Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 27-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Default The Fez stalled?!

Hi guys,

Not happy!!

My fez stalled after I turned it over this morning. In the past when I have started it first thing in the morning, (cold in Melbourne at the moment), the revs have fluctuated but it has never stalled?!!

Any one else had this happen to them?

The car has done 1000km's now

Cheers

Old 27-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Nope, never happend on ours although we do have the manual and we did change the oil very early on.

Get the dealer to check it out. Doubt it is anything major.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
doctamick

Mine has never stalled. However, a few times I have noticed that, when taking off immediately after a very cold start (i.e. when the outside temp is about 5 degrees) and the engine is dead cold, there is rough/flat spot just off idle. It only happens for a split second in first gear and has only happened a handful of times. I am not sure if this is related to your stalling problem.

My car has now done over 7000kms. If it happens closer to the 15k service, I will definitely get the dealer to check it out.
doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Fled74
The Thread Killa

It's happened maybe 4-5 times to my WP Fez in the 4 years I've owned it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know exactly what you mean, and I think a few other members will be able to relate to this as well. Mine did it twice, both times the car had under 500km on it. Mine has 1500km on it now and havn't seen it again (even with freezing Toowoomba weather). I'll mention the issue to the dealer on the 3000km inspection, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing major. Mine is still working lol!
Old 28-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ours did the same thing. Sent it back only after 2 weeks they reprogrammed the ECU with new software. It seems to have done the job.

Get them to remap your ECU.
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I noticed a rough start up when cold but after 2-3 seconds settles. Mind you Canberra has seen many sub 0 temp nights lately.
Old 29-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Zetec Dave

Hmm haven't had that problem yet.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
doctamick

Fled74, RapidTyphoon, Black Betty... which problem are you guys referring to? Stalling or rough/flat spot just off idle when cold?
Old 29-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctamick
Fled74, RapidTyphoon, Black Betty... which problem are you guys referring to? Stalling or rough/flat spot just off idle when cold?
Mine cranked when I turned the key but stalled and died. It then started immediately when I tried a second time.
I always keep my foot on the clutch while starting up, and don't touch the accelerator (according to the user manual).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Doctamick car was rough on start up. It spit and splatter for approx 3-4sec.

Had it reprogrammed and hasn't missed a beat.
Old 29-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My issue was a little from column A a little from column B.

First time, my car had about 150km on it. I started it and the revs went up and down for about five seconds then the engine just stalled. Second time it had issues starting all together, this was at about 350km. When it did finally turn over the revs again went up and down, but it didn't stall. The car felt rough so I turned it off, started perfectly and havn't had these issues since. Though I had a few times where it wouldn't turn over, but after 500km that's gone too.

I live in Toowoomba and it's pretty chilly here now. When I start-up in the morning, I have noticed there is a 'soft spot' at about 2000RPM where the engine doesn't rev higher for about two seconds, then it jerks away. It'll do this once or twice in a cold start.

By no means am I concerned. My car only has 1500km on it, so it's still new. It hasn't stalled since the first time, except when it's my fault I thought the Fiesta had an Anti-Stall function, my poor driving skills must overide this system!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
doctamick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
I thought the Fiesta had an Anti-Stall function, my poor driving skills must overide this system!!!
haha. I think the only anti-stall function is the precision of the driver's left foot. I think it's actually quite easy to stall the bloody thing... very embarrassing e I have driven many small manual cars and don't think I have stalled since I was on the L-plates. So it's got to be the Fiesta .... or maybe I'm just losing coordination as I get older!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Fi.ES.TA

i also have stalled mine at the lights i hate 1st gear on mine theres a very fine biteing point on the clutch.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And here I was thinking I'm a useless driver, when really we're all useless! LOL! I looked in the brochure and over the net and the Fez is supposed to have an Anti-Stall function. But I've stalled it at least five times. I agree though, it's quite easy to do if your not watching the revvs. Meh, at least I'm not the only one, I was going mad.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #16
Zetec Dave

Hmm I find our manual WS quite easy to drive even for beginners learning manual like my wife and she's picked it up very quickly. I also personally found it hard to stall and a forgiving car compared to other manual cars I've driven.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #17
BruceT

I've stalled my WS Zetec several times, the first was immediately after pick up from the dealer during a hill start at traffic lights in peak hour - how stressful!!!

It's a long time since I've driven manuals, but this one does seem a little tricky to get moving smoothly, and I find the change from 1st to 2nd a little hard to do smoothly.

Oh well, nothings perfect.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #18
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've also have stalled my wife’s fiesta a few times but I have not once stalled the GT. Go figure. Takes a little to get used to at first it's easily done in the new Fiesta.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #19
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I don't get how you guys are stalling the Fiesta ?

Also not finding the shift from 1 to 2 at all difficult.

Our 18 yr old daughter has driven the Fiesta a few times now as well and hasn't had any problems in either regard ???

As I mentioned, we did change the engine and gearbox oil very early on.

Maybe it is an ECU/fuel map thing and we just happened to get a good one or maybe the way we drove it from the start ?

Might go try another demo and see if it happens but with all the ones we tested when we were buying we never noticed this as an issue.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Fi.ES.TA

yeah 1st to 2nd can be a touch jumpy if you dont have the rite revs.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the first manual car my wifes ever driven and she took a while to get the hang of it, including getting stuck and stressed on hills in traffic a few times but she's at one with it now. She had to because living in a country an small auto car is not really an option
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
I don't get how you guys are stalling the Fiesta ?
Our 18 yr old daughter has driven the Fiesta a few times now as well and hasn't had any problems in either regard ???
You must have a different clutch, perhaps from a Ferrari, to go with the 'auto-locking fuel cap' and Rear Interior lighting...

Quote:
IAs I mentioned, we did change the engine and gearbox oil very early on.
It's the clutch. Not the transmission. It's has a good feel and level of travel, but it's quite sharp to release. Combine that with the a slight delay with the accelorator, and presto. Our boring, standard spec Fiestas must just be flawed.

Meh.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #23
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
You must have a different clutch, perhaps from a Ferrari, to go with the 'auto-locking fuel cap' and Rear Interior lighting...
Funny.

As I said, neither wifey nor I saw any such issue in the demos we drove when buying - they were all first shipment models.

I wouldn't want a Ferrari shift but thanks for the sarcasm :

Quote:
It's the clutch. Not the transmission. It's has a good feel and level of travel, but it's quite sharp to release. Combine that with the a slight delay with the accelorator, and presto. Our boring, standard spec Fiestas must just be flawed.

Meh.
Was in reference to the shifting comment which is very much to do with it.

Accelerator delay ??? wtf.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny. I wouldn't want a Ferrari shift but thanks for the sarcasm
Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer. Having spoken to an engineer on the MA Mondeo (where Easy-Fuel was developed) and seen various early model Zetecs, none seem to have the additional features you mention. Then again Fords promo pictures of the LX had a projector and normal headlight.

Quote:
Accelerator delay ??? wtf.
The accelerator peddal seems to have a delay from when you depress it to when a reaction occurs, makes the car rev more. Not uncommen at all, but combine this with the touchy clutch and stalling happens even for the most experienced of drivers. Most here seem to agree. A GT driver among others.

I too experience issues with second gear, but my WP has issues there just because first is geared so low it makes getting a smooth shift dificult for the first week. All good now. I will however change the gearbox oil too, as others have claimed a difference.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #25
oldsoftboss

Quote:
The accelerator pedal seems to have a delay from when you depress it to when a reaction occurs, makes the car rev more.
Drive by wire I suspect.

In my FG I can have the thing idling, and quickly press the pedal to the floor and then release and the revs hardly change. Then the revs take time to die. Definitely different to the old cable accelerators. I definitely notice the delay, but as this is an auto and a 6, doesn't really effect anything. Maybe different in a little manual car.
oldsoftboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #26
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's it. I couldn't think of the name of it. Thanks for that mate was doing my head in! In a manual car with the touchy clutch it definitly can make you misjudge. Meh, I just make it a habbit of looking at the revvs, a small niggle in a fantastic car.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #27
Fi.ES.TA

thats exactly what im doing now changing gear with the rev counter
will be better when i get the exhaust so i can actually ear the engine better.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #28
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THANK YOU FI.E.STA. I too can't hear the engine like the old Fiesta, so your revving to three grand and can hardly hear it! Small cars have come a long way.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's my vote for funniest post ever :p, but you forgot the magic anti chip paint
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #30
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
That's my vote for funniest post ever :p, but you forgot the magic anti chip paint
Not much magic about it but must suck for all you owners that have got chips on that area.

I'll stick with out "magic paint" and the absence of paint chips.

However, just in case, it now has film guard on the areas of concern.

Pity I didn't get it on the front before it collected a few chips.

As for the rear interior lighting and the glove box light, glad we didn't end up with a pov pack :