Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Coolant change

After 5 years and 68,000 km, I thought that it was time to change the coolant on the MB. As I was doing the annual oil change, this seemed like the perfect time.

But what a mission to remove the plastic panel under the front bumper. There are so many clips and screws that I decided to leave it for another day!

You would have to wonder why Ford made it so difficult. On the Accord, I just reach down to the lower radiator tank and undo the drain plug. Surely it doesn't have to be this difficult???

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 30-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Coolant change

lol there are a few aren't there (iirc 13 or 15). Mine is worse in that Ford Moorooka used several types of screws so more mismatching and some missing, muppets, the underbody tray has what 6 mounting points, mine uses 4 and they're all fu$%*d. One job for the holiday period lol

it's partly like that to keep the diesel noise as low as they could expect.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are actually 10 for the tray - 7 screws, 2 plastic clips on the sides that break, and a metal clip at the front.

2 of the plastic threaded inserts on mine are stripped thanks to the skilled techs at both main Ford dealers in Auckland.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I bought the LX the engine and battery cover were both trashed and several screws missing under warranty. They weren't too impressed when I suggested lube the cover ball connectors with rubber grease. The service guy said he was worried I didn't like him, I said I was trying to (just a light-hearted exchange) Soap is specified by Ford I think.

The undertray has two plastic clips to hold it until you put the seven screws in. I've been using a small cordless driver and 10mm nut runner. The driver is so weak it stalls at about the right torque.

Last edited by rondeo; 01-12-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: addition
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL. It was a real mission to get the engine cover off the first time, so I used some silicone spray. 5 years later it's still fine.