Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 17-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
baz

Default Brake pedal travel

Can someone tell me how far there brake pedal travels in a 2001 cougar before they start to work,Mine seems to be about 50mm and they feel spungy but i've bled two wheels with no air in system.
Baz

baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz
Can someone tell me how far there brake pedal travels in a 2001 cougar before they start to work,Mine seems to be about 50mm and they feel spungy but i've bled two wheels with no air in system.
Baz
I just want to have less brake travel
Old 26-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
fordmondeoman

many factors will change your pedal travel, first off though if you have air in the system this will make it very spungy only way to get all air out is bleed all 4 brakes, and it can be possible to get air in the abs pump/valves and some times only way to get that out is to actuate the pump/valves which requires a scan/diagnostic tool. Other reasons would be leaking master cyl. does the pedal get hard if you pump it up and does it stay hard and not drop to floor? do this with engine off.
Old 26-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

From what i remember, the Cougar did have a bit of brake travel. You will need to press them a bit for them to grab. Remember, they aren't performance brakes. They're the same brakes that are on the same year mondeo. If you're going flat to the floor, then you have a problem.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmondeoman
many factors will change your pedal travel, first off though if you have air in the system this will make it very spungy only way to get all air out is bleed all 4 brakes, and it can be possible to get air in the abs pump/valves and some times only way to get that out is to actuate the pump/valves which requires a scan/diagnostic tool. Other reasons would be leaking master cyl. does the pedal get hard if you pump it up and does it stay hard and not drop to floor? do this with engine off.
When I pump them up they stay hard, My Mechanic said they are OK, I just don't like the amount of travel. I thought there might be a way of adjusting the pushrod to shorten travel.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
scout

Just a thought, how much play do you have in the wheel bearings. As you may realise the pads are pushed away from the discs by the travel in the wheel bearing, therefore, the greater the movement the further the pads are pushed from the discs and the greater the travel of the pedal to push back to contact the disc.
Trev
scout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
Just a thought, how much play do you have in the wheel bearings. As you may realise the pads are pushed away from the discs by the travel in the wheel bearing, therefore, the greater the movement the further the pads are pushed from the discs and the greater the travel of the pedal to push back to contact the disc.
Trev
Thanks for the reply, Do you adjust the bearings the same way as other fords on these cougars, Everthing looks different.
Barry
Old 20-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
baz

I just had the brake fluid changed, made a big differance, i'm happy now.