Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Pina
Starter Motor

Default Servicing schedule

Greetings All!
We have a MB Zetec wagon 2009 model, which we purchased 2nd hand 3 years ago. In a nutshell, I am delighted with this vehicle. Current speedo is 74,500 km and we do about 7,000 km each year (retirees). Yesterday's 90,000 km service (I have an annual service performed at the regional Ford service centre)caused me some concern, which I will now explain.

When I booked the service my quote was $290 - their capped price (included in that is the annual RACQ fee which is refunded once I have paid my RACQ membership). I have been a member of RACQ for 40 years and I have no idea why Ford have tacked this extra charge onto their service even if there is a refund.
So, on arrival, I am told by the servuce rep that the coolant and brake fluid are due to be replaced at the 90,000 km service. OK, so how much will that cost? The reply of $230 on top of the $290 standard service was a shock. The rep then asked if I would like to have it done this time, but budgeting on only the quoted $290, I declined. At the time I thought to myself...surely the coolant and brake fluid could be checked and topped if necessary at the standard $290 service. Once home I checked the manual schedule and saw nothing in it to suggest that replacing the coolant and brake fluid was due at 90,000 km (remember that I've servicing at 74,500 km).

I am not sure if the service rep was trying to wangle more dollars out of me or if he was legitimate. Of course now I'm worried that because this was not done, and (heaven forbid) this will affect the car's perfect operation.

After dealing with the Ford dealership's service division for over 25 years, I am now considering taking my car to the Toyota dealer. I feel that the former are becoming too greedy. Does anyone agree with this?

When I asked how much it would cost to replace a battery in the spare key, the, $70 reply also surprised. Our local Mr Minit quoted me around $25. Should I let Mr Minit do this?

Finally where to most Mondeo owners have their vehicles serviced...at Ford or elsewhere?

Many thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Pina
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
4cyl_Turbo

Default Re: Servicing schedule

Presuming you have the 2.3 petrol engine.
Brakee fluid is replaced every 2 yrs at about $80, so if this was the 6yr/90,000km service it was due.
The coolant is replaced every 10yrs according to the ford webpage, so not due.
The $290 fixed price doesn't include extras, like brake fluid, coolant & timing belt. They will all add on to the $290 when they are due.

2009 model, shouldn't that mean it was the 7yr/105k service?

Look up how to replace the remote battery online or in the owners manual and do it yourself for less than $10.
2018 Ford Focus SA Titanium - white (current)
4cyl_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
empee82
Starter Motor

Hi Pina,
I'm not sure how much the fluids would cost but I would have done the same as you if quoted that much. I wouldn't be too worried it will affect the cars performance if it's only getting light use.
$70 is pretty steep to change a battery, I did mine myself but $25 sounds more reasonable to me. You just have to prise the key apart without damaging the plastic, Mr Mint should be well practiced at it.
I've booked in for my 90k service next week at a new mechanic so will see how I go. I stopped going to the Ford dealer as they were good in the beginning but found their overall service not meeting my needs later on.
empee82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Pina
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyl_Turbo View Post
Presuming you have the 2.3 petrol engine.
Brakee fluid is replaced every 2 yrs at about $80, so if this was the 6yr/90,000km service it was due.
The coolant is replaced every 10yrs according to the ford webpage, so not due.
The $290 fixed price doesn't include extras, like brake fluid, coolant & timing belt. They will all add on to the $290 when they are due.

2009 model, shouldn't that mean it was the 7yr/105k service?

Look up how to replace the remote battery online or in the owners manual and do it yourself for less than $10.
Yes it's the petrol model. Log books and servicing are up to date, it's just that we only drive about 7,000 per year.
I will have the brake fluid replaced at the 105,000 service next year.
Thanks.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Pina
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by empee82 View Post
Hi Pina,
I'm not sure how much the fluids would cost but I would have done the same as you if quoted that much. I wouldn't be too worried it will affect the cars performance if it's only getting light use.
$70 is pretty steep to change a battery, I did mine myself but $25 sounds more reasonable to me. You just have to prise the key apart without damaging the plastic, Mr Mint should be well practiced at it.
I've booked in for my 90k service next week at a new mechanic so will see how I go. I stopped going to the Ford dealer as they were good in the beginning but found their overall service not meeting my needs later on.
Could be that our Ford dealer takes advantage of loyal customers.Mr Minit gets the job for the key.
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pina View Post
Yes it's the petrol model. Log books and servicing are up to date, it's just that we only drive about 7,000 per year.
I will have the brake fluid replaced at the 105,000 service next year.
Thanks.
It's out of warranty, so only requirement for suggested maintenance is for your own piece of mind.

Low km's can also be bad for motor oil as it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the impurities.

As a retiree, if physically able, maybe look into self maintenance.
It will minimise your costs and give you something to do inbetween golf, bowls, bingo and Bridge. ;o)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
Pina
Starter Motor

Quote:
It's out of warranty, so only requirement for suggested maintenance is for your own piece of mind.

Low km's can also be bad for motor oil as it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the impurities.

As a retiree, if physically able, maybe look into self maintenance.
It will minimise your costs and give you something to do inbetween golf, bowls, bingo and Bridge. ;o)
Yes, quite true re the low kilometers. Taxis run into their 300,000's
I doubt I'd venture into the maintenance game myself...bit messy, but thanks for the idea!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
Pina
Starter Motor

Just another service related query....
I asked for the battery to be checked and it tested low, i.e. 52% health.
I read that batteries normally last 4-6 years. Do you think it will last another 2 months?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pina View Post
Just another service related query....
I asked for the battery to be checked and it tested low, i.e. 52% health.
I read that batteries normally last 4-6 years. Do you think it will last another 2 months?
Impossible to tell really.
Have you noticed during starting that it is any slower to start?

It will get worse as the weather gets colder, as batteries struggle more in the cold.
If you are a member of a road service, they will replace it for you once it does die. If planning on a trip away, may be prudent to replace it.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Pina
Starter Motor

Quote:
Impossible to tell really.
Have you noticed during starting that it is any slower to start?

It will get worse as the weather gets colder, as batteries struggle more in the cold.
If you are a member of a road service, they will replace it for you once it does die. If planning on a trip away, may be prudent to replace it.
I have relied on RACQ for replacements in the past...excellent service. The car won't be used much over the next 2 months and it's starts well 95% of the time.No cold weather starts in Yeppoon .
Old 01-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Binny

Might be worth finding yourself a good local mechanic prior to the next service. If you haven't had the brakes done yet you had better be sitting down when they quote you for pads and rotors. At the 90,000 service I was told my rear brakes "have 2000km remaining" and it was over $600 for pads and rotors. I'd hate to think how much the front ones are.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
cyclone1410

I do a similar amount of kays per year (around 7,000) due to use of public transport and spending too much time at work. I use the Fraud dealer for the main yearly service (still under warranty) and a trusted local mechanic for an intermediate to replace the oil and filter. Main reason for the extra service is the abundance of short trips the car takes. Costs around $200 with the good oil plus I get a chance to have a bit of a good look underneath the car each time.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
bundybear75

You lucky people and your 7000km per year........

I do between 1000 & 1200km per week. No access to public transport and shift work so odd hours and unable to carpool.

I'm happy though as my fuel bill has dropped from 100/120 litres in my old Commodore to about 65 litres per week in the Mondeo.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 05:15 AM   #14
Pina
Starter Motor

You can understand why some retirees rely on public transport and have groceries delivered. The convenience of car ownership is becoming a pricey item.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be popping in here more frequently to learn about our Mondeo.
Cheers,
Pina