Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #31
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Wingers

What about the people who build next to quarries and then complain about the trucks the dust and the noise
did they buy a house sight unseen?
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #32
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
all the people who bought houses near the speedway are now complaining about the noise. Apparently, if you knew the speedway was there, it doesn't matter.
Absolutely pathetic, someone needs to pass some kind of law prohibiting the tear down of an already exsisting structure if a housing estate is built near by. At least we know QR is safe lol and Lakeside for the time being
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #33
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebro
I heard the owners of the land were going to build another Oran park circuit, and fix the few issues with the first one, could just be hear say.

I heard that little gem when was when I was over at Oran Park last year at an event.
Yeah that's what the word on the street was, but those plans have been abandoned.

Some more pics.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #34
jason71
google is my friend

Are they going to keep part of the original track as a road for the new housing development?
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #35
MAV50L
Banned

It certainly sucks.
Feel like chopping the locks on the gate one night and heading in and doing some helis on it just so I have at least done it before its all gone.............
I believe the owners of Oran Park were the Leppington Pasteral Company.
It really shows how much of a minority motorsport people are. Yeah Sydney needs more homes desperately , especially in the west. But all this land gets reserved as Nature Corridors etc as there is a huge amount of people who protest it and places like Oran Park which gave a lot back to the community get demolished.
All about numbers to the Government , it is sad.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #36
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R.I.P Oran Park
I see the developers are quite happy to list the items in the sale notice as 'historical memorabillia' from such a 'memorable' place, then on the other hand just tear it out of the ground.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #37
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: RIP Oran Park

Time lapse of Oran Park for those who are curious to where the circuit was relative to the new development.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #38
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and in 20 years time people will be complaining (belly aching about contaminated soil etc etc and the stupid govmint will pay millions for remedial groundwork.

old old song....little houses on the hill side
little houses made of ticky tacky
little houses all the same..

thank god Iam a country boy. (old man)
Old 13-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #39
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went past there a few weeks ago for the first time since the track was closed.
Couldn't believe it! Dam hasn't that place grown in population in the last 10 years..
Very sad imho.
Old 13-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #40
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually surprised it hasn't been filled with more houses than it has over that 7 year time lapse.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #41
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tree huggers and yuppies, crabby old farts and property developers will rejoice that Oran Park has been gobbled up over the years..Motoring fans and enthusiasts will not ...It sucks .. About a decade ago we had a keen bunch of cart enthusiasts who procured some otherwise useless land to build our East Coast of Tassie only carting track .

A couple of do gooder neighbours complained and the cat wee weak local council caved in ...Since then some of that land has ugly sheds all over it and the intrepid carters gave up in disgust after a couple more attempts to get what would have been a great new initiative going...

Nowadays the carters have to travel at least 140 kms to enjoy their sport when a local track could have been amazing ..

Losing tracks like Oran or not getting a chance to build new venues for motor sport leave's ya cold IMO..

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-08-2018 at 08:20 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #42
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Actually surprised it hasn't been filled with more houses than it has over that 7 year time lapse.
Seeing as that only goes to 2016- i would say it would be closer to triple that now, including Fringe areas, and new estates that are now built off Oran Park.

at close to $1000.00/ sq metre for land in these estates, can see why.
Shame for an old historic track...but yeah.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #43
BlueEA

Out of all the circuits around Sydney, Oran park was my favorite it was such a great circuit with plenty of spectator space that if you got there reasonably early you could set up a small annex right up the back on top of the hill sit back have a barbie/picnic a few bears or walk down to the fence at the side of the track and be close to the action and have a great day.
I rarely missed a meeting. The night meetings I really enjoyed they were a great spectacle. I had the privilege to watch the now legends of the sport battle it out like the Geoghans, Moffat, Beechey,Jane,Bartlett,Warren etc. Then there was this guy named Peter Brock also Dick Johnson just to name a few. It was a great place for motor racing. Such a shame.

Cheers
Grahame.
BlueEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #44
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Seeing as that only goes to 2016- i would say it would be closer to triple that now, including Fringe areas, and new estates that are now built off Oran Park.

at close to $1000.00/ sq metre for land in these estates, can see why.
Shame for an old historic track...but yeah.
Yep, it is a lot more dense than that now.
I have a mate who rented 2 places in there - the houses are so close together you can reach out the window and touch the house next door - I'm not exaggerating either!

It was the first track I ever drove on, Ian and Warren Luff practically lived there - over the rise through the dogleg and then downhill into Recaro corner and then let it run all the way out to the "drive on milk" sign as you come on to the straight, short track but heaps of fun.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Not much green (grass, trees etc) going on
Old 14-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #46
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's still expanding ... further north where there is green grass ... will end up housing as well (the dairy farmers have sold that off ready for more housing).

And in the next 10 years ... just up the road ... the new airport will be in place ... Luddenham will be bypassed and the Northern Rd completely different. Most of the housing out Badgery's creek has been acquired and fenced off/bulldozed now.

Long before all this .... that same sort of thing happened to Amaroo Park as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #47
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

slightly off topic, but i want to check out this old forgotten race track in the Blue Mountains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Park
https://www.speedcafe.com/2013/10/17...catalina-park/

some good pics:
http://www.speedwayandroadracehistor...k-raceway.html

Last edited by Mont5.0; 14-08-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Mont5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #48
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I've walked Catalina a few times. It's a complete circuit still but in bad condition now.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #49
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think there is an old thread in the Photography forum ... with pics of Catalina in there as well.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...light=Catalina

Last edited by Mechan1k; 14-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I've walked Catalina a few times. It's a complete circuit still but in bad condition now.
I never realised it .... but I have been to the Aquatic Centre just out the front ... and never realised that the track was immediately behind it in the bush.

Next time i am in the area I will definitely have a look at it.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #51
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEA View Post
Out of all the circuits around Sydney, Oran park was my favorite it was such a great circuit with plenty of spectator space that if you got there reasonably early you could set up a small annex right up the back on top of the hill sit back have a barbie/picnic a few bears or walk down to the fence at the side of the track and be close to the action and have a great day.
I rarely missed a meeting. The night meetings I really enjoyed they were a great spectacle. I had the privilege to watch the now legends of the sport battle it out like the Geoghans, Moffat, Beechey,Jane,Bartlett,Warren etc. Then there was this guy named Peter Brock also Dick Johnson just to name a few. It was a great place for motor racing. Such a shame.

Cheers
Grahame.
Here here mate, count me in back in those days.
It was also a time when Gossy's budget wasn't that good but being typical Gossy he'd always put on a show, a show of blown motor smoke "poof bang".
He'd take off like a scolded cat get to the front and pedal to the metal as long as he could get out of it making a lead - then "poofbang" there goes Gossy lol......

Hey Sioso, FYI back in the real big days the corner onto the straight was always famously known as BP Bend, recaro wouldn't have even been in back then.
Your right though about making use of every single mm when exiting the corner to shoot down the straight - the amount of side mirrors wiped out, rear qrtrs scrapping the concrete barrier was to die for watching let me tell you.

Toby Lee Series.
Some epic huge ATTC rounds - night racing first introduced as mentioned.

My love of Ford and more so Moff originated from Oran and Amaroo Park.

Supports eventuated with the Sports Sedans.
That Bryan Thomson always had some beasts, a chev powered VW Fastback !
First time I/we saw Jim Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang.

Heck I even went to watch Mr Motocross Series that was held on the land behind BP Bend - that was epic as well those days.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #52
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Here here mate, count me in back in those days.
It was also a time when Gossy's budget wasn't that good but being typical Gossy he'd always put on a show, a show of blown motor smoke "poof bang".
He'd take off like a scolded cat get to the front and pedal to the metal as long as he could get out of it making a lead - then "poofbang" there goes Gossy lol......

Hey Sioso, FYI back in the real big days the corner onto the straight was always famously known as BP Bend, recaro wouldn't have even been in back then.
Your right though about making use of every single mm when exiting the corner to shoot down the straight - the amount of side mirrors wiped out, rear qrtrs scrapping the concrete barrier was to die for watching let me tell you.

Toby Lee Series.
Some epic huge ATTC rounds - night racing first introduced as mentioned.

My love of Ford and more so Moff originated from Oran and Amaroo Park.

Supports eventuated with the Sports Sedans.
That Bryan Thomson always had some beasts, a chev powered VW Fastback !
First time I/we saw Jim Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang.

Heck I even went to watch Mr Motocross Series that was held on the land behind BP Bend - that was epic as well those days.
yeah I remember my dad taking me to watch street cars drag race down the straight (even though it was slightly downhill), that was 40yrs ago, give or take a year - I clearly remember one time a pair of 265 Hemi Chargers beating everything they lined up against.

found this on youtube but it's from '91

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #53
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Also loved the truck racing series that was always great fun at Oran Park as well.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #54
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's sad, at least I got to drive my FPV GT around it with no limitations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7O5ioFLJUk&t=2s

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #55
roKWiz
Cabover nut

That sucks, I spent most of my weekends as a teenager hanging around Oran and Amaroo park raceways.
I live just up the road from Winton now. Motorbikes this weekend with the Supertrucks series coming up in September.

Don't know about other state laws but here in country Victoria they brought in a "due diligence" law to stop new home buyers wingeing about existing home owners, airports, raceways, farms, quarries or businesses.
If it was there first, tuff.

Does anyone remember or know if Luddenham Farm is still in operation.

Last edited by roKWiz; 17-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: