Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #31
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: OBDII Adaptors

That was my next move, in conjunction with checking it on the week end.

No symptoms to speak of I was driving it to pick up the kids (typical tropics heavy rain) and it ran like normal, but I do have my sneaky suspicions that I'm not getting any engine braking like I use to. Feels more like the rpm drops to idle speeds and it rolls on, be it from 60/80/100kph (could be in my head).
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #32
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australian supplier of OBDLink bluetooth adapters now has stock with free shipping $135. They had been out of stock for a while.

http://australianrobotics.com.au/pro...ooth-scan-tool
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #33
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

lol out of stock now rondeo
Old 13-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #34
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

It died on me last week so just under 6mths since the last time, again no error code except for ABS incomplete shutdown, to which I've found it's not uncommon with forscan. Simply put Forscan flags it as the Module doesn't give info (perhaps locked) but the system is ok.

I also did a trans flush with this service, so whilst I had access to more areas I removed/inspected/cleaned every connection and harness to find something but nothing showed up. I do have a wet spot where the MAP sensor is right at the point where the single intake tube is, then splits to individual plenum. Intake air vibration flap?!?!

something to look into later, I did pull all the fuses in relation to module power or important systems and noticed all of the mini blade fuse legs were tarnished (even though they're still serviceable and tbh fine). Considering nothing is getting flagged it makes me think along power issues including the battery.

So I shot gunned them all replacing them. Time will tell how that goes. Might have to look into the battery, I noticed it has an RACQ battery so it's been replaced before.
Old 14-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #35
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe a list to make (one day) -

Possible causes of failure but no DTC set?

e.g. Wheel falling off, momentary loss of spark etc.

Not to mention Aussie birds, mammals!

Last edited by rondeo; 14-06-2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 15-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #36
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
It died on me last week so just under 6mths since the last time, again no error code except for ABS incomplete shutdown
When you say the car died, is that just engine stopped/stalled or do you lose all electrics as well?

Were you looking for DTCs immediately after the car stopped, or after you'd restarted the engine? I have found out the hard way that certain codes may not be persisted after the ignition has been turned off/cycled, you need to look before switching off. Of course you won't have a lot choice in the matter if the car is shutting down completely on its own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #37
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
When you say the car died, is that just engine stopped/stalled or do you lose all electrics as well?

Were you looking for DTCs immediately after the car stopped, or after you'd restarted the engine? I have found out the hard way that certain codes may not be persisted after the ignition has been turned off/cycled, you need to look before switching off. Of course you won't have a lot choice in the matter if the car is shutting down completely on its own...
Sorry I didn't see your post till now, I'm looking to update my findings.

The engine stalls is what was happening, I still have all electrics. That last stall I still managed to start the engine whilst still rolling (neutral start) and it was fine. I immediately went to look for an error code but found nothing. No doubt for the exact reasons you've mentioned.

That last event all I had done was disconnect the PCM and inspect the connection, nothing was out of the ordinary no water/dust ingress or anything to that effect. So I looked at the fuses and didn't like what I saw. Bought a $20 mini blade fuse kit and shot gunned them all. I also did a trans flush at the time so was able to look at the harness all round underneath.

I can happily say it's just over 2mths since the fuse swap and no engine stalls have returned, but I'm sill monitoring and hope that if it lasts 12mths then I feel I've got it. One instant change from the reconnection of the PCM and fuses being replaced is the transmission behaviour.

When accelerating normal or slowly it use to get to any top gear for the speed far to early; coasting down to stop it never changed at all until you were nearly stationary or at idle rpm levels, if you put your foot on the accelerator for a rolling start it would think about it then change but it felt like it was slightly slower to work it out. I only figured it out after a complete fan replacement was done at the start of the year and noticed how much more peppy the trans felt. But that lasted a couple of days and went back to usual slack mode.

But now it feels alive and is choosing gears at what feels right at the best time and changing down just the same given multiple scenarios that I've driven/tested in. It's not stalled on me since I did it on the 12th June 2mths ago and the shifting behaviour is still sweet.

It's always been good for 0-80 0-120 60-80-100 with or without a fully loaded vehicle.

And now with the new suspension omg....brilliant is an understatement and a half.

that's all I've got currently but I feel I'm heading in the right direction.

edit: I had thoughts of running my own fuel line from the filter to the pump but I'll keep that for another time because I'm not convinced an air leak is the culprit considering it's so far in between issues.

All voltages are stable and nominal with nothing sticking out. Fuel Pressures and controls are nominal also.

Last edited by cobrin; 15-08-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 30-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #38
Lawry
Starter Motor

So who is using what and how have you guys found them to be functionality wise?
Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #39
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I'm still using Forscan on android, but I've got to get a laptop into the mix. Still Forscan but I'd like so use some other scanners out there.

It stalled lastnight so that's not good. Back to the drawing board.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #40
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://australianrobotics.com.au/pr...ooth-scan-tool

Left in the car so it's immediately available anytime ignition switch is on.
No problems with mine, one in each car. Forscan on the phone and laptop.
Paid for itself in diagnostic time when there was a faulty turbo control (electronic vacuum modulator) and limp mode (no turbo gutless wonder)

Bike went under left rear wheel and was a complete write off, no damage to car.

Last edited by rondeo; 04-10-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #41
Lawry
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
I'm still using Forscan on android, but I've got to get a laptop into the mix. Still Forscan but I'd like so use some other scanners out there.

It stalled lastnight so that's not good. Back to the drawing board.

Hey Corbin, which scanner are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #42
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

It's cobrin lol ;)

first post has a link - Konnwei Model: KW902, under $20 has supplied software but more importantly is compatible Forscan. I'm also thinking of modding it to access MSCAN seeing as Forscan suspects it can. HSCAN is good from the get go.

I also have F-super usb obd2 cable but I'm thinking of making my own PCB and getting a genuine LM327 chip and hopefully an uptodate serial to usb converter chip to run later windows versions. These fakes out there seem to be limited to XP because of the serial to usb chip.

Last edited by cobrin; 05-10-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 14-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #43
Lawry
Starter Motor

Sorry cobrin! You can thank autocorrect for that one!

Before I moved into construction management I was a helicopter electronics technician so I really like to be able to run diagnostics on things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #44
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As previouslly noted, I use the bluetooth adapter because (from experience) when the car goes into limp mode DTC's may be erased if you turn the key to 0 position. A subject needing more investigation I think.

With OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter I get HS and MS CAN, and if in limp mode I would pull over and use the phone to see what's what, without turning the engine off.

I have personally noticed disappearing DTC's, thats why I use OBDLinkMX.
Well worth the slightly extra cost.
The plastic lid needs a bit ground off, that's also well worth it.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #45
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trivia question: How many lines of code in a modern car?

https://www.eitdigital.eu/news-event...lines-of-code/
2 users like this post: