Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default what to get? WP Zetec or Barina SRi?

I'm looking for a newish small car
something that handles ok and has reasonable power
i'm after a 3 door 5sp 1.6 to 2.0l
so far i'm keen on the fiesta or barina
i would like to use it for track days just for fun but mainly driving in city traffic 400km a week
i like the ford looks better but the holden has more power
anyone got any good reasons to get one or the other? and don't say get the ford not the holden

BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
fiestars

If u like me and like going thru roundabouts fast your best bet is the fiesta mine is lowered tho, i have driven the new barina dont knw what the engine capacity is but it ddnt feel faster than my fiesta
fiestars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
jorgo86

Mate, get an XR4!

You will not regret it!

To highlight how good they are, someone on the Ford XR4 forum who originally drove an XR4 wants to sell their new Mazda 3 MPS for another XR4, after only owning it for a couple of months!

They are FANTASTIC cars!
jorgo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

out of my price range but yes i'd love one of those
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think you'll find too many who will recommend the SRi over the Fiesta Zetec here! My first car was a Fiesta WP Zetec, and it was the best first car I could have got. Reliable, efficient, great to drive (better than the WS Fiesta Zetec) and a little rorty engine that loves to be revved. Go get a Fiesta, you will not regret it. Chuck on the body kit, some bigger wheels, add a stereo and it's the ultimate little pimp car!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

How old are you looking at and what price range?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
jorgo86

You can pick up a good example for about 17k now if you look around.

Surely you will struggle to find a 2009 Zetec for less than 14-15k?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
jorgo86

Ah sorry mate I miss read your original post - thought you said WS, not WP. Sorry!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
MotherNature
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have not long ago got my WQ Fiesta. Love her to bits as my daily

Has the get up & go when needed, handles like a go kart (especially now I have new tyres on her), is super fuel efficient and is still a head turner up here around Dubbo......

Would thoroughly recommend one of these to anyone !!!
MotherNature is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You want this car for "track days" ?? ... and you're looking at a 74kw WP Fiesta?

Out of your two listed options, the Barina SRi with it's 92kw engine would be your best bet by a long way .. (for the intended purpose that is).

As Jorgo said, if you can stretch your budget, the XR4 would be perfect.

Iv'e owned a WQ Zetec and a WQ XR4 and they are just two completely different animals.

When I owned the Zetec it always felt like it needed more power, I found it quite a frustrating car to be honest, it just had no "get up and go", you would plant the accelerator in traffic perhaps looking to make a lane change up ahead or something similar .. and nothing would happen! .. you always had to look way ahead and pre-judge your intended moves all the time .... the XR4 on the other hand has plenty of zip for a car of this size and as a result is a lot easier to drive and a lot safer too imo.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Look at an 05-06 Peugeot 206 GTi 180. 124kw, 1050kg, excellent handling, lots of niceties inside, great looks all for 15-17k.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would go for the Fiesta. The Barina SRI has the 1.8L engine, which means timing belt every 60K. which at 400km's a week wont take long to get there, plus high stress track days...

the fiesta is awesome, i have also got it as a first car, and love it to bits. handling is awesome, power is not too bad if you work it, and fuel economy is fantastic. also its comfortable, reliable, well built, and if you really want more power, im sure you could get some sort of tune to sort that out.

that would be my pick... infact we looked at the barina SRI also, but fiesta came out on top.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
fiestars

i must admit the barina looks good, the fiesta aint slow for city driving those that are finding it slow probably dont knw how to work the gears keep it past 3500 rpm n u ll be good
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
shevek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I don't think you'll find too many who will recommend the SRi over the Fiesta Zetec here! My first car was a Fiesta WP Zetec, and it was the best first car I could have got. Reliable, efficient, great to drive (better than the WS Fiesta Zetec) and a little rorty engine that loves to be revved. Go get a Fiesta, you will not regret it. Chuck on the body kit, some bigger wheels, add a stereo and it's the ultimate little pimp car!
WP a better drive because the steering has more feel? Better vision? A bit smaller, so more nimble? Fair points ...
shevek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevek
WP a better drive because the steering has more feel? Better vision? A bit smaller, so more nimble? Fair points...
The steering of the WP/WQ is phenomenal. Absolutely amazing, it's like having claws on the ground giving you very little bit of feedback from the road, there is no question where the wheels are, if they're spinning or if you're pushing the car too hard. The WS still handles sensationally, but at low speed the electric steering feel is a little numb, and very light. Once you get used to the electric feel you actually quite like it, but IMHO the WP/WQ handles better. I have no doubt the WS is a better car, hence why I'm very happy with mine, but for raw driver appeal (not talking power) the WP/WQ is king!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
shroomies49

you can steer the WS with ur bloody pinky!! lol

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zetec came out in 04 SRi earlier, you will find a lower km newer Zetec at around the same price as an SRi which might be older. Seems to be that way from what I can see. I think you will be happy with either! They will both have their pros and cons, it depends on what you want!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Look at an 05-06 Peugeot 206 GTi 180. 124kw, 1050kg, excellent handling, lots of niceties inside, great looks all for 15-17k.
A friend had one of these... They are a great little zippy car! Extra 40-50% more power than the fez at around the same weight...

Only thing he didnt like was some of the servicing costs were expensive..
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestars
i must admit the barina looks good, the fiesta aint slow for city driving those that are finding it slow probably dont knw how to work the gears keep it past 3500 rpm n u ll be good
Presumably this comment was aimed at me?

For the record, I have been driving for over 30 years, have owned and driven many cars during that time, small and large, sedate slow ones to extremely fast ones!

Perhaps with these years of driving experience I can look at each car on it's own merits and don't automatically think a small 74kw car is anything resembling a race car.

Perhaps if you're a young first time driver, just got your P Plates venturing out onto the road for the first time, you may think in your own mind that the Fiesta is a real road weapon! .. clearly some of the comments around this forum from certain owners over the years and with what I personally witness out on the road itself would certainly attest to this, unfortunately I hate to break the bad news to you guys .. It Isn't!

I think the Fiesta is a fantastic, well built, good quality honest product, the WP/WQ models look absolutely fantastic and I think Ford designers really threw away the moulds after that model and it all went downhill from there.

I don't particularly like the WS model, quite possibly never will, time will tell, but then it's been out a while now and it's still not doing anything for me .... I have never made any effort to fake my views on the WS Fiesta or any other car for that matter around this or any other forum.

If you guys who own WS Fiesta's like the design of them and are happy with the car itself.. great, because at the end of the day ... that's what it's all about, it would be a very boring world it we all liked exactly the same things wouldn't it.

The OP gave us two vehicle options with the intention of using the vehicle for "track days" ... given that criteria there is only one possible and reasonable choice out of the two .. 92kw performance oriented vehicle vs 74kw everyday use, allrounder vehicle? ..

Had he not mentioned "track days" and "reasonable power" in his original post .. I would have without any doubt whatsoever recommended the WP Fiesta over the Siesta built Barina.

And Yes, by the way .. I think by now I would have worked out how "to work the gears" and "keep it past 3500 rpm" .. it's hardly rocket science is it but thanks anyhow for the driving tip.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow those comments about the WS came from no where? I didn't realise the car was in question.

Neither the Fiesta or the Barina is particularly fast, doesn't take a genius to work that out. I suggested the Fiesta based on nothing more than my experience with both a WP and WS Zetec, but matey, best bet would be to drive both. That way you can experience both the pros and cons of each, and evaluate them for yourself. But my recommendation stands for the Fiesta :-)
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

power isnt everything... how the car feels and the all round pleasure of it (for want of a better word) is how you should base the your choice, especially for track day use.

i can recommend the fiesta as i know for a fact it is overall a great car to drive, whether its in the city or having a go up some mountain roads.

i cant say anything about the barina as i have never driven one let alone been in one. so as danny said, drive both see what you like more.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #22
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

Thinks the peugeot 206 would be a better bet or a older Golf GTI
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
A friend had one of these... They are a great little zippy car! Extra 40-50% more power than the fez at around the same weight...

Only thing he didnt like was some of the servicing costs were expensive..
Servicing isn't bad. Set price too so you always know what your up for. Only every 20k too.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #24
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Wow those comments about the WS came from no where? I didn't realise the car was in question.
Then why did "YOU" mention the WS in the first place? .. just 4 posts prior!

"The WS still handles sensationally, but at low speed the electric steering feel is a little numb, and very light."

And this little pearler ..

"I have no doubt the WS is a better car" ..

Mate .. stop it, you're killing me!

You are still very young and as such, have very limited driving experience ... if you and "fiestaz" keep coming up with comments like these ..

"having a go up some mountain roads."

and

"Chuck on the body kit, some bigger wheels, add a stereo and it's the ultimate little pimp car!"

I might hang around a little longer, this is getting hilarious!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
jorgo86

Lol I musta missed that post about it being "the ultimate little pimp car".

I guess we're all got different tastes

Anyway, I fear this might turn into a massive flaming contest.

So back to the OP's requirements. If he posts his price range and priorities (i.e. track vs everyday driving etc) then we can probably give him more constructive feedback.

Until that maybe everyone should chill lol
Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
fiestars

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Presumably this comment was aimed at me?

For the record, I have been driving for over 30 years, have owned and driven many cars during that time, small and large, sedate slow ones to extremely fast ones!

Perhaps with these years of driving experience I can look at each car on it's own merits and don't automatically think a small 74kw car is anything resembling a race car.

Perhaps if you're a young first time driver, just got your P Plates venturing out onto the road for the first time, you may think in your own mind that the Fiesta is a real road weapon! .. clearly some of the comments around this forum from certain owners over the years and with what I personally witness out on the road itself would certainly attest to this, unfortunately I hate to break the bad news to you guys .. It Isn't!

I think the Fiesta is a fantastic, well built, good quality honest product, the WP/WQ models look absolutely fantastic and I think Ford designers really threw away the moulds after that model and it all went downhill from there.

I don't particularly like the WS model, quite possibly never will, time will tell, but then it's been out a while now and it's still not doing anything for me .... I have never made any effort to fake my views on the WS Fiesta or any other car for that matter around this or any other forum.

If you guys who own WS Fiesta's like the design of them and are happy with the car itself.. great, because at the end of the day ... that's what it's all about, it would be a very boring world it we all liked exactly the same things wouldn't it.

The OP gave us two vehicle options with the intention of using the vehicle for "track days" ... given that criteria there is only one possible and reasonable choice out of the two .. 92kw performance oriented vehicle vs 74kw everyday use, allrounder vehicle? ..

Had he not mentioned "track days" and "reasonable power" in his original post .. I would have without any doubt whatsoever recommended the WP Fiesta over the Siesta built Barina.

And Yes, by the way .. I think by now I would have worked out how "to work the gears" and "keep it past 3500 rpm" .. it's hardly rocket science is it but thanks anyhow for the driving tip.
i ddnt mention any names and just because you been driving for 30 years doesnt make you a better, well informed driver ;)

Last edited by fiestars; 03-09-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #27
bingoTE50
Steve

early reanault clio sport.Early ones are in your price range.132 kw 2.0 and out handle the others and with recaro seats.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Then why did "YOU" mention the WS in the first place? .. just 4 posts prior! Mate .. stop it, you're killing me! You are still very young and as such, have very limited driving experience ... if you and "fiestaz" keep coming up with comments like these I might hang around a little longer, this is getting hilarious!
If you actually read my post, all I said was I didn’t realise the WS Fiesta was in question. My original comments were to two other members who mentioned the WS Fiesta handling (after I made mention it was not as good as the WP Fiesta, which I was recommending). I merely responded to these and I never mentioned anything about the styling and certainly didn’t start ranting on about the looks of the car. As the thread was asking for advice, and there was no restricted age on this advice as far as I'm aware, I suggested the WP Fiesta would be a great bet, having had both a WP and WS they are fantastic cars. Even though I'm only young, I don't believe this to be a reason why I can't offer some advice.

If it makes you feel better by bringing other people down then so be it, being older you should know better than to attack other people for their opinions. i never once suggested you opinions were wrong.

Have a great day
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
jorgo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
early reanault clio sport.Early ones are in your price range.132 kw 2.0 and out handle the others and with recaro seats.
How old are we talking about?

TBH I don't know much about the hot hatch Renault's. From the little bit I've heard they're awesome cars - I just wish the current batch were a bit cheaper!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the comments. i am looking at a base model 04 fiesta this weekend and a 2001 SRi similar price but i'm leaning towards the ford
as per my track day comment at the moment i use my almost stock 99 AU XR8 auto which i'll end up selling and would like use the new car for this (not competition just fun)
i'm not into secondhand french cars..sorry and my budget is under $10k
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar