Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Bi66uy

Default BiGgUy1988's New Ride

Hi people.
I have finally bought my first ford after driving my 1990 corolla around for 2 and a 1/2 years.
I can't say that the corolla was a bad car (actually it was quite good) but driving a 4 cylinder hasn't fancy me lately.
I bought a White 1997 EL Fairmont for $6200 from a dealer (i think thats pretty good). It has 151,000 on the clock, and the yard did about a $1000 of work on the car before we bought it.
I'll get pictures of the car fairly soon to show you.
The only problem i found is that the brake lights stop working, but we think that either the brake switch may have died or when the yard have replaced the rotors and pads, they haven't pulled the brake cable off and it has stretched the brake cable, and we've also noticed that the connection going to the brake pedal is very loose, so maybe it just needs to be pushed on the pedal properly. Apart from that, the car is excellent.
I couldn't be happier to have bought this car and i must say, the wait was worth it.

(P.S. If anyone has any other theories why the brake lights stop working, plz let me know).

Bi66uy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGgUy1988
Hi people.
I have finally bought my first ford after driving my 1990 corolla around for 2 and a 1/2 years.
I can't say that the corolla was a bad car (actually it was quite good) but driving a 4 cylinder hasn't fancy me lately.
I bought a White 1997 EL Fairmont for $6200 from a dealer (i think thats pretty good). It has 151,000 on the clock, and the yard did about a $1000 of work on the car before we bought it.
I'll get pictures of the car fairly soon to show you.
The only problem i found is that the brake lights stop working, but we think that either the brake switch may have died or when the yard have replaced the rotors and pads, they haven't pulled the brake cable off and it has stretched the brake cable, and we've also noticed that the connection going to the brake pedal is very loose, so maybe it just needs to be pushed on the pedal properly. Apart from that, the car is excellent.
I couldn't be happier to have bought this car and i must say, the wait was worth it.

(P.S. If anyone has any other theories why the brake lights stop working, plz let me know).

Good stuff mate, sounds very nice!

Having recently gone from a 94 Corolla to an EF, trust me when I say it will be much more enjoyable to own!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

As having many brake/headlight issues check that none of the metal pins in the globes are crossed as ive had that happen on a brake light and caused much confusion. Also just check that it's not just a fuse. Other than that ur prob right.
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

Welcome to the forums! Got any pics of the car?

It certainly sounds like your brake switch has died. It's just under the brake pedal and are prone to failure on EF/EL

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

The brake light problem will more than likely be the brake switch, it's a very common problem in E-Series. The link below has a guide on how to replace them.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=23

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
MIEF9640

Wink new one

Sounds good look forward to seeing photo's of it sure beats drivin a rice burner welcome also to e-series :evilsasmo
MIEF9640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

Sounds like a nice ride you picked up mate. Throw those photos up as a soon as you can.
And welcome to the forums!
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
Bi66uy

Here are two pics:

By the way, my father and i fixed the brake light problem. All we did was pulled the plug off the switch, cleaned the brass plates and closed the pins on the plug and it has seemed to work. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Old 29-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
FordGirl
The Goodz' PR Manager

Got any plans for it?
Old 29-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
Bi66uy

I'm looking into getting some 16' mags and some 6' speakers for the rear. Nothing too special.
Old 30-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Bi66uy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGgUy1988
Here are two pics:

By the way, my father and i fixed the brake light problem. All we did was pulled the plug off the switch, cleaned the brass plates and closed the pins on the plug and it has seemed to work. Thanks for the advice anyway.
I just posted two better pictures of the car. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
Bi66uy

You wouldn't have guessed what happened on tues night. The brake switch blew as i was pulling up the driveway (talk about luck). So my father and i bought a genuine brake switch from ford for $42 and because the car has its 3 month warranty, we got the yard to fit it for nothing. I got it back this afternoon and it works like a dream. Worth the $42 for it. Also the switch has the standard 12 month or 20,000km ford warranty, so you can't get much better than that. Once again, thanks for the feedback and i'm happy to be a member of this forum. Cheers _2: .
Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 AM   #13
Maximus
ED XR6

She's a nice-a Automocaaa!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

Very nice ride mate, good luck with it.

Hopefully no more little troubles with it.. they get annoying ;)