Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #61
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Road safety experts propose levy on large SUVs in city to curb rising Victorian road deaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
The 1910 Ranger width I quoted was without mirrors:

https://www.ford.com.au/content/dam/...ugust_2023.pdf

Dont know where 1860mm came from
PX models had the width of 1860 not the new RA ranger model, with mirrors an extra 100mm which is negligible since you can fold them. you can check the specs in this brochure.

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/F...tions_2012.pdf
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2023, 07:07 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Road safety experts propose levy on large SUVs in city to curb rising Victorian road deaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
RA ranger is obviously slightly wider. 1860 is for PX series.

5cm hardly noticeable.
I dunno man, I don't think I can spare 5cm to lose before she's not gonna work anymore

... Mine fits in more places

My Fiesta of course
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2023, 07:31 PM   #63
prydey
Rob

Speaking of penalties for larger cars, aren't utes classed as commercial vehicles, so already pay a premium through rego? No doubt it varies from state to state.
Old 27-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Speaking of penalties for larger cars, aren't utes classed as commercial vehicles, so already pay a premium through rego? No doubt it varies from state to state.
Depends on where you are for Victoria,

Ute rego for me is a few hundred bucks cheaper than my Focus and Fiesta, because I'm regional,

However if you're in Melbourne, utes are more expensive than passenger vehicles.

You also get dicked on utes with toll roads, they're charged out at more.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2023, 07:52 PM   #65
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes i think i pay touch over $300 per qtr for the ute
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2023, 10:06 PM   #66
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
My ranger is classed commercial, pay extra for the road tolls over normal cars but here is the kicker, I pay less rego than my wifes KN ford laser.

Victoria the Weird state to live!

PS: Hey Franco, I live in surbia, so much for the burbs paying more than country, think that changed eons ago.

Last edited by Itsme; 27-08-2023 at 10:11 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2023, 10:27 PM   #67
prydey
Rob

So essentially, there is already a tax on these cars...

Yet people still buy them.
Old 27-08-2023, 10:29 PM   #68
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another average day on the roads.

Only a greater police presence on the roads will lower fatalities.
Hiding behind trees with speed cameras doesn't work.

These are very short

Multiple Cam angles of this incident.

Like I said idiots are just idiots, no matter what car you put them in.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #69
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
....I pay less rego than my wifes KN ford laser.

Victoria the Weird state to live!....
Its always been like that. Cheaper rego becasue you are using it solely for work.
I think you'll find its not registered when you are using it for non business purposes.
Car in the first vidoe is a total write off lol. Second video, very lucky not to hit a tree, would have been certain fatility.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #70
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
Its always been like that. Cheaper rego becasue you are using it solely for work.
I think you'll find its not registered when you are using it for non business purposes.
Car in the first vidoe is a total write off lol. Second video, very lucky not to hit a tree, would have been certain fatility.
Hmmm maybe but in my case my ranger is registered for private use only, nothing to do with commercial use.
Linkt (city link) classified the Ranger as commercial for tolls.

Cheers
Old 28-08-2023, 08:44 PM   #71
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember that a Commodore Ute has cheaper Tolls in Victoria than a Falcon Ute.
The Commodore was classed as a Passenger Vehicle and the Falcon a light Commercial.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...h-grab-103455/
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2023, 12:52 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
My ranger is classed commercial, pay extra for the road tolls over normal cars but here is the kicker, I pay less rego than my wifes KN ford laser.

Victoria the Weird state to live!

PS: Hey Franco, I live in surbia, so much for the burbs paying more than country, think that changed eons ago.
That's strange, not sure why I thought utes were more expensive to register than passenger vehicles in Melbourne

Here's a weird one for you,

My Focus is $742 for rego
My ACCO is $2000 or so for rego

Why is the Focus so expensive in comparison to the truck? One weighs 1400kg, and the other has a GVM of 24 tonnes, three axles and 10x (large and heavy) wheels, its going to do a hell of a lot more wear and tear on infrastructure than the Focus, much more so compared to the difference in registration costs.

Focus is expensive to register IMO using the truck as the yardstick.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-08-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 29-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #73
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's strange, not sure why I thought utes were more expensive to register than passenger vehicles in Melbourne

Why is the Focus so expensive in comparison to the truck? One weighs 1400kg, and the other has a GVM of 24 tonnes, three axles and 10x (large and heavy) wheels, its going to do a hell of a lot more wear and tear on infrastructure than the Focus, much more so compared to the difference in registration costs.

Focus is expensive to register IMO using the truck as the yardstick.

Easy fix!… When ACCO rego due, send em $5000 to ease your conscience?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Easy fix!… When ACCO rego due, send em $5000 to ease your conscience?
I prefer the other way around, they get $100 for the Focus

If it was a 6x4 prime mover it'd be over $5000, it steps up massively the moment you go to one of those.
Old 29-08-2023, 08:47 PM   #75
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:

Why is the Focus so expensive in comparison to the truck?.....
More than half of the $742 rego is compulsory TAC insurance (injury and death). Probably simialr TAC insurance for the truck (roughly $400), so $1600 rego vs $340.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2023, 12:56 AM   #76
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
or we could just ban bull bars like most other countries.
What about those of us who live away from the suburban street lights?
Old 30-08-2023, 01:06 AM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Depends on which electorate you live in and if we need your vote for the next election for our colour tie to win, of course.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2023, 02:24 PM   #78
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
why does that make a difference? maybe it's random, but I'm in country Vic and have never even been close to needing bars
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2023, 03:15 PM   #79
Johnscone
Starter Motor

I believe that their idea is to force everyone into very small electric vehicles. Electric cars provide a measure of control , so if you post anything anti-gov your house power (and therefore your charging point for your elec. vehicle) can be cut off or rationed. Elec. vehicles have a shorter range too, so this will suit the 15 minute cities that are coming our way.
Johnscone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #80
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

that's a bit of a conspiracy theory and it actually sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. do you even know what a 15 minute city is? if you did, you'd understand that the theory doesn't even include cars! its about everything being a 15 minute walk, cycle, or bus ride away.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #81
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having seen some of the damage done by roos, I'd say roo bars have a useful function in the rural areas.

Going back to SUVs in the city, I've been driving the folk's Kia Sorrento SUV for the past month, whilst waiting for my sedan to have its timing job done. Whilst the SUV is comfortable and gives a better range of view up front, there are a lot of blind spots back of the front windows. Would be interesting to see data on cause of road injuries and fatalities around the "city", and how many had blind spots contributing to it.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2023, 05:28 PM   #82
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Having seen some of the damage done by roos, I'd say roo bars have a useful function in the rural areas.

Going back to SUVs in the city, I've been driving the folk's Kia Sorrento SUV for the past month, whilst waiting for my sedan to have its timing job done. Whilst the SUV is comfortable and gives a better range of view up front, there are a lot of blind spots back of the front windows. Would be interesting to see data on cause of road injuries and fatalities around the "city", and how many had blind spots contributing to it.
Every accident that is recorded with a fatality will have the information you speak of, police will investigate the accident and forward the information onto the coroner, then it is up to the coroner to give any recommendations from the inquest.
Old 31-08-2023, 06:01 AM   #83
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
why does that make a difference? maybe it's random, but I'm in country Vic and have never even been close to needing bars
I live in country Queensland, and I've had to dodge 'roos before I even make it out of the driveway....

Heck, I've gone out into the front yard at night to turn the sprinklers off and I've been surprised by 'roos coming onto the lawn for a snack!
Old 31-08-2023, 09:41 AM   #84
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscone View Post
I believe that their idea is to force everyone into very small electric vehicles. Electric cars provide a measure of control , so if you post anything anti-gov your house power (and therefore your charging point for your elec. vehicle) can be cut off or rationed. Elec. vehicles have a shorter range too, so this will suit the 15 minute cities that are coming our way.
LoL what? Nothing you wrote is remotely true.
I am not sure whether you need to get off the drugs or get on them.
Old 31-08-2023, 11:47 AM   #85
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
LoL what? Nothing you wrote is remotely true.
I am not sure whether you need to get off the drugs or get on them.
LOL. We can laugh for now i guess. I also read that the reason we are all going cashless is to do the same. Someone can get cancelled by the click of a button.
Old 31-08-2023, 11:53 AM   #86
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
LOL. We can laugh for now i guess. I also read that the reason we are all going cashless is to do the same. Someone can get cancelled by the click of a button.
LoL if that were remotely even true, it is possible now. Almost everything is online, but there is no magic button.
Old 31-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #87
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I live in country Queensland, and I've had to dodge 'roos before I even make it out of the driveway....

Heck, I've gone out into the front yard at night to turn the sprinklers off and I've been surprised by 'roos coming onto the lawn for a snack!
Vote 1 Franco-Bjelke Petersen

I'll make it legal to have bullbars on the front AND back of the car in exchange for that 1 in the box.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #88
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Vote 1 Franco-Bjelke Petersen

I'll make it legal to have bullbars on the front AND back of the car in exchange for that 1 in the box.
Written like a true politician.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2023, 08:50 PM   #89
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the other angle with climate. Gotta love these dickheads. Just waiting till they try this on a cashed up bogan and are caught

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...8e73646d826dfc
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2023, 09:11 PM   #90
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This would be on the tombstone of a Tyre Extinguisher if I caught them in the act.

Here lies a Tyre Extinguisher.
As suggested, Emergency Action was taken and the city is now 1 less person over crowded,
This guy cared so much for the environment,
I helped him with his cause, and he is now fertilising the tree he is buried beneath.
May this tree grow big and strong and help reduce the pollution for many many years.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: