Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
lamaface
Starter Motor

Question KE GL Hatchback, what goes here?

My little hatchback has been left for many months now in the garage. Problem now is that it's hard to start (not flat battery!). When it manages to crank over, it stalls quickly say 4secs. It also runs pretty rough also.
Thing is, if I block this tube at the intake manifold, it will keep running if only rough. What the heck is supposed to go here? There's nothing in my Gregory's manual on it.
It looks clean while around it there is oil everywhere from the cam cover gasket. Now replaced BTW.
:

Anyone have an idea? :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSL20932-sm.jpg (137.8 KB, 52 views)
lamaface is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

@lamaface: It looks as though there should be a hose on that nipple and even though I don't know the model that you are talking about it is probably a vacuum hose considering where it is. It is a bit difficult to see it with any detail in the photo that you have provided, but that would be my guess. Have a good look around that area and you will probably find a rubber hose hanging spare that would be very happy to be plugged back on there.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 05-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
lamaface
Starter Motor

Thanks Wesso,

To be more exact, the model is Laser KE GL 1990 manual with 1.6Lt model 'B' engine.
We have looked over and over for a missing hose but nothing! :
Sorry about the pic BTW. To orientate yourself, it's on the RHS looking into the engine under the accelerator cable assembly.

Anyway, I appreciate your help Wesso.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that hose that's at the left of the pic, right in front of the camera, did you pull that off somewhere else to take the photo? if not, does it reach to that fitting that you took the pic of?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
lamaface
Starter Motor

Bodes-sh,

Yeah that hose you are referring to attaches to the air filter intake amongst a few others. Took it all off to look down the carby. It is a mess of cables and hoses around there but they are all accounted for. Besides, all are the wrong size for that nipple.

Thanks for a try.
I really don't wanna spend $115 on a workshop manual and hope it helps.

I'm beginning to think it must be blocked and somehow whatever was there fell off.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Keep checking back regularly buddy... I'm searching all the places that I know to see if I can come up with anything to help you.
I am hoping to find an online manual in PDF format if possible and if I do I will let you know here...

Cheers

Wayne
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it really looks like something to do with the pvc system. is the hose from the pvc valve connected to the inlet manifold? the pvc hose should go into the inlet manifold under the carby / throttle body (ie engine side) but i'm not sure what side of the motor it should be connected to on these things.

there should also be a breather for the pvc valve, usually at the opposite end of the rocker cover, which should be connected into the intake piping somewhere between the air filter and the carby. it will probably be on the underside of the air cleaner housing.

it is very weird, because it obviously has to have something connected to it. is the purge side of the carbon canister connected to the inlet manifold? that may also be somewhere around there. there should be 3 connections on the carbon canister. one will be from the fuel tank, one is the purge line to the manifold and the other is a fresh air inlet.

hope you get it sorted
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

@bodes-sh: I was thinking along the same lines actually... It certainly looks to be the right size for that hose. My experience is only with an older model and that hose used to come off by itself sometimes and if it didn't have a hose clamp on the other end then the weight of it would be enough to make it fall off onto the ground or the splash guard if it was fitted. The hose that I had on mine was only about six inches long and had a tendency to go hard from the engine bay heat which in turn caused it to become loose.
This one has me puzzled, so I am going to keep on looking for an answer to this one.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
lamaface
Starter Motor

Bodes-sh,

I took some more pics even though they are not great due to size limitations for posts.
Here is the overall engine bay and I managed to put a basic text pointing out the lines you talk about.
PVC goes in the LHS of carby.

Thank you for your responses guys. Perhaps the thing has fallen beyond site under the splash guard as you say Wesso? I will try to look under there just in case.
This is really embarrassing!
:hihi:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSL20972-sm-Text.JPG (111.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Hey man... Don't be embarrassed
As they say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I am pretty sure the rest of the folk in here are with me when I say that we are here to try to help you solve your problems and to also help you save a few bucks in the process.
I haven't been able to track down a manual yet, but I will have a look for the one that I have tomorrow when I have a bit more time available.
My current 323/KB has EFI and Turbo so I can't just go and have a look at the car.
Anyway I'll try to get back to you in here tomorrow at some stage.

Cheers

Wayne