Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Skooter

Default some drive train questions

So this year I am going to start properly doing things to my car on my list are shaved door handles, manual conversion and maybe LSD and possibly cam.

My questions are,
1) I want to fit an ef/el gear box because apparently they are stonger and nicer to drive, is this true or should I just go a eb-ed box?(I dont want an ea box).
2) If I do put an ef/el box in does the ef/el ecu have to go in aswell(I dont want to do that resistor mod thingo) or would a manual eb-ed ecu do the job and is that the only thing different between that and an eb-ed box like does it still plug into that plug under the car?
3) Would my wagon tailshaft fit the ef/el box?
4) with diff gears, can my single spinner diff be converted to LSD with different gears or is it better to just buy a second hand lsd and have it serviced?

Theres probably more questions but i cant think of them right now, by the way it's and '93 EBII I6 wagon s-pac

Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Maximus
ED XR6

The EF/L Trannys shouldn't be that much better than the EB/D ones should they?
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
So this year I am going to start properly doing things to my car on my list are shaved door handles, manual conversion and maybe LSD and possibly cam.

My questions are,
1) I want to fit an ef/el gear box because apparently they are stonger and nicer to drive, is this true or should I just go a eb-ed box?(I dont want an ea box).
2) If I do put an ef/el box in does the ef/el ecu have to go in aswell(I dont want to do that resistor mod thingo) or would a manual eb-ed ecu do the job and is that the only thing different between that and an eb-ed box like does it still plug into that plug under the car?
3) Would my wagon tailshaft fit the ef/el box?
4) with diff gears, can my single spinner diff be converted to LSD with different gears or is it better to just buy a second hand lsd and have it serviced?

Theres probably more questions but i cant think of them right now, by the way it's and '93 EBII I6 wagon s-pac
1) EF/EL gearboxes were 'supposedly' stronger, and have different ratios. I have been using an EA T5 for about 6 months now, and have had no problems with it. I have about 185rwhp too, and it's holding up ok. 200+ rwhp will kill them though, if driven incorrectly.

EA Box has shorter ratios, meaning higher reving box. EB2 to EL boxes, have longer ratios, to cope with the high diff ratios. EA's never had 3.45 diffs. So ford had shorter ratios in the gearbox to give the car some pick up and go.

2) The wiring is only for: Reverse lights, speedo and neutral switch. They have the same connections regardless of what model T5 they are.

3) Wagon tailshaft should fit? Maybe someone else knows for sure..

4) I bought my second hand EBII XR6 3.45 LSD for about a 1/4 of the price it would have cost to get another diff made up. You can pick up bargains if you know where to look.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
66 coupe
around the place

The 5 speeds throughout the models are all much the same, you'll break any one of them if you give it too much of a hard time. EA 5 speeds had a shorter 1st and 2nd gear which helps get off the line a lot quicker.
You can your current ECU use an EL auto or manual ECU (auto ones need to be modified accordingly) EL ecu it will make it go a bit better than the EB ecu.

Your diff is currently 3.23:1, you can convert to LSD, or also go 3.45 gears with lsd, depends on what 5 speed you put in, the EA 5 speed goes well with 3.23, whereas later boxes are better with 3.45 or 3.7s
Old 30-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 coupe
Your diff is currently 3.23:1, you can convert to LSD, or also go 3.45 gears with lsd, depends on what 5 speed you put in, the EA 5 speed goes well with 3.23, whereas later boxes are better with 3.45 or 3.7s
Yeah that's right. Except I'm using the EA T5 with the 3.45 LSD, and I find it's a bullet off the line, and still ok cruising at approx 2100rpm @ 100km/hr, much the same cruising speed as my other car, a EF XR6 Auto..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Skooter

ok thanks guys, so if I get an ea box or eb1 box and a 3.23 diff that will be a good combo?

And what model had the 3.23 diff in it?

Thanks
Old 31-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've got an EA box in my car, while my parents have an EBII wagon with factory T5 (so the later box). They don't seem all that different to me. Mine has the shorter first gear so that makes a bit of difference but the EA gearbox is great. The EA box doesn't have the reverse synchro while EBII onwards did, but it's still not too hard to get reverse.

As for the tailshaft, I doubt it would need changing. You don't need to change the tailshaft on sedans, so I don't see why you'd need to on wagons.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Skooter

:

So What model did the 3.23 lsd come in?

My main goal is to have a fast 1/4 mile wagon witch is still good on fuel so does the higher ratio make it rev higher?

Who has a 3.23 LSD and what are your opinions on them?

Mike
Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
Skooter

: :