Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Sioso
irregular member

Default 8yr old drag racer dies at Perth Motorplex

I imagine this will have ramifications:

http://www.news.com.au/national/west...140696d77d86da

AN eight-year-old drag racer has died after she lost control of her vehicle during a test run and hit a cement barrier at a track in Perth’s south.

Anita Board suffered life threatening injuries in the crash at Perth Motorplex in Kwinana on Saturday afternoon and was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

WA Police this afternoon confirmed she had died, and officers will now prepare a report for the coroner.

It is understood she was attempting a solo drive, which young drag racers must do to be licensed and compete in events.
An ambulance arrives at the emergency department at Princess Margaret Hospital.

Perth Motorplex temporarily suspended racing after the crash while police investigated.

The venue and Australian National Drag Racing Association posted to social media: “Our thoughts are with the driver and their family.”

Police say they would like to speak with anyone who saw or took video of the crash, which happened at the end of Anita’s run.

Anita’s father Ian earlier said the family was thankful for the “love and support” of friends, family and the motorsport community, Perth Now reported.

“Our baby girl is getting the best of care,” he said. “We are all hurting at this time.”

Pictures of Anita on family members’ social media profiles show the young motorsport enthusiast with her purple dragster emblazoned with the words “Pony Power”.

The dragster she was driving was powered by a 210cc engine.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 8yr old drag racer dies at Perth Motorplex

Out of respect for young Anita, and her family, I really hope the media don't turn this into an anti-motorsport sensationalist story.

From what I saw on the news, her parents were quite invested in giving her the chance to enjoy her passion - which I commend them for. Last thing they need now is the media running off the hook.

Accidents happen, and I hope that only good can come from this, so she can be remembered for her positive contribution to the sport.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

My condolences to the family, a heart breaking incident.

Agreed with commodorenutt, the media can be insensitive life sucking parasites willing to use such an incident to stir up controversy just to sell a few more papers or get a few more viewers.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Condolences.

Rest In Peace Anita.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In todays age of wireless everything maybe they can rig a safety device, a panic button to cut power and slam on the brakes. Even a basic collision avoidance system like in any modern road going vehicle.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

From what was in the West Australian today it sounds like she may have missed, or took the wrong, exit at the end of the strip. Very sad and a very rare accident for this sort of event. Usually safer in the dragster than running around the neighbourhood unsupervised on a dirt bike or quad bike without a helmet as you so often see.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

First off, my condolences to Anita's family: it is always difficult to hear of the passing of such a young person, especially in circumstances like this one, ie an accident.

Without being insensitive, and I ask this question because it is not something I am familiar with, but just reading the article it appears a little odd to me to allow an 8-year old to be solely at the control of a dragster. Is this something that happens often at these types of events?

I assume that there is a process that leads up to someone so young being 'endorsed'to be able to operate solo? And I would also assume that the assessment would be competency based, so how does one prove competency in such a vehicle (irrespective of age)?

I ask these questions because, as a recreational pilot, I know that the minimum age for a pilot is 16 years, but the assessment is competency based, and you would generally have a two-seat aircraft which would allow for an instructor to be with the student through to the point where competency was proven. I'd imagine a similar system would be difficult in a dragster?

I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just ask some genuine questions to allow enlightenment.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

My sincere condolences to Anita's family, as a father of a young, very very much loved daughter, i can only imagine how Anita's parents are feeling right now.

RIP Anita, hoping Stan Sainty builds you up a grunter in heaven & you win plenty gold christmas tree's there one day very soon!!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
First off, my condolences to Anita's family: it is always difficult to hear of the passing of such a young person, especially in circumstances like this one, ie an accident.

Without being insensitive, and I ask this question because it is not something I am familiar with, but just reading the article it appears a little odd to me to allow an 8-year old to be solely at the control of a dragster. Is this something that happens often at these types of events?
I assume that there is a process that leads up to someone so young being 'endorsed'to be able to operate solo? And I would also assume that the assessment would be competency based, so how does one prove competency in such a vehicle (irrespective of age)?

I ask these questions because, as a recreational pilot, I know that the minimum age for a pilot is 16 years, but the assessment is competency based, and you would generally have a two-seat aircraft which would allow for an instructor to be with the student through to the point where competency was proven. I'd imagine a similar system would be difficult in a dragster?

I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just ask some genuine questions to allow enlightenment.
^^^ This. 8 YOs can't drive a car on the road (for good reason) but they can legally be in control of a dragster on a track? Seems wrong to me.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Without being insensitive, and I ask this question because it is not something I am familiar with, but just reading the article....
I like how you put that, and I was also thinking along similar lines with my last comment about something good coming from this, but didn't quite know how to say it.

Perhaps as a result of this, maybe there will be development of a relatively inexpensive backup safety system - even something like BPXR6T describes above - a fail-safe of sorts that a safety official could press if required, to wirelessly kill the engine & apply the brakes or something. It may not be able to prevent what happened here, but it could prevent further injuries or fatalities.

Even if it ended up being called the "Anita switch" in memory of her.

Agreed that it's far safer to be driving this, than riding around on the streets - even riding a BMX around is more dangerous than safety conscious motorsport events.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:

Question is understood.

Parent or guardian consent is needed, then a medical, log book on the vehicle (logging technical compliance) and observed performance testing.

Kill switches have existed for a while now. I don't know if this would have helped here based on the earlier report.
Old 13-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
^^^ This. 8 YOs can't drive a car on the road (for good reason) but they can legally be in control of a dragster on a track? Seems wrong to me.
Go Karting can commence at 6, albeit only practice not racing (until 8).
http://www.karting.net.au/how-to-get-started-in-karting.

I am on the fence about this whole thing of age, if she's qualified and obtained a license through the right channels and proven herself then why not?
But then it does beg the question around maturity around these machines and ultimately how young is too young? Still not sure if I would or would not let my daughters do the same at Anita's age.
Old 13-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
leesa

Quote:
My immediate thought was to agree with you but then I realised that in the horse world, kids just as young as Anita (even younger) are put on the backs of horses and sent out to compete, and that has the possibility of going very wrong also.

Another article that I just read said that these kids' drag cars can still reach near 100km/hr. I'm guessing that drag cars don't have airbags and things like regular car drivers have to protect the driver in car accidents?
Part of me wonders why 8 year old kids have the ability to drive 100km/hr and the other part of me thinks that removing the ability is resulting in cotton-wool kids who aren't allowed to do anything at all.

It's a hard scenario all 'round. Rest in peace, Anita.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dragsters are obviously speed restricted to about 115kmh and smaller than the real thing.....that said am on the fence about it.

Condolences to the family
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #15
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

This just about tore my heart out when I found out,my thoughts go out to the family,i cant even imagine what they are going through right now.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:

From what I understand 8 is the minimum age to become certified in these. She was undergoing assessment to become certified at the time of the accident. No way her parents would have let her do it without some previous experience and training.

Though I agree 8 is way too young to be playing with something capable of 100kph
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
The dragsters are obviously speed restricted to about 115kmh and smaller than the real thing.....that said am on the fence about it.

Condolences to the family on the loss of Anita.

The cars speed are limited based on age. The one driven by Anita is powered by a lawn mower engine and less powerful and heavier than most go karts used at the same age. She would not of been doing 115Km/h at any point.

There is actually more to qualifying in junior dragster than in go karts for the same age, more in depth pre race inspections, medicals etc.

The sport has been going for over 20 years without any deaths or major injuries until now.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very sad. Condolences to the family.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves guys.

Junior dragsters can start at age of 5 and there are numerous age classes with various strict engine rules and they race over 1/8 mile with age groups that are also restricted on ET times.

The base starting engine is a 5Hp Briggs and Stratton also with a side valve to further reduce power up to restricted motor bike engines for older age groups.

From pics of her car it seems she had a Briggs as she was a newbie.

As leesa indicated a stroppy horse would be more dangerous.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont necessarily think age was a factor here. I have to wonder what is going to physically stop a crash with someone older ending in the same circumstances.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #20
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just going off the media reports did seem a bit OTT.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #21
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Just going off the media reports did seem a bit OTT.
I hate trusting media in situations like this. Hopefully an independent 3rd party will investigate the situation, while un-encumbered.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #22
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Out of respect for young Anita, and her family, I really hope the media don't turn this into an anti-motorsport sensationalist story.

From what I saw on the news, her parents were quite invested in giving her the chance to enjoy her passion - which I commend them for. Last thing they need now is the media running off the hook.

Accidents happen, and I hope that only good can come from this, so she can be remembered for her positive contribution to the sport.
True, many kids around the country even younger than this poor girl participate in events such as motocross every weekend. Nothing is without risk but like you said I hope it doesn't get used to create bans or restrictions where kids wanting to enjoy a passion at an early age are affected, we already have too many kids indoors living on Netflix and Facebook.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
The sport has been going for over 20 years without any deaths or major injuries until now.
Well over 20 years I reckon, I remember watching them in the 90's.

Sad loss indeed.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Go Karting can commence at 6, albeit only practice not racing (until 8).
http://www.karting.net.au/how-to-get-started-in-karting.

I am on the fence about this whole thing of age, if she's qualified and obtained a license through the right channels and proven herself then why not?
But then it does beg the question around maturity around these machines and ultimately how young is too young? Still not sure if I would or would not let my daughters do the same at Anita's age.
I agree with this comment on maturity as I was very surprised at the age of the young child, I hope some improved safety comes out of this tragic event.

Condolences to the family of Anita
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let kids be kids. Growing up on a farm I was driving an fc Holden at that age sitting on 3 plow discs and fertilizer bags to see over the dash and so were all my mates. Same with motorbikes only thing we didn't have was a horse.

Most kids die on farms from drowning accidents, not driving/riding machinery.

We as a society have to understand an accident is exactly what it says - an accident.
Kids die climbing trees, its very sad when something does go wrong but we need to live life to the fullest, not die from heart attacks in front of an Xbox.

Would it be any better for the parents if the girl died at 18 with a license in her back pocket?

I bet this story wouldn't exist if she died falling off her treadley in the driveway at home - because car it's sensationalised.

Condolences to family.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

At the risk (yeah, yeah, I know ) of taking this thread off the focus that it should have: the tragic loss of a young child,

I'd like to point out that it seems as though some people are a little unsure of what risk means, and are perhaps confusing it with consequence. This is something I see in my workplace regularly, especially when risk assessments are being completed, ironically.

Risk is a function of two things: consequence and probability or likelihood. Consequence is the effect of something, or what will happen if..... Likelihood is a relative assessment of how likely it is that the consequence will occur. These two functions then produce an overall risk matrix, with a low consequence and low likelihood producing a low risk and a high consequence and high likelihood generating a high risk. Something like this for example:

In most cases, the highest risk of an activity is likely to not be the most severe consequence. Why? Because we generally put in place remedial actions to reduce the likelihood that a high consequence will eventuate.

So, to bring this back on topic, yes, I get that having children in dragsters has the potential for a high consequence outcome, so the governing body should have had in place a formal risk assessment process to manage the requirements that would eventually see a young person drive one of these dragsters alone. There must have been control measures put in place to reduced the likelihood of such a consequence occurring.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that any action be taken to stop such young people from driving these dragsters, as some may have thought, but I do wonder what control measures were in place to reduce the risk. Perhaps some of those control measures were not sufficient, in this particular case, to prevent the outcome. And perhaps nothing needs to change. Perhaps the events are so unlikely to occur again that further control measures aren't justified.

My point is that it would be interesting to see what the risk assessment considered to be the greatest risk to these young drivers, what control measures were put in place, and following a suitable investigation, whether further control measures are required.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 13-11-2017 at 02:42 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #27
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

96kmh I believe.

A terrible, terrible accident for all concerned.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #28
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
My point is that it would be interesting to see what the risk assessment considered to be the greatest risk to these young drivers, what control measures were put in place, and following a suitable investigation, whether further control measures are required.
What I have noticed, not just in motorsports, risk mitigation in general relies heavily on historical incident (issue) analysis and then secondarily on theoretical issue analysis.

Focusing back on motorsports, often a good way to understand the risks addressed by the sanctioning bodies is to look in 3 areas.

1. The rule book concerning the technical details of car construction, certifications, preparation and associated penalties for infractions. E.g. if, during scrutineering, there is evidence of a grinder having touched a weld anywhere on the chassis, my chassis will lose certification right there. Then I will be asked to remove my car from the track property and not return there or any other sanctioned track until my chassis is repaired. Chassis failure would be considered a high consequence failure, but not likely to happen with a valid certification tag affixed to it.

If there is a minor issue I can fix at the trailer and return for scrutineering if there is enough time.

2. Licensing requirements and procedures for the driver. First you need to pass your medical. If you fail that, you will be a spectator.

Observed performance testing. I don't know all the procedures for Jr Dragster, but I bet it is close to what is needed to compete in my car. The testing is fairly tedious. Everything from doing a technical walk around the car, putting on your fire suit, getting in the car (a set of cross bars at the door entry and the lateral supports of racing seat can make it tricky), buckling up, firing the engine. Then reverse the process blind folded.

Any failure is a failure.

Then you need to demonstrate control of the car. Technical walk around the car. Drive around the pits. Enter the staging lanes, following the track officials instructions, do a burnout, pre stage, again follow the officials instructions, stage when signaled, run a 60 ft. Then idle down the track. Cool the engine. Return to the staging lanes, repeat the process, this time run a 330 ft. Repeat the process again, run a 660 ft (1/8th mile). Repeat the process again again, run a 1/4 mile, pull the chute (not for Jr Dragster). After stopping, ball the chute up and throw it in the passenger window. Park at the trailer.

Any failure is a failure.

3. Track specific preparedness. The governing body will have standards which must be met. A physical inspection is the only way to determine compliance.

Those are most of the areas addressed. Then to conduct your own analysis of how the risks are rated you would need the sanctioning body documentation to include the penalties/repercussions for non-compliance.

In this case an independent, unbiased 3rd party investigation could be helpful. Naivety sometimes asks questions that could lead to improvements. Emphasis is on the word unbiased.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 13-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 13-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is from another forum:

quote:It was her first full pass down the strip. The track has a swing out section of the wall that the juniors use to exit the track. She has come down the track and tried to take the turn and contacted the end of the wall that's exposed when the gate is open. She has hit the end of the wall side on effectively, right on the cockpit. It happened at less than 30mph as she had only turned 8 on Thursday and was in the beginners class with speed restrictions. It's just an accident. Not the tracks fact, not the track staffs fault, not really the little girls fault either. Just one of those one in a million accidents that had the worst possible result. Godspeed little racer.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #30
sixman

Heartbreaking to read about. RIP.

Must be unbearably devastating for the parents/family. This is obviously a family that loved and invested time in their daughter to do the things she enjoyed. Too many parents these days shun their parental responsibilities in favour of a screen.
Condolences to the parents!
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: