Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Zigman

Default SYNC 3 and Mondeo MD - Software Versions

Picking up the new baby later this week, a Mondeo Titanium Hatch.

Just wondering what the current SatNav map version should be. Obviously the factory image would have been current at time of manufacture (October), but maybe there's been an update during it's long sea voyage from Spain.

Related to this is the SYNC 3 firmware itself. Currently at v2.0, but I read somewhere that v2.2 is in sight (?) - maybe requiring a hardware upgrade to support Apple CarPlay.
Zigman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: SYNC 3 and Mondeo MD - Software Versions

when you get the vehicle sign up to Ford Owner Dashboard and check for updates. Sync2 is up to 3.8 I see.
Old 27-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #3
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
when you get the vehicle sign up to Ford Owner Dashboard and check for updates. Sync2 is up to 3.8 I see.
SYNC2 is actually at 3.10, released a few weeks ago..but may not have made it to the owner dashboard yet?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Zigman

In preparation for the new arrival I set myself up on the Ford Owners Dashboard (I've known the vehicles VIN for a few months now). I see that the Mondy is coming with Sync III at v2.0 but will be keeping my eye out for any updates.

I'm a little concerned that with the v2.2 (?) release Apple CarPlay may cease to work pending a hardware upgrade of the USB hub due to the Apple authentication chip issue (more research required here).

I'm also curious to know what the current map version is on Sync III so that I can have the dealer upgrade if need be as part of the release.

Incidentally, for those who may not be aware, this site makes for interesting reading ... https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
Old 29-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
asteele-xr6

Hello Zigman,

I took delivery of my Mondeo Titanium in mid November, and it was of course running Sync3 - the software version is 2.0, and it supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with no problems at all.

My Australian map version number is ANZ 1 15

You'll have lots of fun learning the possible Sync3 voice commands, and how to make it all work.

I have had short play with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - and found for me that they were not useful, Sync3 does everything that I want really well without those two platforms being needed at all.

Here is my own list of voice commands - which I keep as a cheat-sheat in the door pocket as a memory jogger from time to time

“Destination Home” “Destination Favorites”
“Find nearest airport” “Find <Italian restaurant>”
“Find Intersection” “Find Point of Interest”
“Find a <POI category>” “Find Address”
“Where am I?” “Help”

"Route summary"

“Cancel Route” “Repeat Instruction”
“Show Destination” “Show Route”
“Detour” “Show Turn List”
“Cancel Next Waypoint” “Show Next Waypoint”

“Navigation volume <increase/decrease>"

"Audio <on/off>"
"<AM/FM> <station number>" "<DAB> <station number>"
"<USB>"

"Play <Track Name>" "Play <Artist Name>"
"Play <Genre Name>" "Play <Album Name>"
"Play <Playlist Name>"

"Browse all <category>"
"Shuffle" "Shuffle off"

"Call <name> <at home/at work/on cell/on other>"
“Dial" | pause | "<phone number>"
"Call voicemail"
"Do not disturb <on/off>"

“Reply to message” | pause | follow prompts

“Climate” | pause | “<Warmer/Cooler>”
“Climate 20” “Climate set temperature to 72 degrees”
“Climate automatic” “Climate <on/off>”

“Climate” | pause | “<Increase/Decrease> fan speed”
“Climate” | pause | “Min/Max fan”
“Climate” | pause | “AC <on/off>”
“Climate” | pause | “Max AC <on/off>”

Change voice interaction level "Interaction mode <novice/advanced>"
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Zigman

Hi asteele-xr6

I took delivery this week, so late December. The car is an early October build and was shipped with Sync III v2.0 build 16074 and maps version ANZ 1 15, same as your Mondeo. I did an online software update check using wifi from the car with no updates available.

I was looking forward to using Apple CarPlay but have also found Sync III does all I need, and CarPlay a little lacking. I'll probably play a little more with Apple CarPlay and then disable it.

Your cheat sheet of voice commands is excellent. I'm printing it out and disappearing to the carport shortly for some one-on-one time with the electronic lady in the Mondy.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
fredaroony
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post
Hello Zigman,

I took delivery of my Mondeo Titanium in mid November, and it was of course running Sync3 - the software version is 2.0, and it supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with no problems at all.

My Australian map version number is ANZ 1 15

You'll have lots of fun learning the possible Sync3 voice commands, and how to make it all work.

I have had short play with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - and found for me that they were not useful, Sync3 does everything that I want really well without those two platforms being needed at all.
Hey mate, do we get live traffic here in Australia for the navigation on the SYNC 3?
fredaroony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
asteele-xr6

I have only been driving it in Canberra so far, and haven't noticed that feature ever kicking in for me, so possibly not. Maybe Sydney or Melbourne radio stations support it though?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
fredaroony
Starter Motor

Quote:
I have only been driving it in Canberra so far, and haven't noticed that feature ever kicking in for me, so possibly not. Maybe Sydney or Melbourne radio stations support it though?
I couldnt get a straight answer out of the dealer.... I was hoping it got the data from the phone connection like the Mazda system does.

I see in the US it uses Sirius XM for traffic.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
asteele-xr6

ah, I see what you mean now. No, I don't think we have that.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
fredaroony
Starter Motor

Quote:
ah, I see what you mean now. No, I don't think we have that.
Bummer! Thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
DougalXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Hey mate, do we get live traffic here in Australia for the navigation on the SYNC 3?
The live traffic updates work on my MD Trend with SYNC 2 installed.

Living near Canberra I have only noticed traffic updates two or three times however, when I have driven around Sydney I have received many updates, often to the point of distraction.

One time I was driving around the Picton area the system advised me of a road closure due to heavy rain and then offered me an alternate route which I selected. Very useful.

As I do not have WiFi enabled through my mobile I asume the updates are received through the SatNav.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
fredaroony
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post
The live traffic updates work on my MD Trend with SYNC 2 installed.

Living near Canberra I have only noticed traffic updates two or three times however, when I have driven around Sydney I have received many updates, often to the point of distraction.

One time I was driving around the Picton area the system advised me of a road closure due to heavy rain and then offered me an alternate route which I selected. Very useful.

As I do not have WiFi enabled through my mobile I asume the updates are received through the SatNav.
Thanks for that! Do you find it accurate? The live traffic on my Tomtom is very accurate.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #14
Zigman

Regarding traffic updates, I found the following ...

From the Ford Mondeo brochure (July 2016) it says on page 38 in the fine print ... "Traffic Information is provided through an arrangement with Intelematics Australia Pty Ltd. Traffic Information is based on data provided with the permission of one or more third parties. Should Ford's arrangement with Intelematics Australia Pty Ltd cease for any reason, the ongoing provision of traffic information cannot be guaranteed."

Which lead me to the Intelematics Australia website "http://www.intelematics.com". On their website they talk about "SUNA Motoring Content" and in part it reads "Live traffic updates are communicated to the driver in a safe manner, integrated into portable and in-vehicle navigation systems broadcast over FM radio or internet connection.".

This lead me to a Wikipedia search for SUNA and TMC (Traffic Message Channel), where I found the following (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel) - "Intelematics Australia broadcasts a national encrypted RDS-TMC service focused initially on urban Australia under the brand 'SUNA Traffic Channel'. The service reaches around 85% of urban Australia, using commercial FM broadcasters in seven cities, as well as via XML for online and smartphone applications. The service is available on GPS navigation systems including Navman, Mio, Uniden, iPhone (Navigon & Sygic), Eclipse, Pioneer, Alpine and Clarion. SUNA Traffic Channel is also available in Ford, Holden, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mercedes Benz navigation systems. SUNA is currently the only source of comprehensive, metropolitan congestion monitoring content in Australia – proprietary technology interfaces to traffic light control systems. The SUNA broadcast service is fully compliant with both RDS and TMC. However, since the broadcast is encrypted it does not work on in-car GPS navigation systems that do not have a commercial arrangement with SUNA."

From my reading it's a little unclear if the TMC is only broadcast via FM radio stations or if it is also transmitted via DAB+ broadcasts. It is also unclear to me if SYNC II or III uses the data connection on your smartphone in place of a radio station signal if/when it doesn't receive it over the air.

More research required ...
Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
fredaroony
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigman View Post
Regarding traffic updates, I found the following ...

From the Ford Mondeo brochure (July 2016) it says on page 38 in the fine print ... "Traffic Information is provided through an arrangement with Intelematics Australia Pty Ltd. Traffic Information is based on data provided with the permission of one or more third parties. Should Ford's arrangement with Intelematics Australia Pty Ltd cease for any reason, the ongoing provision of traffic information cannot be guaranteed."

Which lead me to the Intelematics Australia website "http://www.intelematics.com". On their website they talk about "SUNA Motoring Content" and in part it reads "Live traffic updates are communicated to the driver in a safe manner, integrated into portable and in-vehicle navigation systems broadcast over FM radio or internet connection.".

This lead me to a Wikipedia search for SUNA and TMC (Traffic Message Channel), where I found the following (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel) - "Intelematics Australia broadcasts a national encrypted RDS-TMC service focused initially on urban Australia under the brand 'SUNA Traffic Channel'. The service reaches around 85% of urban Australia, using commercial FM broadcasters in seven cities, as well as via XML for online and smartphone applications. The service is available on GPS navigation systems including Navman, Mio, Uniden, iPhone (Navigon & Sygic), Eclipse, Pioneer, Alpine and Clarion. SUNA Traffic Channel is also available in Ford, Holden, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mercedes Benz navigation systems. SUNA is currently the only source of comprehensive, metropolitan congestion monitoring content in Australia – proprietary technology interfaces to traffic light control systems. The SUNA broadcast service is fully compliant with both RDS and TMC. However, since the broadcast is encrypted it does not work on in-car GPS navigation systems that do not have a commercial arrangement with SUNA."

From my reading it's a little unclear if the TMC is only broadcast via FM radio stations or if it is also transmitted via DAB+ broadcasts. It is also unclear to me if SYNC II or III uses the data connection on your smartphone in place of a radio station signal if/when it doesn't receive it over the air.

More research required ...
I've never heard good feedback about the Suna service.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
Zigman

That prompted me to look into TomTom's traffic updates and how they do it :-)

I found this comment on Lifehacker ... "TomTom's HD Traffic is a clear rival to the longer established SUNA service. SUNA can take advantage of direct connections into traffic lights and other measurement system, while TomTom can cover a wider area since it draws data from its base of users."

Being a new user to Ford SYNC III and Intelematics SUNA, it will be interesting to see how well it performs.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
DougalXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Thanks for that! Do you find it accurate? The live traffic on my Tomtom is very accurate.
It has warned of traffic delays in Sydney however I didn't notice any real difference in the traffic when I drove through. To me Sydney is always very congested!!

I have not used it enough in Sydney to make any judgment as to its accuracy.

When it has given warnings in Canberra it was about road works near the airport that I was already aware of.

My daughter has a SYNC 2 connected Focus which has occasionally given her traffic congestion warnings in Canberra.

As I usually listen to DAB radio or use my ipod I assumed the information was received through the SatNav signal, unless it is using the FM radio in the background.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
fredaroony
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post
It has warned of traffic delays in Sydney however I didn't notice any real difference in the traffic when I drove through. To me Sydney is always very congested!!

I have not used it enough in Sydney to make any judgment as to its accuracy.

When it has given warnings in Canberra it was about road works near the airport that I was already aware of.

My daughter has a SYNC 2 connected Focus which has occasionally given her traffic congestion warnings in Canberra.

As I usually listen to DAB radio or use my ipod I assumed the information was received through the SatNav signal, unless it is using the FM radio in the background.
Sounds about right from others feedback of the Suna system. The Tomtom service is very good and is usually spot on. It helped me avoid many accidents
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #19
Zigman

Browsing thru the available station list on the radio I note that some stations have "TP" next to their name. From what I understand, TP means the station carries Traffic Programs, which I take to mean the SUNA information.

I would assume from this that the NAV would only update with traffic conditions if the radio is switched on and tuned to one of these stations.

I could be wrong. What do others think/know?
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
DougalXR6

As I have definitley received SatNav traffic updates when I have been using my ipod it must receive the data another way. I don't listen to FM stations anymore now that I have DAB radio.

I also don't have the car connected to WiFi through my mobile.

It will be interesting to know how it works!!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
Zigman

I suspect the DAB+ stations are also broadcasting SUNA information. Some of the DAB+ stations also have the "TP" indicator next to the station name.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #22
asteele-xr6

In UK/Europe, TP (also sometimes referred to as TA) on a radio station would mean that the station is able to instruct your media player to interrupt whatever it is playing for you in order to let you hear a local traffic news update.

As an example, you could be listening to a BBC national radio station but a local BBC station (part of the TA/TP network) that you are not tuned into could have local traffic news, so your listening to one channel would be automatically interrupted so you can hear a local traffic news update. This is over 20 year old technology, but quite neat that you get the traffic news from a local BBC station that you never usually listen to!

Somehow your radio would be able to decide that you were travelling in an area serviced by the local station.

You could be tuned to a radio station but have the volume set very low or at zero, and a traffic news bulletin would override at a normal volume so you didn't miss it.

Some stations weren't very good at turning off the broadcast notification at the end of the update, which meant you ended up listening to several minutes of the local stations content before it switches back to the station you were on before.

If you were not listening to a BBC station, then you didn't benefit from the network of stations around the country - but your preferred non-BBC station would still be able to interrupt your CD to play you a traffic news update.

I am not sure how this all translates to how it works today, but I hoped by sharing what I used to see happen in the UK 20 years ago might be somehow helpful.

I drove to Sydney from Canberra today and could see some markings on the map to show roadworks and congestion, which I have never seen shown in Canberra before.

I didn't get "interrupted" with any traffic news updates - not sure that I have ever seen this work in Australia actually, but since I am mostly just in Canberra (which is such a small city) - I am not surprised.

DAB is awesome, and you can really tell the massive increase in sound quality when compared to FM. It does however stop when you are a few KM out of Canberra though :(