I did.

However, there was one issue - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...75#post4101575

Old 31-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #66
Pete A
Boss 260

Having owned (my missus) Titanium for about 3 months now and having test driven the Cruz, Golf, Pug and Hyundai in the decision process, I can honestly say I made the right decision by a country mile.

My only criticism I have of the Focus is the turning circle. It is way too high but if you know about it you can adjust for it after a while. It doesn't concern me now. Indicators on the left? C'mon people. All Eurpoean imports have it on the left. It is not even an issue.

At 300kms old I drove it to Qld and back over 5 days (2,500kms) and it performed beautifully. The chassis is one of the best I've ever driven. tight and responsive. I'm a big bloke and the seats were - OK over a long trip. For a smaller bloke it would be nice. 18' wheels? Pilot 3 tyres? good combination and much easier to clean over the other options. Interior finish was as good as the Golf and much better equipped for the same money. Lots of other evidence of German build as well. Just a bit above par to other Aussie built Fords. They say the Thai built ones will have the same standards - but let's see. Can't wait for the Turbo one later this year. ~180 Kw. Looking a for a 2nd car to my FG6T.

Golf 1.4 L engine was sluggish down low. Unbearably so. The Ford 2 L deal much better overall. At cruise speeds the engine and Tranny perform quite well.

If you're concerned about the turning cirle, get a fully optioned Sport. Yu don't miss out on much. Still a cut abovethe others. Just park assist which the missus isn't game to use - even though it works wuite well.

My 2 cents worth. Cheers
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #67
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Pete A, it all sounds good but the Sport doesn't option up so well.

Sadly, it looks like we may be back in the market, hunting:
Wanted - Small sedan (Focus size); must be smooth and quiet on Aussie roads, have leather trim, climate control, Nav system, 6 speed auto, good turning circle, electric seat/s.

Old 31-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #68
jonohoang

Quote:

Wanted - Small sedan (Focus size); must be smooth and quiet on Aussie roads, have leather trim, climate control, Nav system, 6 speed auto, good turning circle, electric seat/s.
If the focus offers all you wanted, couldn't you negotiate the sports 17" wheels with the titanium package. I am sure they will be able to sort something out for you
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #69
leonbray
Cougar Owner

My brother just picked up a Mazda 3 but had the dealer fit the lower spec wheels and tires because of the ride of the big wheels. Dealer didn't have a problem doing it?

why not try an XR6 with the new injected LPG?

Take the Kia Optima Platinum for a run. I think you will be surprised.

AUIII XLS with Tickford bits, 1968 XR7 (302W 4v roller cam), 1969 Convertible (302W),
leonbray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #70
burnz
VFII SS UTE

johny have you tried the diesel's in both cars yet??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #71
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohoang
If the focus offers all you wanted, couldn't you negotiate the sports 17" wheels with the titanium package. I am sure they will be able to sort something out for you
Maughan Thiem Ford a looking into it for me, but doesn't look positive. The factory resets the steering to stop the 18's scrubbing the inner guard, that's what stuffs up the turning circle.

Dealer is checking if the Titanium steering can be reset to the Sport's specs once wheels are changed.

Old 31-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #72
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbray
My brother just picked up a Mazda 3 but had the dealer fit the lower spec wheels and tires because of the ride of the big wheels. Dealer didn't have a problem doing it?

why not try an XR6 with the new injected LPG?

Take the Kia Optima Platinum for a run. I think you will be surprised.
My brother has the 3, can't stop raving about it. I don't like the front, especially after hearing what the Yanks call it; Clown Car.

XR6 is nice, but we already have a large car, the Territory.

Haven't looked at a Kia, don't even know what it looks like, will Google it.

Old 31-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #73
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
johny have you tried the diesel's in both cars yet??
No i haven't. Thought about it, on and off. A lot of pros for it, but petrol is in my blood.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #74
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's official; Focus is off the list.

Why? - 17in wheels can not be fitted to the Titanium due to different steering and Stability control software.

The dealer is going to drop of a brochure on the Mondeo. It's bigger than what we originally wanted, and in another price category, but we'll look.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #75
nickdl

Mazda 3 SP20 Luxury is around $2k less than the Titanium. It's slightly less powerful but slightly more fuel efficient and has 16s. I'm pretty sure it has sat-nav and full leather too.

Otherwise if you don't really care about driving there's little wrong with the sri-v Cruze. Maybe worth a look is the Hyundai Elantra, although that's probably not nearly as good as the other two.
nickdl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #76
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdl
Mazda 3 SP20 Luxury is around $2k less than the Titanium. It's slightly less powerful but slightly more fuel efficient and has 16s. I'm pretty sure it has sat-nav and full leather too.

Otherwise if you don't really care about driving there's little wrong with the sri-v Cruze. Maybe worth a look is the Hyundai Elantra, although that's probably not nearly as good as the other two.
Cheers for that.

We've expanded our list, and will take our time making a purchase; original plan was to have signed up by end of January, we now will wait till the time is right.

The list includes, in no particular order, -

Cruze SRi-V is back on the list.
VE Equipe (wife likes it, and it's Aussie built).
Mondeo (looks good but longer than a Falcon, & it's a hatch).
Camry Altise or Atara (not a Camry person, but their options list is long).
Mazda 6 (looks good, but is large and lacks a 6 speed auto).
VW Jetta (wife likes it, I'm not a VW fan).
Hyundai i45 (wife likes it, they sponsor the A-League, but I'm not so sure).
Hyundai Elantra - haven't looked at one yet, will now.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #77
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car manufacturers spend millions on design and development and still build cars with bad turning circles, harsh suspension etc. And drive thousands of k's in testing and still have problems !!! Hyundai had suspension problems with the i45 and rectified it..why cann't Ford on the Focus ????????? I suppose because in Europe, Focus drives well on their roads but on our crap roads it brings the faults out?????
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #78
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
No i haven't. Thought about it, on and off. A lot of pros for it, but petrol is in my blood.
you need a diesel transfusion, go on you know you want too..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #79
blatchie

Mine sits down and corners like its on rails. Have not had to do a full lock turn yet so I cant complain. I love the ride I get from it.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #80
jonohoang

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
Mine sits down and corners like its on rails. Have not had to do a full lock turn yet so I cant complain. I love the ride I get from it.
The Sports is fine, it is just the titanium that has the bad turning circle.

I really hope I don't regret upgrading to the titanium last minute.
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #81
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Does the Focus sport come with Active Park Assist or is that a Titanium option only? What about the Mondeo titanium, does come with APA?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #82
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Does the Focus Sport come with Active Park Assist or is that a Titanium option only? What about the Mondeo titanium, does come with APA?
No and no. Only on the Focus Titanium at this stage.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #83
Mollusc
Starter Motor

No regrets on a Titanium Diesel here. The turning circle is not great but when it all comes down to it it is rarely a problem. I also haven't got any concerns about the supposed "rough" ride. Maybe the lesser models ride better but I'm happy with the ride in the Titanium and I much prefer the look (and ease of cleaning) of the 18" wheels.
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #84
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusc
No regrets on a Titanium Diesel here. The turning circle is not great but when it all comes down to it it is rarely a problem. I also haven't got any concerns about the supposed "rough" ride. Maybe the lesser models ride better but I'm happy with the ride in the Titanium and I much prefer the look (and ease of cleaning) of the 18" wheels.
Interesting response. I can see where you are coming from and I reckon I would be the same as you with regards to turning circle etc. The Titanium's features alone will overshadow a lot of it's smaller undoings.

Do you have the TDI or the petrol?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #85
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Great to hear.

The turning circle and ride quality would never have affected everyone, but it would have been smart planning by Ford to have had the option of 17in rims to accommodate those that preferred a smoother drive and better turning (might have even one COTY).

On another note, the dealer never got back to me with a brochure on the Mondeo. The again, I hear that a new model is only months away.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #86
Mollusc
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Interesting response. I can see where you are coming from and I reckon I would be the same as you with regards to turning circle etc. The Titanium's features alone will overshadow a lot of it's smaller undoings.

Do you have the TDI or the petrol?
It's a TDi and its the first diesel I have owned. A little noisy at idle but it cruises quietly, is economical and has impressive torque.
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #87
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
It's a TDi and its the first diesel I have owned. A little noisy at idle but it cruises quietly, is economical and has impressive torque.
That's basically the model I'd love to own. Does your have the sunroof? Because that's what I would be aiming for when the time comes. Titanium Diesel with sunroof in black or dark grey.

The notorious diesel idle is something I expect. The Golf's have a similar idle quality in their tdi range as well. How have you found the servicing costs?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #88
blatchie

I may powder coat my sports wheels black so you dont see the dust
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #89
1TUFFUTE
Banned

im having sooo much trouble believing that a turning circle on a smallish car is such a BIG issue...im tempted to say get over it cus youll never notice it anyway...me or my bro and our wifes have had ZERO dramas yet and we have 18s
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #90
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
im having sooo much trouble believing that a turning circle on a smallish car is such a BIG issue...im tempted to say get over it cus youll never notice it anyway...me or my bro and our wifes have had ZERO dramas yet and we have 18s
I must admit it puzzles me as well. Mind you, I don't know what all the fuss is over having the indicator on the LHS, but people raise a ruckus over that one as well.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post